PDA

View Full Version : G75VX Windows 8 - "Eject PCI to PCI Bridge" [solved?]

OrdinaryGamer
07-15-2013, 08:02 PM
After adding a Crucial 250GB SSD hard drive (in primary slot for OS) and also installing 2 additional Crucial 4GB DDR3 dimms and then using the Asus Backtracker program to re-install Windows 8 I now get the Safely Remove Hardware "Eject PCI to PCI Bridge" icon in my taskbar. Any ideas?

Windows recognizes my new HDD and RAM fine and its so much faster at booting up now :) But This message is driving me bonkers and Google yields no helpful results...

Quasimodem
07-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Reinstall the motherboard chipset drivers from the Asus site

Clintlgm
07-15-2013, 09:46 PM
yes you will have to install them from Command prompt as an administrator, Use Switches -overall and -override, with out these switch's the new drivers will not load.

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 12:16 AM
I had already downloaded the driver from the Asus support website Chipset_Intel_Win8_32_64_Z9301025.zip and installed it, rebooted no change when I first re-installed Windows through Asus Backtracker.

I extracted the files and ran the setup.exe file in the first folder, it said it installed but I still get the message about Eject PCI to PCI Bridge. Upon further inspection there is a folder called x64 that has a file called Difx64 (64 bit driver installer is the description). So I'm going to right-click and run it as administrator first and see if that works, otherwise I'll try the command prompt method.

Thank you both for your help! I greatly appreciate it.

RTFM -- I feel like such a n00b right now; I'll show myself out..

* 9H. INSTALLING THE Windows 8 INF FILES AFTER
* OS INSTALLATION
Some Intel(R) chipset platforms already are supported by
Windows 8 so it may not be necessary to use the INF
files provided by this software to update Windows 8.

The following steps describe the installation process of
the Windows 8 INF files. You may need to repeat these
steps to update all Intel(R) chipset devices not supported
by Windows 8.

1. Copy the contents of the
<INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\Win7
directory to the root directory A removable media,
such as a USB flash drive (UFD) or floppy disk (A:\).

NOTE:
XXXX is the directory name for the chipset
of interest. Refer to Section 8 for more details.

2. Close all programs currently running on the system.
3. Click on Start.
4. Select Settings.
5. Select the Control Panel.
6. Double-click on the System icon.
7. Click on the Hardware tab.
8. Click on the Device Manager button.
9. Select "Devices by connection" under the View menu.
10. Click on MPS Uniprocessor PC -OR- MPS
Multiprocessor PC.

NOTE:
Only one of the above items will be
displayed for a given system.

11. Click on PCI bus.
12. Right-click on the line containing the description
PCI standard host CPU bridge
-or-
PCI standard ISA bridge
-or-
PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
-or-
PCI System Management Bus
-or-
Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
-or-
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
(This line will be selected.)
13. Select Properties from the pull-down menu.
14. Click on the Driver tab.
15. Click on the Update Driver button.
16. Windows 8 will launch the Upgrade Device
Driver Wizard. Select Browse my computer for the driver software.
17. Enter "A:\" in the Combo Box.
18. Ensure that the Include Subfolders checkbox is checked.
19. Select Next.
20. The window Will Display the Device that was installed.
21. Select Close.
22. Reboot the system if prompted to do so.

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 12:47 AM
yes you will have to install them from Command prompt as an administrator, Use Switches -overall and -override, with out these switch's the new drivers will not load.

Ok, the readme instructions don't work and are not even that accurate with the descriptions so the last thing to try is what you suggest but I don't understand "use switches -overll and -override", could you give me a more specific command line that will install this driver for me?

Also, I took a screenshot of my Device Manager showing where the problem is:
http://i.imgur.com/3MaBd2G.jpg

rewben
07-16-2013, 03:03 AM
what @Clintlgm meant was that you should run the command prompt as administrator, navigate in the command prompt to the folder where the setup.exe for the intel chipset drivers is at, then issue the command "setup.exe -overall -override" without quotes.

the options that you can use is as follows (you can get that prompt if you issued "setup.exe -?"):

Clintlgm
07-16-2013, 03:52 AM
This is what it should look like at least this is what worked for me.
What you want to do is overwrite all your chipset drivers whether newer or not. hopefully this will solve your PCI Bridge problems. You can's go wrong with the latest Intel chipset drivers. You restored so your on the original chipset drivers and it sounds like some of them are corrupted.

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 05:02 PM
@Clintlgm and @rewben thank you both for your assistance

I was successful in installing the Chipset drivers through the command prompt using -overall and -overide and then rebooted the system as prompted. After reboot the PCI to PCI Bridge notification was still showing up under "Safely Remove Hardware". So then I followed @Clintlgm's other suggestion which was to re-install the Intel Rapid Storage driver as well and reboot. However, when I try to install IRST driver I get the following error:

http://i.imgur.com/8ZRihmS.jpg

I'm starting to get tempted to use the Recovery Utility again and do another fresh install and see if it helps. I'm going to download the latest version of the Chipset drivers from Intel's rather than from Asus Support and see if that will work...

cl-Albert
07-16-2013, 05:54 PM
After adding a Crucial 250GB SSD hard drive (in primary slot for OS) and also installing 2 additional Crucial 4GB DDR3 dimms and then using the Asus Backtracker program to re-install Windows 8 I now get the Safely Remove Hardware "Eject PCI to PCI Bridge" icon in my taskbar. Any ideas?

Windows recognizes my new HDD and RAM fine and its so much faster at booting up now :) But This message is driving me bonkers and Google yields no helpful results...

Sorry, I don't do a lot of SSD upgrades and may be wrong about this, but if everybody doesn't already know, guessing that PCI to PCI bridge is coming from the Crucial 250GB SSD hard drive? I'm not sure if there is a way to get rid of it though which you guys may be working on now.

Also, just wanted to make sure everybody was on the same page and understood this was not a device manager error, but just an icon appearing in the notifications area which can be easily ignored through the customize options?
Below is a picture with my external drive hooked up just to be clear about this.

Edit: Just noticed your screenshot error for device manager, so not really sure what is going on.

If the original hard drive is still bootable, try booting with it to check if the removable device appears whenever your Crucial SSD drive is plugged in, and if necessary, we may want to check with Crucial or other Crucial SSD owners for more info.

Anyway, if guys already know what is going on feel free to ignore me and please pardon the interruption.

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
I ran the Asus Backtracker again and re-installed Windows 8 using the Recovery image and still get the same error. I installed the chipset drivers again (with -overall and override), the IRST drivers (still fails) and the Intel Management Utility.

I want to point out some more details that may help with identifying the cause:

Prior to adding the Crucial M500 SSD I used Asus Backtracker to create the recovery when my SATA was the primary drive
I installed the SSD in the primary slot and moved the SATA to the secondary slot
Upon booting up I hit the ESC key to load the bootloader from the USB stick that has my Asus Backtracker Recovery
After re-installing Windows I noticed I went from having 1 partition to 5 partitions (the recovery for whatever reason divided my original SATA into 3 partitions) and my SSD is split into 2 partitions (I assume the second is for Recovery)
This is when I also noticed the notification to Safely Remove Hardware PCI to PCI Bridge.
So the problem with the PCI to PCI-Bridge began only AFTER I installed the SSD in the primary and ran the Asus recovery. Not sure what my next steps should be...there are no drivers listed for the M500 SSD on crucial.com. When you use the Asus Recovery through Backtracker it doesn't ask you where you want to install the OS and how you want to partition/format the drives.

Should I remove the SSD and put the SATA back to primary? Is there a Windows 8 ISO I can use to perform a FRESH install without using the Asus Recovery?

**For the sake of clarification, this is what I get**
http://i.imgur.com/piGvlbc.jpg

cl-Albert
07-16-2013, 06:20 PM
I'd like to wait to hear from others, but guessing it is normal with the Crucial M500 SSD installed (that PCI to PCI bridge is part of the SSD drive?) and nothing to worry about if everything works okay (I wonder what will happen if you accidentally stop that device while trying to remove a different device?)?

If you are you seeing any other problems using the system though, please let us know.

Thanks for the details and screenshot by the way.

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
@cl-Albert I have told it to "safely remove" it several times, I notice no performance problems or anything. My system runs great and is really fast now with SSD but I'm just annoyed that I can't get rid of the notification (I know I can disable the notification but I want to solve the actual problem). Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "stop that device while trying to remove a different device". I have nothing else plugged in to remove/eject.

*I've now created a forum thread at crucial.com asking for advice and I am about to live chat with an agent from Crucial. I will post if I get anything helpful.

Quasimodem
07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Could you double-click on the 'Base System Device' in the screenshot and report what WIndows says for the hardware's status? It typically says 'This Device is working properly'

Which drive are the D, and F partitions on?

cl-Albert
07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
@OrdinaryGamer, if you 'safely remove' that PCI to PCI bridge, does the icon disappear, or nothing really happens?

I don't think I know enough about it and want to stop posting, but my 'theory' is that the PCI to PCI bridge is part of your SSD drive, so if it was actually removed, Windows would crash, or it probably will just not let you do this.
Yeah, if you did plug in an external drive, I was wondering what would happen if you accidentally removed that PCI to PCI bridge, but sounds like you already tried this by itself.

Anyway, we should probably wait to see if anybody else has more ideas?

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 07:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CFMlXLW.jpg

This is from the Event Tab in the Device Manger for the Properties of this device.

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1548&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_03\6&34ca46e4&0&000000E4 was configured.
Driver Name: null
Class GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Driver Date:
Driver Version:
Driver Provider:
Driver Section:
Driver Rank: 0x0
Matching Device ID:
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false

Spoke with Crucial Technician this is their instructions on what to do:

1. Enter Device Manager in Windows via either your Control Panel or Computer Management.
2. You should see a category of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" or possibly "Storage Controllers". Click the 'plus' symbol to the left of this line to expand that category.
3. All manufacturer drivers under this category will appear. For each entry, right click, select 'Uninstall', and ensure for each uninstall window you select 'Delete the driver software for this device'. If you are given a confirmation prompt to remove this software, click yes.
4. Once all items are gone from this category, restart your system.
5. Windows will see that the old drivers are gone and automatically install Microsoft's equivalent. Afterward, the system will prompt you to restart again. Go ahead and do so.

He also suggested performing a clean Windows 8 install but I told him I can't do a "clean" install because Asus only provides the recovery utility not the Windows 8 OEM disc

PARTITIONS
http://i.imgur.com/lCe4AXf.jpg

C:\ and D:\ are on the Crucial SSD
F:\ and G:\ are on the original hard (HGST HTS541010A8E680, came with the laptop)

@OrdinaryGamer, if you 'safely remove' that PCI to PCI bridge, does the icon disappear, or nothing really happens?

I don't think I know enough about it and want to stop posting, but my 'theory' is that the PCI to PCI bridge is part of your SSD drive, so if it was actually removed, Windows would crash, or it probably will just not let you do this.

When I safely remove the hardware nothing happens, no crashes, etc. But it still shows in my Device Manager.

Quasimodem
07-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Try clicking 'Update Driver' and see if it gets one from Windows Update

OrdinaryGamer
07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Try clicking 'Update Driver' and see if it gets one from Windows Update

I've tried that and it says that "The best driver software is already installed. Windows has determined that your software is up to date".

I have a friend that's going to let me borrow his Windows 8 64bit OEM disc and I'm going to do an actual CLEAN install of everything that way. I'll back up all the necessary drivers on my USB stick and give that a try.

http://i.imgur.com/028mLuc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KaEM1hg.jpg

From EVENT Tab

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1548&SUBSYS_11112222&REV_03\4&24b44090&0&00E4 was configured.
Driver Name: machine.inf
Class GUID: {4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: PCI_DRV
Driver Rank: 0xFF2006
Matching Device ID: PCI\CC_0604
Outranked Drivers:
Device Updated: false

Quasimodem
07-16-2013, 08:21 PM
If you're doing a clean install, you can get by with installing a minimal amount of drivers. Make sure to take down your product key from the current installation before reinstalling, it's hidden in the BIOS.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/where-do-i-find-the-windows-8-product-key-when-it/d4c5c0c1-825d-47f2-9bed-d9625c7e68ff (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/windows-8-product-key.htm)

Clintlgm
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
I got an idea, check your properties on the SSD, policy tab, check enable write cashing on device. If this is enable the drive shouldn't be Hot swappable and out of your eject dialog. Just grasping at anything at this point?
I have noticed on my WS Win 7 pro P7P pro MB that my SATA 3 Drives are in my eject menu all the time. I thought it was because on this WS my drives are hot swappable.

OrdinaryGamer
07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
SOLVED - Unfortunately I'm not exactly sure which trick actually worked. I did a clean install using Windows 8 Enterprise ISO and then it didn't display the message. So then I re-installed Windows 8 using my Asus Recovery and still hasn't popped back up. I tried changing settings in the BIOS as well as the Enable Write Caching on the SSD. The problem is solved but I do not have a specific answer unfortunately.

I want to say thank you to everyone who took the time to review this thread and offered their support.

cl-Albert
07-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Good to hear and thanks for letting us know.

This is also a wild guess, but wondering if it had anything to do Windows important/critical updates or maybe even just restarting Win8 (which is a good idea and easy thing to try if you run into any software issues) instead of shutting down? just a couple more things I usually check and forgot to this time.