PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

The Thing
07-20-2013, 09:05 AM
I have a little question: how can I make my laptop (jx version) run games at full power on battery? I am atm in my car and I kinda want to play some Bioshock Infinite/Crysis but it lags like hell... . Btw when plugged in I can run Bioshock at ultra setts at constant 60 fps and I hit once 110 fps. I've seen on Tomshardware that you can make your laptop to run at full speed on battery but that includes a bios change or smthing. I know that by doing this it's very risky but meh, I kinda want to play games on the go :D.

Anyways, have fun and good luck at oc'ing ur rigs:D

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Myk, no need to be rude. Maybe someone else is driving. Battery isn't everything you know.

hmscott
07-21-2013, 02:52 PM
ThrottleStop isn't Haswell friendly yet; but looks like it is coming in beta form soon:
http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-realtemp-discussion/3148-throttlestop-5-10-beta-2-discussion-3.html#post57863

well until ASUS comes up with a BIOS update to prevent the CPU from downclocking to 800 Mhz. while on battery power. you can try using a utility called Throttle Stop (google it)

The Thing
07-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Dude, what's your No swear words on the forum, thank you. problem? I just asked, I was just curious that's all. That's why forums exist mate....

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Hey The Thing, let me know if you find a fix. I've been looking into this as well.

Natalia
12-08-2013, 05:41 AM
My computer lags without the charger, not only when I'm playing games but also when I'm using less demanding programs like Photoshop CS6, is this really supposed to happen? I mean my older laptop lagged LESS than this one, and comparing the specs the other one sucks in comparison....

hmscott
12-09-2013, 01:41 AM
My computer lags without the charger, not only when I'm playing games but also when I'm using less demanding programs like Photoshop CS6, is this really supposed to happen? I mean my older laptop lagged LESS than this one, and comparing the specs the other one sucks in comparison....

Natalia, the lag is due to the GPU not running at full speed on battery. If you updated to the latest BIOS for your G750, then you have the CPU battery fix - allowing full speed CPU usage on battery.

Asus made a trade off with this laptop, only implementing the discrete Nvidia high power GPU, and disabled (didn't wire it at all) the Intel "built-in" GPU.

Asus hasn't given an official reason that I have seen (anyone?), but it is assumed that they wanted to save us from the hell others have trying to force the discrete GPU to work, when the automatic switching doesn't work as expected.

I hope in the next iteration both Intel and Asus figure out how to make it work automatically/manually so that we can get better GPU performance on battery. A simple app to force the GPU selection the way we want it to work when we want it might be enough, but there may have been performance / design problems that caused Asus to make the radical decision to not use the Intel GPU at all.