PDA

View Full Version : G75VX BOOT DRIVE Question.

ClepticNova
07-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi guys i just want to ask if it would be possible to have 2 BOOT DRIVES for my G75VX. See , i have an old 80GB HDD and i want to make it a back-up boot drive just in case my main boot drive goes crazy. My main boot drive is the 5400rpm 1TB HDD and what i want to know is, Would it be possible to fresh install Windows8 on the 80GB HDD and still Hot Swap the two boot drives at any time?

Thanks ROG People.

Clintlgm
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
You may have issues with activation on windows, then again maybe not. Not sure with win 8, I have had 2 installs of Windows 7 running on one computer for awhile.

Pitcher@asus
07-04-2013, 02:51 AM
i think it should be ok for windows experience, but never try it.

ClepticNova
07-04-2013, 08:16 AM
what im planning to do is make the 80GB HDD a Back up boot drive and store it for later. Can i still put back my old boot drive without having to reformat or clean install win8 on that drive?

cl-Albert
07-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Just my opinion but wouldn't think it would be a problem as long as you don't activate Windows8 for the 80GB hd if it's necessary.

Windows8 might not like it if you activate and re-activate Windows too many times, so I'd probably not bother activating Win8 for the 80Gb hd to be safe if it's not too big of a deal to use it this way.

Zygomorphic
07-06-2013, 01:23 AM
I would recommend against it, since Windows activates against the HDD (among other things). In addition, your older HDD is more likely to fail than the newer one, since it has been around longer.

Gumwars
07-06-2013, 01:33 AM
Something I ran with for a while is having Windows on my primary HDD and Ubuntu or Mint on my secondary. I usually installed it inside a Windows partition on the drive (I believe all of the Ubuntu derivatives have an application style installer that allows this) that will also give you a GRUB loader on boot, allowing you to select which OS you want to run on startup. If you're paranoid about your primary going kaput and only need a secondary OS for recovery purposes (saving files, drive diagnosis, etc) then why not? Or you could go with an OS that boots from a USB or removable media, again for the focused purpose of recovering files and figuring out what's wrong with your rig.

Tomislav
07-07-2013, 07:19 PM
It's possible with win 8, I've just installed a new ssd, and kept my stock HDD in my vx just for safety issues. Though I did have to switch the boot order of my disks in BIOS every time I wanted to boot in the "other" win 8. I did format my stock HDD after a while to be a store disk, so I don't know how stable is this, but it did worked with no issues.

Zygomorphic
07-08-2013, 02:22 AM
If you are going to install a LINUX distro such as Ubuntu, I would recommend creating a separate partition for it, rather than using the installer. At least, that's the way to go if you are thinking about switching from Windows to LINUX (which I would recommend).

Gumwars
07-08-2013, 04:35 AM
If you are going to install a LINUX distro such as Ubuntu, I would recommend creating a separate partition for it, rather than using the installer. At least, that's the way to go if you are thinking about switching from Windows to LINUX (which I would recommend).

I can't argue with that. Having Linux as a solid secondary is the way to go,

ClepticNova
07-08-2013, 09:45 AM
thanks a lot guys. i've bee contemplating. and i've decided not to use the old HDD. i;m planning on going straight SSD but maybe on the holiday season. thanks for your comments guys :D

Zygomorphic
07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Christmas present for yourself? Sounds like a good idea! :) An SSD is a much better choice. They are really fast, and actually make a significant difference in the performance of your computer.

ClepticNova
07-08-2013, 12:34 PM
OH YEAH. SSD from me to me. hehehe if Asus would give me one then much better. that would be my greatest and proudest moment. hehehe

Tomislav
07-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Christmas present for yourself? Sounds like a good idea! :) An SSD is a much better choice. They are really fast, and actually make a significant difference in the performance of your computer.

This is more than true , it should be a law or something.

Zygomorphic
07-09-2013, 02:03 AM
OH YEAH. SSD from me to me. hehehe if Asus would give me one then much better. that would be my greatest and proudest moment. hehehe
Only if they give me one too! I post on these forums too! :D Actually, I doubt that they would, and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be big enough for what I want, LOL. I would need about a 512 GB SSD, which is quite large and expensive.

ClepticNova
07-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Only if they give me one too! I post on these forums too! :D Actually, I doubt that they would, and even if they did, it probably wouldn't be big enough for what I want, LOL. I would need about a 512 GB SSD, which is quite large and expensive.

okay. if they let you chose what would you pick Ares II or 512SSD?hehehe

Tomislav
07-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Whatever is more expensive. Then I would sell it and add some money to build a nice small , let's say 1300$ gaming PC.

Zygomorphic
07-09-2013, 10:22 AM
512 GB SSD - and keep it. I could then have a flamethrower computer that would be really sweet. :o