PDA

View Full Version : Asus G53SW will not power on with HDMI cable connected

Tommy
08-15-2011, 10:26 PM
I recently received my G53SW back from 3rd RMA. Everything works perfectly except the laptop will not boot up with the HDMI cable plug in. I have to disconnect the HDMI cable every time I need to power on my laptop. Anyone exp this issue from G53SW? A friend of mine told me it is normal because the SB Intel CPU has an integrated video card and the GF460M is being recognized as a secondary GPU so it won't work with HDMI cable connected. I really don't want to RMA my laptop again because it will be the 4th RMA:( and it is gonna take another month. Please help! I bought another HDMI cable and it doesn't work either. I tried the laptop on my TV and another LCD of mine.

xeromist
08-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Did this work differently before your RMA, or you only just noticed it now?

Tommy
08-15-2011, 10:57 PM
I just noticed it:( I have a G53JW attached to my LCD and i am about to retire him with a the G53SW so I really couldn't tell. like I said a few friends of mine said it is natural due to SB GPU but I really can't see the logic behind that. It works if I logged into windows and reattached the cable too but if I restart the PC, it woulnd't work. I will have to remove the HDMI cable.

Chastity@ASUS
08-16-2011, 03:02 AM
What BIOS are you running on that G53JW? I had one here doing HT duty, and was plugged in with a HDMI cable all the time, and booted without issue.

Tommy
08-16-2011, 03:50 AM
I have the latest bios for both laptops. The laptop doesn't boot either with VGA output.

xeromist
08-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Just to clarify, you can't even power on the laptop with an external connection, or you just don't get a picture?

Tommy
08-16-2011, 07:43 PM
I have found the solution! After working and testing the laptop for two days. I found out that if you use SSD. After you shut it down or restart the laptop, it will not work. The only solution is to remove the HDMI cable, power up the machine, Press F2 into the bios then press F10 to leave. It was very tricky and I am not the only one with this issue. 3 reviewers from newegg had the same issue. I think the issue has something to do with the Bios and it would be nice if Asus can address it. I hope Asus fix it with the next bios update.