PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750: Mac OS X Mountain Lion

x70xchallengerx
07-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Sorry to get your hopes up, possibly thinking I had a tutorial for you :P

EDIT:

We have lift-off!! Thanks to Bozzified, we have OS X Mavericks working on our beast machine, the G750! Check his guide HERE. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE&country=&status=)

but seriously, who plans on trying this? I know it's possible, every new OS X update becomes more and more compatible with PC hardware due to Macbooks iMacs etc becoming more and more like Intel PC's, not to mention I had Mountain Lion dual booted with Windows 8 pro on my old (and sold) Asus G51Jx-X5.

I know this machine is meant for gaming but... a lot of people love the OS X platform, and I do just about every form of multimedia so Final Cut Pro would be cool to be able to use :P

thoughts? (also, what about OS X Mavericks?)

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Hey, i tried to boot into the install of OSX 10.8, using Unibeast and Iboot. It would always kernel panic. I couldn't get it to even boot the installer. Let me know if you make any progress.

x70xchallengerx
07-13-2013, 12:49 AM
I haven't tried yet, but I should look for some guides for the G75 no? It's closer hardware-wise to this than my old G51 (which I made a guide for: LINK (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283111-installing-os-x-1082-windows-8-dual-boot-on-asus-g51jx/) )

I used the MyHack installer which is what someone told me to use in an older OS X Lion tutorial for the G51

EDIT: This might be a good start: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285143-installing-mountain-lion-on-asus-g75vw/

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-13-2013, 03:47 PM
That's the exact problem i was having. The Montain Lion Installer doesnt detect usb 3.0.

roryh86
07-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Screw apple :)

Tomislav
07-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Screw apple :) WORD! But! If our "ugly, crappy PC's"(being sarcastic) can do this , one more point for the PC team !:D

x70xchallengerx
07-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Essentially. I, for some weird reason, like Mac OS X ( the newer iterations ) and I like certain programs / apps like FCPX and stuff from the App store. Also, it's fun showing apple fanboys that I can run their sh*t on my superior piece of hardware I paid WAY less for than their laptop lols.

Not that I prefer OS X over Windows 8... I mean.. games. xD

WORD! But! If our "ugly, crappy PC's"(being sarcastic) can do this , one more point for the PC team !:D

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-14-2013, 01:41 AM
Now someone needs to make a guide! :)

Xbcxbc
07-14-2013, 02:03 AM
For some development work I have OS X installed under VmWare with my Windows 8 as the host. This setup works very well (for me anyway) - the laptop is powerful enough to run OS X in a reasonably fast manner.

x70xchallengerx
07-14-2013, 02:52 AM
Can you provide any tips to a successful install with OS X via VMware? I know there are "VMware images" pre made on certain torrent websites, but I'd like to take a whack at Mavericks if possible

EDIT: Yeah not gonna run mavericks yet, but downloading an OS X vmware image.

For some development work I have OS X installed under VmWare with my Windows 8 as the host. This setup works very well (for me anyway) - the laptop is powerful enough to run OS X in a reasonably fast manner.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Ehh i hate VMware. It would be soo much better native! :D

slayer2333
07-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Guys can you post a screenshot of your Kernel Panic? I already left Hackintoshing because of 660m GTX not working on Mac OSX but i may help a bit with your problems.

NiPeGun
07-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Im planning to buy this notebook since I cant manage to activate graphics acceleration in Mountain Lion on my Asus G75VX. Mines has an nVidia GTX 670MX with 3GB Vram. The graphics card is supported by Apple since the new iMacs have 670mx, 675mx and 680mx on it.
But I need to remove NVDAResman.kext in order to boot OSX.
Shame the Intel HD4000 in this notebook cant be used. Nor disable the nVidia graphics card via BIOS to use de HD4000.
G75VX owners are screwed, I think. I bought this notebook 3 months ago. Now I need to sell it.
Crap.

Xbcxbc
07-17-2013, 05:15 PM
I just downloaded a preinstalled OS X Mountain Lion image, ran the VmWare unlocker to enable OS X guests and then loaded the image. I assigned 4 GB memory to the VM and 2 processors and it runs really well. (Obviously it's not the same as running on the hardware directly but this way I can run OS X when I need it and still keep Windows, which I prefer.)

I got the image from here:

http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image

Edit: fixed link to point to OS X 10.8

Tomislav
07-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Im planning to buy this notebook since I cant manage to activate graphics acceleration in Mountain Lion on my Asus G75VX. Mines has an nVidia GTX 670MX with 3GB Vram. The graphics card is supported by Apple since the new iMacs have 670mx, 675mx and 680mx on it.
But I need to remove NVDAResman.kext in order to boot OSX.
Shame the Intel HD4000 in this notebook cant be used. Nor disable the nVidia graphics card via BIOS to use de HD4000.
G75VX owners are screwed, I think. I bought this notebook 3 months ago. Now I need to sell it.
Crap. Yeah you are right we are really screwed. Now when I know that I can't run Mac OS X on my laptop I will sell it. Because two other OS's I can use are stupid. Yeah right, we are soooooo screwed.:confused: (sarcastic)

NiPeGun
07-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah you are right we are really screwed. Now when I know that I can't run Mac OS X on my laptop I will sell it. Because two other OS's I can use are stupid. Yeah right, we are soooooo screwed.:confused: (sarcastic)

Well, I meant screwed in a sense that I bought this notebook not just for gaming, but as a replace of a MacBook Pro. No way I will buy an overpriced MacBook Pro without the goods of a ROG notebook:

2 hd bay
Bluray
120hz screen for fps gaming
Possibility to replace hds on the fly.
Possibility to change the optical drive for a 3rd hard drive on hot swap.
Better graphics card
More USB 3.0 ports
More VRAM on the graphics card to assign more VRAM to graphics on virtual machines.

and a long etc

Buuuuut, I need to run OSX applications in a Native mode, like iMovie to edit videos, iBook Author to finish an ebook Im writing and sell it in iTunes store, facetime to talk with my parents in Argentina, etc, etc, etc

I come from an Asus G73Jw hackintoshed and well functioning, but, no 120hz screen, just 1 USB 3.0 port, no HD webcam. Anyway, heres a comparison between both:

http://www.hacks4geeks.com/asus-g73jw-vs-asus-g75vx/

So, I bought this notebook to stay in the same path, but overlocked.

Now Im "overpissed"

faisalfaisal
08-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Comeon guys someone please make tutorial for os x.. we all know 2 is better then 1
And now these beast machine has more then enough power to handle 2 OS natively then y not give it a shot..

Ericio
09-26-2013, 12:19 AM
I got G750JX with GTX770M. Searching for days on the net for hackintosh on it but end up I still cannot go into the installer. I am new to hackintosh and just switched the 1TB hdd with 120GB ssd for dual booting...But nothing can I do now...

Dream
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
For the record, I'd love to run Mac OSX on my G750, alongside Win 7 and Linux.

Ericio
09-26-2013, 11:04 PM
Someone Superb please do post a guide to do it...Tried all the way I got from the net but nothing helps...I do believe the spec fully compatible with OSX...

gazzacbr
09-29-2013, 05:03 AM
Hi, i am waiting for my new G750JX which should be here in a few days.
i plan to multiboot including OS X (but also win server versions and ubuntu).
easy install on my current laptop (acer 6920g) is with virtualbox and iAtkos mountain lion. i also have a native install of lion which works great and mountain lion which is mostly ok.
i plan to try the same when my g750 arrives. will keep you posted.
graphics cards based on kepler seem to be supported native with 10.8.3 upwards
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/100172-gtx-770-finally-released.html

x70xchallengerx
09-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the issue with this laptop and Mac OS X installing natively has to do with the boot... I thought I remembered someone saying it has to do with that the bios being locked or something.

Hi, i am waiting for my new G750JX which should be here in a few days.
i plan to multiboot including OS X (but also win server versions and ubuntu).
easy install on my current laptop (acer 6920g) is with virtualbox and iAtkos mountain lion. i also have a native install of lion which works great and mountain lion which is mostly ok.
i plan to try the same when my g750 arrives. will keep you posted.
graphics cards based on kepler seem to be supported native with 10.8.3 upwards
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/100172-gtx-770-finally-released.html

gazzacbr
09-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi, @x70xchallengerx: i was going to install the same as my acer, i.e. hacked on to a mbr partitioned disk with various kexts. by native install, i meant a bootable install and not virtual.
but you are right about a full native install (incl native power manage and sleep etc) we would need an unlocked bios.
which we dont have,
yet...

marcintosh
10-25-2013, 10:38 PM
Hello all

Long time Linux, Mac and Windows (games mainly) user, I decided to get my main computer out of Apple (No more 17" screens), and for what I do (movies, 3D design and animation, books...) I needed a compouter like the ROG G750JH. So now am I trying to get a way to have 3 systems on board on this great computer.

It really seems that booting and Bios are the main problems. I will try to find the rigth way to orgqnize that. Good news is that Ubuntu installed straight away, with everything working right after install.

Any insight on how to manage the BIOS options is welcome :)

Bozzified
11-03-2013, 01:53 AM
Here you go.. my guide to installing Mavericks

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE&country=&status=

Duke of Alinor
11-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Screw apple :)
Hehe, without Apple we would not have Windows.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/10/24/steve-jobs-walter-isaacson/
Now if Microsoft would just learn that a totally new UI and hiding features is a bad idea we might not need Apple.

The hardware in the 750 is all Mac supported, Not sure about the BIOS though. I cannot even replace the hard drive with an SSD and put Windows 7 on it.

gazzacbr
11-04-2013, 04:17 AM
@Duke of Alinor: "I cannot even replace the hard drive with an SSD and put Windows 7 on it. " ???????
er, you mean like me and several other people on here have done?
check the guides...

NiPeGun
08-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Guys, I created a web yesterday, to centralize all stuff related to hackintoshing Asus ROG Notebooks and motherboards. ONLY for Asus ROG products. Not normal Asus products. The web is:

www.roghackintosh.org

Right now Im creating all the structure for the database and forums. So, it is possible you cant find your notebook or motherboard. Be patient. Maybe in a few days you can find it operative. I mean, it is operative already, but since the forum will be in english, spanish, french, russian, chinese, portuguese, hebrew, etc, It will take me some time to create all forum structure for all languajes.

If you are and advanced hackintosh user with ROG hardware, and want to help, contact me at contact@roghackintosh.org If you know other languaje than spanish or english I will need your help for sure.

Im excited with the idea. With a little help from the ROG forum community, we can build a solid ROG hackintosh encyclopedia.

Regards.

ceorounak
01-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the solution, was struggling with the same problem on my GL552VW since 2 days! :)

~Rounak Kayathwal
~Infinity On Loop (http://infinityonloop.com)