PDA

View Full Version : G74Sx Fresco Logic USB3 Host Controller is not found! [solved?]

XZ3R0
06-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Been searching the internet and these forums for days now. Can't seem to find a solution to this problem.

Model: G74Sx-DH73-3D
I just did a fresh install, first thing I did was install chipset drivers but now I can't get my USB 3.0 port working and when I try to install the host controller i get "Fresco Logic USB3 Host Controller is not found!"

I seem to have a bunch of usb controllers in device manager (i feel like too many?)
Anyone know what to do here?

http://i.imgur.com/wBZHf3b.png
http://i.imgur.com/iKlw6am.png

Chino
06-27-2013, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the ROG forums, XZ3R0.

What is the exact modelo of your laptop?

XZ3R0
06-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Opps, G74Sx-DH73-3D

Chino
06-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Are you downloading the driver from the Asus website or from another site? And is your Windows 32Bit or 64Bit?

Pitcher@asus
06-28-2013, 01:58 AM
what OS version do you install? win 7 or win 8? ASUS have not provide Win 8 driver.

XZ3R0
06-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Are you downloading the driver from the Asus website or from another site? And is your Windows 32Bit or 64Bit?
Ive tried the ones off the ASUS site that are listed for my laptop and i have tried newer ones as well. same outcome.
Windows 7 64bit.

It's like it doesn't know it exists. Plugging something into the port does absolutely nothing as well. Working fine before reformat.

Chino
06-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Are there any "unknown device" entries in Hardware Manager? And have you tried plugging a pendrive into the USB 3.0 port to see if it's working?

XZ3R0
06-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Are there any "unknown device" entries in Hardware Manager? And have you tried plugging a pendrive into the USB 3.0 port to see if it's working?
No there isn't. [see photo in first post]
Yes, several [see last reply]

Edit: i will add, it powers up an external hdd, but obviously i don't get any notification about a new device or see it in explorer or etc.

Chino
06-28-2013, 03:04 AM
Ok. I'll need you to do the following.

1. Open Windows Power Management or Asus Power4Gear.
2. Disable the USB power saving options.
3. Proceed to uninstall all those USB devices that are in your picture.
4. Reboot.
5. Windows will start installing the standard USB drivers upon reboot.
6. Download and install USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/USB3.0/USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip).

Report back.

XZ3R0
06-28-2013, 03:17 AM
Ok. I'll need you to do the following.

1. Open Windows Power Management or Asus Power4Gear.
2. Disable the USB power saving options.
3. Proceed to uninstall all those USB devices that are in your picture.
4. Reboot.
5. Windows will start installing the standard USB drivers upon reboot.
6. Download and install USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/USB3.0/USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35240.zip).

Report back.

Disabled selective suspending on USB.
Uninstalled all drivers (and deleted the one that gave me the option)
Reboot
Windows reinstalled drivers
Same error when attempting to install Fresco Host Controller

Now drivers look like this:
http://i.imgur.com/d0tGPd8.png

Chino
06-28-2013, 03:29 AM
Open Device Manager again. Click the View option and select Show Hidden Devices. Does anything show up?

Also out of pure curiosity, have you installed AI Suite or ASUS Ai Charger Plus by any chance?

XZ3R0
06-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Open Device Manager again. Click the View option and select Show Hidden Devices. Does anything show up?

Also out of pure curiosity, have you installed AI Suite or ASUS Ai Charger Plus by any chance?

Nothing new in the USB controllers. and nothing else stood out.
I had Charger Plus installed but uninstalled it after reading other posts about it causing problems.

cl-Albert
06-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Ive tried the ones off the ASUS site that are listed for my laptop and i have tried newer ones as well. same outcome.
Windows 7 64bit.

It's like it doesn't know it exists. Plugging something into the port does absolutely nothing as well. Working fine before reformat.

Sounds like there should be some kind of software issue (?), but not sure what the problem is.

1. Did you install the Intel Chipset/INF and ATK driver and did they seem to install okay?

2. Whenever I run into strange software issues, it often seems related to the .Net framework software, so you might also try installing all the important Windows updates and checking your .Net framework version?

I don't know how device manager will look if that USB 3.0 driver is not installed, so hopefully we can get more information and help from other G74Sx owners.

Also, I wonder if it's normal that the USB 3.0 port doesn't work at all when the USB 3.0 driver isn't installed.

XZ3R0
06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
Sounds like there should be some kind of software issue (?), but not sure what the problem is.

1. Did you install the Intel Chipset/INF and ATK driver and did they seem to install okay?

2. Whenever I run into strange software issues, it often seems related to the .Net framework software, so you might also try installing all the important Windows updates and checking your .Net framework version?

I don't know how device manager will look if that USB 3.0 driver is not installed, so hopefully we can get more information and help from other G74Sx owners.

Also, I wonder if it's normal that the USB 3.0 port doesn't work at all when the USB 3.0 driver isn't installed.

Yes, everything has,and continues to install fine. I have no issues besides this. Thinking about reformatting again but i just got everything setup and I really rather not just cause of ONE thing.
I have installed all Windows updates (including .net 4.5 framework)

XZ3R0
06-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Well i got it working. I don't exactly know how though. I was trying to connect to a wifi network and i couldn't after typing in the password (i have a third-party wireless card btw). In an attempt to get the wifi to work i uninstalled the wireless card drivers and suddenly there were 2 thing in the device manager without drivers. The card and something that was USB. I was able to install the fresco driver and everything turned out great. Not sure if the wireless drivers were related or a coincidence but either way im happy now.