PDA

View Full Version : Still experiencing the screen lines.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 03:05 AM
Yes I do have splendid utility and I did install the color patch that was released. It seemed to fix it, but then I began noticing the screen lines in different colors than just the dark areas. I began seeing them in reds when i use the forum page, and in some blues. Heres a screen shot

The Laptop I have is the Asus G750JW with GTX 765m 8G Ram 4700MQ i7, which is the version from best buy.

I am also using the driver 9.18.13.2619 I have tried rolling back to what the laptop came with and I still had the same screen results.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 05:05 AM

Here are a couple more.

You can see it in the gray panels in the FireFall menus and on the character when standing in lower light areas.

I'm not sure if this really is a driver issue and not juts a screen issue with the models from best buy. I'm considering just returning it since its only been a week in their two week return policy and either waiting to buy a model from a different retailer that doesn't have this issue, or buy the JX.

Pitcher@asus
07-22-2013, 06:14 AM
you mean you install GPU new driver, it is happen, but now even you flash back old driver version still happen? are you sure you LCD have not damage?

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 06:26 AM
No I just bought this laptop a week ago and upon unboxing noticed the horizontal lines that everyone else who has the JW model has noticed, or at least most of them in this thread. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33760-Bad-displays-horizontal-lines-issue&highlight=Screen+lines

If my screen is damaged then that means there are a lot of damaged screens out there...

I'm hoping this is a driver issue and not a LCD issue because otherwise I will be returning it.

The horizontal lines are evident even on the older drivers is what I was saying, and that even by updating to the latest it doesn't really help the display.

I installed the latest driver, and updated the splendid color patch that was released on the 2nd, and still had them in lowlight/dark areas and in pictures and videos.

rewben
07-22-2013, 09:35 AM
i think it's really a physical thing (of the display panel). i cannot find anything unusual when i looked at the screenshots.

Flea0
07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm looking at these screenshots from an ipad and I cannot see anything unusual whatsoever, which should be expected if it's an issue with the screen being unable to reproduce colors correctly...taking a screenshot it still going to copy the screen as it SHOULD look

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Ahh. Ill take a physical picture of it if I dont return it today

hmscott
07-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Warchylde, you can try increasing the refresh rate in the Nvidia Control Panel -using the Customize button under the resolution list in the setting resolution section - say from the default of 60hz to 85hz-100hz, mine is stable at 100hz - colors break up at 120hz and occasionally at 110hz.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Hmm I did try going from 60 to 70. Ill give that a try. However when I used a tv via hdmi the lines were not present so im thinking its an lcd issue

hmscott
07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
Warchylde, the refresh rates are controlled individually. It is the refresh rate of the LCD to increase, not the external monitor refresh rate. Mine runs clean up to 100hz, you might try stepping up 5hz or 10hz at a time, or jump to 100hz, if it doesn't sync up wait for 15 seconds and it will drop back to the previous setting if you don't click Ok to keep the change active.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh I know that. What im saying is that the color is perfect on the external which is at 60mhz but the laptop display is not. Ill try bumping it up higher when I get home

hmscott
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Warchylde, cool. :)

And, IDK if you have seen this suggestion, but I uninstall the Asus Splendid software (and reboot) as I don't like the color tinting it provides.

When I first used Splendid on my G2s it seemed fine, but after later updates I uninstalled Splendid and have continued to remove it first thing on my new Asus laptops. I like the default color of the LCD - I sometimes use the PowerDVD Theatre mode on some videos, otherwise the LCD looks fine to me without adjustment. I have played around with the Nvidia control panel settings too on other laptops / LCD's, but haven't so far on the G750, I like it as is.

With Splendid installed the G750 the screen looks like it has a yellow cast to it, brightness drops, and it gets worse from there trying to adjust the color, for me anyway.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Alright went to BB. They said it may be because the screen is an LCD. They said I could replace the laptop for one that they will be getting in in a few days and if the quality is still not to my liking then i can also just get a refund.

Im also debating buying a replacement LCD screen that is glossy and not matte and see if that will make a difference either..

hmscott
07-22-2013, 10:46 PM
BestBuy is great about returns. :)

I thought I would mention that there is also Display Calibration - Calibrate Color, in the Display Control Panel.

I went through the steps and found that I needed to reduce Gamma by quite a bit. Now blacks are even better, and colors are also deeper. IDK if it will positively affect the lines issue, but it might be worth a try.

After Color Calibrate it feeds you into ClearType setup, which changed after reducing the Gamma.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 10:50 PM
If you dont mind me asking, which model do you have hmscott?

hmscott
07-22-2013, 10:55 PM
The G750JW-DB71, with a Chi Mei 173HGE display.

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Hmm. So what all did you do? Because even if I try to increase the refresh rate to 100 or 110 without spendid im still getting very evident lines.

Im really considering just replacing the LCD and seeing if it makes a difference.

hmscott
07-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Adjusted the Refresh rate, reduced the Gamma, uninstalled Splendid, adjusted the Nvidia Control Panel color settings, and updated the driver to the current one in the G750JW/JH download area

You were going to post some photo's of the actual screen view of the lines vs. posting the screen shots which look fine to everyone without the screen lines.

Can you please post one or two photo's?

Hmm. So what all did you do? Because even if I try to increase the refresh rate to 100 or 110 without spendid im still getting very evident lines.

Im really considering just replacing the LCD and seeing if it makes a difference.

Here are my settings in the Nvidia Control panel - Adjust Desktop Color Settings

Warchylde
07-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Im heading back to the BB store to return it lol. Im not totally giving up on it, im going to order the DB71 version not the BB version from Newegg. From what I've been reading its only the BB version that has this issue. However if there is a restocking fee for my return then I will just buy an LCD. So ill be back in a few hours on an update.... and if I dont return it Ill post the screens.

hmscott
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Cool, if you kindly persist I think the BB Manager will not charge you a restocking fee. They were pretty cool when I swapped my Asus Transformer Prime a couple of times.

Warchylde
07-23-2013, 12:38 AM
They were cool about it. I returned it and got my full refund of 1367$ which is only 37$ cheapertthan the newegg price so ill update you guys when I get it if it has the same issue.

Gravitan
07-23-2013, 09:41 AM
http://i40.tinypic.com/n3vjwx.jpg

This is how my screen looks like, the lines + SUPER GRAINY picture is really what my screen looks like. I sent the whole thing back and I can just hope this is NOT how it usually looks. It was a CHIMEI (ID: CMO1720) panel and I have no idea how someone can put this into any laptop nowadays. When you move any bright solid colored window/something slowly over the screen, it looks like some dirty protective foil is still sitting ontop of the screen.

Sad panda :(

Thestroj
07-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Hello,

This is my first post on the forums, so ill be short.

I have an dual monitor setup. I have been using this monitor for quite some time, so im very confident that its not defected or anything.

Same as lot of u im getting "the lines" on our beloved G750's. I notice them only on gray shades. It pisses me off, especialy cause im an graphic designer and im forced to play wih colors alot.
!- For me it doesnt matter on what screen im looking, i see the lines on my 27 inch monitor too. -!

So could it be the GPU's fault? maybe the drivers?

I have deleted the Splendid crap and im using 326.19 drivers.
Stranges thing was that i couldnt not install the Splendid patch, when i tried i got an install error. Tried with multible downloads and installs.

Just my 2 cents.

Take care

D.

Warchylde
07-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Hmm. I did read somewhere that the 765m the reccomended display was 720p and not 1080p. I no longer have mine so i cant test it out (using a lower resolution). But when I used a second 32" monitor I didn't have any screen lines.

I've heard a few things like people switching to windows 7 prof (So they can use all ram and get windows 7) or replacing the LCD.

When I went to Best Buy they said that its just how LCD's are and I might just be being OCD until i explained when I hooked up my 32" LCD the picture was perfect.

If you don't want to mess with anything, what I found best is to play around with the Nvidia display settings and set the picture up nicely and unistall splendid and get the latest drivers, that seemed to make things a little bit better and I would only ever see them in very dark colors.