PDA

View Full Version : 1.1 cannot write to directory

maximiza
07-20-2013, 09:17 PM
what am i doing wrong, i redownloaded, but it will not work no matter what drive i try to launch from. 1.1 version

KPRage
07-21-2013, 03:11 AM
Open it as admin mate.. Right click and, choose Run as administrator..:) This can be the only cause why it doesn't have write access.. Oh and, disable your anti-virus too.. My KaspersKey tells RB is a virus and won't let me run it! :)

Oh and, see if you can change the permissions for this file..

Cheers,
KP

Nodens
07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Windows user account must have write access to the path you extract RB to. Also some directories are treated specially in Windows (eg Program Files and Program Files (x86)) and you can never have write access under them unless you are running with elevated rights (as admin).

maximiza
07-22-2013, 04:41 PM
i am stumped, i went down to advanced properties security tab and made sure write previlagies are allowed everywhere. it is still not working off desktop. The first one worked fine i do not know why there would be such a difference in 1.1. i am researching Win 8 more now. i do not have an antivirus in win 8

HiVizMan
07-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Place the download folder on your desktop and run from there.

maximiza
07-22-2013, 06:43 PM
yes i have been unzipping to desktop.

Nodens
07-22-2013, 07:26 PM
There is absolutely no difference between versions in regards to permissions needed. Something changed on your system, not on RB versions. RB checks if it can write in the "Output" subdirectory which is where all subprograms write to. If it can't, it prints that message.

Does this happen if you run it as admin? If yes then there's something installed that prevents RB from writing or file system is corrupted. If it doesn't happen as admin, it means permissions for the Desktop directory or the user in general are messed up (could also be file system corruption).

Zka17
07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Place the download folder on your desktop and run from there.

Is that better or to have the RB folder on the C: directly?

Nodens
07-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Doesn't matter as long as your Windows user has write access. By default it should have write access on both the Desktop directory and anywhere top level on C:
If it doesn't it will throw that error and complain but that means there's something wrong with the system.

If you mean performance wise, it also doesn't matter.

Zka17
07-23-2013, 02:50 PM
OK, thanks Nodens!

WebMaximus
09-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Sorry to wake up an old thread but I have the very same problem. Just downloaded RealBench and no matter in what folder I put it I will get this message that RealBench does not have write access in this directory.

I'm running Win7 x64 Ultimate, my user account is within the Administrators group, I've tried putting the RealBench folder in several different locations and I've tried running RealBench as Administrator by right-clicking and chose 'Run As Administrator' but regardless what I do it won't work.

Any ideas....?

HiVizMan
09-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Here is what I would do. Download again and just extract the entire archive to the desktop. Leave it there, open the application from the desktop as normal user.

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Here is what I would do. Download again and just extract the entire archive to the desktop. Leave it there, open the application from the desktop as normal user.

Just tried this but still same thing I'm afraid.

I've installed LOTS of applications by now both normal apps such as games, video editing software etc but also other benchmark tools such as Cinebench, OCCT, CPUz and Aida64 without any issues so seems to be something very special with this software...?

Nodens
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
1) Are there any non-Latin characters in RB's path? (Like accented, greek, mandarin, japanese etc etc)

2) Do you have any security software installed? If yes, which one is it and did you try disabling it prior to running RB? (Security software may prevent RB from writting where it needs to if they get a false positive).

3) Please list the exact full paths from the locations you tried to place it. (For example: "C:\RealBench", "C:\Program Files\RealBench", "C:\しろい\RealBench", etc etc.

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your reply!

1. No non-Latin characters in the path

2. I'm using Avast! but I've already tried disabling it but still same problem

3. I've tried extracting and running RB from the following locations but still no difference, always get the error RB doesn't have write access

C:\Users\Richard\Desktop\RealBench
C:\RealBench
D:\RealBench

HiVizMan
10-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Nodens I wonder if WebMaximus has the Swedish fonts? That will not work with RB.

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, I am in Sweden and I've set Windows 7 to use Swedish format but Windows in itself is the English version.

Not sure what exactly you mean by 'Swedish fonts' but if you let me know what to change I could give it a try.

Nodens
10-02-2013, 05:24 PM
C:\RealBench should work anyhow since it doesn't have any other chars in the path. Try extracting to that and try copying a file under C:\RealBench\Output See if Windows allows you to do that or throws any kind of error.

On a last note, are you typing the folders name yourself ("RealBench") or just extracting the folder as it is fromt the rar file?

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 06:57 PM
Problem solved :-)

After reading your last reply I realized I didn't have a subfolder called 'Output' in the RealBench folder so I simply created that folder manually and after this the program starts up just fine!

Nodens
10-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Weird..that folder should be there if you extract the rar archive directly heh. I wonder if you have other missing folders as well..

But it makes sense because this is where RB writes all the files it needs during the tests. But if "Output" was missing maybe other things are missing as well and that will cause RB to malfunction :/

As a sidenote: What software did you use to extract the archive?

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Tried the stress test which went just fine but guess you're right something still isn't correct with my "installation" of RB because when I tried the other tests RB hang and nothing happened.

Never mind, I have lots of other tools I can use to test the stability of my computer and fact is I'm pretty much done and ended up @ 4.6 GHz with my 4770K. Would have been great to reach 4.8 or so but I'm still quite pleased with this clock and I rather go a little bit lower with great temps and a reasonable voltage rather than trying to squeeze out another 1-200 MHz and instead be worried about temps and voltage.

So...now it's time to have some real fun with my new system instead and go flying in FSX rather than just clocking and testing for stability ;)

Feels great though to have gone through all this testing assuring the system is stable!

Nodens
10-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Could you please let me know what tool you used to extract the .rar archive? I'm more interested in knowing if there's a certain tool out there that misbehaves, in case another user has the same issue again.

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 09:47 PM
You're really spot on!

First I used WinZip ver 11.2 but now I tried extracting the file using WinRar ver 3.62 instead and now the Output folder was created and also the other tests seem to work. Just tried the Image Editing test and received a score? of 579...is that any good?

Nodens
10-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Hmr I'll check WinZip 11.2 out. Maybe it has some weird default option.

Regarding the scores you may want to check the Leaderboard thread and compare with other systems:)

WebMaximus
10-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Just found the leaderboard thread and looks like my total system score of 743 is far from the best but not too bad either :)

Thanks for your help solving this issue!

HiVizMan
10-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Nodens why would the method of folder extraction be an issue? Not sure I understand...

Nodens
10-03-2013, 08:35 AM
I can only think of three possible options mate:

1) That WinZip version could have an option of not extracting subdirectories enabled by default.
2) Particular Winzip version could have a bug with extraction of rar format archives (perhaps only affecting a archives made with a particular version of WinRAR (I have seen this before).
3) WebMaximus could have enabled an option of not extracting subdirectories accidentally..

Of course there's also the possibility of system instability causing a "garbled" extraction.. I can't say for sure until I examine WinZip 11.2's options and how it treats the rar archive:)

maximiza
03-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Webmaximus thank you, after months I came back here because I was planning to waterblock my video cards, I am glad the solution was found, nodens I use a program called winpacker, its free in app store, never encountered this issue before

Nodens
03-01-2014, 04:55 PM
Check if that program has an option set by default not to extract empty directories.

domzkie
03-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Hi guyz, I just bought a laptop ASUS G55VW. I have followed the email trails but still having error indicating that no access to directory. Anybody can advise the next step?

domzkie
03-02-2014, 12:53 AM
I also have noticed that the selection is in gray. :

maximiza
03-02-2014, 03:46 AM
Check if that program has an option set by default not to extract empty directories.

there is no options for nothing, hehehehe

Nodens
03-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Bad program heh:) Anyhow v2 is in zip archive now so you can just open it with file explorer and copy paste:)