PDA

View Full Version : Reset UIEFI administrator password how to

welemski
07-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Hi guys!

Would like to know if anyone in here has done something like resetting administrator's password in UIEFI before.

Do please take note I am only human and I am capable of doing stupid things like adding admin password and not remembering them and please be gentle with me.

If resetting the admin password in the bios is not possible how much does it cost if I will send my laptop to the service center just to reset the password?

Thanks!

Apexing
07-07-2013, 11:02 AM
would say you should try the asus support number/email since they should want to see proof of purchase befor helping.

chrsplmr
07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Welemski .. Sorry to hear this .. don't feel to bad, we have all done something similar to this in the past.

Did you register your G @ vip.Asus back in December when you got it ?
PM cl-Albert and see if he has any suggestions on how to proceed.c.

Tomislav
07-07-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure but it should be possible. Did you check your bios settings? What operating system do you have? On win 7 it's easy to access bios , it's a bit complicated in win 8 if fast boot is on, but there is a way...give us some more info,maybe we can help,or at least try.

welemski
07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
would say you should try the asus support number/email since they should want to see proof of purchase befor helping.

I would not worry about proof of purchase :) I did sent my laptop before due to HDD failure and ASUS service center here in Singapore was kind enough to deliver the laptop too ;)

Plus I did registered my g75vx under my name

welemski
07-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Just wanted to know if anyone in here was able to reset the password in the bios. If it's easy enough I would like to try it myself however if it's impossible then I have no choice but to go to ASUS service center for the 2nd time.

Thanks!

Zygomorphic
07-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't think that you can without knowing the password, since it is in the system at such a low level. If you know the password, go in and change it to an empty password, or disable it.

Tomislav
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
I don't think that you can without knowing the password, since it is in the system at such a low level. If you know the password, go in and change it to an empty password, or disable it. Yeah that's what I was thinking, if you don't remember it-then I must say it's beyond my knowledge.

Clintlgm
07-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Well there was a thread a while back where someone was removing the actual BIOS Chip and replacing it with a different one, this involved soldering. Reading the thread it seem pretty complicated getting it to work again. I think I would send it in myself or deal with Asus Repair to solve you problem.

Dreamonic
07-08-2013, 02:27 PM
The Administrator password is for BIOS boot settings not Post password for booting (User password.)

You can easily clear the Administrator password by simply updating your BIOS or by dumping your current one IN Windows (if you don't want to update versions) then link me the file so I can clear it on my side and give it back to you to flash over (this method is preferred.)

PM me if you have questions.

Zygomorphic
07-09-2013, 02:02 AM
It would seem odd to me for you to be able to over-write the BIOS password by simply flashing, even from Windows. If you have tested this method, then OK, I take back my statement, but otherwise I would be extremely cautious. I am thinking from the perspective of this being a major security hole if it is true. The BIOS password is there to protect the computer (mostly for corporations), and so a simple flashing being all that is necessary to erase it would seem odd (at least, without inserting the password first). Then again, it is possible to change the Windows password without Windows (awesome LINUX utility).

Dreamonic
07-09-2013, 04:04 AM
I don't post because of a possibility, I post to inform options; Caution to the wind.

I've already tested this out by simply dumping my BIOS without a password, and one with a password. In this order so you can leave your Administrator password installed and boot into Windows right after. Then I ran CMD and used FTK to flash my BIOS in Windows (one without password) and shutdown afterwards. Take out battery, hold power button down for several seconds then put everything back and I've cleared the Administrator password. Simple. Another option is you just compare the 2 BIOS dumps and edit accordingly to the one without the password installed, then flash it.

Updating your BIOS with a newer version works the same since it does not contain a password.

The computers used in most corporations don't have the rights to run even CMD with sufficient privileges, let alone changing anything outside of their user security policies. So it is not a "security hole" as you put it. Don't think putting a password on a Windows account or in the BIOS is going to prevent further access and control over that system, it's silly. They enforce security policies and permissions for accounts, which go hand-in-hand with these additional BIOS security measures, they are not stand-alone deterrents.

welemski
07-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Thank you for all your response. I already contacted ASUS service center and they advised me to go there personally.

So yeah if I have time this weekend I might go there and bring my laptop for service.

Again thanks!