PDA

View Full Version : Advice for installing OS on SSD

medman68
07-13-2013, 02:31 AM
Hi all. Welcome me to the family! I just ordered a G750jx-tb71(has a 7200rpm 750 gb hdd) from tiger and also ordered a samsung pro ssd.
What are my best options for moving OS boot to ssd? Can I download win 8 from MS and use OEM key to install fresh on SSD? Is cloning a viable option? Or is it best to order full install dvd and start from zero? I've been reading through old threads and not sure about how to go about this. What's the best thing to do?
Thanks in advance. :cool:

tului
07-13-2013, 02:46 AM
I would two smaller partitions to the SSD then boot recovery with just the SSD in. Later add back the 750GB for storage

rewben
07-13-2013, 02:52 PM
@medman68, to be frank, everyone has own preferences and my 'best' thing to do might not be what you want best.

i see you have listed possible working options in your post. all should work. so just pick one:

1. use asus backtracker (http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download_36) to create a recovery usb stick and use it to restore everything in factory state in your new ssd. the steps are here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34305-Windows-8-backup&p=280485&viewfull=1#post280485);

2. perform a clean install. that's the best option to me as it helps to start everything from scratch;

3. cloning with macrium reflect.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-13-2013, 04:00 PM
What i recommend, is to install Windows 7 :). On my G750JW, i have 2 1tb HDD's in Raid 0. I installed Windows 7 on them with full functionality.

medman68
07-13-2013, 09:15 PM
@medman68, to be frank, everyone has own preferences and my 'best' thing to do might not be what you want best.

i see you have listed possible working options in your post. all should work. so just pick one:

1. use asus backtracker (http://www.asus.com/supportonly/ASUS_Backtracker/#support_Download_36) to create a recovery usb stick and use it to restore everything in factory state in your new ssd. the steps are here (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34305-Windows-8-backup&p=280485&viewfull=1#post280485);

2. perform a clean install. that's the best option to me as it helps to start everything from scratch;

3. cloning with macrium reflect.

Thanks for the advice rewben, I've read a lot of your posts regarding this topic.
2 questions for you:
1)If I use the backtracker method, can I store that info on a usb external hdd as opposed to a usb stick?
2) If I download win8 from MS, will my oem key on bottom of pc enable a full clean install? (I'm more apt to go this route).
Thanks again.

cosmicmango
07-13-2013, 10:03 PM
The simplest is rewben suggestion with Asus Backtracker. I used it and it worked perfect.

On your question on using and external HDD, yes you can use it but be careful as it will erase everything. Your best bet is a 16GB flash drive.

rewben
07-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Thanks for the advice rewben, I've read a lot of your posts regarding this topic.
2 questions for you:
1)If I use the backtracker method, can I store that info on a usb external hdd as opposed to a usb stick?
2) If I download win8 from MS, will my oem key on bottom of pc enable a full clean install? (I'm more apt to go this route).
Thanks again.

1) yes, you can do that; however, take @cosmicmango's advice (make sure you have no important data in that external hdd; or they will be wiped out before use);

2) yes, as long as you're using the compatible w8 installer, like @Intel Dude pointed out. imo a better way to grab that stock key in bios is to run Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) in your stock w8. (there is no oem key sticker anymore for w8 machines)

The simplest is rewben suggestion with Asus Backtracker. I used it and it worked perfect.

On your question on using and external HDD, yes you can use it but be careful as it will erase everything. Your best bet is a 16GB flash drive.

thanks @cosmicmango for confirming :)

medman68
07-14-2013, 04:25 AM
Ok, been doing some more reading. I'm going to do the backtracker method(on usb stick) as it seems to be equivalent to a fresh factory install. I'm assuming a 16gb usb flash drive is all I will need. I'll let everyone know how it went.
Thanks for the feedback all. :-)

medman68
07-21-2013, 09:40 AM
Success! Did the backtracker method, all went smoothly with a nice new 16gb usb 3.0 flashdrive. Took no time at all. Got into desktop, took a look at windows experience index and was shocked to see ssd only rated 5.9! Re-ran the test and it changed to 8.1! Now the slowest thing on my system ironically is the graphics card! 7.5 for the 770. Now I need to delete some of this crapware, reformat the 750 hdd and we're off to the races.

PS, I installed a 128gb samsung 840 pro so i only have 57 gb free on this drive. Any recommendations on what progies I should run on the ssd? Firefox? Kaspersky? Games? Or is it best to run them all on the slaved 750? Thanks to greater minds than I!

TX2000
07-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Success! Did the backtracker method, all went smoothly with a nice new 16gb usb 3.0 flashdrive. Took no time at all. Got into desktop, took a look at windows experience index and was shocked to see ssd only rated 5.9! Re-ran the test and it changed to 8.1! Now the slowest thing on my system ironically is the graphics card! 7.5 for the 770. Now I need to delete some of this crapware, reformat the 750 hdd and we're off to the races.

PS, I installed a 128gb samsung 840 pro so i only have 57 gb free on this drive. Any recommendations on what progies I should run on the ssd? Firefox? Kaspersky? Games? Or is it best to run them all on the slaved 750? Thanks to greater minds than I!

if i am not mistaken when you restore with backtracker method it will create the recovery partition on your new HDD/SSD
so if you delete that partition you regain 20 gigs of space. and also remember, dont throw away that usb recovery disk you did . that will be your only recovery (if you want asus crap-ware and stuff)

rewben
07-21-2013, 02:58 PM
for ssd's the sweet spot now is 240gb and up. it's best if you put the common used apps and games into ssd. the rest goes to your hdd.

since you're using samsung ssd, you might be interested in using the magician software to optimize the drive. also, you can follow this guide (http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/).

medman68
07-21-2013, 07:08 PM
So I plan on keeping the my usb drive intact with recovery from asus. Does this mean I can safely delete recovery partition on my ssd as Tx has suggested? Or can I just keep it on original hdd? Or is it best to wipe original hdd to one big clean partition?
thanks.

rewben
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
So I plan on keeping the my usb drive intact with recovery from asus. Does this mean I can safely delete recovery partition on my ssd as Tx has suggested? Or can I just keep it on original hdd? Or is it best to wipe original hdd to one big clean partition?
thanks.

just make sure the recovery files are actually copied to the usb (and the usb can be used to restore the system). if they're there, then do what you like with the original hdd.

mvadu
07-24-2013, 03:46 AM
I followed this guide (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31733-Clean-Windows-8-install-on-GPT-SSD-drive-%28G75VX%29) to get the Windows 8 Core, and installed on Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB disk. Windows 8 with all drivers (downloaded from Asus support site), and hibernation file used only 23 GB. SO I have 70+ GB free on my 100 GCB partition.