PDA

View Full Version : How to hook up my ps3 to asus g75VW 17.5" FHD ?

asnl1234
06-30-2013, 12:25 PM
My laptop has HDMI, VGA, mini DisplayPortLine in, line out, RJ-45.
So can I play my PS3 using its screen in HD and could someone please tell me how to do it if it's possible?
Thanks in advance!

Apexing
06-30-2013, 12:35 PM
you cant, its only video out from those ports.

Pitcher@asus
07-01-2013, 02:09 AM
all video port is video out not video in.

Gumwars
07-01-2013, 03:04 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? You can share compatible files wirelessly or via USB. There isn't much else you can do between platforms.

Apexing
07-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Its pretty easy to understand what he is trying to do.
He wants to use the laptop screen as a screen for his ps3.
And as said, he cant.

DirkHardeck
07-01-2013, 07:09 PM
It's not strictly true that you CANNOT do this. (Besides intense LCD connector modification, which I will pass)

You can simply use a USB video capture device. They used to make a couple that were specifically very low latency so that you could play console games on your laptop screen, but the drivers are no longer compatible. Those were not HD -- they accepted 480i signal through sVideo and composite -- I doubt USB 2.0 could reliably handle 1080p bandwidth with low enough latency. They do make HDMI -> USB models now specifically for capturing gameplay, but I doubt that the video processing is fast enough to play on your laptop in real time.

Perhaps there is/will be a USB 3.0 HDMI capture device, at which point I could see it being viable. Of course, they would be a couple hundred bucks and investing in a small tv would be preferable. It's not as though you could argue for the portability of PS3 + g75.

The real question would be: why would anyone want to play their PS3 through a g75 in the first place? :p
Leave it plugged into the tv when you play The Last of Us, where it belongs!

LDouglasLJr
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
This is also a feature that the Alienware laptop series has. They have an HDMI In port. While I agree playing ones console on your TV is preferable I can also see some appeal in being able to play my console on my laptop.

So I'm assuming that the OP saw this and may have assumed that all laptops had this feature.