PDA

View Full Version : Asus G750 GPU Upgrade.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi everyone! I was bored over the past few days, and have been looking into upgrade to the G73JH GPU. I understand that they had to do some modding to get everything to work. I am wondering (With a little modding :) ) if we could possibly upgrade the GPU in the Asus G750 in the future.

Thanks

Pitcher@asus
07-15-2013, 02:42 AM
asus will not agree do it, but i know most people will do it, it will void warranty, G750 is newly laptop, i think it is under warranty.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-15-2013, 02:51 AM
I understand that Asus will not agree, i was just wondering technically if it is possible. 2-3 years down the road i may attempt it! :)

Paske
07-16-2013, 07:11 PM
G750 has custom made MXM socket. So, no.

You will not be able to upgrade your GPU unless you buy it off some other 750 that has died, but has intact GPU.

Dr4g0n36
07-16-2013, 10:28 PM
yeah, the only way is to find any G750Jx died but with GPU fine. Don't try to search Jh models beacuse the card (780) is bigger and coolant are not the same, also the entire notebook is a little big high to permit the airflow.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-16-2013, 10:32 PM
Yea. My next laptop might be an Alienware or a Clevo.

Neptun
07-16-2013, 11:06 PM
dont buy alienware bro, buy clevo, i found a laptop with the same specs of a g750 jw for 2k usd when the g750jw cost me 1.2k usd lol, i recommend you clevo, its the best brand of good/cheap gaming laptops... i like asus but i only bough it cuz this was the best laptop i found at bestbuy.

DrPhill94
12-25-2013, 07:23 PM
dont buy alienware bro, buy clevo, i found a laptop with the same specs of a g750 jw for 2k usd when the g750jw cost me 1.2k usd lol, i recommend you clevo, its the best brand of good/cheap gaming laptops... i like asus but i only bough it cuz this was the best laptop i found at bestbuy.

Same here, only reason I got one. Plus the style of it gets a lot of looks from my neighbors hehe. I was so disappointed when I found out Best Buy's is a "dumbed-down" version of it, less ram and whatnot. If they'd let me I'd trade it in and drop the extra $400-$600 on the next model up. Anyone know a good way to do that? Maybe 3rd party seller?

cheatermclaggin
12-25-2013, 07:39 PM
best buy version just has less ram and and warrenty is for 1 year instead of 2 and you dont get as much space for online storage nothing is really ground breaking at a lose. the important stuff is all the same

kylelong
06-03-2014, 01:41 AM
I have just bought a new G750JM. I am thinking of upgrading the graphic cards to 870M or 880M in the future after the warranty period.
Is it possible? Thank you.

Indirect
06-04-2014, 12:58 AM
Even with less ram it's not a big deal, you can just upgrade the RAM and remove optical drive for an SSD.

Coldfusionstorm
08-21-2014, 12:30 PM
I have just bought a new G750JM. I am thinking of upgrading the graphic cards to 870M or 880M in the future after the warranty period.
Is it possible? Thank you.

Im also very interested in this as i have a nice new machine with a 765m and id really like a 880m or newer (not sure what newest card is).
(g750-jw)

hmscott
08-21-2014, 01:35 PM
Im also very interested in this as i have a nice new machine with a 765m and id really like a 880m or newer (not sure what newest card is).
(g750-jw)

Coldfusionstorm, the G750 series doesn't support any GPU / CPU upgrades.

The CPU is soldered in to the motherboard.

The GPU is unique in the BIOS for that Model, the cooling and power requirements of the 780m/880m are unique to the JH/JZ and won't physically fit into the other models.

There is only one sure way to upgrade a G750, I did it myself, I bought a JW - optimized it - sold it - bought a JX - optimized it - sold it - bought a JH - optimized it - and stopped my upgrades there :)

Coldfusionstorm
08-24-2014, 01:22 AM
Coldfusionstorm, the G750 series doesn't support any GPU / CPU upgrades.

The CPU is soldered in to the motherboard.

The GPU is unique in the BIOS for that Model, the cooling and power requirements of the 780m/880m are unique to the JH/JZ and won't physically fit into the other models.

There is only one sure way to upgrade a G750, I did it myself, I bought a JW - optimized it - sold it - bought a JX - optimized it - sold it - bought a JH - and stopped my upgrades there :)

What exactly do you mean with optimizing?, also, too bad i guess. this model was bought with 3 yeah warrenty for accidents including spills. so a very good deal.

the cpu is super stong so not worried there. Ahh well, i guess i will just enjoy it then :) a 880m would be nice tho

Thabks for the reply hmmscot. the ROG series have a awesome design, wish they could have upgrades too.

hmscott
08-24-2014, 01:31 AM
What exactly do you mean with optimizing?, also, too bad i guess. this model was bought with 3 yeah warrenty for accidents including spills. so a very good deal.

the cpu is super stong so not worried there. Ahh well, i guess i will just enjoy it then :) a 880m would be nice tho

Coldfusionstorm, the JW is a great laptop, and you will be able to run most any game you want for those 3 years. There are several technical trends that will require an upgrade someday to play some games, but even then you will still be able to play 99% of the games out there :)

By Optimize I mean things like tuning Windows, TCP, unlocking the i7-4700HQ multipliers to get 3.6ghz single threaded performance, tuning the GPU / memory speeds to max stable speeds, replacing the HDD's with SSD, upgrading the Optical to Blu-ray, etc.

Read up on all those optimizations in the forums, and ask / answer questions as you feel so moved.

Welcome to the G750 ROG Forum :)