PDA

View Full Version : 3d Mark, tips and techniques to score higer

Rockford
07-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Greetings from the far north..

I am creating this thread because i know we all got experiences, analyzes, procedures, tweaks..
(focus on benchmarking)

What can make me score higher?' How to use the tweak software, and which ones

Bios information, versions
Cooling
Individual tips
Boot up, OC profiles etc
Overclocking data
Hardware
OS Settings

and so on

If we have a "share spot", it could be a useful source of information, and in the end make our already high scores, go even higher..

Examples>

i know some of you wondering, how can i run my SBE at above 5100 mhz in 3d mark?, and for some reason this has been "kept a secret", or simply just information, that just dont have reached out all the way..

>>Or, I am having problems booting win at +5200 mhz.......

>>Below which temperature, should i keep my gpu, in order to archive a high stable OC..

Lets make sharing a access and not a limitation..

Over and out from WP...

// Keep in mind that some of the settings in this thread is for competition only, and not for mainstream 24/7 usage, and can be potentially harmful for your equipment in the long run/neither do they follow Intel's voltage specifications....Individual responsibility!!!!

Menthol
07-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Let me be the first, this morning with my system at my every day settings RIVE with 3970X @ 4600mhz all power savings enabled memory at 1600mhz and a GTX 780 at default settings I ran 3DMARK on my win 7 drive with a score of 8909, I booted to my win 8 drive (no tweaks as I don't know how to tweak win 8) got a score of 9300. Almost 400 points. Makes me want to learn some tweaks for win 8
ARNE,
Do you have any suggestions on eliminating services in win 8?

Arne Saknussemm
07-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Not yet I have to say....I tried starting up in diagnostic mode with services disabled and Fire Strike would not run....I'm still in the position of having to work out what it needs enabled in diagnostic mode to run....I am presuming this is the same with Vantage. I was wondering if the SystemInfo gizmo it uses is related to a service but never got to experimenting....no CPU yet LOL

Menthol
07-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Did you go into services and start Futumark after Diagnostic startup

Arne Saknussemm
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Nope! like I said that was my next thought etc. but never got there....not tested Nvidia inspector nor naffing guvnor! *said in a cockney accent*

Just know it runs better on 8 than on 7....and last time I tested vantage ran better on 7 than on 8.....not tested 3D11 to see the difference in OS....

Rockford
07-10-2013, 04:51 PM
One thing that makes benchmarking a lot easier..

win7...

is to keep a minimal of services and startup programs, running in win.. And to have win set to "performance" instead of good looking appearance.. pure basic
This enhance stability, and load the benchmarks/tracks way faster..

some of us have got computers, made only for benchmarking, with these features..

keep the hardware basic also, amount of sata ports, usb and so on. Disable the things you dont need in bios..

Programs>

is there a program you dont use on the drive, you most likely wont need it..

Its like a top fuel dragster, you dont see them with a cd player, or a GPS??

/ Back to Bedrock

Henkenator68NL
07-10-2013, 05:09 PM
Well windows 8 is not different or more difficult to strip or run with little services ass possible. All things like running in performance mode and diagnostic mode work exactly like in windows 7. I have noticed that in some benchmarks windows 8 scores better, but also some bugged results ass well. I do think it is better equipped for running multithreaded benchmarks.It however gets corrupted very easy and if it tries to fix it has happend that the OS was useless and needed fresh install. Also if you install without ms account you get locked out of super admin controls.

Rockford
07-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Yes the bugged run thing, we have had some issues at the bot with them, are they related to win8?

Zka17
07-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Great initiative, WhitePaw! :cool:

Hm... I sincerely never tried to strip down the Win7... I'm planning to learn it, just not get there yet... - so, if anyone has a link to some nice guide, I would be glad to read it... :)

As general rules I use to follow when benchmarking some 3DMarks are to keep the temps as low as possible... - it sounds logic, but how to get them?

The answer is to spend time with your system and experiment the best conditions for low temps... and here I don't mean low voltages! I mean things like run your fans at max during (in case of the air-cooled components) the benchmarking, monitor your temps and start a benchmark when your temps are the lowest. When water-cooling, you really have to figure out the most optimal pump speed/flow rate and the best fan settings - max them all out and most likely you will run on a completely un-balanced/un-optimised settings...

An other general rule of mine (not only in 3D benchmarking): restart your system before each run...

When I start a new session, I usually let the system to run on stock settings first... during that I'm trying to find the optimal settings for the OS, monitor settings, driver settings... Then chose one of the CPU, RAM and find the best settings individually and together for them... then find out the best GPU and VRAM settings... and finally bring all those together! Yes, this is the systematic approach, which will take time... but that's the most fun for me in benching... while I'm finding the best settings... - when you found them and you got your final score, that's a short glory or disappointment and that's it... so, if you want to have real fun, just spend time with your hardware... :)

Arne Saknussemm
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Guide I've got....but not tried this yet either....http://www.overclock.net/t/804451/guide-stripping-w7-install-disc-for-benching

Henkenator68NL
07-10-2013, 06:11 PM
I do use a tool called RT7 lite, this a tool to slipstream your windows version. It allows you to hand pick any tools/services and even drivers you want or need. You can also incorporate any Service packs and -with some fiddling on MS download site- also any update that you want.

You take your original windows CD, and download the iso version off any service pack you might want, you download all updates. Than with RT7 lite you choose options you want. It than creates an iso from all previously mentioned files.

What you get is 1 iso file that contains all you want, you can even make it unattended (so you don't have to input all kinds off stuff to keep the install going). It takes some figuring out but it is really worth while.

If you need any help I can try to assist you with it.

Henkenator68NL
07-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Guide I've got....but not tried this yet either....http://www.overclock.net/t/804451/guide-stripping-w7-install-disc-for-benching

hahah that is funny, it was typing my previous message, just to read yours Arne ! LOL talking about the samething!

:D

Arne Saknussemm
07-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Great minds think alike Henk! ;)

or was it simple minds never differ...:eek:

Rockford
07-10-2013, 06:21 PM
I know some people use the oc key/ rog connect, i dont..

First chill it down, using a low def cpu profile, till its chilled enough, takes 2-3 min with my bench (the temps determine how high clocks i can use, booting win), i am not 2 keen to nuke the chip with voltage, just to get there.. Instead i hold for a night , and hoping for outdoor temps 2 drop the following night..

More chill= Higher clocks, easy flawless boot, better overall stability

SBE 3930K/5200 mhz/ cpu temp =subzero 0c

(VTT_DDR can be usefull for providing a xtra push, to boot win at a high clocks, +5200 mhz, dont mess with this voltage, unless you really need 2), i dont exceed 50% of my actual ram voltage 1,65v = VTT_DDR 0,8250v) VTT_DDR = memory termination voltage..

(CPU fixed frequency 600 mhz) = gets you there, the default 300 mhz wont get you much over 5 ghz stable enough, will most likely power out during hard load.. Still the cooling is very crucial for achieving this high clocks..

simple rule of WhitePaw's claw, rough numbers

5 ghz > fixed freq 400- 500mhz
5,1 ghz> fixed freq 550 mhz
5,2 ghz> fixed freq 600 mhz

No need for insane overall voltages, if it feels too high, it most likely are, dont go there!!

Back to the benchmark>

i load the cpu OC profile in bios (example 5225 mhz), and restart.. I have pre made a couple of profiles in win/ rough gpu profiles lets say in Trixx, and i dont let the cpu "rest" for very long, after booting win.
it need some load not to crash ( i am running very low voltages), so less time messing around in win, the better, before launching the benchmark..

win boot getting messed up if you change the bclk between the cpu profiles, so my cpu profiles got the same bclk..

Then hit launch..

3d mark complete, take screenshot

load the second gpu profile, which is set a little higher.

3d mark complete.. good score, take screenshot

(Sometimes 3d mark crash, just restart and reload gpu profil, and launch again)

power down, load the low def cpu profile..
back in win..
Fine tune the gpu profiles.

And tomorrow its the really big numbers, hopefully, unless i dont want to jump straight on it again..

This way is fast, and cause very little head concerns, i can focus on the benchmark completely, and analyze the track and gpu behavior, instead of keeping my eyes on temps, voltages and useless numbers. I know the temps, before i start the benchmark.. why temp concern?, i cant adjust them during race anyway. Just make sure everything is ok, before i start

/ Launch and enjoy the ride..

BTW: Its fish in the water (Jane Nash)

Tweaks, no... only tessellation off, in 3d mar 11. thats it

submit the scores after the race, when i have clocked down.. the futuremark website account,provide me with the detailed score, after the runs.. no losing benchmarks, due to cpu crash after benchmark, when cpu is starting to "rest" again..

This is my way, not exactly, but a little rough..

Many ways doing this..

This sound very complicated, but its not..

just make sure i got a solid good working system, and a stable cpu OC, and then it basically run by itself..
less things = less issues, i am the failing factor, not the hardware.. its a bit about prep also

and my other post up there, with the OS thing..

Take what you want..

/ Eng isnt my major

Detleg
07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Voted +1 nice thread Paw :)

Rockford
07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Thanks Det..

Menthol
07-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Very good Paw thanks for the CPU info, most of us don't have the arctic breeze but keeping the system as cool as possible makes a huge difference, especially the GPU and please no apologies for language, if I had to speak yours I would be in big trouble

Henkenator68NL
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Oke Guys,

here is what I do If I do a new test or want to uninstall a benchtest without using a complete fresh installed OS ( so without removing the hdd; wipe it and put a copy of a freshly installed OS an image back on it).

If you want to uninstall any software, this is what I do to really get rid off all left overs from the particular programm. I will describe it with GPU-z as an example.

I resolve it by using a program that is really a fantastic to have in your tools set: Revo Uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

They have a free to use version and a paid pro version. You will need the pro version. It comes in different versions, including a portable version (stick on your usb drive and you have it always).

1. So start (portable version) or install Revo Uninstaller Pro.
2. Run the Revo Uninstaller, it wil find your installed software (like in windows .. but now it gets better)
3. Choose to select GPU-Z, it will call the stock uninstaller and uninstall the programm, then let it check if it it really cleaned => for remained files, links, dll's and regestry settings. It will find any left overs. Clean it all!
4. Reboot.

Other Tool that I do use after install/uninstall = Ccleaner
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

5. Start Ccleaner, at the cleaner tab => windows run ANALYZE. Than carefully select the files you want to be cleaned (regestry dumps, temp files, ie files etc etc ). Run the cleaner. After the first run press analyze once more, if it is clean you can go to next step, if not clean again.
6. In Ccleaner, click on the registery tab, hit the analyze key. It will find any unneeded key, link or whatever. Check the files and if you are sure, press clean =====> you will be asked if you want to backup your registry before !!!! DO THIS !!!
7. (did you backup) Run clean for the registry.
8. When it finishes, hit analyze once more, if clean you are done with this step, if not repeat step 8 and 9.
9. Now your system is as clean as possible (I have done this lots of times).

If you used a HDD (not SDD !!): use the defrag tool: Auslogics Disk Defrag Pro (portable version)
Run the defragger at least 3 times.

Revo-uninstaller, Ccleaner and Auslogics Disk Defrag are my little helpers for a while now. It really shaves off some time in some bench tests to !!!

Hope this is off use guys !

Rockford
07-13-2013, 12:11 AM
I anyone wondering where my post went..

i removed it, i think it was way to messy to understand, and most likely would cause more head trauma, than help..

sometimes my mind and the reality, is 2 different things..

God forbid i ever write a book.. I am sure Aliens would return home, to their planet, after reading it..

Sorry

Rockford
07-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Disable tessellation (Radeon), in CCC. provide you with better score, when running 3D mark11 (and its a allowed tweak at the bot)

Gpu ram OC also boost your score, much.. But if you get frame lag, or freeze, back down the mhz, or else it got the opposite effect = loosing score

Gpu tweak warez, that i think work good is (running Radeon), offourse its a matter of taste..

1. Sapphire Trixx (several voltage mod versions out there), i think only one is ok. 4.3.0 MOD.. simple and clean, and with a memory voltage mod, thats work fine with the Radeon 79 series.. 1,38v core MAX voltage.
Also if running a high OC, i have the board power slider in the "independent" position (in the middle), or default..

2. Afterburner, well its afterburner.. some like it, some dont.. I personally find it a bit too (advanced in its layout!.. when i need work fast..

Henkenator68NL
07-13-2013, 03:39 AM
Thanks Whitepaw!Disabling the tesselation (for radeon) also gives a boost for the 3Dmark Ice Storm, Cloud Gate and Fire Strike.I have been benching with win8 pro, Realbench, Cinebench and Firestrike all gained in score. No wierd results sofar, have to test other bench tests under win8 to see how that affects performance -if any.

Rockford
07-13-2013, 08:04 AM
Thanks for sharing henk, thats good info..

also i have been checking you profile at the bot, a little now and then, and i must say you have done really well, and its not out of luck you pull great submissions today, you really have been working hard for your ranking/score you got today...

great job henk..

Rockford
07-13-2013, 03:35 PM
a tips to save space/ OS disk

I use only a 60gb SSD, for both OS and programs..

Disable hibernate in Win 7

start/cmd/ powercfg -h off

and you get some extra, around 15 gb or so to play with

Chino
07-13-2013, 03:42 PM
a tips to save space/ OS disk

I use only a 60gb SSD, for both OS and programs..

Disable hibernate in Win 7

start/cmd/ powercfg -h off

and you get some extra, around 15 gb or so to play with
Also disable the System Restore option. And if there are any saved restore points, remove them. You can also disable the Page File which frees a lot of space also. But you'll have to test your benchmark with and without it to see if you'll take a performance hit. :p

Disable other unnecessary Windows functions like Media player, Games, etc...

Rockford
07-13-2013, 04:09 PM
win isntalled and updated..

and i got space left for benchmarks, and tweak warez..

The other HD, is an old 2,5* 5400 rpm, only for backup..

win tend to grow a little over time tho..

this is a fresh install

Dartmaul
07-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Well, I've promised to post my "3 pennies" in this thread and here I do.

1) Overclocking.
1st of all, things you should remember about:
a) Heat is your enemy, not just in average, but every single additional degree can make you crash. Do everything you can to keep your HW as cool as possible. Don't forget to grab any dust from your case\fans\rads.
b) More volts = more heat. Don't stress your system when it isn't necessary. Do not try to "add some more voltage just in case", it doesn't always gives you extra stability but always gives more stress. Apply your final volts\clocks right before you press "Start benchmark".
c) Don't try to apply too many untested settings at the same time: if something would go wrong you wouldn't know for sure what exactly made it happen. It looks like a way to save your time but in fact it's just s waste of time.

1.1) CPU OC for 3DMarks.
CPU freq is a very important stuff for every 3DMark. Old one scales more from CPU freq itself, in some modern one, graphics would scale from it.
Things you need: HT, Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch, some other cache features I don't know. And off course - all cores should be activated.
Things you don't need: Virtualization, Max CPUID. Also Keep in mind that C1E should be left on Auto, I've noticed that it is required for CPU multiplier change option via OC Key (if you use it).

Power settings:
LLC: This option can be set on Very High. The conception looks like following: While VGA tests are processing, CPU doesn't experiencing heavy load, and doesn't actually need peak voltage, but it needs it during PhysX tests. Also I've noticed that few extra volts can give a little CPU score gain in this test. So Very High LLC would give slightly more vcore during high load, then you've set manually, so it's possible to set vcore a little lower.
Fixed freq: this feature would provide cleaner (more accurate) vcore to your CPU, but it's really required if you use subzero cooling and keep the CPU at the same temp during all test. If you're on air or H2O you can't keep the temps so "steady", that means changing resistance would affect vcore. You shouldn't use any high values for that setting because of it gives much stress to VRMs but I recommend to set values manually around 550khz.
Current capability (aka power target): you would need at lest 150% for that setting.
Power phase: If Current capability is set above 120% it would be locked at extreme. Let it be.
VTT over-current protection: this one should be off in any way.
For VCCSA and DDR I set 130% current capability and 400khz fixed freq. No need to get higher.

Voltages:
Vcore: well, you all know what is it about. Just remember, there's a point when temps would limit your max CPU freq, and you can't push it further with vcore.
VCCSA: This setting can be set up to 1.25v for benching. That may give you some stability while OCing mem with high DDR voltage.
VTT: I don't recommend to push that voltage high. 1.15v would be enough in most cases. You can go up to 1.18v if you try to push BCLK high.
2nd VTT: No idea what is it about) I set it to 1.08v.
PLL: This voltage has wide range but it shouldn't be pushed to high because of additional heat generation. If you set it at 1.86 you shouldn't be limited with it until you use ambient cooling.
If you have reference VRM cooling - use additional fan.

1.2) VGA OC for 3DMarks.
I don't know much about old benchmarks so I would talk mostly about Vantage and Firestrike.
3DMarks, in difference from Unigine Heaven for example, don't require 100% stable VGA overclock, so it's the place where higher frequency gives higher score.
1st step - set your GPU and vMem voltages to the max! (off course if you don't have some ZOMFG OVERCLOCK EDITION card with 1.8v GPU voltage cap). Also set power target and and fan speed at max value too.
If you have multi GPU configuration you should use your best card as primary. If your cards are on water and moving them is a pain, but best one isn't connected to the 1st PCI-E slot - don't worry! Master card is one, that is used for VGA signal output, not that is set to 1st PCI-E slot. Just replug your monitor cable.
Using most overclockable card as master would allow you to squeeze some more from secondary cards.
Overclock your cards separately, also overclock GPU and mem separately. Don't focus on absolute stability, if you have some artifacts, let it be until you don't crash.
If you have some unused fans - place them near to your cards.

1.3) Mem OC for 3DMarks.
Well, I'm not very strong at memory overclock at all, but I'll post something in any way. (Skip that part, nothing useful here. Seriously.)
3DMarks are nothing like SuperPi or something. Frequency is what you need.
a) Set your DRAM volt like 1.72-1.75v. It's safe if VCCSA is like 1.2v. Then loose your timings and see how far your RAM can get. Use low CPU freq at this moment. You can add some support to your mem with VTTDDR voltage. 0.8v would be ok.
Also you can try to play around DRAM Ref Voltages, but they can harm more then help.
Keep in mind that you would have to OC CPU and mem together, so sometimes you wouldn't be able to run both at these fastest settings. In overall, let the CPU to rule this game. Try to mix strap BCLK and multipliers to get highest possible mem freq when CPU remains at its max.

For example my CPU limit is 5150MHz. I can get this freq with few different ways:
1) 101MHz BCLK * 51 mult.
2) 103 MHZ BCLK * 50 mult.
3) 105.1 MHZ BCLK * 49 mult.
4) 125.625 MHZ BCLK * 41 mult. (125MHz strap)
5) 128.75 MHZ BCLK * 40 mult. (125MHz strap)
(This list can be longer, depends on how far you can push BCLK)

Most common mem multipliers are 18.66 21.33 and 24.
For example, my mem stops at 2360 MHz, let's see which way is the best for me:
101*24=2424, 101*21.33=2154,33
103*24=2472, 103*21.33=2196,99
105.1*24=2522,4 105.1*21.33=2241,783
125.625*18.66=2344,1625
128.75*18.66=2402,475

How you can see, the closest to my max mem clock is 4th way with 125.625 BCLK. It's just 15 MHz lower then my actual max freq.

Strap use is preferable since it oveclocks cache.

When you found mem freq that would be used for benching (it's 2344.16 in my example above), you need to set some timings, at least 1st and 2nd should be set manually. I wouldn't talk more about that because 1) I'm not familiar with the subject good enough 2) some settings can be quite different depending on memory used.

Use DOS Memtest to check your freq and timings. In 99.9% of cases it would show critical errors within 10 sec of the test and all other within 2 minutes.

1.4) Approaches and methods to applying your settings.
Since must of us use ROG mobos, those are pretty gentle and "whimsical" about settings, sometimes it could be quite complicated to boot with high OC. In such cases my RIVE begins to do things I don't understand and most of the time, it ends with Clear CMOS.
I solve this issue with following method:
After testing anything that should be tested, apply the settings to the BIOS, all settings but CPU mult, vcore and BCLK (if you push it hard). Use lower values for these settings, like mult 30, vcore ~1.2v (~1.3 if you use strap) and BCLK at stock.
Once booted, use OC Key/Rog connect/TurboV/Voodoo magic to apply all other settings.
Don't try to apply all at the same time. Apply voltage first when you raise freq and last when you drop.
This would allow you to boot easier, and keep your CPU cool until the storm begins.

PS Don't forget to disable unnecessary stuff like bluetooth, audio controller, and anything else you don't need while benching.

2. Software tweaks

2.1 OS tweaks
Win+r -> msconfig
System configuration window will appear.
In general tab set boot mode to diagnostic boot. It would disable all auntoruns and services expect of those OS need to boot.
Then go to services tab and enable Futuremark SystemInfo Service.
If you want the Internet to work, also enable DHCP client and all network services (those which name begins with "network" word). I don't know for sure which are actually required)
Setting would be applied after reboot.

Also it's recommended to disable page file.
(Right clock on My computer, properties, advanced system settings, advanced tab, performance settings, advanced tab, change virtual memory settings.)

Also you can reduce your screen resolution to the same res that benchmark uses.
PS You can set even lower res for firestrike.

Once you're ready to start the benchmark, close every opened application, (VGA tweaker too) , and set benchmark priority to realtime.

That's all I can remember for now. I'm sick atm so my headache and fever are preventing me from thinking clear.
Don't take this post seriously, I'm sick and can't be responsible for any stupid thinks I post)

Rockford
07-14-2013, 05:57 PM
привет

The Russian Wolverine..

Thanks for sharing, i value you knowledge high..

Cant rep you, it says i need to rep others first, consider you fully repped for now..

Menthol
07-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Dart, sorry to here you are sick, get well soon. Thanks for your tips, I value your suggestions highly my friend
The American saying is, my 2 cents worth, so you gave one more

Dartmaul
07-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks friends!
I hope my wall of text costs at least one cent)
Will be back here as soon as I will get better.

Rockford
07-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Bios editing

today i was running the Geforce 570, but couldent get it past 1000mhz (core) on stock voltage..

Lets add some xtra..

Arne Saknussemm
07-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Nice post Dart! +rep for you....get well soon...high temps bad for brain OCing too

Arne Saknussemm
07-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Nice post Dart! +rep from me and Paw then! Get well soon...high temps are bad for brain OC too...

Detleg
07-14-2013, 09:57 PM
thanks Dart, great Info !!! +1

Rockford
07-14-2013, 10:03 PM
and to prove it..

a fast testrun run, (thanks to the xtra voltage)--> this card has a 735 mhz stock core clock..

Often it dont take much to get that xtra boost..

Much more OC headroom in this puppy.. next stop insanity... and even more juice, savin it for Vantage offcourse. ;o)

It pays off, to spend some time with the gear.. dont be afraid.. (Snake eyes agree)

Arne Saknussemm
07-14-2013, 10:12 PM
oooo you'll pass my 570 score with that for sure :p

Rockford
07-14-2013, 10:16 PM
still, its to0 hot outside, i dont like running the cpu above 5100 mhz, not yet.. I dont like the idea of beans..

Your score is very good Arniver..

Arne Saknussemm
07-14-2013, 10:24 PM
Ahh you'll pass it for sure...sooner or later....never finished with that card had to give it to my brother....some OEM cr*p graphics card died in his machine...maybe I'll get it back one day...

Rockford
07-14-2013, 10:31 PM
haha, this card was my Nephews, he didnt like it> It cant OC

Yeah right

Rockford
07-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Cant even start to OC for score..

My PSU dies on me, its only a 1000w, and its a rail thing also, i am using power from the gpu rail, to the cpu 4 pin + dual D5 max speed+ 11 Ultra kaze, you get the picture i am sure

and even if i rearrange the rails, its borderline, and being on the border is not a good solution..

and its also rated only 85+

This is the 12v rail, at idle...

Menthol
07-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Sorry to hear about your PSU, that happens every now and then as I am sure you know

twisted1
07-18-2013, 02:14 AM
still, its to0 hot outside, i dont like running the cpu above 5100 mhz, not yet.. I dont like the idea of beans..

Your score is very good Arniver..

Great initiative WP! +rep Would rep you all but I'm outta reps lol

It's damn hot here too, around 25-26C inside all day today. So night time benchin, still 18C though but much better.

It's time to break out the AC, will do wonders for my electrical bill I'm sure :)

What about LOD? I think it helps quite a bit at least in some benchmarks.

Dartmaul
07-18-2013, 04:11 AM
As I know, LOD is a DX9 feature, so for modern 3DMarks (Vantage and above) it just wouldn't work.
For some older version, well I'm not an expert in this but as far as I know it may help only in 3D01.

PS +18 in Moscow, hope this would keep until weekends so I could nuke some 3dmarks for Summer Sizzler:o

Arne Saknussemm
07-18-2013, 07:21 AM
LOD works wonders for 3DMark Vantage....set plus 5 to 15.... gets you a lot of points

http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?itemid=931&page=0
(http://www.ocaholic.ch/modules/smartsection/item.php?page=9&itemid=931)http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=61804

HiVizMan
07-18-2013, 08:23 AM
The one article does not seem to know how to bench 2001SE particularly well so do not pay any attention to that batch of test results.

Arne Saknussemm
07-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Ah really? good to know... thanks for the heads up!

Zka17
07-18-2013, 10:54 AM
BTW, does changing the LOD helps anyone in FireStrike? It's strange, but in my case does not seems to have any effect... however, FireStrike Extreme does shows differences (the same setup, same driver)

twisted1
07-18-2013, 11:05 AM
As I know, LOD is a DX9 feature, so for modern 3DMarks (Vantage and above) it just wouldn't work.
For some older version, well I'm not an expert in this but as far as I know it may help only in 3D01.

PS +18 in Moscow, hope this would keep until weekends so I could nuke some 3dmarks for Summer Sizzler:o

Huumm, there's lod adjustment in Radeon Pro, and I could swear I see the difference in BF3(DX11) negative LOD vs positive LOD. Very crisp and sharp textures with negative lod and the oposite with positive lod(Like it should be:) )

I gotta look closer into that or boy I'm having placebo LOD hehe.

It's seriously +25-26C here now, luckily it's abit windy today. I can't handle heat, like subzero better :)

twisted1
07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
@Z: I'm gonna do some testing later when I get home, both with setlod and I'll also try via RadeonPro.

Like in Aquamark you can clearly see the effect of LOD adjustment, Can't recall seeing that in Firestrike, hmm

Dartmaul
07-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Well, I'm probably wrong at this point but I didn't noticed any effect in Vantage and Heaven.

HiVizMan
07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
LOD has a huge difference in Vantage. Huge

Zka17
07-18-2013, 12:43 PM
If I recall correctly, we have to keep in mind that every graphics card has it's own best LOD setting...

twisted1
07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, I'm probably wrong at this point but I didn't noticed any effect in Vantage and Heaven.

Well that's good, now you know how to increase your Vantage score even more! :D

@Z: Yeah, and I bet Hiviz has every number for every revision of every gpu memorized :)

Rockford
08-01-2013, 08:14 PM
A thread that i think contain some useful tweaks for scoring higher with Geforce in some of the benchmarks

// Courtesy of Arne..

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35464-arnie!!-feeling-my-breath

Arne Saknussemm
08-04-2013, 12:38 PM
ARNE,
Do you have any suggestions on eliminating services in win 8?

Well, I'm a bit confused....

After the summer sizzler I'm here so far:

Best of all, is a clean, fresh install of Win 8 with nothing else but graphics driver Firestrike and Futuremark system info.

Services... you can disable everything except as I suspected and Menthol suggested the Futuremark system info service that's listed there.
But!... in as far as my testing went, I got my best score with services left alone and enabled. Disabling services leaves you with your results missing all sorts of info and unable to submit online etc. and did not work for me...at least not so far...

I spent ages trying to leave a list of services running and maintain internet etc. but could not come up with a better result than leaving well alone...

Fresh install with chipset, IME, and LAN driver.. plus GPU driver and Futuremark app was the best.. (and Precision X of course:-))

I have found no tweaks yet vis. LOD etc. for Firestrike

Menthol
08-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Arne,
Win 8 confuses me, like you say not touching services seems as good as any way to go, but there must be something to tweak just haven't the time. this is on a fresh install of Win 8 nothing touched in the OS, my personal best FS run

I haven't had any time to fully test my 780's yet

Arne Saknussemm
08-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Hmm that reminds me I have to redo my Bot submissions....I got roundabout the same score but on a borked OS and not a good GPU OC...I have another 50MHz to add to the baseclock....and before I tweaked my RAM....

Have to get on and do that when I get back...

But, you see, 780 eminently within reach of Titan especially if you're willing to push them...

I presume that is stock voltage? before the warning comes up or have you clicked through that?....or have you torn your BIOS to shreds already ;)

Menthol
08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Well first that is not my personnel best, that's aver 300 points lower than when I had 2 Titan's.
Click the voltage to max is the first thing I do Arne. Factory bios for now. I am sure there is plenty left to push out of these cards but they need to be water cooled for sure. EVGA has a voltage app that can take the voltage to 1.35, I haven't used that yet, the EVBOT tool supposedly can take them to 1.5 volts but I will wait for blocks and find a place for my water chiller before I attempt that kind of voltage I just don't know when I'll get the time to do all this

Arne Saknussemm
08-09-2013, 12:52 PM
I know....your Titan score is my target...kind of... except I'm a pussy and wont over-volt my cards so you will probably be safe. But hey, if that's on air and you have stuff to push voltage...then cooling them properly will almost certainly see you push that score higher...past the Titans

Time? what's up? I thought you were asking for a senior citizen's bonus the other day...I imagine you retired and drinking margaritas and benching by the pool by 11 am....or do you mean you are divided between platforms now with the 4770K :D

Menthol
08-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Arne, to be honest I don't really have any tweaking skills, I mostly try and copy whatever the people that do have skills and make the best of it. I did learn from WhitePaw during the December Challenge that if you can chill that GPU enough and have a unlocked voltage bios and are brave, or stupid enough in my case to crank it up right to the edge of demolition you can get a pretty good score without skills.
As for time, no sir not retired yet, my job requires many hours, I was living close to my job office last couple years, first time in 16 years of always being on the road wherever the job was, construction is like that, I regret not seeing my kids grow up more than anything. I recently moved where I would be close to my new project but it was held up in court over environmental issues, I got news today it's back on and I will once again be living close to work soon. I put that Haswell in a case to use as my daily beater, cpu doesn't overclock well at all, this way I can spend what time I have on the one system, I'm not that good of a multitasker.

Arne Saknussemm
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
I mostly try and copy whatever the people that do have skills and make the best of it.

Shhh....I thought we agreed we weren't going to admit to that!?

Anywho...yeah, fish memory moment...I forgot you'd said that about the constuction management....well, good then that you will be working closer to home...more time for benching....higher scores....more for me to chase LOL :D.....plus, the work comes in handy for paying for the hardware....

Menthol
08-14-2013, 04:12 AM
Something I forgot about, don't know if it still holds true, maybe new windows update or the 3DMARK update has fixed, but when 3DMARK first came out, if you installed internet explorer 10 or even the update before you can install IE10 on windows 7, it would kill your sli performance, score would be worse than single card