PDA

View Full Version : HDD clicking?

Flea0
07-22-2013, 03:53 PM
my G750JX came with a 750 gb, 7200 rpm western digital WD7500 HDD. I added an SSD and now use the HDD as a data drive but every now and then, maybe once or twice a day, it makes a clicky, chirping sound as if it were suddenly and rather jerkily parking the heads. It's louder than any other sound I heard coming from a laptop drive...is this normal and due to some power saving measure?

hmscott
07-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Flea0, I ran into this problem when trying to use a longer than normal USB cable, I only had a printer length cable available, and got random problems with the drive until I could get a short cable - then the problems went away. Or, the drive might have a problem too. Did you run the drive internally for a while - did it make clicking sounds?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/197/~/wd-external-hard-drive-makes-a-repeated-clicking-sound

Flea0
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I am running the drive internally, it's in the second storage drive slot :(

hmscott
07-22-2013, 05:54 PM
Flea0, I removed my drive and put it in an external USB 3.0 case, to keep the heat load out of the laptop. Sorry, I assumed you did the same.

Without hearing it, it is a tough call as to whether it is bad or not. Is the S.M.A.R.T data reflecting errors?

Some drives sound noisy powering up, do you spin down the drive after N minutes, as set in the Power Plan?

If you don't think it sounds right, like it is a mechanical problem, you should file a TI with Asus - maybe Asus can RMA the drive and not the whole laptop :(

LLothar
07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I have the same clicking sound. Try going to power settings and set HDD power off at never - it is 20 minutes for performance mode. I still get this sound from time to time though.

I ran SMART diagnostics and they find the hard drive in perfect condition.

Flea0
07-22-2013, 08:02 PM
good idea, it was set at 20 minutes even in performance mode. I'll give that a try, hopefully the setting applies to BOTH hard disks.

LLothar
07-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Some extra googling suggest HDD APM (Advanced Power Management) - there are apps to turn it off and therefore disable the head parking - clicking noise.

hmscott
07-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Do you really want the drive spinning when it is idle, generating heat and drawing power?

Generally I set 3 minutes for plugged in and 1 minute for battery.

I have the ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB 1000.2GB drive, what is the model number of your drive?

Found a site describing the symptoms leading up to drive failures, and they even have recordings of the sounds to help identify the problem:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

http://datacent.com/datarecovery/hdd/western_digital/WD7500

Flea0
07-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't mind a couple watts of power draw, I access it often anyway and use it while plugged in with the battery removed.
the model number is WDC WD7500BPKT-80PK4T0
luckily none of those sounds is like the one my HDD does. it only clicks once, with a snapping sound.

hmscott
07-22-2013, 10:19 PM
LLothar, thanks for helping me remember, I used the Hitachi Data Tool to set APM on my Hitachi laptop drives permanently, and used hdparm under Linux to set it at boot time.

There is a Windows tool that has scripts to run at boot time to set the desired level of APM:

https://sites.google.com/site/disablehddapm/

http://disablehddapm.blogspot.com/2011/12/disabling-hard-disk-drive-advanced.html

Update: the hdparm tool works on drives on the IDE/SATA bus, but not to the disk in the usb enclosure

meankeys
07-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Did that solve your problem? Every time I had a hard drive clicking it was about to fail. I would backup your data now while you still can. Good luck. I hope it's not what has happen to me in the past. All western digital drives now that I am thinking about it.

Flea0
07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
eh, it just did that head-parking sound again a few minutes ago :/

hmscott
07-22-2013, 11:29 PM
eh, it just did that head-parking sound again a few minutes ago :/

Have you tried disabling APM?

Flea0
07-22-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm testing hdparm now

hmscott
07-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Flea0, CrystalDiskInfo has a feature to change the disk AAM/APM setting.

CrystalDiskInfo => Function => Advanced => AAM/APM Control

After I slid the control bars from Silent/MinPower to Performance and clicked Enable for both, I quit and restarted CrystalDiskInfo and checked to make sure the settings stayed set/changed, and they did.

I hope this works for your WD disk.

Flea0
07-22-2013, 11:53 PM
thanks! do the settings remain even after hibernating or restarting the pc?

hmscott
07-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Doing a quick performance check with CrystalDiskMark, but will do a reboot test after that... btw the disk is noisy after changing the settings to Performance - I actually heard the drive for the first time during the write tests.

Update: The settings persist through a reboot :)

Flea0
07-23-2013, 12:02 AM
odd, the AAM slider is greyed out for me, in fact it only says [APM] next to the drive name. I put the APM slider all the way to the right and enabled...aand it clicked.

hmscott
07-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Yup, some drives don't have AAM or don't allow you to disable it. Glad to hear the head parking click inducing one is there for you to override and set.

Is the annoying clicking sound gone? :)

odd, the AAM slider is greyed out for me, in fact it only says [APM] next to the drive name. I put the APM slider all the way to the right and enabled...aand it clicked.

Flea0
07-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Yup, some drives don't have AAM or don't allow you to disable it. Glad to hear the head parking click inducing one is there for you to override and set.

Is the annoying clicking sound gone? :)
nope, still clicks every now and then :( I'll go to sleep now and contact Asus about this and the loose corner tomorrow.

hmscott
07-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Did you reboot / power cycle the laptop (disk) after changing the APM setting?

Although the setting persisted through a reboot, it defaulted back to a mid-level APM setting after unplugging the drive from the USB 3.0 port the maintains power for charging when shutdown.

The WD drive might react differently to reboot / power cycle - check it out.

Also, when I set both sliders to maximum power savings the Seagate drive also started spinning down and spinning back up.

Flea0
07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
I ended up calling ASUS over this issue as well as the loose corner issue. I'll initiate RMA before I go on holidays so that hopefully it will be back when I return. Disappointed with asus build quality and WD noise at this point.
What is going to unbelievably annoying is taking out the ssd and restoring Windows on the original HDD before sending it in...

MariusRO
11-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem like you. My second hard disk is making the same sound described by you.
Can you please tell me how you resolved. Asus replaced that hard disk or they did something else for this problem?

soulmirror
11-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Same problem here, a click sound every now and then. I guess it's more common than you think.
Any news about a working solution?

Katya1602
11-21-2013, 10:05 AM
I use quietHDD ( https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/ )

For the settings, I put the APM to 255 and the AAM to 254 (max on both).

Then... no click... happy :-)

Flea0
11-21-2013, 11:46 AM
No amount of tweaking with the tools mentioned in this thread woud make the hdd shut up so I ended up replacing it with a larger, quieter 1tb 7200rpm drive, and put the clicky one in a portable enclosure, so I killed two birds with one stone.

Katya1602
11-21-2013, 12:07 PM
For me it resolved the "head parking sound". Maybe it was something else for you...

MatG
11-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Same problem here, a click sound every now and then. I guess it's more common than you think.
Any news about a working solution?

Damn..i'm not happy about this :-(

Will try all of the above before contacting ASUS.. it takes forever for them to return my G750JH

MariusRO
11-26-2013, 10:00 PM
At my laptop is making this noise randomly. I will try to find a hdd monitor software to see if this sound means that hdd head is in parked mode. I tried to find any feature in Bios, but i didn't find anything related to power saving on HDD.

chokko
12-03-2013, 01:56 AM
No amount of tweaking with the tools mentioned in this thread woud make the hdd shut up so I ended up replacing it with a larger, quieter 1tb 7200rpm drive, and put the clicky one in a portable enclosure, so I killed two birds with one stone.

which make/model did you go with ?

I am keen to replace my 1TB 5400, with a 7200 option (750GB or 1TB)

ta

silver87
12-12-2013, 06:56 PM
I have Asus G750jx and have exactly the same problem - random clicking sound of the disk. Tried to announce this on another topic, but I did not get much of help. I have 1TB Hitachi 5400 disk. I am wondering whether the clicking sound is problem with the disk itself, or maybe (I hope not) the motherboard controller or PCB connector. Can Asus address this issue ? I see, that I am not the only one here. This clicking sound is really annoying.

hmscott
12-12-2013, 08:12 PM
I have Asus G750jx and have exactly the same problem - random clicking sound of the disk. Tried to announce this on another topic, but I did not get much of help. I have 1TB Hitachi 5400 disk. I am wondering whether the clicking sound is problem with the disk itself, or maybe (I hope not) the motherboard controller or PCB connector. Can Asus address this issue ? I see, that I am not the only one here. This clicking sound is really annoying.

If you can't fix it by disabling APM/AAM with this tool, file an RMA with Asus to replace the drive.

QuietHDD
https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/Home

I use the systray tool to enable, then open the main dialog and set the sliders to 254/off/highest performance - Apply, and see if the noise goes away.

SSD's don't make noise - you could upgrade to an SSD and retire the HD. IDK if Asus makes you return the whole laptop, or if they will let you ship the drive alone.

You might get a reply from the Asus Admins, but it won't help for service, you need to register your laptop with support online, and file a Technical Inquiry.

https://account.asus.com/info.aspx