PDA

View Full Version : 4700HQ overclocking

roryh86
07-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Greetings.

I thought I'd start this thread with the hope of talking about something positive on this board, as it seems everybody's complaining. I'm happy with my G750JW, I actually love it. Very sleek design, quality materials and quite a beast for its low price. I can't understand all the negativity here to be honest. I haven't noticed issues with my screen, but I plan on replacing it with a AUO B173HW01 V5 anyway, from the reviews I read it sounds very worthwhile for an $80 investment.

Anyway, I've been scouting the internet trying to find any information about Haswell mobile overclocking, specifically our 4700HQ but to no avail. I understand that it will most probably require a modified bios. I don't plan on setting records here but I'd love to see if we can get this thing clocked to a 4800MQ. Would like to hear your opinions on whether this will be possible :D

PPanda
07-04-2013, 07:00 PM
May I ask what your Idle/Load/Stress temperatures are for your 4700HQ at stock in the JW?

Mine are:

Idle: 50c
Load: 85c
Stress: 100c

delsol9400
07-04-2013, 09:16 PM
is AUO B173HW01 V5 glossy? or does it come in matte version that isn't as grainy?

Greetings.

I thought I'd start this thread with the hope of talking about something positive on this board, as it seems everybody's complaining. I'm happy with my G750JW, I actually love it. Very sleek design, quality materials and quite a beast for its low price. I can't understand all the negativity here to be honest. I haven't noticed issues with my screen, but I plan on replacing it with a AUO B173HW01 V5 anyway, from the reviews I read it sounds very worthwhile for an $80 investment.

Anyway, I've been scouting the internet trying to find any information about Haswell mobile overclocking, specifically our 4700HQ but to no avail. I understand that it will most probably require a modified bios. I don't plan on setting records here but I'd love to see if we can get this thing clocked to a 4800MQ. Would like to hear your opinions on whether this will be possible :D

roryh86
07-05-2013, 08:28 AM
May I ask what your Idle/Load/Stress temperatures are for your 4700HQ at stock in the JW?

Mine are:

I'll get back to you with those PPanda, away for the weekend.

roryh86
07-07-2013, 01:21 PM

Mine are:

Idle

Load

I'm not gonna do the stress test as I believe its unnecessary. Rendering is pretty much the maximum stress my laptop, and pretty much 99% of us is ever gonna put on the laptop realistically. I think its possible to get lower temps by changing the thermal paste, but that's if we find a way to overclock this first ;)

iMurderous
07-07-2013, 01:38 PM
so any overclocking?

roryh86
07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
so any overclocking?

Not that I know of yet.

PPanda
07-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Thank you! I'll run Cinebench 11.5 and compare to 85c.

PPanda
07-07-2013, 07:17 PM

Oh man... 98c Max, sat around 96c.

I'll be RMAing for repaste Tuesday...

Hopefully this thread can help others decide if their temps are normal or if they got a bad paste job like me.

x70xchallengerx
07-07-2013, 10:08 PM
I ran cinebench and highest temp my CPU hit was 85c

roryh86
07-07-2013, 10:46 PM

Oh man... 98c Max, sat around 96c.

I'll be RMAing for repaste Tuesday...

Hopefully this thread can help others decide if their temps are normal or if they got a bad paste job like me.

Wow yea that's pretty high, it's unfortunate you got unlucky with your build, I'm sure it's a rare case. Technically laptop CPUs can reach a higher Tj max and you can work normal at those temps, but in the long run when the laptop becomes less efficient at cooling it might start overheating and throttling/shutting down at demanding tasks. Anyway good luck with it.

roryh86
07-09-2013, 11:48 PM

Overclocked to 3.60 Ghz, multiplier seems to be locked to a max of x36 one active core, x35 two active cores, and x34 four active cores. Max temp 92, and 7.30 on cinebench. About a 4.5% boost.

iMurderous
07-10-2013, 01:01 AM
how the heck did you overclock?

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-10-2013, 02:57 AM
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

Dr4g0n36
07-10-2013, 09:54 AM
have you touched any voltage? i'm searching for some value to imput for a good OC

roryh86
07-10-2013, 10:05 AM
have you touched any voltage? i'm searching for some value to imput for a good OC

No I didn't touch voltage, I only upped the multiplier. It was only a small boost so it wasn't necessary. Haven't tried seeing if a lower voltage works though.

Anvirol
07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Stock clocks and Cinebench 11.5 got my temps to 87C max on one CPU. Others were 85 or below. Not much room for overclocking IMO. I'll try adjusting fan profile to get temps down.

roryh86
07-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Stock clocks and Cinebench 11.5 got my temps to 87C max on one CPU. Others were 85 or below. Not much room for overclocking IMO. I'll try adjusting fan profile to get temps down.

I was able to undervolt by -80 mV which allowed me to keep it at 3.6Ghz while having max temps of 85 degrees in Cinebench. Im sure with an unlocked bios, and people willing to access the CPU, delid it and reapply thermal paste, would be able to get the clock higher with stable temps.

Dr4g0n36
07-13-2013, 04:36 PM
of course :D

Anvirol
07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
I managed to get -90mV and 34x multiplier on 4 cores. Tested "stable" 5-minute stress test and Cinebench 11.5.

Update:
Well that was unstable. I'm now at -70mV and passed 10 minute XTU stress test.

roryh86
07-13-2013, 09:10 PM
I managed to get -90mV and 34x multiplier on 4 cores. Tested "stable" 5-minute stress test and Cinebench 11.5.

Update:
Well that was unstable. I'm now at -70mV and passed 10 minute XTU stress test.

Ya I had to change mine to -70 mV as explorer was crashing when copying files from external to internal. It's been stable so far after 2 hours of battlefield 3 and few hours computer use. The best test is using your laptop. Mine did fine in stress tests, and then failed at simple tasks. I think this is because stress tests use the lower multiplier as all 4 cores are active, and then when you're using computer for regular use and the CPU chooses the higher clocked x36 multiplier for a simple task, voltage is too low for that high clock, and crashes. Mixed use is best.

Why don't you go ahead maxing out the clocks? Since they're not that high to start with. Have you OC'ed your GPU?

Anvirol
07-13-2013, 11:04 PM
I maxed out my 770M GPU @930MHz with ASUS GPU Tweak and increased mem to 4200MHz. Unfortunately XTU doesn't allow higher than 34 multiplier on 4 cores :(

TX2000
07-14-2013, 10:53 PM
I was able to undervolt by -80 mV which allowed me to keep it at 3.6Ghz while having max temps of 85 degrees in Cinebench. Im sure with an unlocked bios, and people willing to access the CPU, delid it and reapply thermal paste, would be able to get the clock higher with stable temps.
cant delid it because it has no ihs, but you can replace the thermal paste

_
07-15-2013, 05:14 AM
Bear in mind that the 'CPU' now has:

CPU cores
GPU cores
VRMs
PCH

all built into one piece of silicon. So it will run 'hot' versus last gen, for example, especially if you overclock as the VRMs and CPU are both working harder. Undervolting is definitely worthwhile if you can as the opposite is true.

The only other major ICs (well, Flipchip ones) inside the G750 is the Nvidia GTX on the other fan and the Thunderbolt one, which is passively cooled.

What the thermal paste lacks in ultimate performance it makes up for in longevity. Bear that in mind if you're replacing with another :) Also note if you're thinking of 'improving' the cooling - those metal bars that screw down the heatsink are supposed to be flexible. It's designed not to overtighten, avoiding crushing the small BGA elements underneath. The only other route of avenue I can think of is perhaps a light lapping of the copper base if you're unhappy with the finish, but don't take off too much as the tolerances as small.

Anvirol
07-18-2013, 08:14 AM
I ended up using -59mV on CPU and 34x - 36x multiplier. I've been playing, doing 3D graphics and all kinds of every day usage and also stress testing. So I can say that it's stable now.

Undervolting really helps with temps and my CPU is actually running cooler than stock settings, but with 2x higher multiplier.

roryh86
07-18-2013, 08:20 AM
I ended up using -59mV on CPU and 34x - 36x multiplier. I've been playing, doing 3D graphics and all kinds of every day usage and also stress testing. So I can say that it's stable now.

Undervolting really helps with temps and my CPU is actually running cooler than stock settings, but with 2x higher multiplier.

hehe I'm at -58 mV too. It seemed stable for a while at -70 mV and then randomly crashed after a while in BF3. It's been good so far. Have you done a lot of Cinebench OpenGL GPU tests? Because I've noticed that when you have the VGA overclocked/maxed out, it runs stasble if CPU is at stock, but when you increase CPU multiplier, it causes the VGA to throttle in Cinebench and give a very bad GPU score of like 20 fps (vs 60fps). When you start lowering CPU offset, this problem starts going away though. At -58, I have CPU and VGA maxed out with 67 fps Cinebench.

Anvirol
07-19-2013, 06:19 AM
It seems to me that every time I push my GPU memory overclock higher, the more my CPU slows down. I'm not sure if it's downclocking or throttling cpu usage, but something strange is indeed going on.

It doesn't really affect games, as CPU power is ample, but in benchmarks like 3DMark11 I see decreases in physics score.

roryh86
07-20-2013, 12:12 PM
It seems to me that every time I push my GPU memory overclock higher, the more my CPU slows down. I'm not sure if it's downclocking or throttling cpu usage, but something strange is indeed going on.

It doesn't really affect games, as CPU power is ample, but in benchmarks like 3DMark11 I see decreases in physics score.

That means your overclock is unstable. Try decreasing CPU voltage when you overclock GPU to lessen the total voltage of your system which causes the instability.

ttrevorbacon
09-21-2013, 09:34 PM
So what can be done if my G750jw is getting 96c as well?

Flea0
09-21-2013, 11:16 PM
hmm when I launched cinebench the temperature jumped to 95C for the cpu package but once the fans caught up it settled at 86C right before finishing. I guess that means I got a good paste job?

ttrevorbacon
09-21-2013, 11:51 PM
you know i dint check what happened when the fans caught up. That gives me hope. Im going to try that out right now and I will get back to you. 10c is a pretty big deal in our world!

ttrevorbacon
09-22-2013, 12:08 AM
Well I only noticed a drop from 96c to 92c, but I think you may be on to something when it comes to the fans catching up to the temp. Im going to try to adjust the fan speed in the bios or possibly find some other way. I will also look into running a benchmark that takes a little longer so the fans will have more time to run at full speed.

ttrevorbacon
09-22-2013, 12:49 AM
One more update. I used Intel extreme tuning utility to overclock slightly and drop the dynamic cpu voltage and I actually got a slightly higher Cinebench score with a total max out temp of 91c. Im going to play with this some more and see what I can get out of it

Flea0
09-22-2013, 12:52 AM
the G750 has a rather less aggressive fan speed policy than other laptops I owned - they take a few seconds longer to speed up and they keep high rpm for longer even after load and temps have dropped back to idle. Because of this, the max temps you will record are almost always going to be the ones that develop in the first 10 seconds of benchmarks...

gebba123
09-22-2013, 12:57 AM
A 100-200mhz is not worth for the increased effect you will get.
The cooling is pretty good so i don't think it will throttle but 3,4/3.6 is like 5% faster cpu.
A gaminglaptop with this week gpu compared the cpu will probably not benifit much from the 5% faster cpu however my guess is that the heat scales diffrent so it will be abit warmer.

If you should change something try undervolt it like 70-100mv and get it to run cooler.

This is a gaminglaptop and the diffrence is for sure not noticeable in any game, only thing you notice is more heat from cpu.

Flea0
09-22-2013, 01:01 AM
I'm not sure about that gebba123, I've seen several benchmarks where some modern cpu-heavy games have gotten tangible FPS gains when using an i7-4900 instead of an i7-4700. As long as there are games where part of the bottleneck IS the cpu, there is something to gain overclocking it. although I don't think I'm going to bother

ttrevorbacon
09-22-2013, 01:31 AM
A 100-200mhz is not worth for the increased effect you will get.
The cooling is pretty good so i don't think it will throttle but 3,4/3.6 is like 5% faster cpu.
A gaminglaptop with this week gpu compared the cpu will probably not benifit much from the 5% faster cpu however my guess is that the heat scales diffrent so it will be abit warmer.

If you should change something try undervolt it like 70-100mv and get it to run cooler.

This is a gaminglaptop and the diffrence is for sure not noticeable in any game, only thing you notice is more heat from cpu.

If im using intel extreme tuning which values exactly should I be undervolting?

kingkaan
10-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Mine was at the -70 too and i had no problems bf4 beta kept crashing after a while and also my pc started randomly restarting every 2 days and when i opened xtu it said it crashed so clocks were reset to defaults..what is a stable clocks for this cpu? what are u guys using? i have the same cpu 4700hq... i pulled the offsets down to 59 and i benchmarked it lost 5 points. but i have no idea if its stable now.

Anvirol
10-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Every cpu is unique.. We can't tell you at what point your CPU becomes stable. Change voltage in 10mV increments until it is stable.

hmscott
10-10-2013, 06:04 AM
Mine was at the -70 too and i had no problems bf4 beta kept crashing after a while and also my pc started randomly restarting every 2 days and when i opened xtu it said it crashed so clocks were reset to defaults..what is a stable clocks for this cpu? what are u guys using? i have the same cpu 4700hq... i pulled the offsets down to 59 and i benchmarked it lost 5 points. but i have no idea if its stable now.

It does get confusing with all the variables involved, but keep in mind that the CPU should run fine at default settings. If you don't want to think about tuning for a while, put things back at defaults and enjoy your gaming, then come back to tuning later.

Increasing the multipliers to max settings is only 5% increase, modest and unlikely to overheat your CPU unless you have a bad paste job - which might be some. Check your temps at stock before turning up the multipliers. You can also run stock speeds with voltage offsets to reduce temps.

Setting the voltage offset to -50mV for CPU/cache should be stable for everyone, but it varies by CPU. Any amount that runs stably for your CPU is good, it will reduce the heat output. Also good to do at stock CPU speeds, really cool temps then.

For me setting at -65mV is stable, even under sustained load, but if I go to -75mV it will reset occasionally. I haven't tried -70mV, but I will at some point because it will reduce the heat further.

All tuning gets to the point where you might be 1 or 2 points off of failure, and stable.

Are you sure the BF4 crashes were due to CPU? BF4 hits the GPU pretty hard too. I ran BF4 for hours at 5200mhz Memory on the GPU. CPU ran fine at max multiplier and -65mV on CPU/cache.

iweber95
10-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Okay I just ran a benchmark via IETU... the results looks weird to me.

Whenever the CPU get stressed the frequency goes down but only slightly, and also there is an up and down pattern. Also the temps got quite hot... around 96C until it was throttled back down to 80C then It would spike back up. That just dose not seem healthy. From this thread it seems that around 85C should be the max running temp and I'm getting 10C above that. Should I RMA?

villiansv
10-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Temperature spiking to 96 degrees signify a bad paste job. Whether you want to RMA or handle it yourself is up to you, though.

iweber95
10-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Temperature spiking to 96 degrees signify a bad paste job. Whether you want to RMA or handle it yourself is up to you, though.

well the CPU never load to 90+ on a regular basis plus I use the PC almost ever day for school. How long does an RMA take? Also reading some other posts about RMAs here is that they just come back with more problems.

Is there a way that I can re-apply the paste myself?

hmscott
10-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Okay I just ran a benchmark via IETU... the results looks weird to me.
Whenever the CPU get stressed the frequency goes down but only slightly, and also there is an up and down pattern. Also the temps got quite hot... around 96C until it was throttled back down to 80C then It would spike back up. That just dose not seem healthy. From this thread it seems that around 85C should be the max running temp and I'm getting 10C above that. Should I RMA?

Completely normal. Nothing wrong. Do not RMA :)

The benchmark does this up and down loading, the CPU responds to the load by dropping CPU when the load goes away briefly, and then comes right back up when the load goes up again.

The peak temp happens because the G750 has some latency in ramping up the fan for cooling - it is skewed toward quiet operation. The temps drop down when the fan ramps up.

Run HWinfo64 or AIDA64 at the same time to compare - HWinfo64 has yes/no indicator for thermal throttling during the time it runs - that way if you blink and miss the throttle, there is an indicator that tells you it happened.

You don't mention that the CPU is being thermally throttled, so if you aren't seeing the CPU thermal throttle, then there is no reason to RMA. In fact, if you are seeing thermal throttling occasionally under heavy load, it still isn't a good reason to RMA unless it is happening during normal usage.

iweber95
10-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Completely normal. Nothing wrong. Do not RMA :)

The benchmark does this up and down loading, the CPU responds to the load by dropping CPU when the load goes away briefly, and then comes right back up when the load goes up again.

The peak temp happens because the G750 has some latency in ramping up the fan for cooling - it is skewed toward quiet operation. The temps drop down when the fan ramps up.

Run HWinfo64 or AIDA64 at the same time to compare - HWinfo64 has yes/no indicator for thermal throttling during the time it runs - that way if you blink and miss the throttle, there is an indicator that tells you it happened.

You don't mention that the CPU is being thermally throttled, so if you aren't seeing the CPU thermal throttle, then there is no reason to RMA. In fact, if you are seeing thermal throttling occasionally under heavy load, it still isn't a good reason to RMA unless it is happening during normal usage.

Thanks for the reply hmscott!

Glad and very relieved that I do not have to RMA my baby : )

hmscott
10-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the reply hmscott!

Glad and very relieved that I do not have to RMA my baby : )

RMA should be the last resort, only after a long and in depth testing using more than 1 tool and test to determine if there is a problem with the hardware, or if it is just a software / configuration / interpretation or user usage issue causing odd readings.

As a comparison, would you please run XTU using the Balanced Power Plan, set the min/max processor in Advanced settings to 100% for the Balanced Power plan, and run these various monitoring tools displayed like I have them for comparison in the image below.

Please run in parallel the AIDA64 Stress Test display to see the temps/cpu/throttling, also run the HWInfo64. Arrange the display windows like I have below, then use Snipping Tool => New to freeze the action 5-10 seconds before the test is finished to get the best overall reading snapshot for comparison.

My XTU install doesn't show CPU % at all, not sure why yours does.

Update => it turns out XTU won't display CPU % unless you have some VM configured - what?!? Yup. Turned it on for another test, and all of a sudden XTU gives me the nice Blue CPU line on the graph. Already turned off VM, and XTU is back to no CPU Utilization reading. I am using AIDA64/HWinfo for that anyway.

Can you please check the version of XTU you have installed, I am using version 4.2.0.8 - if you are running an older version please update to the newest version, 4.2.0.8, before running the test again.

After benchmarking/testing I always set the power plan Advanced setting Min Processor back to 0% to allow idling the CPU speed and reducing heat. 100%/100% can help for benchmarks, but 0%/100% is best for everyday usage.

txgrunt@gmail.ccom
04-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Delete

kingkaan
04-16-2014, 03:31 AM
how do you have those tdp options in your xtu?? dont you have 4700hq ? is that a different version of xtu?

hmscott
04-16-2014, 09:29 AM
how do you have those tdp options in your xtu?? dont you have 4700hq ? is that a different version of xtu?

kingkaan, you can change the values displayed. Click the little wrench icon on the top right of the graph, and click to enable the readings you want displayed.

kingkaan
04-18-2014, 08:18 PM
kingkaan, you can change the values displayed. Click the little wrench icon on the top right of the graph, and click to enable the readings you want displayed.

everything is already checked in the wrench settings..i still dont see tdp ...

kingkaan
04-18-2014, 08:31 PM

and i have the latest version of xtu...is that the latest one too or diff version?

hmscott
04-18-2014, 09:10 PM
and i have the latest version of xtu...is that the latest one too or diff version?

That was XTU version 4.1.0.12, here is a comparison with the current XTU version 4.4.0.4, first a 5 minute stress test, and then a benchmark run.

I clicked both wrench's and enabled all graph and meter readings so you can see all the options.

The run's were done on a G750JH + max multi's + -25mV set through XTU (OC).

kingkaan
04-19-2014, 02:46 AM
i enabled everything too...i have the g750jw with i7 4700hq.. i dont see tdp settingsl ike you do in the monitoring...mine goes up to 96c on stock not even overclocked...i had it repasted...its still overheating...im at -75mv too what are your temps?

hmscott
04-19-2014, 04:20 AM
i enabled everything too...i have the g750jw with i7 4700hq.. i dont see tdp settingsl ike you do in the monitoring...mine goes up to 96c on stock not even overclocked...i had it repasted...its still overheating...im at -75mv too what are your temps?

Click on the pic's and expand them, you will get lots of temp data from the JH, and JX I posted earlier. Peak for the Stress test was 80c, and 83c for the benchmark max - CPU package temps - individual cores are a bit less - check the images - click 3x to expand or download and use irfanview to blow up to read details.

If you repasted, it didn't work out well - it is likely more than just the paste, it might be a failure in one of heat pipes or bonding to the heatsink or other part of the heat path assembly.

I am assuming Asus didn't do the re-paste fix? Maybe send it in to Asus, and ask them nicely to make it right for you.

kingkaan
04-19-2014, 08:08 AM
wow 80c...well it was like this when i got the laptop..never seen it not go pass 95c every time i benchmark that's what it does...i didnt send it to asus..some computer repair shop did it..either he did a ****ty job at repaste or somethings wrong with heatsink....i did look at your images...if u have the same cpu as mine...then this is weird..because my xtu is nothing like yours..i clicked wrench checked everything only thing it shows is this..

hmscott
04-19-2014, 08:21 AM
wow 80c...well it was like this when i got the laptop..never seen it not go pass 95c every time i benchmark that's what it does...i didnt send it to asus..some computer repair shop did it..either he did a ****ty job at repaste or somethings wrong with heatsink....i did look at your images...if u have the same cpu as mine...then this is weird..because my xtu is nothing like yours..i clicked wrench checked everything only thing it shows is this..

That wrench is for the Profile pane, you need to click the other 2 wrenches to set the graph and readings panes independently :)

Profile Pane Wrench settings

Readings Pane Wrench settings

Graph Pane Wrench settings

Your JX/JW CPU readings will be higher than the JH readings, here is a run from last October on my JX

kingkaan
04-19-2014, 08:53 AM
thanks bud. got it working...as far as..my JW readings being higher..keep in mind that im not overclocked and i am also -75mV and just like that its hitting over 95c...it's terrible.. the benchmark setting in xtu..when i click that cores jump up and down cpu utilization is not solid line its back and forth..so i go wih cinebench which i dont have those problems in there..but cpu is so hot. i might need to repaste myself :/

hmscott
04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
thanks bud. got it working...as far as..my JW readings being higher..keep in mind that im not overclocked and i am also -75mV and just like that its hitting over 95c...it's terrible.. the benchmark setting in xtu..when i click that cores jump up and down cpu utilization is not solid line its back and forth..so i go wih cinebench which i dont have those problems in there..but cpu is so hot. i might need to repaste myself :/

kingkaan, cool, when you open it up, take a look at the fittings for the heat pipe and attachments, make sure they are aligned and tightened correctly - making contact to flow the heat toward the fan - it might be that simple. Also, be light on the paste - the paste is only supposed to fill the gaps not be a layer of insulation between the metal pieces - and use non-conducting paste - if any drizzles out the sides and is conductive it can wreak havoc on the circuits it touches.

If you have the Power Plan set to Balanced the CPU speed will jump up and down, on High Performance the CPU speed remains high - keeping things hotter.

Your temps are too high for me to suggest running this now, but later when you get the problem fixed, you can try this:
http://www.mersenne.org/default_20140215.php

That's the one I use to find power supply, cpu, cooling problems. And RAM problems too.

Are you seeing thermal throttling too? Getting hot is one thing, seeing thermal throttling indicates hot spots in the CPU that are getting so hot at such a fast rate that the CPU elects to slow down to reduce the heat.

kingkaan
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM
yup..prime 95...soon as i clicked test cpu temp went over 98c so i stopped it..lol..ridiculous...what would happen if i wasnt undervolted..sigh

hmscott
04-19-2014, 10:24 AM
yup..prime 95...soon as i clicked test cpu temp went over 98c so i stopped it..lol..ridiculous...what would happen if i wasnt undervolted..sigh

prime95 small fft's :)

Here is a 10 minute run on the JH with OC + -25mV

kingkaan
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM

soo I did the repaste for both gpu and cpu my temps are not over 85c and that is my latest score on cinebench :D

hmscott
04-23-2014, 04:28 AM
...soo I did the repaste for both gpu and cpu my temps are not over 85c and that is my latest score on cinebench :D

Sweet!!, great news kingkaan!

What did you find under the metal? Did they put on too much paste, not enough, or was it something else you found that you fixed and the temps dropped?

kingkaan
04-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Well the computer tech guy who claimed he re-pasted my cpu i saw that he used a very cheap paste and he put waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much paste...the thermal compound was all over the place. and heatsink wasn't cleaned properly. it wasn't very tight either..i actually didn't even get to use the paste i ordered which is IC diamond 7. i used one of the cheap best buy pastes because that's what i had in hand at the time..and i can obviously overclock now and my temps still stay under 85c in stress test..in bf4 it never goes above 75c or cpu heavy games like cs go its around 76c 77c.

Lesson learned though. If you want something done. you have to do it yourself.

kingkaan
04-23-2014, 06:29 AM
I was also able to repaste my gpu..which the technician said he couldnt open the gpu because he said it was soldered to the mb..which was a lie of course you take 4 screws off the heatsink comes out..i repasted and my temp was like 28c right away at idle.

hmscott
04-23-2014, 06:59 AM
Well the computer tech guy who claimed he re-pasted my cpu i saw that he used a very cheap paste and he put waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much paste...the thermal compound was all over the place. and heatsink wasn't cleaned properly. it wasn't very tight either..i actually didn't even get to use the paste i ordered which is IC diamond 7. i used one of the cheap best buy pastes because that's what i had in hand at the time..and i can obviously overclock now and my temps still stay under 85c in stress test..in bf4 it never goes above 75c or cpu heavy games like cs go its around 76c 77c.

Lesson learned though. If you want something done. you have to do it yourself.

I was also able to repaste my gpu..which the technician said he couldnt open the gpu because he said it was soldered to the mb..which was a lie of course you take 4 screws off the heatsink comes out..i repasted and my temp was like 28c right away at idle.

kingkaan, it really shows that proper paste application is most important - a little goes a long way to bridge the gap between the metal surfaces. IC 7 is tough to spread thin and evenly, so you dodged a bullet there.

It's a good feeling to do something yourself :)

ultimazlitezjc
04-23-2014, 12:59 PM
i was doing the test that i have read here, and i have these results

my IDLE temperature was compare to hmscott
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/ultimazlitezjc/idle.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/ultimazlitezjc/media/idle.jpg.html)

and my cinebench was
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc158/ultimazlitezjc/cinebench.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/ultimazlitezjc/media/cinebench.jpg.html)

i only had my laptop for a month and a half

any suggestions?

hmscott
04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
i was doing the test that i have read here, and i have these results

my IDLE temperature was compare to hmscott

and my cinebench was

i only had my laptop for a month and a half

any suggestions?

It looks like core 3 is having a IHS issue, and not able to disperse heat fast enough. I haven't used realtemp for quite a while, is the Log showing a thermal throttling event? I am assuming so, but there might be additional info around that log message, can you post that?

Before you report this to Asus, I would run a couple of other monitoring programs, like HWinfo64 sensors mode to capture the thermal throttling event in the temp display dialog - screen capture of that will show temps and log equivalent message about thermal throttling in capture. And, look at XTU graph / readings during a stress and benchmark run for another supporting data point.

If you see this problem in core 3 across several stress/benchmark programs (try http://www.mersenne.org/ too), and see it in a couple of monitoring programs, report it in a Technical Inquiry and ask for an RMA.

Take the screen shots and supporting text from you - important, as it took me time to find what the problem was in the images - and the 1st level Asus people won't take that time - they don't have it - so make their job easier by setting up the problem and focus their attention to the specific areas in the images that indicate the problem(s). If you use Windows snipping tool you can circle the parts of the images that are relevant. zip it all up and attach to the Technical Inquiry form.

http://vip.asus.com

Since you have had the laptop for a over a month, it might be too late to return to the seller, but if you can return it to them to swap for another unit, that will be quicker than an RMA cycle with Asus. It couldn't hurt to run it by the seller and ask for a return swap for a new unit.

ultimazlitezjc
04-24-2014, 02:01 PM
It looks like core 3 is having a IHS issue, and not able to disperse heat fast enough. I haven't used realtemp for quite a while, is the Log showing a thermal throttling event? I am assuming so, but there might be additional info around that log message, can you post that?

Before you report this to Asus, I would run a couple of other monitoring programs, like HWinfo64 sensors mode to capture the thermal throttling event in the temp display dialog - screen capture of that will show temps and log equivalent message about thermal throttling in capture. And, look at XTU graph / readings during a stress and benchmark run for another supporting data point.

i ran prime95 maximum FPU now and the logs are in there there is thermal throttling now not like the first test that i reach 92++ degrees
now 2 cores are throttling and showing hot logs from realtemp the logs are

DATE TIME MHz CPU_0 CPU_1 CPU_2 CPU_3 LOAD% GPU
04/24/14 21:50:00 2763.62 80 83 83 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:05 2753.64 78 84 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:10 2773.59 80 83 84 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:15 2763.62 81 83 84 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:20 2783.57 81 83 85 82 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:25 2773.59 81 84 85 81 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:30 2753.64 79 83 84 78 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:35 2763.62 81 83 84 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:50 2773.59 78 82 83 80 99.9 46
04/24/14 21:50:55 2753.64 81 83 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:00 2783.57 80 83 84 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:05 2793.55 81 82 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:10 2773.59 80 83 84 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:15 2773.59 80 84 85 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:20 2763.62 79 84 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:25 2763.62 80 83 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:30 2773.59 79 83 84 78 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:35 2773.59 80 84 85 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:40 2753.64 80 83 85 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:51:45 2733.68 79 82 84 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:51:50 2753.64 80 83 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:55 2793.55 81 85 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:00 2763.62 80 84 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:05 2773.59 80 83 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:10 2763.62 79 84 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:15 2733.69 80 83 84 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:20 2773.59 80 83 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:25 2773.59 80 84 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:30 2723.71 80 83 85 81 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:35 2743.66 81 84 85 80 99.9 46
04/24/14 21:52:40 2763.62 80 83 84 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:45 2743.66 80 83 85 79 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:52:50 2743.66 80 83 83 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:55 2753.64 79 82 85 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:53:00 2783.57 79 82 83 81 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:53:05 2763.62 80 82 85 79 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:53:10 2763.62 80 84 84 80 99.9 44

is a cpu issue or just a bad thermal paste issue?

ultimazlitezjc
04-24-2014, 02:33 PM
and i forgot to mention, it only takes seconds from 50 to 90 on a stress test

kingkaan
04-24-2014, 06:41 PM
and i forgot to mention, it only takes seconds from 50 to 90 on a stress test

seems like same thing that was happening to me brother...bad paste job..you have to send it for RMA..or if you know how to repaste yourelf you can do it too..but opening it yourself voids your warranty r if you let someone else open it. i honestly took it to a shop they messed it up even more. so i opened it myself and repasted. now in stress test even overclocked mine stays below 85c. in games its even lower.

hmscott
04-24-2014, 07:39 PM
i ran prime95 maximum FPU now and the logs are in there there is thermal throttling now not like the first test that i reach 92++ degrees
now 2 cores are throttling and showing hot logs from realtemp the logs are

DATE TIME MHz CPU_0 CPU_1 CPU_2 CPU_3 LOAD% GPU
04/24/14 21:50:00 2763.62 80 83 83 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:05 2753.64 78 84 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:10 2773.59 80 83 84 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:15 2763.62 81 83 84 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:20 2783.57 81 83 85 82 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:25 2773.59 81 84 85 81 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:50:30 2753.64 79 83 84 78 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:35 2763.62 81 83 84 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:50:50 2773.59 78 82 83 80 99.9 46
04/24/14 21:50:55 2753.64 81 83 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:00 2783.57 80 83 84 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:05 2793.55 81 82 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:10 2773.59 80 83 84 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:15 2773.59 80 84 85 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:20 2763.62 79 84 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:25 2763.62 80 83 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:30 2773.59 79 83 84 78 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:35 2773.59 80 84 85 81 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:40 2753.64 80 83 85 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:51:45 2733.68 79 82 84 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:51:50 2753.64 80 83 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:51:55 2793.55 81 85 85 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:00 2763.62 80 84 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:05 2773.59 80 83 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:10 2763.62 79 84 85 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:15 2733.69 80 83 84 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:20 2773.59 80 83 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:25 2773.59 80 84 85 80 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:30 2723.71 80 83 85 81 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:52:35 2743.66 81 84 85 80 99.9 46
04/24/14 21:52:40 2763.62 80 83 84 80 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:45 2743.66 80 83 85 79 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:52:50 2743.66 80 83 83 79 99.9 45
04/24/14 21:52:55 2753.64 79 82 85 80 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:53:00 2783.57 79 82 83 81 99.8 45
04/24/14 21:53:05 2763.62 80 82 85 79 99.9 44
04/24/14 21:53:10 2763.62 80 84 84 80 99.9 44

is a cpu issue or just a bad thermal paste issue?

ultimazlitezjc, that's pretty weird, you are hitting thermal throttling, but the temps are too low for that to happen normally - you should be seeing temps in the 90c range while thermal throttling, but the HWinfo64 display for Core 1 is showing current temp 82c and max temp 84c - and current thermal throttling, that doesn't make sense.

The Realtemp logs show all normal range temperatures too. No mention of thermal throttling there, but if that is at the same time as the HWinfo64 display, then that supports normal temp readings while in thernal throttling - also shows thermal throttling in the XTU display.

I would say it is a CPU problem, because a bad paste job would have the temps higher before thermal throttling, that CPU is not responding correctly.

You have good data to report to Asus for RMA, let them decide how to proceed.

Let us know how it works out!

ultimazlitezjc
04-25-2014, 08:28 AM
ultimazlitezjc, that's pretty weird, you are hitting thermal throttling, but the temps are too low for that to happen normally - you should be seeing temps in the 90c range while thermal throttling, but the HWinfo64 display for Core 1 is showing current temp 82c and max temp 84c - and current thermal throttling, that doesn't make sense.

The Realtemp logs show all normal range temperatures too. No mention of thermal throttling there, but if that is at the same time as the HWinfo64 display, then that supports normal temp readings while in thernal throttling - also shows thermal throttling in the XTU display.

I would say it is a CPU problem, because a bad paste job would have the temps higher before thermal throttling, that CPU is not responding correctly.

You have good data to report to Asus for RMA, let them decide how to proceed.

Let us know how it works out!

i have contacted asus and ask me to let my laptop be checked on their service center for checking

maybe ill let them know about this throttling, but apparently it only happens during stress testing, its weird because not like the other day that i was testing it shows that 90++ temps and no throttle happening but upon reading your post last night, when i showed you this datas it now throttles and limit itself up to 85 max temperature

hmscott
04-25-2014, 08:33 AM
i have contacted asus and ask me to let my laptop be checked on their service center for checking

maybe ill let them know about this throttling, but apparently it only happens during stress testing, its weird because not like the other day that i was testing it shows that 90++ temps and no throttle happening but upon reading your post last night, when i showed you this datas it now throttles and limit itself up to 85 max temperature

Include that info for Asus when you send it in, they need to know how intermittent / changing the temperature problem is - it points to a bad CPU. I wouldn't chance keeping it in this condition - you might end up having a data loss which would suck...

ultimazlitezjc
04-25-2014, 09:10 AM
Include that info for Asus when you send it in, they need to know how intermittent / changing the temperature problem is - it points to a bad CPU. I wouldn't chance keeping it in this condition - you might end up having a data loss which would suck...

ok i will do so, ill include the files and logs from the tests i have done and see to it that the service center will know it, maybe ill back up my files now, and if ever i will stress test it in front of them to let them see whats happening

ultimazlitezjc
04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
and a question not related to CPU, is my GPU ok under load at 100% with OC (stress) at 88 degrees?
OC is +135Mhz and +500 memory clock

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:11 AM
ok i will do so, ill include the files and logs from the tests i have done and see to it that the service center will know it, maybe ill back up my files now, and if ever i will stress test it in front of them to let them see whats happening

You are very lucky you can drive in to get it serviced, and be able to demo the failure modes for them in person.

Let us know how it works out :)

hmscott
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
and a question not related to CPU, is my GPU ok under load at 100 with OC at 88 degrees?

ultimazlitezjc, my JH at 99% utilization heats up to 87c at 26c ambient, and runs the same test at 81c at 21c ambient, so the ambient temperature plays a large roll in the ability for the Asus GPU cooler to do a good job.

So, yes, 88c is normal :)

ultimazlitezjc
04-25-2014, 09:14 AM
You are very lucky you can drive in to get it serviced, and be able to demo the failure modes for them in person.

Let us know how it works out :)

hope my luck doesnt run out, im quite lucky on the laptop draw with defect aside from its trackpad that drags even when just point your finger once on the trackpad

Magnetone
05-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Hi,

hmscott patiently helped me in another topic, so i i now am brave enough to ask more questions to all you experienced users.
as a new owner of a g750jx out of curiosity i ran a 5 minute intel extreme tuning whilst monitoring temperature via hwinfo64 and my results kind of reflect ultimazlitezjc's results:

Idle:
http://i.imgur.com/fNbXeOC.png (http://imgur.com/fNbXeOC)

40 seconds in:
http://i.imgur.com/8n8UBAr.png (http://imgur.com/8n8UBAr)

1 minute in:
http://i.imgur.com/CBbXalv.png (http://imgur.com/CBbXalv)

From my amature point of view the throttling begins as soon as a cores temperature exceeds 80 celsius, which is way too low for throttling to kick in, right?
Can the 209 BIOS be the cause of such behaviour and what other useful testing can be done?

Thank you all for your help

Max

hmscott
05-29-2014, 02:05 PM
Hi,
hmscott patiently helped me in another topic, so i i now am brave enough to ask more questions to all you experienced users.
as a new owner of a g750jx out of curiosity i ran a 5 minute intel extreme tuning whilst monitoring temperature via hwinfo64 and my results kind of reflect ultimazlitezjc's results:
From my amature point of view the throttling begins as soon as a cores temperature exceeds 80 celsius, which is way too low for throttling to kick in, right?Can the 209 BIOS be the cause of such behaviour and what other useful testing can be done?
Thank you all for your help
Max

ultimazlitezjc hasn't come back yet, so we don't know how it resolved...

But, it is a weird problem. I guess the only other time I have heard of this is with Power Limit Throttling. If it isn't temperature that the protection is throttling on, it must be something else - which I think only leaves power limit issues.

Do you throttle while running the Intel XTU 5 minute stress test while on battery?

There is a little blue wrench icon in the top right corner of each quadrant, including the quadrant with the sensor meters, like CPU Throttling - click that wrench and scroll to the bottom of the list, and check the "Power Limit Throttling".

Do another run of XTU Stress 5 minutes, and check to see if in addition to CPU Throttling, that the Power Limit Throttling also is kicking in.

I wonder if this anomaly started with the new release of XTU, that added Power Limit Throttling monitoring?
http://hwbot.org/newsflash/2500_xtu_v4.4_released___app_profile_pairing_and_t hrottle_monitoring_features

You might try downloading the previous version of XTU, 4.​3.​0.​11, uninstall the current version, and install the rev older version and see if you are throttling under that version's 5 minute stress test.

Magnetone
05-29-2014, 02:29 PM
the g70jx is always plugged in, so no testing is done while on battery.

here are the results XTU 4.4.0.4 :
http://i.imgur.com/nIYOvwf.png (http://imgur.com/nIYOvwf)

Hopefully those were the additional values and curves you are refering to.

thanks

Max

Magnetone
05-29-2014, 03:09 PM
i installed XTU 4.2.0.8 and what can i say.
Not even the slightest throttling, constant temperatures, never above 89 celsius:

http://i.imgur.com/ZYwB7jt.png (http://imgur.com/ZYwB7jt)

Your fundamental knowledge is astonishing.
So i guess that the versions of xtu > 4.2.08 cause some unexpected behaviour.

Thanks in advance and i hope i can get back to you, because there are more questions than answers ;).

Regards,

Max

hmscott
05-29-2014, 07:03 PM
i installed XTU 4.2.0.8 and what can i say.
Not even the slightest throttling, constant temperatures, never above 89 celsius:

http://i.imgur.com/ZYwB7jt.png (http://imgur.com/ZYwB7jt)

Your fundamental knowledge is astonishing.
So i guess that the versions of xtu > 4.2.08 cause some unexpected behaviour.

Thanks in advance and i hope i can get back to you, because there are more questions than answers ;).

Regards,

Max

Magnetone, thank goodness it was the new version of XTU causing the problem.

You might feedback your experience to Intel support with XTU so that they can fix that. :)

It doesn't happen to me on my G750JH, it runs the 5 minute stress test with the temp in the low 70's and doesn't throttle.

I hope ultimazlitezjc comes back and sees this thread... you might want to PM ultimazlitezjc and let him know it might be the version of XTU causing the problem, and not his laptop. :)

Lastly, this is a generally important find to all the G750 owners, this might also be a problem on other models besides your JX. If you start a thread with a descriptive title, like XTU 4.4.0.4 causing Throttling on JX, with your post showing the difference in runs on both versions like above then an Asus / Moderator can make it a sticky so noone else gets bit by this XTU release.

Good job sticking through to a solution Magnetone :)