PDA

View Full Version : G73Jh not rebooting after being put to "sleep"

kc2002acr
07-03-2013, 09:13 PM
Last night, like always, I was going to bed and so I pressed the FN+F1 key to put my computer to sleep. This morning, like always, I go in and pressed the power button to wake her back up, and I instead got a pink/blue checkered screen and then it went blank. The four led indicators on front (light/battery/HDD/Inet) will come on when I first press power, but then the HDD goes off, and the computer remains blank. The keyboard lights up, but then goes dark. The screen never comes on, and I can here whirring inside, but nothing, no HDD notification on the light, no Inet, nothing - the thing is dead, and not working at all. I can take out battery and plug in and get same result. I am at a loss. This computer has been a POS since I bought it and regret spending $1600 on it!

It is roughly 3 years old, so no chance at factory warranty, and I did not buy the Best Buy extended plan. Either way, I have had issue after issue with this thing, including BIOs issues, sound, and video. And to boot, I cannot update the video drivers from the 2010 installed 6.0.x.x version. I just cannot be without my laptop. I use it for everything. I need it to work. I need it for play. I need it for my family. This thing cannot be replaced now, not until I get money to get something new (and never an ASUS again).

I am a bit emotional right now, so yes, I am also irrational. But in my right frame of mind, I cannot stand this laptop. Worst choice I ever made.

8G Ram
ATI HD 5870
G73JH-BST7

2 HDD - one 650G, the other 500G

Not sure if you need any more specs, but I have dumped a lot of the Bloatware, and disabled many things which come with the ASUS package, except Fastboot.

Oh, edit, also there is heat coming from the right side vent when "on" so something is going on.

Banshee
07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Questions:

1. What version OS are you using?
2. Does it always do this when you wake it from sleep, or does it sometimes come out of sleep okay?
3. Do you have hibernation turned on? Hybrid sleep?
4. Does the laptop ever exhibit power issues such as sudden shut-offs or a battery that won't hold a charge?
5. Have you tried to wake it from sleep by pressing a key or moving the mouse (in other words, waking it without the power button)? If so, what are the results?

6. Which hard drive is in this model?
7. What devices are plugged in? List everything, even keyboards, mice, hubs, printers, espresso makers, and garden mulchers.
8. Some very old USB devices whose drivers were written for Windows XP or earlier can interfere with sleep and hibernation. Crashes upon shutdown and crashes upon waking are not uncommon.

kc2002acr
07-03-2013, 10:06 PM
1. Windows 7 Ultimate
2. Never done this before. It always come out of sleep fine.
3. Hibernation/Hybrid sleep - I have no clue, cannot get into computer to see.
4. Never
5. It will not wake from sleep without hitting power button
6. 640GB HDD (Seagate)
7. HP w2207h Monitor into HDMI, G510 KB, Razer Naga mouse, Motorola SURFboard cable modem (ethernet port)

kc2002acr
07-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Here is what it looks like after turning on.

http://i.imgur.com/DhYfrQ1.jpg

Banshee
07-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Here are a few things to try (in no particular order):

Isolate all hardware: Unplug the HDMI monitor, cablemodem, and even mouse/keyboard and try to boot without those. If it comes up, then try adding one device at a time and rebooting until failure happens again.

Isolate the OS: Try booting from a Linux "live CD" with no peripherals plugged in. If it still fails, you'll know it's not Windows causing your headache, it's probably hardware or firmware.

kc2002acr
07-03-2013, 11:36 PM
It isn't even booting. The picture you see is the perpetual state it remains in, as if it has power. There is no booting. It does not cycle the HDD the CD-ROM or even go past the initial stage of lights turning on. It is like there is no power, yet the lights remain on, as in the picture. I cannot put a bootable disc in, nor can I use a USB. It is something with the computer. I just do not know what. I'm flabbergasted.

Sorry, I also wanted to clarify that nothing is plugged in except for the power cord. Green light is on, so at least from the power to the box there is power, and the light on the computer indicating a battery being charged is also on, so the cord is once more sending juice to the computer.

Banshee
07-04-2013, 12:00 AM
"The ship is dead, captain. She's gone!"

Unfortunately, this may just be right where we are. But, me being me (meaning a stubborn SOB), I would try this one last thing.

1. Shut it off with a 4-second press of the power button.
2. Remove the AC power and the battery.
3. Maybe also reset the CMOS/BIOS
4. Plug in the battery and AC power and see if it will post. If it does, you will need to go into your BIOS settings to review what might need to be returned to prior values, and you'll also want to run memtest.

I really don't have confidence that the above steps will work for you, but it may be worth a shot. At this point, it could be anything from a bad PSU, bad motherboard, bad memory, a bad GPU or internal screen, a bad hard drive or even a malfunctioning internal keyboard or touchpad causing so much trouble the machine won't even post. Odds are fairly good that it's a bad hardware component.

I think a visit to a trusted tech or chief engineer is in order. If you're like me, you'll pull the hard drive out and back it up with another computer before you take the laptop to a tech. The side-benefit of this will be that you'll be able to tell if the HDD is bad.

Sorry. And good luck!

cl-Albert
07-04-2013, 01:07 AM
It isn't even booting. The picture you see is the perpetual state it remains in, as if it has power. There is no booting. It does not cycle the HDD the CD-ROM or even go past the initial stage of lights turning on. It is like there is no power, yet the lights remain on, as in the picture. I cannot put a bootable disc in, nor can I use a USB. It is something with the computer. I just do not know what. I'm flabbergasted.

Sorry, I also wanted to clarify that nothing is plugged in except for the power cord. Green light is on, so at least from the power to the box there is power, and the light on the computer indicating a battery being charged is also on, so the cord is once more sending juice to the computer.

Unfortunately, doesn't sound like you are even getting to the bios.
These ideas below may not help, but maybe worth a try if you can do them safely.

1. This almost never helps, but according to the G73Jh user manual on page 14, it looks like your notebook still has the 'reset' hole underneath before it was removed on newer models.
Remove the battery and unplug the adapter (no power to the notebook) before you unwind a paper clip to push the reset hole a couple times for about a second.
Plug just the AC adapter without the battery (make sure nothing is near the exposed battery contacts) to power it on and see if there is any difference.

2. If you are able to get to the memory, try to boot up with just one stick in different slots to make sure there is not a memory or memory slot issue.

3. Try to power up on battery power without AC power if you haven't already.

4. It may not make much difference, but try to remove the hard drive(s) and plug in an external monitor to see if it lets you get into the bios.

Good luck!

kc2002acr
07-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Thank you for the responses, but myself and my brother-in-law who is an IT tech for the school district (he does help desk and other troubleshooting) did the above and nothing. I think, as he does as well, that there is something wrong on the side of the GPU or CPU, or both... the green/pink checkered screen is a give away of being a bad GPU, not even going through boot, or starting at all, is also a sign of something deeper, possibly the CPU or MOBO. He said I could get all my stuff of the HDD with no problem with some equipment he has.

I'm shocked, but at the same time not at all surprised about this - I have had issues with this PC for years, pretty much since I bought it, and for it to crap out in less than 3 years (Nov 2010 I bought it) is unacceptable for a $1600 machine that I treated well. The worst thing I ever played on it was World of Warcraft at High settings on an external monitor.

Ah well, I guess live and learn, I now know I won't be purchasing an Asus any more. Too bad, I liked the design and layout. The screen was nice, and I was impressed by the computing power. But to have so many issues, such as updates, BIOs, and support, is sign to me of a bad company - one I won't do business with any more.