PDA

View Full Version : Dualboot with Ubuntu -> I lost my Windows

TheDodo
07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi,

I bought a G750JW yesterday both for gaming and for development. I wanted to install Ubuntu for dual boot with Windows 8. Accidentally I formatted wrong partition and my Windows is gone now. As I wanted to use the SSD for Ubuntu, I also removed the recovery partition and the Windows Boot Manager.

Now I want to reinstall Windows and start the whole process again, but I've got no Windows anymore. I tried to download a Windows 8 version of my MSDNAA-Account I got from the university, but this version keeps telling me, that my serial key is wrong.

How can I install Windows again?

All the best,
Dodo

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-12-2013, 12:42 AM
You probably are going to have to either find another Windows 8 64-bit retail disc, or Install Windows 7 with Ubuntu.

Zygomorphic
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Did you actually format the Windows partition, or did you just get rid of the bootloader? If it is just the bootloader, then reinstall the GRUB loader in Ubuntu (sudo update-grub), and it will find your Windows installation. The MSDNAA version of Windows 8 comes with its own key. You can use the ISO download from Microsoft, since the key is embedded in the BIOS. Just download the Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft, and install it.

TheDodo
07-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi, wow, thank you for the quick replies.

@EpIcSnIpErZ23: I'm afraid, Asus won't deliver all drivers for Windows 7 in the next years, so I prefer Windows 8 to avoid surprises.

@Zygomorphic: I looked for an official Microsoft-ISO (because of the BIOS-contained key), but I didn't find any. Where do I get that?

Dodo

Zygomorphic
07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
You should be able to find it on the Microsoft store, not MSDNAA. I haven't used it, so I can't say. TBH, I dislike Windows 8, and so I am sticking with Windows 7 for the rare times that I actually [B]need[\B] Windows. I use LINUX (Mint) for everything else.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-13-2013, 12:41 AM
I have windows 7 Running on my G750JW fine, with all drivers. Better performance than Windows 8 too.