PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Black screen (no BIOS) After BIOS update [solved]

santi221192
07-09-2013, 01:13 AM
So... today I tried to update My G75VW's BIOS to the latest version, and after the first reboot everything was fine, but then I tried to install the new VIA HD Audio driver, and this time, when I tried to reboot, computer did not boot.
I think I may have to "reset" the Bios memory, or set it to default or something, I've googled that I can do that by removing and placing the CMOS battery again on the motherboard, but I couldn't find it.

I need really urgent help with this issue

Thanks in advance
SD

Pitcher@asus
07-09-2013, 02:07 AM
could you see the post? if no, how is connect to external monitor? when you flash bios, did you into bios to load default?
if you can boot to os, please into save mode, and remove driver.

santi221192
07-09-2013, 02:44 AM
I can't see the post, doesnt show anything if I connect it to an external monitor, I flashed the bios with WinFlash and I never entered bios.
Also I can't load os, just black screen

Dreamonic
07-09-2013, 05:32 AM
No problem, PM sent.

Dreamonic
07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Solved!

Due to large amount of what APPEARS to be failed flashes (most people I'm sure RMA'd because of this) there is a simple fix to get it back in working order. If this method does not work for you, then blind flashing is your next option.

So what did we do?

During the process of blind flashing and prior to flashing, we were at the selection of boot devices (flash drive in this case) and we originally down arrowed twice to select the flash drive and had no success after the command line was initiated and time patiently waiting before restarting. So then one arrow down was tried for the boot device selection, and before we could begin the second attempt at blind flashing it booted him right into windows and now his display is working again.

This is definitely a strange bug in the boot sequence order from factory BIOS when updating the ROM. I'm positive this has to do with a select order of UEFI boot settings, as using Legacy returns none of these results as far as I'm concerned.

If this happens to anyone else when updating BIOS via WinFlash (I don't recommend this utility) using Windows 8 and you get a black screen after restarting, simply hold ESC key during system startup for several seconds and then arrow down once, then press enter and you will boot back into Windows and your display will work again as well as future restarts and BIOS saved changes.

Trial and error makes good food for thought.

Lesson here? I've said it before and I'll say it again, do NOT update your BIOS for the sake of it being newer. You do not compare it to that of updating drivers. If your system has a problem that a BIOS update fix addresses, then flash it, otherwise leave it alone.

Thanks to santi221192 for willing to go through with this procedure, we both learned something new today.

rewben
07-09-2013, 08:47 AM
hm.. this might be the working method to solve all those blank screens after bios updates.

by the way, what do you mean by 'blind flashing'?

Dreamonic
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Flashing procedures with sequence while looking at a black screen.

Sadler13
07-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Flashing procedures with sequence while looking at a black screen.

Now that takes talent!!! :)

Sycokinetic
07-10-2013, 02:19 AM
There really needs to be a sticky for updating the BIOS... one that explains when to do it, why not to use WinFlash, how to use EZ-Flash, and how to do this blind flash. Hell I'm even willing to write it if it'll keep people from bricking or pseudo-bricking their machines every other day. :/

Dreamonic
07-10-2013, 02:45 AM
I would write one up myself, but the primary problem is informing people before they even flash their G's that don't register here first, prior to their posted failed results, in time.

You don't want to encourage people to be flashing their BIOS in the first place, unless their is a need to do so. In which case they will post their problem here and we can assist them when that time comes with a write-up if we feel a BIOS update will address the issue in question.

Thanks for the thought though, Sycokinetic.

nirO
07-10-2013, 03:16 AM
well my question is what can a updated BIOS fix? i mean what problems can u have that the BIOS can fix.. that would help me for ex to see if i have those kind of problems and to decide if i need a update or not lol

Dreamonic
07-10-2013, 03:26 AM
That's my point exactly. There is little to none, which is why updating the BIOS is not necessary.

However, starting from a clean slate with unlocked options in the BIOS is another thing altogether.