PDA

View Full Version : Planning to install SSD on G75V

muymachine
07-13-2013, 04:23 AM
Hello, newbie here. I've been lurking these threads recently, anticipating the day I received my G75VW!
Your posts have been very helpful, by the way.
So as the title implies, looking to upgrade it! I actually just got it today, and I paid a visit to the 'first things to do after buying' thread, so: ridding of live update utility, updating the recovery utility and burning the four recovery discs, and I just installed Avast and Malwarebytes, and finally checked the GPU temps. So all of that is covered! I admittedly didn't do a clean install though.

I was hoping I could get some pointers regarding a SSD... I have a feeling I may not require much more than 180gb, but if anyone recommends higher, I will certainly consider it ( I just figure I won't need as much because I don't have a lot of cpu games as it is). Also, specific brands and such would also be very appreciated, as I'm a little indecisive. Lately I've considered samsung pro, or maybe hyperx3k. But let me know what you guys think!

As far as any other upgrades go, I'll probably look into upping the RAM a bit. It's just 8gb, so I might add an additional 8gb at some point or another.

One more thing, and this is probably something simple just flying over my head:
The screen resolution... pages seem so tiny compared to my old laptop, and I guess I could get used to it, but are there settings anywhere to keep the pages zoomed in? I recall zooming them, but when I closed the browser it would just become tinier again.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate the help!

muymachine
07-13-2013, 11:02 PM
Never mind, went ahead and got one myself.

Quasimodem
07-14-2013, 01:46 AM
Get at least a 256gb even if you know you need less, and you'll get used to 1080p

Sadler13
07-14-2013, 01:55 AM
What did you end up buying?
I have the Samsung 128G pro and its been awesome ( Its been installed for about a year now) and not one issue at all.
Welcome to RoG and congrats on your new toy :)
Always come here if you need help with anything!
Very talented and smart group of Rog;ers here.

Cheers.

rewben
07-14-2013, 02:51 AM
@muymachine, any decent consumer/enthusiast ssd should work well in these laptops. if possible, add more ram also. it helps to prolong endurance of your ssd (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ram-endurance,3475.html).

GottiBoi55
07-14-2013, 03:56 AM
@muymachine, any decent consumer/enthusiast ssd should work well in these laptops. if possible, add more ram also. it helps to prolong endurance of your ssd (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-ram-endurance,3475.html).

@Rewben
That's a good post on TOM"S Hardware, I read that the other day!
Yes, adding ram helps to reduce the small writes to the SSD, witch in turn will prolong the life span of your SSD.

One of the top SSDs on the market toady is the Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb drive.
I would go with that one if I was you!

rewben
07-14-2013, 04:23 AM
@Rewben
That's a good post on TOM"S Hardware, I read that the other day!
Yes, adding ram helps to reduce the small writes to the SSD, witch in turn will prolong the life span of your SSD.

One of the top SSDs on the market today is the Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb drive.
I would go with that one if I was you!

yeah @GottiBoi55 :)

however i think it's better to wait for a while to be honest. now it is really not a good time to get ram upgrades due to recent price increase (we are having ram shortage since a few months ago).

you're right, samsung 840 pro is still one of the best performance drives in 2.5" form factor :)

GottiBoi55
07-14-2013, 04:32 AM
yeah @GottiBoi55 :)

however i think it's better to wait for a while to be honest. now it is really not a good time to get ram upgrades due to recent price increase (we are having ram shortage since a few months ago).

you're right, samsung 840 pro is still one of the best performance drives in 2.5" form factor :)

Yes I agree, you are correct, ram is like twice the price then it was this time last year!

muymachine
07-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed response.
I got the Samsung 840 250gb instead of going with less, and that boot up flies! And yes, planning to add some RAM for sure. For now I'm very satisfied with the SSD upgrade. :cool:
I would up the RAM more than 16, but this cpu has Windows 7 (not complaining, I'm used to this OS, but can't say I dislike W8 because I haven't even used it really).

Also the zooming thing doesn't appear to be a problem anymore. Wasn't happening on IE, but it was on Waterfox (which is awesome for anyone who still digs Firefox, this is just better suited for 64-bit, practically the exact same browser).
Which browsers do you guys use?

rewben
07-16-2013, 03:22 AM
@muymachine, it's good to know :) yeah sammy's 840 makes a lot of people happy. if you needed more ram you should switch to w7 pro/ultimate, or w8 basic.

i'm running firefox nightly.

muymachine
07-16-2013, 06:54 PM
True say! I'll have to consider that too. For now I need to save some money after buying this beast and the SSD.
Right on, I've heard plenty good about Nightly, I remember trying Pale Moon and it was actually pretty slow. Differs for everyone I'm sure.

Question regarding the remaining hard drive in my system...
Firstly I'm glad I managed to move all my iTunes files to the secondary drive (the HDD of course), you should have seen how much space it took up on the SSD beforehand. I have too much music. Anyways, I was wondering what else (other than music files and pictures) do you guys store in there?

Quasimodem
07-16-2013, 07:13 PM
True say! I'll have to consider that too. For now I need to save some money after buying this beast and the SSD.
Right on, I've heard plenty good about Nightly, I remember trying Pale Moon and it was actually pretty slow. Differs for everyone I'm sure.

Firstly I'm glad I managed to move all my iTunes files to the secondary drive (the HDD of course), you should have seen how much space it took up on the SSD beforehand. I have too much music. Anyways, I was wondering what else (other than music files and pictures) do you guys store in there?

When I had a storage drive, it was typically Movies I had stored there, and at one point I had the entire user folder stored there. You'll want the OS and actual programs to be on the SSD, but anything else can go to the storage drive. You can manually move each folder by right clicking it and changing its path in the 'Location' tab. It can also be done during installation by rebooting into 'Audit' mode.

'Audit' Mode Instructions if you ever reinstall and want to do that:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/win7-how-do-i-move-user-folder-to-a-different/565f16a5-e5ed-43c9-8422-4f56aebb296e

GottiBoi55
07-21-2013, 03:35 AM

I have videos, and my game files on the DATA/HDD (games take up way too much space to be on the SSD)
Games run perfectly fine on the HDD no performance drop in game play! (only load tines are slower)