PDA

View Full Version : WLAN (Broadcom 802.11ac) won't connect

Sereiya
07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Having trouble with my new G750, it refuses to connect to anything via WLAN.
With the preinstalled standard drivers he is able to catch the SSIDs and establishing a "connection" to my Fritz!Box router. All the settings like IP, gateway etc. seems fine, but Windows reports a limited connection. I cannot use the connection, it's not even functioning to ping my router or anything else.
Then I tried the newest driver from asus.com. Even worse, I was completely unable to connect (He fails before asking for the password).
The older driver from asus.com made it simple. It just didn't found wireless networks anymore. In a last-ditch attempt I tried a win7 x64 driver, but as expected it didn't worked.

I tried to connect to my router and my android phone hosting a hotspot. Both worked with another device, but not with my G750.

I fear that I got just 'the' device with a broken wireless adapter. :(

Can anyone help me?

Greetings from germany,
Serry

Edit:
I just found an old thread here suggesting to deactivate the WLAN-n support. It's working with WLAN-g. But I don't buy a such expensive notebook to use an antiquated standard...some suggestions aside from "waiting for newer drivers"?

Pitcher@asus
07-18-2013, 03:46 AM
could you try set difference channel and access again, if still fail, i think you will sent to service or retailer to refound or repair.

RHaggard
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
I also was initially disappointed with my G75vw's Wi-Fi performance. Wherever I went communications were unreliable at best. Yesterday out of desperation I dove into the driver settings and noticed this little thing:

BSS Mode set to 802 11a/b/g Performance

Looking at the available options I found and tried

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

The results were highly gratifying. My home system suddenly went from an unreliable trial to sustained download at 24 Mbps. My work connection, which is shared and throttled, is a sustained 2.5 Mbps download.

Lesson from this: Just because you've got the latest fire breathing Wi-Fi card that might not mean that it will work all that well when attempting to utilizing the existing system. Make sure your card's drivers understand and are set to be compatible with the existing infrastructure.

hmscott
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I also was initially disappointed with my G75vw's Wi-Fi performance. Wherever I went communications were unreliable at best. Yesterday out of desperation I dove into the driver settings and noticed this little thing:

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

The results were highly gratifying. My home system suddenly went from an unreliable trial to sustained download at 24 Mbps. My work connection, which is shared and throttled, is a sustained 2.5 Mbps download.

Lesson from this: Just because you've got the latest fire breathing Wi-Fi card that might not mean that it will work all that well when attempting to utilizing the existing system. Make sure your card's drivers understand and are set to be compatible with the existing infrastructure.

Nice find for your Wireless adapter, which one is it? Make/Model?

The G750JX-RB71 I have has a Broadcom 802.11ac BCM4352. It doesn't have any BSS settings that set 802.11 network types, but it does have IBSS settings, so I changed it for a time when I need an ad hoc network , Thanks :)

The Band Preference option only lets you choose between 802.11a and 802.11b/g, 802.11n settings are separate.

RHaggard
10-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Glad it did some good for you. It worked for a little while for me but things have deteriorated a bit. Same basic problem. When that happens I play around with the settings and it seems to help for a little while but I'm hampered by the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm a programmer not a Wi-Fi guy. It seems like you have a good understanding on things Wi-Fi.

hmscott
10-10-2013, 04:49 AM
Glad it did some good for you. It worked for a little while for me but things have deteriorated a bit. Same basic problem. When that happens I play around with the settings and it seems to help for a little while but I'm hampered by the fact that I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm a programmer not a Wi-Fi guy. It seems like you have a good understanding on things Wi-Fi.

If WiFi is normally working ok, and then not, there must be a reason - either flaky router/wireless card or another influence like a noisy router too close to your routers center channel.

Did you look at the Wifi landscape of your location with a program like inSSIDer for Windows, or WiFi Analyzer for Andriod?

While things are working ok, see how close other Routers/AP's are from your router/AP, and when things go wonky see if another Router or AP fired up closer to you. Try to pick a frequency/channel center that is away from the other transmitters.

It could also be that your router is overheating and cutting out - I Have a Netgear WNDR3700 with a 2.4ghz radio that went flakey after 2 years of use - now only the 5Ghz side works.

Turning down the transmit power helps - only run as hot/power as needed to maintain connection reliably to extend the lifetime of the router.

Fuchs
10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

802.11a/b/g/n Auto

I have Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac network adapter in my G750JW and notice that I have 9.93/0.86 Mb/s in my old notebook and in my handy and only 1.96/0.59 Mb/s in my G750JW:(
Thanks to your post I've also decided to change settings in my network adapter. Your settings unfortunately didn't help me. In Internet I've found no solutions. Comparing the configuration of the network card I've found that it was necessary to change only one parameter:

WMM set to Disabled

and I have again my speed:cool:

Setting Advanced Properties: Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter User Guide (http://chasms.com/wireless_utilities/broadcom/props.htm)

hmscott
10-20-2013, 10:02 PM
I have Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac network adapter in my G750JW and notice that I have 9.93/0.86 Mb/s in my old notebook and in my handy and only 1.96/0.59 Mb/s in my G750JW:(
Thanks to your post I've also decided to change settings in my network adapter. Your settings unfortunately didn't help me. In Internet I've found no solutions. Comparing the configuration of the network card I've found that it was necessary to change only one parameter:

WMM set to Disabled

and I have again my speed:cool:

Setting Advanced Properties: Broadcom Wireless LAN Adapter User Guide (http://chasms.com/wireless_utilities/broadcom/props.htm)

Fuchs, there must have been something else you have done to fix the throughput problem :)

WMM only lets a client enter power save mode, it won't affect transfer speed when the client is awake. I "Enabled" WMM (it was on "Auto") on my Broadcom 802.11ac adapter (G750JX) and did a speed test, and I am getting the same transfer rates down/up

What make/model of router do you have? What are the wireless settings base/advanced? Have you changed any other Broadcom 802.11ac settings? What is the connection status as seen from the laptop (right click on Broadcom wireless adapter, Status). I am connected to a dlink dir-655 at 802.11n 300mbps.

Use a program like inSSIDer for Windows/Android (or Wifi Analyzer for Android) to see if someone close by has a signal that is interfering with your signal. You can move the center frequency of your router to avoid other routers/AP's
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

Fuchs
10-21-2013, 03:24 PM
hmscott, I've made a little test...
I've changed only this option (WMM).

So... WMM is Auto and WMM is Disabled
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3047553498.png http://www.speedtest.net/result/3047556206.png

I don't know why but this is a fact. Maybe my modem(FRITZ!Box 7330 SL) process not correct field QoS or something else but another my notebook with "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" network adapter with option "Ad Hoc QoS Mode" and value "WMM Enabled" has the same speed.:eek:
So I think that my network adapter has a real defect. Actually I was lucky that I found dependence this option with speed on my network adapter, otherwise I'd have gone to change this laptop. Perhaps it is necessary to do. :(

Some details for u about my system (Windows 8, Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.233.99):

and my network

P.S. I cann't change frequency in my modem - only 2.4 GHz, I treid to change channel but it didn't help me)

Junwalker
10-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Hi,

I got a same problem on my G750 JW, when I use steam to download Total War, the highest speed I can hit is 2 MB/S, but the lowest one is 0, the speed is up and down, but my roommate's ace laptop has a good download speed about 1.4MB/s on steam. After I disable WMM, my download speed is about 600kb/s, and never hit 0 again. Do you guys have any idea for me to fix the problem? or I just to change another one in BestBuy.

Thank you !!!

hmscott
10-22-2013, 05:20 AM
hmscott, I've made a little test...
I've changed only this option (WMM).

So... WMM is Auto and WMM is Disabled
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3047553498.png http://www.speedtest.net/result/3047556206.png

I don't know why but this is a fact. Maybe my modem(FRITZ!Box 7330 SL) process not correct field QoS or something else but another my notebook with "Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG" network adapter with option "Ad Hoc QoS Mode" and value "WMM Enabled" has the same speed.:eek:
So I think that my network adapter has a real defect. Actually I was lucky that I found dependence this option with speed on my network adapter, otherwise I'd have gone to change this laptop. Perhaps it is necessary to do. :(

Some details for u about my system (Windows 8, Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.233.99):

and my network

P.S. I cann't change frequency in my modem - only 2.4 GHz, I treid to change channel but it didn't help me)

In reverse order.

Step 6 here shows how to enable manual setting of the center channel:
http://service.avm.de/support/en/skb/FRITZ-Box-7390-int/529:Wireless-connection-to-FRITZ-Box-drops-frequently

Fritzbox 7330 SL is you, and you are co-habitating on channels 5 and 1 with Fritzbox 7312... not really any better choices, what with the guys on 11, and 9. The best you could do would be to find the location where Fritzbox 7330SL would be the furthest from the physical location of Fritzbox 7312 to reduce interference.

fuchs, you disabled WMM on both the router and in the Broadcom 802.11ac Properties=>Configure=>Advanced, or just one or the other?

I had only Enabled/Auto'd the setting on the Broadcom settings. I didn't touch the WMM setting on my router.

Just now I disabled WMM on the Broadcom settings, and I couldn't connect to my router that has WMM enabled. And, (while on ethernet) I set the router WMM unchecked/off, and I also couldn't connect.

Wow, there is something odd with the interaction between my dlink and WMM setting with the Broadcom 802.11ac card...my router must have WMM enabled for the Broadcom adapater to connect - and the WMM setting on the Broadcom card needs to be either Enabled or Auto.

Is your Fritzbox WMM enabled? You might try the combinations of enabled/disabled like I did to see what happens.

Also, I have a newer version of the driver for Windows 8.1 running, which might make my experience different than yours.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38627-When-will-the-Windows-8.1-Drivers-become-available&p=324799&viewfull=1#post324799

Fuchs
10-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Junwalker, try to make all that told hmscott or better try to change to another one(better with other network adapter):)

hmscott, thanks for the article (I forget about this site) but all this action is for cases when wireless connection drops frequently or have a low speed - it's a different case, not my. My FRITZ!Box is connected to Dslm (or other device eg Broadcom) with speed ~11,6 Mbit/s and uTorrent can download with the same value(when WMM is disabled of course :)).

I've disabled WMM only in the Broadcom 802.11ac Properties. There is WMM option (http://help.avm.de/fritzbox.php?oem=avm&hardware=94&language=de&set=006&topic=hilfe_wlan_allgemein&deviceFeatures=10010011111101010110111101101111000 110011&userSettings=0100) in FRITZ!Box but not in my. Maybe there is no WMM option in this model - FRITZ!Box 7330(I have actual firmware).

I thought that my network adapter has a defect, but after your story and story of Junwalker there are 2 version: defects with some of this network adapters and problem with driver(not correctly realized processing of this field).

I've tried to install the newest driver (it was 6.30.223.143) but I had error message "Error "Update.cpp 1186"", Setup cannot continue.". So I must wait.

Junwalker
10-23-2013, 02:20 AM
Hi Fuchs, after upgrading my wireless driver from low level to 6.30.223.64, my download speed is good ( about 1.8mb/s) now, WMM setting is auto, and IBSS is 802.11 a/b/g/n auto

hmscott
10-23-2013, 03:17 AM
I've tried to install the newest driver (it was 6.30.223.143) but I had error message "Error "Update.cpp 1186"", Setup cannot continue.". So I must wait.

Fuchs, you can try unzipping the driver package and use the Windows Device Manger to update from local files for the Broadcom device:

The Windows installer for the diver might not like the environment it wakes up in, so let Windows do the searching through the folder for what it wants for the update.

Fuchs
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM
hmscott, I've tried to do it like this but Windows decide that I've already "The best driver software for my device" installed:)
(I've extracted setup.exe and tried also... same result)

hmscott
10-24-2013, 05:00 AM
hmscott, I've tried to do it like this but Windows decide that I've already "The best driver software for my device" installed:)
(I've extracted setup.exe and tried also... same result)

Sorry to hear that, it must be a locale issue. When Asus releases the rest of the updates for the G750 series, we should get an updated Broadcom 802.11ac driver :)

Krebb
11-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Hi. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Anyone knows how to force the Broadcom 802.11ac to connect to AC ?
I got the RT-AC56U router, and my wifi adapter keeps connecting to 802.11n instead of 802.11ac.
Any ideas?

I have the 2,4 ghz broadcast SSID set to Skynet and the 5ghz is named Skynet 2.0.
My laptop and my iphone5 are connected to Skynet 2.0 and my PS3 (and my girls laptop) is connected to Skynet.
Everything works good, but it bothers me that my laptop won't connect through the AC protocol.

pro_983
11-17-2013, 10:16 AM
hello Krebb, i have the same issue with Broadcom 802.11ac, after upgrade my rog to windows 8.1 i had connectivity problem...

Duke of Alinor
11-17-2013, 03:59 PM
I have slow speed with my 750jx and 2wire ATT modem.
I have tried different drivers in 8.1 and then upgraded to Win7 which seems better. Still only 100K speeds but better than the 40 - 0 K 8.1 had.
I tried all suggestions here, turning off WMM, changing channels and moving the router. None helped 8.1.
I will try a 802.11ac router as soon as I have the money, but the problem might be the four cell phones and Obii talking on different bands against the laptop. My Gateway laptop is solid at 2Mb under Win7 with 802.11b.

ViljarWonka
11-18-2013, 05:56 PM
I seem to be having connectivity issues with the Qualcom Atheros AR9485WB-EG.
The card keeps disconnecting from my network, so I have to reconnect manually.
I also am missing all of the options is the "advanced" tab on the Device Manager. I have tried updating drivers, but of no avail.
Does anyone have anything to contribute with?
As I am stuck, all help is good help.

Fuchs
11-19-2013, 12:18 PM
ViljarWonka,
it has been needed more info. Is this case like this theme (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?40137-Frequent-WiFi-disconnection-with-Atheros-Driver-10.0.0.263&country=&status=)?
Read this (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-networking/qualcomm-atheros-ar9485wb-eg-wireless-network/1c5a398d-2297-430c-b815-883fd492cb07) discussion - I hope it help you.

ViljarWonka
11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
I've tried reverting, yes, but then I have TERRIBLE speed. I seem to get disconnected form the servers because of too high ping.
Also, I still have very limited options in the advanced tab on the card.

Fuchs
11-19-2013, 04:30 PM
ViljarWonka,
you can try this drivers (http://www.addfiles.ru/load/drivers/atheros_wi_fi_802_11_driver/qualcomm_atheros_wifi_drivers_v_10_0_0_268_32_64_b it_drajvera_dlja_besprovodnykh_setej_wi_fi_pod_win _7_win_8_win_xp/92-1-0-1908) or you schould wait a newer one...

mixu1971
03-18-2014, 03:56 AM
I had the same problem until yesterday. With my old router didn't work. Was disconencting me every 5minutes or every 50 minutes. I SO I bought a cisco router much faster than my old Linksys . New one has 450 mb/s wireless and is working without any onther problems. So don't waite time to look for drivers. Is all about the compatibility between old tech and new.

hmscott
03-19-2014, 06:03 AM
I had the same problem until yesterday. With my old router didn't work. Was disconencting me every 5minutes or every 50 minutes. I SO I bought a cisco router much faster than my old Linksys . New one has 450 mb/s wireless and is working without any onther problems. So don't waite time to look for drivers. Is all about the compatibility between old tech and new.

Both are true. :)

Newest drivers are important whether you have a brand new tech router, or an old one. My 5 year old Dlink DIR-655 worked great with the G750JW/JX/JH, but when drivers were out of date - like at the Windows 8.1 upgrade - updated drivers helped performance/reliability.

Sane for my new Asus RT-AC68U, it's performance sucked on the firmware it came with, updated to the latest firmware on the Asus website, and it was a solid performer.

So, it all depends. Update your Windows drivers, update your firmware, and if it still doesn't work - with an old Wireless router - try getting a new one before giving up on the G750.

thesting
03-27-2014, 12:15 AM
My Broadcomm WLAN kept disconnecting me. :mad: Working now with basic Windows drivers.

hmscott
03-27-2014, 04:20 AM
My Broadcomm WLAN kept disconnecting me. :mad: Working now with basic Windows drivers.

thesting, there are newer drivers out now from Asus, posted under the new G750 models download areas:

All G750 Models:
http://support.asus.com/Search.aspx?SLanguage=en&keyword=g750&ps=10&pn=1

G750JM download area, where I got the drivers I needed:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JM&hashedid=hk9WNtlEOFPl0Q7s

Also now in the G750JZ area:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=G750JZ&hashedid=yql3Rpr80XDgQJbl

Anfet
04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Holy crap.

I had very very awfull connection only on G networks.
To fix this I enabled WMM on router and card. The speed immediately went to 300 MB/s from 54.

This is so huge and so unexpected.

hmscott
04-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Holy crap.

I had very very awfull connection only on G networks.
To fix this I enabled WMM on router and card. The speed immediately went to 300 MB/s from 54.

This is so huge and so unexpected.

Anfet, this has been discovered and explained elsewhere already. :)

Here is a good explanation from Netgear - a short article explaining the WMM requirement for High Throughput in 802.11n from 2009

Don't Mess With WMM!
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/30938-dont-mess-with-wmm

"...Basically, the 802.11n spec requires devices to support 802.11e (Quality of Service [QoS] enhancements for wireless LAN) in order to use HT (High Throughput) link rates, i.e. higher than 54 Mbps. (WMM is a subset of 802.11e that was created by the Wi-Fi Alliance as a stop-gap measure while 802.11e made its way slowly through the IEEE review process.) WMM's Traffic Identifier (TID) field is key to aggregation mechanisms, including block acknowledgement (block ACK), that enable 802.11n's high throughput rates.

Since WMM support is required for products to be certified for 802.11n, WMM comes enabled by default in all Wi-Fi Certified n APs and wireless routers. So even if you don't have any WMM-aware devices on your network, leave WMM enabled or you may find your clients connecting only at 54 Mbps rates."

Was WMM disabled in the Asus Broadcom driver? Or was it only disabled in your router? Maybe a router firmware update would enable WMM? You might check the vendor forums for your router.

Glad to hear you got it working :)