PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G75VX - HDD Slow Issues

datacore
07-04-2013, 01:40 AM
Hi,

I just purchased the ASUS G75VX to replace my desktop PC. It's great but for the 2nd HDD it always has to spin up when I want to access it. I have in my power options to never put the HDD to sleep but it seems like it's doing it as I will open windows explorer and select my data drive (second drive) takes about 3-5 seconds to start accessing data. How to fix this?

THanks

GottiBoi55
07-04-2013, 02:01 AM
You can try "index" your data drive in indexing options.
Maybe that will help!

Pitcher@asus
07-04-2013, 02:56 AM
what is your second HDD type? SSD, Msata?

SHADO
07-04-2013, 07:33 AM
what is your second HDD type? SSD, Msata?

By definition, SSD and mSATA are not hard disk drives (HDD). They are solid state (no moving parts).

datacore
07-04-2013, 10:26 PM
It is brand new, why would I need to index it?

I've only had it for a few days, and just put 3 movies onto it.

It's a normal HDD (the one that comes with it).

The configuration is as follows: 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD

E.g. I load a movie (I heard the HDD spin up). VLC is already loaded, movie starts to play in about 4-5 seconds. If I pause the movie for a like 5mins and un-pause it will also take about 2 seconds to rebuffer or whatever it is doing. It NEVER did this on my desktop PC and my desktop PC DIDN'T have SSD, it was all HDDs.

I hope this all makes sense.

Zygomorphic
07-05-2013, 12:28 AM
That can be an issue with VLC, try another player. A few seconds to rebuffer can be due to the player throwing the buffered component of the movie out of the cache. It isn't an issue with the HDD.

datacore
07-05-2013, 01:15 AM
The reason I know it's the HDD is that it's spinning up. Like when I go to 'My Computer' it lists all the drives. I double click on C: (SSD, loads instantly), I double click on E: (the HDD) takes about 1-2 seconds to load a folder called 'Videos'... Even tho in power settings I have it set to never turn off the HDD. So it isn't just VLC. I have migrated my work files over (Adobe AI / Photoshop files) as I'm using this laptop as my desktop replacement I use this heavily now. I load up the My COmputer and it takes forever to navigate around my HDD compared to my desktop HDD.

Maybe I should run a surface scan and/or a HDD speed test?

SHADO
07-05-2013, 01:20 AM

E.g. I load a movie (I heard the HDD spin up). VLC is already loaded, movie starts to play in about 4-5 seconds. If I pause the movie for a like 5mins and un-pause it will also take about 2 seconds to rebuffer or whatever it is doing. It NEVER did this on my desktop PC and my desktop PC DIDN'T have SSD, it was all HDDs.

That does seem odd. I've got 2 of the slow 1TB drives in my G75, and VLC starts playing files almost instantaneously, even from the drive that is about 90% filled with video files. And when I pause VLC and come back 5 to 10 minutes later and hit play, it starts with no lag at all.

Gumwars
07-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Is it a Seagate?

The reason I ask is that your symptoms are more indicative of a hardware problem with the drive. Most, if not all, drive manufacturers provide diagnostic tools for trouble shooting their hardware. Seagate offers, wait for it, Seatools. You could also use a linux distro live CD and use the OS native drive tools as well. Pretty much anything that allows you to run SMART diagnostics.

datacore
07-05-2013, 03:51 AM
My laptop hasn't been altered in any way, its how it came in the box out of the retail shop.

In device manager it says:
Disk drives
HGST HTS541010A9E680
LITEONIT LCM-56M3S

I have the ASUS G74VX-T4153H
It has 32GB RAM, GEFORCE 670MX, i7 CPU, 17" screen (heavy as horse) and the HDD mentioned above. Unsure if it's any different in other countries - I'm from Australia.

Is this Seagate? What software do you recommend I run to see if the HDD is faulty?

I'm so sad that I have invested 3 months of savings into a laptop that potentially is a dud...

ZeroBarrier
07-05-2013, 04:21 AM
Some drives park the heads when idle. It doesn't necessarily stop spinning, but it does park the heads off the spinning disks. You should try putting you ear near the HDD area of your notebook and listen to see if you can hear spinning up and heads reading disks, or just heads reading disks. If you only gear the heads reading the disks without the distinct sound of disks spinning up, then your HDD is just parking the heads while idle. There's not much you can do about it either since this is controlled by the firmware of the HDD itself and not by windows.

Usually, mid to low range drives tend to park their heads when idle, high performance drives tend to park the heads only upon receiving a shock like a large bump or fall/hit to prevent damage to the magnetic disks.

Gumwars
07-05-2013, 06:36 AM
It's a travelstar hdd, which I believe is a subsidiary of Western Digital. Here's a link for the diagnostic tool:

http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/

The laptop is likely fine, the mechanical drive is suspect.

Zygomorphic
07-05-2013, 10:26 AM
That is a hitachi hard disk drive.

datacore
07-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Umm, the hgst tool didn't work, it doesn't do anything when I hit scan.

Tomislav
07-07-2013, 07:26 PM
This may be a stupid question, but are your windows up to date? I had an issue with my HDD when I first bought my vx (right clicks would take ages- but this was a windows problems, that went away when I updated my OS)-try checking for updates maybe it will help. Also you can try to format your HDD and defragment (though this is a long shot since you've said that your HDD is new).
Btw you can use HWinfo64 to check all your parts,

Zygomorphic
07-08-2013, 10:21 AM
@Tomislav, good point about the updates. While you are at it, make sure that you have the right version of the utility. Namely, do you have 64-bit version of the utility (I believe that they have a 32 and a 64 bit version). Also, make sure that you have recently rebooted. I have run into issues with Windows that certain things no longer function properly if you haven't rebooted in a day or two.

datacore
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
There was only one version to download.

Yes, Windows is up-to-date. I am very pedantic about this and check almost every second day. I also use the ASUS updater which came with it to make sure all firmware and drivers are up-to-date. I very much believe this drive is the problem.

How?

I removed my DoTA2 installation (which was on E: - the normal HDD) and placed it onto D: - the SSD and the constant lag stopped. Leading me to believe the laptop just needs another SSD. Unless it could be the main board which controls the HDD? the HGST tool when running a 'test' it comes up with everything as 'OK'. The Scan button still continues to do nothing (yes I rebooted etc as per recommended).

The only thing I have not yet tried is formatting and defragging the drive but would this really help? It's brand new (now 2 weeks old) I wouldn't imagine the drive would be fragmented yet.

Note: I really want to avoid formatting the drive as it now has data... Could there be software to test the main board? (or whatever the main controller is called).

d@nn_78
07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
I have the same problem, but it's not showing in all games. The interesting part is that it's showing as well in new games, and in very old games.
The only solution was moving the games to the SSD. So now i have a lot of free space for nothing, because I've bought this machine for gaming...

datacore
07-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Bad luck D@nn_78, I was starting to think maybe it's just this laptop was faulty.

Yes, I have that too now, my SSD drive is almost 80% full whilst my normal 1TB HDD sits there with no data, as it is just un-usable. I'm saving up to buy another SSD - I so hope this fixes it. I bought this laptop as a workhorse, not a gaming station - it's being really unproductive for me so far :(

Will let you know how it goes.

Zygomorphic
07-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I would have to wonder if that is an issue with the loading styles of the older games, not the drive. I have never had those problems, but then again, I don't game, so I don't tend to stress the disk in that way (though I do compile the LINUX kernel, and that does slow down if it hits the HDD too much).

Tomislav
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I would have to wonder if that is an issue with the loading styles of the older games, not the drive. I have never had those problems, but then again, I don't game, so I don't tend to stress the disk in that way (though I do compile the LINUX kernel, and that does slow down if it hits the HDD too much). Oh yes it's that ! It must be ! I remember installing COD 4 on my G75vx and it took ages to load the game, and it wasn't my laptop it was the game, because I was at a LAN party and all the guys with "newer" machines had this same issue. Still it doesn't explain the slow load of movies.

Kaerbear86
07-15-2013, 03:30 AM
Hmm..Weird

GottiBoi55
07-17-2013, 01:12 AM

Is your G75VX all up to date (Windows, drivers)?
You should check Windows update, and make sure Windows is up to date.
Also make sure your IRST driver is up to date.

How does your movies run with Windows Media Player?
Maybe you need to reinstall the VLC Player, or do a repair.
My movies start instantaneously on my VLC Player! (all my movies are on my data drive BTW)
Also make sure you have the latest version of the VLC Player, the one that's compatible with windows 8

Zygomorphic
07-17-2013, 01:49 AM
If If Windows is running stuff in compatibility mode, it can slow things down. However, I would doubt that it would slow down that much. Also, check your antivirus settings, since sometimes if they are set too aggressively, they can bring any computer to a crawl.

milivoje
07-30-2015, 05:30 AM
Hi All, any update on the mechanical HD on off clicking. I can't figure it out why it needs 2-3 seconds to start reading any file on that HD.

milivoje
07-30-2015, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I just purchased the ASUS G75VX to replace my desktop PC. It's great but for the 2nd HDD it always has to spin up when I want to access it. I have in my power options to never put the HDD to sleep but it seems like it's doing it as I will open windows explorer and select my data drive (second drive) takes about 3-5 seconds to start accessing data. How to fix this?

THanks

I got the same problem with Asus G750-JS. Any solution yet?