PDA

View Full Version : G46 shuts down when trying to restart/ doesn't recover from sleep mode

panosbob
06-29-2013, 03:47 AM
Hey, so im having this issue with G46.

Whenever im trying to restart it , either manually or because windows updates might have requested it
the laptop just shuts down.

Also whenever i close the lid or set it to sleep mode manually i cant seem to be able to recover it, i need to force shut it down by holding the power button and then turn it on again.

It's kind of frustrating because i always need to be carefull not to close the lid off.

It's on Windows 8 OS.

Any ideas to whats causing this problem ? Is it software or hardware issue?
I am seriously thinking of installing win 7 ,
im just not sure about the procedure with the usb install of win 7 and about the drivers.

Shawnnepc
06-29-2013, 05:50 AM
Hey, so im having this issue with G46.

Whenever im trying to restart it , either manually or because windows updates might have requested it
the laptop just shuts down.

Also whenever i close the lid or set it to sleep mode manually i cant seem to be able to recover it, i need to force shut it down by holding the power button and then turn it on again.

It's kind of frustrating because i always need to be carefull not to close the lid off.

It's on Windows 8 OS.

Any ideas to whats causing this problem ? Is it software or hardware issue?
I am seriously thinking of installing win 7 ,
im just not sure about the procedure with the usb install of win 7 and about the drivers.

Try the following steps to see if these help:

Go to Control Panel > Power Options

Select 'Choose what the power buttons do'

Click 'Change settings that are currently unavailable'

uncheck 'Turn on fast startup'

I've seen that cause some of the issues you are having

You can also try running the System File Checker to see if Windows corruption isn't the cause of your sleep issues. Please look at Option two from the following guide : http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/3047-sfc-scannow-command-run-windows-8-a.html

Also, welcome to the ROG community!

Zygomorphic
06-30-2013, 12:43 AM
If you choose to install Windows 7, I can help you with the USB component of it. Just download the Windows 7 USB Install tool from Microsoft:
http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

Now get the ISO image and a 4 GB USB drive. Follow the instructions in the program (it's easy) and you should be set. Please note that the 4 GB drive will be almost completely full, and it does format it, so make sure to back it up! :)

Zygomorphic
06-30-2013, 01:41 AM
Here is the support page for your laptop, you can download most of the drivers from here - a lot of Windows 7 drivers run on Windows 8, so I would assume that the converse is true:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=G46VW&p=3&s=470&os=36&hashedid=BTxc55PmS2Xf13rx

If you install Windows 7, see how many drivers that it can install automatically. Microsoft has done a great job of collecting many drivers for a lot of computer hardware so that Windows can install it automatically. Anything that doesn't properly install you can try updating from the ASUS support page, or else posting here and we can help you find an alternate source.

panosbob
07-01-2013, 03:41 AM
Hey thanx for the replies.
I tried to install win 7 from a usb stick with ntfs format and i am getting an error when i am trying to select the disk wich i am gonna install the OS.
" Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.
I have "Launch CSM Enabled & Secure Boot Control Disabled.

Any ideas? Sorry if this have been reposted.

panosbob
07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Oh lord, i've done something very stupid... I tried to delete the partition with the OS and create it back again but still cant instal win7
And now i cant even reset the laptop to its original state cause it doesnt recognise the partition...
I guess my only option now is to find a way to install win7.

Zygomorphic
07-01-2013, 10:15 AM
That can be due to the EFI/GPT mode. You need to format the disk in the Windows installer to use the MBR format. Then, you can create the partitions as desired, and install to them.

gypsymoth
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
If you haven't swapped out the hard drive, nor deleted the recovery partition, you can do a factory recover by pressing <F9> while booting up. Of course, you'd end up with Windows 8 again, but maybe the fresh install will fix the problem you had.

panosbob
07-02-2013, 04:17 AM
I cannot do a factory reset because even if i have the recovery partition i deleted and recreated the OS partition. I guess the only way now is to format the whole disk into MBR format...allthough i am not quite sure on how to do that, i mean i kow how to format but not sure about the MBR thingy

99GreenySC2
07-02-2013, 04:27 AM
i have theG750J blah blah blah, i tried to switch off fast start up or whatever and its not letting me? i am the administrator etc etc but it just will not let me at all....

nevermind, didnt see the "change settings you cant" thing wow silly windows 8

Zygomorphic
07-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Change Launch CSM and Secure Boot, then try changing the other thing.

As to formatting in MBR mode, I believe that the Windows installer will let you do that (I know that the LINUX Mint and Ubuntu installers will). If worse comes to worst, you can always boot a live CD of LINUX and format the drive through GParted (the best partitioning tool I've ever seen).

gypsymoth
07-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I cannot do a factory reset because even if i have the recovery partition i deleted and recreated the OS partition. I guess the only way now is to format the whole disk into MBR format...allthough i am not quite sure on how to do that, i mean i kow how to format but not sure about the MBR thingy

My guess is that as long as you have the recovery partition, you can do a factory reset. Because it's BIOS/ROM thing. It will completely wipe your hard disk and use the recovery partition to reconstruct it.

panosbob
07-04-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey , so i formated the whole disk into MBR , wich means i cannot go back to windows 8 with a reset or recover since i deleted all the partitions.

Anyway everything seems to be working good but i cannot figure out how to enable blacklit keyboard, i know its working cause it lits when
windows boots but it gets dark after i log into windows.

Does it need some kind of drivers or ?

chrsplmr
07-04-2013, 01:42 AM
This is the download page .. I think u r looking for ATKACPI driver .. this seems more Win8 support
not much listed for Win7 ..
I think your original issue may have been related to the Splendid Video issues/bugs .. not sure for sure.
Moot point now.
You never reported if you tried the settings as suggested from Shawnnepc .. just went for Win7. also moot now.. et.
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G46VW/#support_Download_36

(https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G46VW/#support_Download_36)Keep us posted. Best of Luck.c.