PDA

View Full Version : Cooling question

Zacharyp1
07-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Just wondering if the cooling fans pull air through the bottom or through the keyboard. Haven't been able to find anything searching. Also, is there any way to manually adjust fan speed?

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Im pretty sure they pull air from the keyboard area. Try using HWinfo to control the fan speed.

Pitcher@asus
07-18-2013, 03:48 AM
i think asus laptop can not control fan speed.

Zygomorphic
07-19-2013, 01:57 AM
The fan speed is set via thermometers in the BIOS, so it goes up and down as necessary. You shouldn't need to play with it, as it already balances cooling with performance. It pulls the air in through the speaker grille above the keyboard, and so you don't need a cooling pad to run the laptop at maximum.

mvadu
07-19-2013, 01:14 PM
The fan speed is set via thermometers in the BIOS, so it goes up and down as necessary. You shouldn't need to play with it, as it already balances cooling with performance. It pulls the air in through the speaker grille above the keyboard, and so you don't need a cooling pad to run the laptop at maximum.

I don't see any speaker gills above keyboard on my G750 :)

ttrevorbacon
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Get a flashlight and look underneath your screen where the hinges of the monitor are. There are speaker grills attacked at the back of the main body there and at the bottom of the monitor itself. They are very well hidden

kingfish
09-21-2013, 09:44 PM
so no need to buy one of these cooling pad for laptops??? :)

Flea0
09-21-2013, 11:05 PM
yep. the g750 doesn't take air in from the bottom, so it can do heavy gaming while sitting on the table without any clunky cooling pads. That's why the JH has taller feet, it gives the laptop just the clearance it needs. without making a habit out of it, you can even put it on the bed to watch a movie if the exhausts aren't obstructed.

ttrevorbacon
09-21-2013, 11:27 PM
Nope... Actually as far as I can tell this may be the first laptop I have ever had that I am willing to lay on my bed (for short periods of time) without fear of causing it to overheat due to the intake placement. Juts remember to keep the rear heat outports free and open. I even ran a few experiments on m JW to find the best way of cooling the laptop during benchmarks and I found nothing helped keep it cooler by way of elevating it or putting fans under it. I even set it on a stack of towels and ran a 30 minute benchmark to see if it would heat up due to lack or airflow on the bottom and there was no change. That was when I started to do research on where the air intakes where. However, if your cat comes up and layes on your keyboard you might be in trouble.

Flea0
09-21-2013, 11:38 PM
yeah, leaving it on with the screen closed is probably not a good idea from that point of view.

ttrevorbacon
09-21-2013, 11:46 PM
It goes to sleep when the screen is closed leaving the temperatures at a negligible level. I leave multiple programs like illustrator and photoshop open all the time while the monitor is closed and put it in my carrying bag and when I open it up the he GPU and CPU are at about room temperature. I use CPUID if you are interested in a similar comparison.

Flea0
09-22-2013, 12:57 AM
of course the laptop is barely drawing power in sleep, I'm talking about keeping it awake while for example torrenting through the night, where you might be tempted to close the lid to prevent dust from getting in and light from coming out. I personally disable the "sleep when lid is closed" setting because I never use sleep: with the SSD it takes only a couple seconds more to recover from hybernation, which allows me to carry the laptop around even without the battery inserted without losing my workplace.