PDA

View Full Version : I returned my Asus G750JW

AntDX316
06-29-2013, 03:15 AM
I went with a 780M laptop for under 2k and a quarter.

I did this because the Asus factor of going custom instead of standard.

They don't have upgrade packages as the competition offers.

You would end up spending more money going 780M conversion than just getting 780M now.

The amount of money to go 780M conversion, or the JH model, would put you in the same amount of money as going with a dual 780M Haswell laptop.

I came from a G51JX-X5 and the screen glossy and touchpad setup felt a lot better than the G750JW.

I pity all you G750JH owners because you could of got a 780M for the same price somewhere else.

Going Egpu would be a stupid idea as, a 780M in house solution would supercede any egpu setup.

Egpu is only good for ultrabook with horrible in house graphics processing systems.

Going Egpu with a G750JW for the look is like always carrying prosthetics to go anywhere.

Having an unupgradable laptop is like having a girl who doesn't want to change to reach greater potential.

chri5d3an
06-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Hope there reading this

AntDX316
06-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Hope there reading this

who is they?

chri5d3an
06-29-2013, 04:25 AM
ASUS for customer feedback for future reference.

Xbcxbc
06-29-2013, 04:04 PM
I am, for one, very happy that the G750 screen is not glossy. I can't add much to your points but with a new HDD and 32 GB memory the G750 (for now) runs fine (well, for me - I don't plan on modding it since I use it for business more than for gaming).

Myk SilentShadow
06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Why do they need to have upgradeable options? there are three versions, one has the 780...what's wrong with that? you can upgrade the RAM and the HDD's...don't really need much more than that

Clerbois
07-01-2013, 09:03 AM
There is other brands with upradable hardware, so there is no problem. ;) But it's more expensive, or ugly.
And... I guess it's not so upgradable, isn't it? If you bought fo example a Clevo laptop with Geforce GTX 6XX, you couldn't put into a GTX 7xx, or a fourth generation i7 core... so is it really interesting? (Maybe I'm wrong?)

I think that Asus laptops are:
* not so expensive for what you get
* interesting for some features (double fan, 3D 120 Hz screens, Thunderbolt, Wifi AC)
* not too ugly (more or less sober)
* delivered with good bundle (backpack, headset, mouse)

Advantage of barebones laptop is you can choose only quality parts (best SSD, best RAM, best Wifi Card). Sometimes with Asus, you don't know what you get. :D (Like "bad" Wifi card in G75 for example, hard to change.) But overall, I think a G750 would be one of the best compromises... depending on what you want/need.

PS: It seems that for G750, SSD and wifi card are pretty good this time.

AntDX316
07-02-2013, 08:01 AM
I didn't go laptop route at all. I ended up getting a BenQ XL2420TE 144Hz 1ms flicker free monitor.

Might go Dual 780GTX to maintain 144fps after selling my 680 GTX. Only reason why I liked the laptop was the screen was small. I game on a 40" 240Hz Sony LED 3DTV but after putting back my 120Hz DVI-D Samsung 2233RZ 3D monitor.. the input lag difference is amazing.

adamsyes
07-02-2013, 08:23 AM
There is other brands with upradable hardware, so there is no problem. ;) But it's more expensive, or ugly.
And... I guess it's not so upgradable, isn't it? If you bought fo example a Clevo laptop with Geforce GTX 6XX, you couldn't put into a GTX 7xx, or a fourth generation i7 core... so is it really interesting? (Maybe I'm wrong?)

I think that Asus laptops are:
* not so expensive for what you get
* interesting for some features (double fan, 3D 120 Hz screens, Thunderbolt, Wifi AC)
* not too ugly (more or less sober)
* delivered with good bundle (backpack, headset, mouse)

Advantage of barebones laptop is you can choose only quality parts (best SSD, best RAM, best Wifi Card). Sometimes with Asus, you don't know what you get. :D (Like "bad" Wifi card in G75 for example, hard to change.) But overall, I think a G750 would be one of the best compromises... depending on what you want/need.

PS: It seems that for G750, SSD and wifi card are pretty good this time.

That is all and great. but you are favoring ASUS here instead of looking at the big picture.

ASUS G-Series were Known for their amazing cooling design. but now since the g75VW/VX. the "cooling" design was far past and beaten by other manufactures. that's the problem. right now what asus is offering with the G750 is pretty good, but not as good as other competitors, heck even an alienware sitting at 1,499$ basic stock has more features than asus for the same GPU/CPU between them.

What I am trying to say is, we have to agree that ASUS G-series has nothing to offer compared to other laptops besides it's cooling design which is getting old school now, either they innovate something for next year or they will fall behind. they can't just sit on their 4 years old innovation now? the only good thing about the G-Series is the cooling design, period nothing else. and I am talking about hardware design in overall not case, software or what not.

Look back at the G73, when it first came out. It made an excellent sells point and WHY it was a superior gaming laptop, it's dual fans cooling system was definitely a big plus. secondly it was the first? if not Laptop PC equipped 3D screen, aswell with a subwoofer.

now forward to the G750. I really don't see any "exciting" points of view for hardware to software. it's still the same innovation. nothing has been improved besides the case design for better/modern looks and of course typical GPU/CPU upgrades and other minor ones. in other terms. they've been refreshing the G73 through out 3 models in 3/4 years. G74/G75/G750 (and G55,46) although G46 was quiet an impressive. since it was a slim gaming laptop for a 14 inch and packed with impressive gear inside. I don't know but it seems asus was like "WE INNOVATED THE BEST COOLING DESIGN FOR GAMING LAPTOPS YAY! " goes and sits down and innovate nothing else.

Asus is doing fine as for right now. but they critically need to make a move and bring something new to give them a choice and a reason WHY the next G-series is something worth having. as for right now, their most best selling G-Series was and still is the G73-G74.

I am just a ordinary consumer, of course if ever this is been reviewing for feedback, they should consider that they haven't bring anything new to the table when competing with other manufactures. heck MSI has been putting some much new tech on their laptops for the past 2 years it's unbelievable how they surpass asus sells regardless even if it was an ugly laptop.

G750 Is great, but not worth buying when you can literally get for better stats and better price off from a other manufacturer

adamsyes
07-02-2013, 08:24 AM
oh and let's not forget, they had an iconic ideal theme for gaming laptop, which was the stealth fighter looks. well that has been faded away slowly. they should of really stick with it. the g750 theme isn't ASUS strong point themed for G-Series here. alienware is, anything futuristic is alienware's theme, Asus needs to stick with the stealth fighter seriously

AntDX316
07-03-2013, 02:41 AM
oh and let's not forget, they had an iconic ideal theme for gaming laptop, which was the stealth fighter looks. well that has been faded away slowly. they should of really stick with it. the g750 theme isn't ASUS strong point themed for G-Series here. alienware is, anything futuristic is alienware's theme, Asus needs to stick with the stealth fighter seriously

I thought the top would be brushed aluminum but it wasn't

17" should be a 780M minimum. There are laptops that house dual video cards at 17". Even a 15.6" houses a 780M elsewhere.

Going proprietary w/o the ability to upgrade when the competition does really would make every upgrader go somewhere else.

Asus should have upgrade packages available for people to ship their laptops in and purchase.

Asus went full best buy route which is good but imo the laptop was subpar supreme quality. Some of the LED lights weren't on every side of the key. The spacebar LED had the light on the left and not right and same with the Numpad bottom keys.

The inability to left click while holding right click with the touchpad drivers is ridiculous as a gaming laptop. You cannot aim and shoot at the same time in a game that requires you to hold right click. I emailed the touchpad company and said they only make drivers specific for the want of the manufacturer. They do not do private drivers.

You cannot scroll up and down w/o the drivers installed.

The top deck lid holds massive amounts of fingerprints that are hard to remove because of the rubber material.

The matte screen has tons of sparkles.

adamsyes
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
I thought the top would be brushed aluminum but it wasn't

17" should be a 780M minimum. There are laptops that house dual video cards at 17". Even a 15.6" houses a 780M elsewhere.

Going proprietary w/o the ability to upgrade when the competition does really would make every upgrader go somewhere else.

Asus should have upgrade packages available for people to ship their laptops in and purchase.

Asus went full best buy route which is good but imo the laptop was subpar supreme quality. Some of the LED lights weren't on every side of the key. The spacebar LED had the light on the left and not right and same with the Numpad bottom keys.

The inability to left click while holding right click with the touchpad drivers is ridiculous as a gaming laptop. You cannot aim and shoot at the same time in a game that requires you to hold right click. I emailed the touchpad company and said they only make drivers specific for the want of the manufacturer. They do not do private drivers.

You cannot scroll up and down w/o the drivers installed.

The top deck lid holds massive amounts of fingerprints that are hard to remove because of the rubber material.

The matte screen has tons of sparkles.

Indeed, well the Best buy routine isn't so bad, although they seem like they want to become a "non-brainer' easy cash brand for gamers. those who doesn't know much about laptops and just want a good gaming laptop, you know what I mean? but honestly they went from hardcore to casual here within 4 years. I love ROG, aswell ASUS of course. But if this is what their "vision" ends up being, meaning offering quality gimmicks with limited customization but maintaining unique aspect of ROG hardware just to make you get them..well this isn't working because I might aswell just get myself alienware with monthly payment or some sort of ways of obtaining an expansive laptop in a flexible payment, and getting the best out of an actual "gaming" laptop Enthusiast.

alas, ROG lacks strength in laptops domain in my opinion right now, the only reason it's stil supstain with reasonable sells is due to fans, true fans and of course customers with lack of knowledge in customization. But hey, if they can't offer that. well I guess they don't need enthusiast gamers then

Clerbois
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm not an expert in gaming laptops... and I'm not really a gamer. (Even if I'd like to be able to play.)
So, which technlology can you find elsewhere, and not with Asus G?

Maybe I'm wrong, but only with new Asus G you can have:
+ Thunderbolt
+ wifi ac
+ good double fan (still now!)
+ 3D 120Hz screen

+ good look
+ "standard" powerful CPU/GPU
+ good worldwide distribution
+ good price

Anyway, I guess that Alienware is good stuff, but really expensive!!! (At least in Europe.)
MSI are really ugly. (Subjective, of course! In fact, I don't like alienware either.)
Clevo or Sager are not so cheap... I tried a lot of configurations...
Razer is hard ton find, and a little bit weird and exepensive.

In fact, I don't see any reason to chose another laptop than Asus G. ;)
I'm just afraid about some little issues and/or bad drivers/quality on some parts... sometimes very disappointing.

delsol9400
07-03-2013, 03:53 PM
There's no 120HZ screen on the new G750 series. It's 60HZ non 3D There's also a problem with interference on the headphone jack creating crackle and pops in your headset. The matte screen is a little too matte... Too many sparkles... especially on white areas of the screen. Although, the laptop is
still priced the best compared to the competition. I guess you get what you pay for?

Clerbois
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM
In my country (and in many european countries), up to now there is ONLY G750 with 120Hz 3D screen! So the screen would be different, and hopefully I'd probably get none of these issues.
Of course, I would be very disappointed if I was the owner of a G750 whith "lines issue".

Interferences on the headphone jack is an annoying issue, for sure! (Like speaekers troubles on G75.)
Is it a widespread problem? Anyway, I don't use headset a lot... but I don't like this kind of malfunction.

PS: When I compare prices, I never find that Asus G are more expensive than other, it's weird...
I'm pretty sure that for a "full laptop" (Core i7, GTX 770M or 780M, at least 12G RAM, SDD+HDD, good looking, BD burner, good ventilation, ...Thunderbolt, Wifi ac, 120Hz screen), I'd hardly find somethnig cheaper or better than Asus.)

AntDX316
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm not an expert in gaming laptops... and I'm not really a gamer. (Even if I'd like to be able to play.)
So, which technlology can you find elsewhere, and not with Asus G?

Maybe I'm wrong, but only with new Asus G you can have:
+ Thunderbolt
+ wifi ac
+ good double fan (still now!)
+ 3D 120Hz screen

+ good look
+ "standard" powerful CPU/GPU
+ good worldwide distribution
+ good price

Anyway, I guess that Alienware is good stuff, but really expensive!!! (At least in Europe.)
MSI are really ugly. (Subjective, of course! In fact, I don't like alienware either.)
Clevo or Sager are not so cheap... I tried a lot of configurations...
Razer is hard ton find, and a little bit weird and exepensive.

In fact, I don't see any reason to chose another laptop than Asus G. ;)
I'm just afraid about some little issues and/or bad drivers/quality on some parts... sometimes very disappointing.

The competition gives you all those options too and more.

Rippah
07-03-2013, 09:37 PM
You keep mentioning the competition. Please show us these models that are comparable to the specs and price. I've looked and nothing comes close.

fakunchas
07-16-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm also curious to know about the competition. In my opinion only MSI, Clevo and Alienware are the alternatives.
I'm writing from portugal, so Alienware custom laptop is not available, leaving us with Clevo and MSI.
I went for ASUS (g74) because of the cooling solution, i have no doubts the MSI has a little better bang-for-the-buck but at the time had a worse case/cooling solution.
Clevo, IMO, is the best. You can customize both of the HD, CPU, GPU.. like a alienware. http://www.clevocenter.com/index.php/p170em/p170sm-config.html but at the time for under 1800eur the g74 was a slitlly better solution. If money is no limit CLEVO..

chrsplmr
07-16-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm also curious to know about the competition. In my opinion only MSI, Clevo and Alienware are the alternatives.
I'm writing from portugal, so Alienware custom laptop is not available, leaving us with Clevo and MSI.
I went for ASUS (g74) because of the cooling solution, i have no doubts the MSI has a little better bang-for-the-buck but at the time had a worse case/cooling solution.
Clevo, IMO, is the best. You can customize both of the HD, CPU, GPU.. like a alienware. http://www.clevocenter.com/index.php/p170em/p170sm-config.html but at the time for under 1800eur the g74 was a slitlly better solution. If money is no limit CLEVO..

Exactly, nothing can touch a G for the price.c.

Anvirol
07-17-2013, 07:27 PM
MSI GT70 70M387B with same CPU/GPU setup as G750JX was an option for me, but MSI 60€ was more expensive and wasn't available in my country. I didn't like the style of the laptop either.

I looked into ASUS G750JX vs Schenker XMG as well. I could've bought XMG with same CPU/GPU setup by paying extra 70€ (GTX 780M +298€).

Schenker XMG W/P703 cons:
-no WiFi AC
-no thunderbolt
-noisy fans profiles
-worse speakers
-no pickup&return 2 year warranty

I could not find GTX 780M notebook below 2000€ anywhere and G750JX only cost 1499€ (including taxes). I could've bought MSI and upgraded later to GTX 780M, but tbh. it's not worth it. I'll use this for 3-4 years and buy a new notebook. I'm sure performance has at least doubled by then.

</wall of text>

Neptun
07-17-2013, 09:22 PM
Well, in clevo for the same price as a G750jw (1.4k usd) you could find one with gtx 770m lol also with the same processor as all the asus laptops + they having $250 discount at this moment wich would make the laptop i mentioned before extremly cheap for the specs it offers and they always having big discounts... not that i'm promoting them but their laptops sure are cheaper. Also when you buy a gaming laptop , what matters the most is having a good graphics card and a good processor.
The only thing i like about asus is the cooling lol.

Monsta
07-18-2013, 02:37 AM
Well, in clevo for the same price as a G750jw (1.4k usd) you could find one with gtx 770m lol also with the same processor as all the asus laptops + they having $250 discount at this moment wich would make the laptop i mentioned before extremly cheap for the specs it offers and they always having big discounts... not that i'm promoting them but their laptops sure are cheaper. Also when you buy a gaming laptop , what matters the most is having a good graphics card and a good processor.
The only thing i like about asus is the cooling lol.

I'm curious. Over a page of people asking for an example of a better laptop for less or the same money, yet no one has actually linked to anything, you're just giving questionable anecdotes.

I don't have an opinion on the subject yet. I ordered my G750 over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive (I live in Cambodia, so was expecting it to take a while). I've been concerned by some of the reports I've read about G750's with what sound like production issues, but overall I still haven't seen anyone come up with an example of a better laptop available for the money.

Neptun
07-18-2013, 04:16 AM
I'm curious. Over a page of people asking for an example of a better laptop for less or the same money, yet no one has actually linked to anything, you're just giving questionable anecdotes.

I don't have an opinion on the subject yet. I ordered my G750 over 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting for it to arrive (I live in Cambodia, so was expecting it to take a while). I've been concerned by some of the reports I've read about G750's with what sound like production issues, but overall I still haven't seen anyone come up with an example of a better laptop available for the money.

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP8250, there better graphics card for the same price as a g750JW, and has same processor, therefore its better... thunderbolt or AC wifi wont get you better fps, js.

Monsta
07-18-2013, 06:30 AM
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=category_browse&selected_cat=special&mid=NP8250, there better graphics card for the same price as a g750JW, and has same processor, therefore its better... thunderbolt or AC wifi wont get you better fps, js.

The configuration that's the same price as the G750JW only has a 15" screen, comes with less RAM, and most importantly only has a 4700MQ rather than the superior 4700HQ that the G750 comes with.

I still don't have an opinion on the G750 because mine still hasn't arrived, but on paper you have yet to offer a better alternative.

PPanda
08-03-2013, 05:59 AM
4700HQ == 4700MQ + Soldered