PDA

View Full Version : G73JW triple HDD/SSD

A1207P
07-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Hey everybody,

After 2 years and 8 months (and being used for 2 years and a couple days) my main seagate HDD is having some random problems, so I am going to replace it with an WD 750 7200. And I had the idea of keeping on the computer since it still works, even though I have a external 2.5" disk case I would rather keep it inside the computer so my question is if I buy a caddy to replace the optical drive will the hdd be recognised? I would suspect that the answer is affirmative but I would rather get a confirmation before buying.

Note : G73JW with stock dual HDD

Thanks in advance,
APR

Pitcher@asus
07-11-2013, 06:58 AM
i know many people do it, but asus have not recommend it.

fakunchas
07-11-2013, 09:53 AM
if you have an HD with errors why should you keep it? I think you are talking about a optical caddy like this http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-7mm-Universal-DVD-ROM/dp/B0056EW4A4. Bear in mind the exterior design of the caddy.
Your g73 should be able to see the triple HD.

Zygomorphic
07-11-2013, 10:20 AM
From a hardware point of view, there isn't any issue, but from an aesthetic point of view, the optical drive is part of the exterior design of the case, and that likely won't look quite right. If you don't care about that, then it should be fine. I would agree with @fakunchas, if the HDD is having problems, then don't keep it.

A1207P
07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
@pitcher@asus
Any particular reason?

@fakunchas and zyggomorphic
Even though it has errors it's still operational, a couple of days ago when booting into win8 (had triple boot at that point 8/7/ubuntu) I got major slowdown and freezes during boot when I could login I went to the event log (or event registry not sure about the name but you know what I'm talking about) and what I had was a lot of errors related to retried IO ("The IO operation at logical block address XXXXXXX for Disk X was retried.") and another one related to com surrogate I believe. Anyway after getting it properly cleaned I was alerted that the primary disk would be failing soon but that the second was fine for now, after using a couple of programs to check the life of it and got from (35 to 60) and (50 to 100) respectively. Even though I have a couple of bad sectors the majority of them are still working and I can use it for storing some games that aren't completed or other data. The laptop is home with me and only seen by a couple of people and besides I doubt we would be able to see it from a user prospective.
Yes, that's what I'm talking about.

Thanks for all the answers so far

fakunchas
07-11-2013, 04:43 PM
so, why don't you put the crippled HD on an exterior case?

Zygomorphic wrote:
The first two SATA channels (#0, #1) are SATA 3 and are reserved for the two hard disk drives. The optical drive is usually on the next channel (#2), which is SATA 2, which means you will lose performance in the optical drive channel.

A1207P
07-11-2013, 06:37 PM
@fakunchas
Even though I have one spare here I lack space where my computer is (and USB ports too) and since I rarely use the optical (only when installing old games or windows) it could be a better way of keeping everything avaliable.

I though the g73jw only had sata 2 and/or the chipset couldn't handle sata 3 speeds, at least that was the information I got when I looked into it some time ago.

Zygomorphic
07-12-2013, 01:49 AM
I think that you are correct. It depends on whether the G73JW has a Sandy Bridge processor (and thus chipset) or not. If not, then it is limited to SATA II.

fakunchas
07-12-2013, 09:42 AM
MY mistake! i thought you had a 2nd gen i7. but probably not, so, if you have a 1st gen i7 like a 740qm, for example, all your ports should be sata2!

Zygomorphic
07-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Yup! That was my mistake for assuming that. I should have looked more closely at the model that you had and noticed that you had the 740QM rather than the 2630QM. :p All of them should be SATA II or a combination of SATA II and SATA I .

A1207P
07-13-2013, 04:17 AM
It's the 740 yes, although I wouldn't complain if I had the 2630 lol. Anyway thanks for all your input so far, maybe next week I'll have more news regarding this matter.