PDA

View Full Version : New G55, HD replaced where can i get the old partitions?

Session101
07-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Hello guys,

I just bought a used G55, the HD was replaced and a fresh copy of windows 7 installed and it came with the orignial ASUS ROG drivers CD, i see that it was supposed to have the extra recovery partitions but was not installed on the computer, what are my options?

is there anyway to make back and return the laptop back to stock?

can anyone make a copy that could share with me?

what should i do from here, i just want the laptop back to stock/factory

Clintlgm
07-22-2013, 10:23 PM
Well if your NB was originally win 7 I think you can get a DVD from Asus Store I think for around $50.

It sounds like you have a clean install of Win 7 and just the necessary drivers installed. This is optimal with out all the Bloat ware that original came from ASUS that should make you happy.

If you ever need to reinstall your can use this thread upgrade notes and guides (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28758-GUIDE-G55-G75-Upgrade-Notes&country=&status=) Its actually very simple with Win7 as you can down load the ISO for Win 7

Session101
07-22-2013, 11:07 PM
so is it worth it to pay $50 for the DVD or just stick with what i have? i have no clue what options i am missing by not having that partition

I have a windows 7 ultamate cd, so if its just for windows 7 recovery, i am not worried because i can either just try to fix it or just format and do a fresh install

so what am i missing out on by not having the partition?

Clintlgm
07-22-2013, 11:29 PM
Nothing at all, you can download all the drivers from the Asus download center for your model, all you need are the ATK package

Session101
07-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Nothing at all, you can download all the drivers from the Asus download center for your model, all you need are the ATK package

I have the orignial driver CD that came from ASUS already

it states: "Driver & Utility ver 2.0 G55VW"

I already installed all the drivers and then used ASUS live update, and installed those as well

is the ATK stuff already included in these or do i need to download that in addition?

rewben
07-23-2013, 01:23 AM
@Session101, factory state recovery partition offers you f9 recovery that can restore your system with stock windows, drivers, and bloatware. since you're more than capable of handling the laptop by yourself, all you need is the w7 install media plus the drivers, and forget about those bloatware (they sometimes do more harm more than good).

so, you don't miss a thing.

i like clean install because it's much faster. if you do the f9 recovery, it will take about 1 hour plus to complete, even with ssd. if you do the clean install route, it's like 10 minutes for OS install on ssd, and another 15 for minimal set of drivers to get things started.

Session101
07-23-2013, 05:10 AM
cool, thank you for the reply, glad i don't have to fork over $50 just for the option to just press the f9 key to restore the computer

cl-Albert
07-23-2013, 10:33 PM
cool, thank you for the reply, glad i don't have to fork over $50 just for the option to just press the f9 key to restore the computer

fyi. If you purchase those recovery disks from eStore, they will reinstall Windows 7 without the recovery partition, so you still will not get this, but as long as you can back up the image or have a way to reinstall Win7, it shouldn't really matter as others have mentioned.