PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G750JX : Lag Game Performance when on Batteries

HeavenlyJunichi
07-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Dear ROG Brothers and Sisters,

I just bought the G750JX.
I noticed incredible significant game performance drop when the unit is running on batteries.
The game performance became good when I plug in the charging.

I use the FFXIV latest benchmark initially to try.
On Batteries: The score is extremely low (1000+).
On Charging: It scores 4800.

Then during running of the benchmark, I plug in and out the power cable.
Again, when plug in the cable, the score counting became much faster.

Here's what I've checked:
1. Use the ASUS update utility to check and update for latest version - Done.
2. Select "Battery Power Options" to Power4Gear High Performance - Done.
3. Video driver latest version - Done.
4. Running on Windows 8 64bit. Update to latest revision. - Done.

Appreciate the help if anyone could further diagnose this issue.

Thanks.
Chris.

Darknal
07-20-2013, 09:03 AM
This occurs on many laptops in general to preserve battery life because if your laptop were to go full load on the battery itself I can imagine only about 15min to 30 max battery life.

The Thing
07-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Hiya all,

What I've noticed is that when I'm on battery the proc underclocks at 1,10 ghz but I managed to get it back to 2,40 ghz and from 4h on battery I have now 3h and 30 min..I think thats good knowing it runs better, Anyways, I found out that when you are on battery, the gfx card (gtx770m here) goes off and the system recognize only the intregrated gfx which is ****ty. I've managed to get NFSMW at 20 fps on high setts with this gfx, I think is pretty impressive for such a gfx. Well, I guess we need to play like this when we're moving :D.

The Thing
07-20-2013, 09:43 AM
Hiya all,

What I've noticed is that when I'm on battery the proc underclocks at 1,10 ghz but I managed to get it back to 2,40 ghz and from 4h on battery I have now 3h and 30 min..I think thats good knowing it runs better, Anyways, I found out that when you are on battery, the gfx card (gtx770m here) goes off and the system recognize only the intregrated gfx which is ****ty. I've managed to get NFSMW at 20 fps on high setts with this gfx, I think is pretty impressive for such a gfx. Well, I guess we need to play like this when we're moving :D.

Myk SilentShadow
07-20-2013, 12:22 PM
The real problem is when you are on battery, the CPU speed dropx to 800 MHz.! Causing extreme lag in game play

ASUS needs to come up with a new BIOS ASAP to fix this

Why? ALL laptops throttle back when they're run on battery, it's called power saving measures. No need for a new BIOS when it's something that cannot be controlled....except for keeping the laptop plugged in when doing intensive tasks.

Myk SilentShadow
07-20-2013, 01:10 PM
No need to be rude mate, I never said you played games now did I?

Anvirol
07-20-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah.. I tried to get some 3D-modeling done on battery, but it was extremely slow on 800MHz CPU. I was using High Performance profile on powergear. I'll try uninstalling it next time.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-20-2013, 07:18 PM
They should have a fix for the CPU on battery. I also think they could squeeze a bit on the GFX on battery too.

olounda
07-20-2013, 09:00 PM
I had a similar issue with my old g74. The problem lies with the battery. When you are plugged in, the machine can easily pull the amount of power it needs right from the line, easy beans. When you unplug, even though you set your cpu, and gpu to maximum, the battery cannot push the sustained voltage required to run at those settings. No, its not a matter of getting a better/higher capacity battery, its a matter of voltages. The battery just plain cant keep up. (all this info was pulled from the g74 forums...)

Anvirol
07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I really hope you are wrong. Even my old Lenovo X220 is faster than this when on battery.. I undervolted my CPU by, 60mV, but it wont increase clock speed from 800MHz.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-24-2013, 11:38 PM
This is a serious issue. Someone needs to unlock the bios, or have asus make a fixed bios.

Shawnnepc
07-25-2013, 12:18 AM
This is working as intended.

The battery doesn't provide enough power to run the laptop at full load for a reasonable period of time.

It has been this way with most NVIDIA GPU based laptops for quite some time now.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-25-2013, 12:37 AM
The battery has to provide enough power for more than 800 mhz...that is sort of terrible.

Shawnnepc
07-25-2013, 12:44 AM
The battery has to provide enough power for more than 800 mhz...that is sort of terrible.

Most desktop replacement laptops are not geared for GPU use on battery.

Kinda lame, but we need better battery tech to remedy this issue

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-25-2013, 01:56 AM
Most desktop replacement laptops are not geared for GPU use on battery.

Kinda lame, but we need better battery tech to remedy this issue

Na, i am talking about the CPU. The CPU limits to 800 mhz while on battery.

zalbard
07-25-2013, 11:16 PM
If they absolutely have to sacrifice something because battery cannot provide enough wattage, they should 1) limit screen brightness to 50% and 2) slightly downclock & downvolt GPU (GPU Boost 2.0 should provide enough tools for that).

800MHz is really terrible and is in fact is very noticeable not just for gaming, but for pretty much any usage patterns, even light work which is actually most likely to occur when laptop is not plugged in. With Haswell being so power-efficient, they should be easily able to squeeze out at least 1600Mhz.

Also, the battery is not THAT weak.

Waiting for a BIOS fix.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-26-2013, 02:09 AM
If they absolutely have to sacrifice something because battery cannot provide enough wattage, they should 1) limit screen brightness to 50% and 2) slightly downclock & downvolt GPU (GPU Boost 2.0 should provide enough tools for that).

800MHz is really terrible and is in fact is very noticeable not just for gaming, but for pretty much any usage patterns, even light work which is actually most likely to occur when laptop is not plugged in. With Haswell being so power-efficient, they should be easily able to squeeze out at least 1600Mhz.

Also, the battery is not THAT weak.

Waiting for a BIOS fix.

Yea. Honestly i think it could run the CPU Full speed.

Anvirol
07-26-2013, 08:12 AM
They could set nVidia graphics card to work at 2D speeds on battery, then there should be no problem to run the CPU at normal clocks. I would really like to hear that Asus is working on a solution.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-26-2013, 03:11 PM
They could set nVidia graphics card to work at 2D speeds on battery, then there should be no problem to run the CPU at normal clocks. I would really like to hear that Asus is working on a solution.

We probably wont hear, until we get an English rep on this forum...

zalbard
07-26-2013, 05:51 PM
We probably wont hear, until we get an English rep on this forum...
Should be able to afford one given the price of these laptops.

Shawnnepc
07-26-2013, 08:00 PM
There's a few English speaking ASUS reps on the forums.

Marshall@ASUS
CL-Albert

Just to name a few...

They haven't replied either because they don't know the answer or are busy assisting other customers with the numerous other threads on this forum.

As myself and other posters have stated prior, this is an issue that isn't exclusive to ASUS and has occurred on most if not all higher end NVIDIA laptops for the past few generations.

I don't think it can be fixed and is likely intentionally done due to the power draw with these high-end machines

Pitchblack
08-05-2013, 12:00 PM
you are EXTREMELY wrong! Don't go spreading misinformation to the members!
The G750 Laptops have NO integrated graphics chipset other than the GeForce GTX!

Wrong! The Intel Core i7-4700HQ has an Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the CPU die. It seems it's just has been disabled by ASUS. This was probably done via software/bios so I guess Asus is able to activate that if they want.

zalbard
08-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Wrong! The Intel Core i7-4700HQ has an Intel® HD Graphics 4600 on the CPU die. It seems it's just has been disabled by ASUS. This was probably done via software/bios so I guess Asus is able to activate that if they want.
It's just physically not connected to the screen. So it's as good as gone.