PDA

View Full Version : g46vw stuttering on world of warcraft?

kpxmanifesto
07-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Freshly reformatted g46vw, nothing else installed, just asus apps and drivers. Every few minutes or so it will lag for a second then disappear. Its extremely annoying. Any suggestions?

Myk SilentShadow
07-11-2013, 05:36 AM
Only one suggestion, don't unplug your charger while doing anything intensive on your laptop :)

Welcome to the ROG Forums

Djask
07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Welcome. :D

Are you sure your laptop's plugged in? Otherwise, try rebooting to see if the problem is solved.

Dreamonic
07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
I'll give you something else as you've already been asked if it's plugged in or not.

I believe WoW has an issue when "Adaptive" is set in NVIDIA control panel for Power management mode (which is driver default.) So try setting it to "Prefer maximum performance" and see if that resolves the issue. The reason being is that WoW GPU utilization runs all over the place, so when in "Adaptive" mode it keeps fluctuating clocks with it as well.

What NVIDIA driver are you using?

Heh, check your HDD activity light when you notice the 'lag' ..just saying ;)

I have to ask this, are you sure it's nothing to do with your connection?

That's all I got based on what you posted us with.

dogfart
07-11-2013, 02:35 PM
I'll give you something else as you've already been asked if it's plugged in or not.

I believe WoW has an issue when "Adaptive" is set in NVIDIA control panel for Power management mode (which is driver default.) So try setting it to "Prefer maximum performance" and see if that resolves the issue. The reason being is that WoW GPU utilization runs all over the place, so when in "Adaptive" mode it keeps fluctuating clocks with it as well.

What NVIDIA driver are you using?

Heh, check your HDD activity light when you notice the 'lag' ..just saying ;)

I have to ask this, are you sure it's nothing to do with your connection?

That's all I got based on what you posted us with.

I believe ur right. I had a stuttering issue with another game until I changed from "adaptive" to "prefer max performance". The downside to this setting is that before when set to Adaptive my gpu idled about 37c, now that Im using the "prefer max performance" setting my gpu idles at about 49c and the cooling fan keeps comming on.

kpxmanifesto
07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes the laptop is plugged in. I know its not the connection because my bad laptop that I used before had no such stuttering problem. Its a split second of frame rate lag that happens every few minutes. The drivers I use are the GEFORCE R320 GAME READY DRIVER 320.49.

Where can I find the power management tab in the nvidia control panel? All I see is stuff like 3d configuration and physX configuration and a bunch of other tabs. No "power management" tab though.

Dreamonic
07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
I believe ur right. I had a stuttering issue with another game until I changed from "adaptive" to "prefer max performance". The downside to this setting is that before when set to Adaptive my gpu idled about 37c, now that Im using the "prefer max performance" setting my gpu idles at about 49c and the cooling fan keeps comming on.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yes the laptop is plugged in. I know its not the connection because my bad laptop that I used before had no such stuttering problem. Its a split second of frame rate lag that happens every few minutes. The drivers I use are the GEFORCE R320 GAME READY DRIVER 320.49.

Where can I find the power management tab in the nvidia control panel? All I see is stuff like 3d configuration and physX configuration and a bunch of other tabs. No "power management" tab though.

It will be under "Manage 3D settings" and you can apply this mode directly to the program itself rather than defining it globally as their are 2 tabs to define it in. This will allow your idle temperature to remain as low as it was previously when exiting an application as "Adaptive" mode would still be set Globally.

kpxmanifesto
07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Sounds good. I'll give this a shot during lunchtime. Thanks

dogfart
07-11-2013, 11:11 PM
It will be under "Manage 3D settings" and you can apply this mode directly to the program itself rather than defining it globally as their are 2 tabs to define it in. This will allow your idle temperature to remain as low as it was previously when exiting an application as "Adaptive" mode would still be set Globally.

why didnt I think of that...seriously, I should of known that...thanx man

kpxmanifesto
07-23-2013, 03:26 AM
well I did all that was suggested. nothing has worked. could it be faulty hardware?

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Awfully long lunch break, damn! ;)

Are you certain you selected your discrete card (High-performance) and not the integrated graphics chip for Preferred graphics processor? By default it is set to Auto in the NVIDIA Control Panel -> 3D Settings -> Global tab, as you have Optimus. Maybe you are running on the IGP instead, change it to High-performance to force discrete graphics and try again.

kpxmanifesto
07-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes i've done that. I'm going to try reformatting today and see if that helps.

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 05:16 PM
I'd like you to run GPU-Z and go to the Sensors tab, and check "Log to file" and save it somewhere you can easily access it afterwards; Keep GPU-Z running during logging.

Launch a game and play for 5 minutes or until you notice the stuttering. Once it begins to get unbearable, close down the game and then close GPU-Z.

Then upload the log file and post the link here so I can see what its doing.

kpxmanifesto
07-23-2013, 07:55 PM
What is GPU-Z and where can I find it?

kpxmanifesto
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
The problem has been fixed. A fresh reinstall of windows 8 did the trick. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.