PDA

View Full Version : pxe boot asus g75vw

enderex
07-08-2013, 07:09 AM
hello, I hope this is the right place for my question and someone could help me,

I'm using SCCM for OS deployment, and everything works great on DELL models, but when I try the G75VW, the process gets stuck at the ''preparing network connections'' part. I looked it up and it seems I need drivers for winpe for the G75vw, but I can't seem to find the right ones in the asus support page. can anyone point me in the right direction? thank you very much!

enderex
07-08-2013, 08:37 PM
guys i really need some help on this if anyone has some input on this issue...im stuck on it for weeks now

Zygomorphic
07-09-2013, 02:08 AM
What is "winpe"? I am not that familiar with the PXE boot environment, so I cannot help you there. Is there a particular reason why you are using PXE? If possible, I would recommend against using it.

Sycokinetic
07-10-2013, 04:14 AM
What exactly do you mean by "OS deployment?" Are you running virtual machines, or a dual/triple/whatever-boot? Or is this managing multiple machines with different OS's? Something else? Your wording is very vague. :/

Gumwars
07-10-2013, 05:46 AM
He's trying to either set this laptop up as some sort of remote network administration tool or use his laptop to access other workstations remotely and boot another OS. Winpe is the Windows version of PXE, a remote operating system protocol that can allow you to boot a computer over a network. Which leads me to ask, why? If you're an IT guy, you'd know what to get, in most cases, to make this work.

Hmmm?

Zygomorphic
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
I would recommend against trying to boot OS's over the LAN, usually it is better to boot locally from USB drives. Unless you have 20+ machines to upgrade (doubtful), trying to do it over the network will just be more hassle than using a USB key.

cl-Albert
07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't know a whole lot more about this, but sounds like this guy is probably an IT person trying to install a custom image (with other software installed?) to many units over the network (it's a lot easier to just attach the units to a network, boot to the network and install the image?).

Anyway, I'm guessing they might just need a DOS LAN driver (does Linux ever use this?) for this notebook which is not posted on the ASUS download site?

If so, they may just want to confirm the LAN driver they need (my G75VW shows Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller) and either find the DOS LAN driver from Atheros website (or other websites?) or their local ASUS support. They might also ask their store to check with ASUS for help if they purchased a lot of units.