PDA

View Full Version : mxm on g750jx?

Mangame
06-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Can I upload a nvidia geforce770m with a gtx780m on an asus g750?
Thank you

Clerbois
06-27-2013, 07:29 AM
I'm not an expert... but definitely I'd say: no.

G750 is not a very upgradable machine.
More, I read that the gtx780m model will be thicker, with improved cooling. So...

Mangame
06-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks. How much does the version with gtx780m cost?

Pitcher@asus
06-27-2013, 07:41 AM
asus do not agree you change any part without HDD and DIMM.

AntDX316
06-27-2013, 08:24 AM
I talked to an Asus rep and they said you can upgrade through Best Buy or Buy because they are authorized Asus service centers.

If the parts and compatibility turn out as ok it would work.

Thicker cooling on the JH so they can keep the ambient noise low as possible.

I feel if you are plugging in (thick carryon for travel) you should just bring a thunderbolt egpu set which exceeds the 780M performance actual.

The HD4600 at 1.5GHz is suffice to not bog down on websites and high resolution multimedia video.

More, I read that the gtx780m model will be thicker, with improved cooling. So...

Zygomorphic
06-27-2013, 10:22 AM

The 780M, if it is anything like the previous generations of nVidia laptop cards, is a higher TDP card than the 770M. Thus, it is no woner that the computer might be thicker, since ASUS wouldn't likely want the noise - or temps - to increase.

_
06-27-2013, 10:52 AM
The card does use an MXM slot but it's not interchangable as the board design is custom to the shape of the casing/around the fan. Also, you cannot upgrade to a higher power model due to power/cooling restrictions. The GTX 780 model has a larger physical chassis to compensate for more cooling, more VRMs (and bigger power brick).

Only 2x HDD and 2x DIMM are changable without warranty loss (if you're upgrading yourself).

Zygomorphic
06-27-2013, 03:24 PM
Only 2x HDD and 2x DIMM are changable without warranty loss (if you're upgrading yourself).

Please make all the RAM user-upgradeable in the future. :o It will make all the upgrade geeks really happy.

rewben
06-28-2013, 01:05 AM
Please make all the RAM user-upgradeable in the future. :o It will make all the upgrade geeks really happy.

+999!

it's a sad news to me that i cannot go for higher end cpu's :/

_
06-28-2013, 01:30 AM
4 DIMM is very difficult. On older models they stacked so it was thicker, but now we can't do that and there's not enough space side by side forthen all, plus, the tracing wouldn't support it.

AntDX316
06-28-2013, 02:06 AM
The battery's are all the same for the 3 models. People have stepped up to better gpus successfully by changing the power adapter and cooling system.

Going 780M as a true desktop replacement is bad because it's still 40% slower than a 680 GTX.

The card does use an MXM slot but it's not interchangable as the board design is custom to the shape of the casing/around the fan. Also, you cannot upgrade to a higher power model due to power/cooling restrictions. The GTX 780 model has a larger physical chassis to compensate for more cooling, more VRMs (and bigger power brick).

Zygomorphic
06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
4 DIMM is very difficult. On older models they stacked so it was thicker, but now we can't do that and there's not enough space side by side forthen all, plus, the tracing wouldn't support it.

Sounds like you solves your problem. :) Just make it a little thicker, and all the problems go away. :) We don't care if it is a little ticker, provided that we can upgrade more stuff - the soul of ROG.

chri5d3an
06-28-2013, 09:45 PM
sounds like you solves your problem. :) just make it a little thicker, and all the problems go away. :) we don't care if it is a little ticker, provided that we can upgrade more stuff - the soul of rog.

YES this is an ROG not a Mac. besides nothing wrong with a girl with some meat on her bones ;)

Shawnnepc
06-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Sounds like you solves your problem. :) Just make it a little thicker, and all the problems go away. :) We don't care if it is a little ticker, provided that we can upgrade more stuff - the soul of ROG.

These really aren't marketed for upgradeability and I don't see ASUS ever moving from that. The ROG branding is pretty much anything gamer or high performance and that doesn't mean automatically mean it's upgradeable/overclockable

Allowing users to upgrade their units will increase the amount of tech support requests and put a burden on ASUS support which will require additional staffing. That'll lead to increased costs on the unit.

ASUS isn't really geared towards that type of business.

There's other manufactures out there that specialize in this type of laptop but they're not close to the build quality or reliability as the ASUS laptops.

Zygomorphic
06-30-2013, 12:39 AM
YES this is an ROG not a Mac. besides nothing wrong with a girl with some meat on her bones ;)
Second that. I am not asking for total upgradability, especially now that I think about what @Shawnnepc said. Total upgradability would increase the number of service calls from people who weren't really qualified to do the upgrades. I would like all the RAM and HDD slots to be easily accessible, since that would make for upgrades without reducing the build quality (I like my 2 HDD 15" laptop). :)

_
07-02-2013, 06:42 AM

Overwhelmingly customer feedback at point of sale and online has been consistently for thinner, lighter models, not fatter sorry. We have to take the voice of the whole.