PDA

View Full Version : GPU Spike

zeromod
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Here we go again. So recently my GPU temp just shot up while I was sitting on my desktop. I pulled the power and the battery eventually and it went away. I thought that perhaps the battery was the culprit and that some static buildup had ocurred etc. However, last night this happened again after being fine for some time.

When I'm at the lock screen it's fine. As soon as the machine is logged into, the fan starts spinning up and the temp is rising. The fan can keep it from overheating. I've tested with afterburner and my GPU usage is 98. I'm just on the desktop so this makes no sense. So I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers. The card doesn't overheat in VGA mode.

I installed the latest drivers and it stopped. Has anyone seen anything similar to this? I can't imagine a set of Nvidia drivers would cause my gpu to spike to 98 percent or more just intermittently with no cause.

I'll also add that my lcd when coming out of standby or the lock screen is intermittently ghosting and making weird visuals. I lock and unlock it and it seems to fix it but jesus, these LCD displays are $#@!

zeromod
07-03-2013, 10:32 PM
So this is quite interesting. I removed my Nvidia drivers and let windows just detect the card and install it. Reboot, GPU goes up to 98 again. I used the Rog branded Gpu Z to take a screenshot as well. Then with the fan on high tilt, I reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver again. Bam, Gpu temp goes down and normal usage. Voltage doesn't seem to have changed either.

See my before and after here http://imgur.com/a/sjkw3 Anyone have any ideas? I reaaaaly dont' want to RMA with ASUS and we all know why. It's almost like the GPU thinks I'm gaming and not on the desktop?

Gumwars
07-03-2013, 10:57 PM
It sounds like that's quite possibly a case of, and if I'm understanding your problem correctly,

Doc, it hurts when I do this

Doctor's reply, Don't do that

zeromod
07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Eh? Doc it hurts when I turn my 1500 laptop on. But if I reinstall the drivers it works ok until reboot. Thanks for your help, you must work for Asus tech support. /S