PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen [solved]

Baigo
07-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Hey,

I updated the bios 2 months ago. Today I decided to change boot order to try something in a USB stick, but after restart the screen just went black.

Leds turn on, backlit keyboard turns on for a second too as usual, the DVD reader makes a noise as usual. Tried to open bios, but cant, nothing appears.

I bought the laptop in US, currently living in Argentina. Would be tough if I had to send it to support lol

Thanks, I officially own a big expensive brick.

Feedback is appreciated!

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 04:04 AM
This is not a "brick" but a fault in the UEFI boot settings block. Not to worry though as your system is still POSTing behind screen, as your backlit keyboard, front LEDs, etc are functional still during the process.

Simply power the G off, then power it back up and hold the ESC key for several seconds, then down arrow key once and press the Enter key.

This should correct the problem.

If not, because boot order was changed, try arrow down key twice and repeat the rest of the procedure above.

Post your results.

Baigo
07-23-2013, 04:25 AM
Dreamonic, thanks for trying to help. Just did what you suggested. Did both things, holding the ESC key the whole time and also just keeping it for a few seconds and repeating the arrow down enter procedure several times. No luck!

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 04:35 AM
You are not out of luck, there is still one more thing you can try. PM Sent.

Just to clarify, you let go of the ESC key when you down arrow and pressed enter, correct?

Basically what you are doing is calling up boot selection. If your display was working, Holding ESC key down during boot will display the boot selection order and from there you down/up arrow to your choice. You want to boot into the HDD, but since you changed the boot order around, it may be more than one or two arrow keys down.

This method has worked on a couple machines which had the same problem so far, so I just want to make sure it was done correctly is all.

Even if the HDD is not bootable, this should correct the display problem and BIOS displaying.

Also, remove your USB stick while doing this as the boot list order will be much longer since you will have 2 USB devices showing in that list, not one; The other is for UEFI.

Baigo
07-23-2013, 05:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4KJB74Gmao&feature=youtu.be

Thought I could record it with my cellphone... its not good quality but shows how it works after I turn it on.

About your suggestion, I think it's ESC, right, down, enter, down whatever... lol It should restart after, when changes are saved. That doesn't happen.

Blindflashing seems like the last option, any idea if there's a guide to it?

P.S. Tried to check if HDMI worked, no luck.

Thanks

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Thank you for the video!

I noticed that your front LEDs all go out except the power light, which after the keyboard lights up momentarily, is all that is left lit up. This goes to show that the UEFI boot settings get lost or corrupt after a BIOS update (in Windows) or after saving any setting in the BIOS afterwards.

Dreamonic
07-23-2013, 05:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4KJB74Gmao&feature=youtu.be

Thought I could record it with my cellphone... its not good quality but shows how it works after I turn it on.

About your suggestion, I think it's ESC, right, down, enter, down whatever... lol It should restart after, when changes are saved. That doesn't happen.

Blindflashing seems like the last option, any idea if there's a guide to it?

P.S. Tried to check if HDMI worked, no luck.

Thanks

The order is just hold ESC key down for several seconds after computer just begins to boot up, then release the ESC key and then arrow down key once, twice or even a third time if you tried the rest already and then press enter and it should work. This all depends on where the HDD is listed in the boot order. You'll have to try a few times.

Baigo
07-23-2013, 05:33 AM
No luck with that mate. :(

dstrakele
07-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Check out the last 4 pages of http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29307-Another-Briked-G75/page. Folks in this thread have encountered a similar issue after saving changes to BIOS version 223.

If I were in your situation, I'd try the CTRL+HOME Crisis BIOS Recovery procedure. If that fails, you may need to reprogram your laptop's BIOS chip as reported in the referenced thread.

cl-Albert
07-23-2013, 06:15 PM
@Baigo, thanks for sending me your serial number and thought I should post here so everybody knows what is going on. Looks like you have 2-year international warranty coverage from what I see, but unfortunately, I don't expect you can get it covered in South America although you may want to double-check with them.

I was hoping you could toggle the caps lock light to indicate the rest of the notebook is working, but since you tell me this doesn't work, I'm not as hopeful that guding you to blindly reload the bios settings or change boot options can help although we might still work on this more later.

Yes, it may be time to try the CTRL+HOME Bios Recovery procedure as dstrakele mentioned, but if you don't have the original ASUS hard drive image installed, you will need to download the G75VW 207 bios (I couldn't get newer G75VW bios versions working for this) and rename it to G75VW.bin on your C: drive before trying it.
Hopefully you can connect the hard drive by USB to another system to get this all set up.
Not sure if this thread Downgrade BIOS 209 from 217 then Laptop wont boot. (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32476-Downgrade-BIOS-209-from-217-then-Laptop-wont-boot.&highlight=g75vw+bios) is any better, but it also has info about the procedure if you want to check it.

Good luck!

Baigo
08-02-2013, 04:34 PM
After reprogramming the chip, issue got solved. I think the process was simple, the chip had to be unsoldered, reprogrammed with a special tool and resoldered.

Special thanks to Guido7142, cl-Albert and Dreamonic, who actually answered many of my questions.

For Argentine users having this issue. The only place in Buenos Aires where you can apparently reprogram the chip is here, located in Puerto Madero (Allem 668 7A). Via bus, just take the 130. You can also use the subway, line D then combine with line B and walk around 3 blocks.
http://www.laptopbaires.com.ar/
The file you download from the ASUS site wont work to repair the chip, you need the one used to reprogram the chip, which was posted by Guido7142 on another thread. Anyway, these guys already have the correct file, so they will fix it for you.

I was asked to wait for 4 hours, its a day job. I'm unaware if the process actually takes 4 hours to complete, but they told me that the chip reprogramming consisted of three steps, reason why reprogramming took them over 2 hours. Maybe they just told me that since they had a lot of laptops to repair, but honestly, I just don't care, the work was properly done. They also told me some stuff about a paralell chip and a security system with the chip, maybe one of you guys can tell me what this is all about. They told me it was a bit tricky to do, but since they know how to do it they didn't have any issue. I don't know if the guy who received the laptops was a bit confused about it when he explained it to me, since he didn't actually do the job, but again, they are neat. The work costed me $380 (pesos)... which is around 50 USD. Not bad isn't it!?

About guarantee, they told me it is very likely no one would ever notice what they did. Apparently they didn't touch the screws with paper, the ones ASUS checks to see if the guarantee is still valid. I know it's not really honest, but it is still worth knowing. (feel free to remove this line mods :P)

Last but not least, a tip for your life.
NEVER, EVER FLASH (UPDATE) YOUR BIOS WITHOUT A REAL REASON. I KNOW MOST OF US LIKE HAVING OUR SYSTEM UPDATED, BUT WHEN TALKING ABOUT THE BIOS, ITS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO FLASH IT BECAUSE OF A FIX, NEVER, EVER USE WINDOWS TOOLS. REASEARCH ON SAFE WAYS TO UPDATE, LIKE HERE: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1

I hope my experience can help other users!

cl-Albert
08-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback Baigo and your suggestions as well as everyone's help with this. Glad you could get it solved!

The VIP link you provided for flashing the bios appears to be for desktop motherboards, so not everything may apply, but yes if you really need to, it's better to flash notebook bios through the bios Easy Flash (I load the bios file from the hard drive and skip the USB drive) instead of Windows although there is still that chance the flash could fail.

Baigo
08-02-2013, 07:26 PM
Was just an example, the point is... make sure you know exacty what you are doing when updating the bios :P

In reply to your post, its a good idea NOT to flash the bios lol

purewise
11-14-2013, 10:22 PM
i have exactly same problem now!
same thing u do with bios then after reset nothing just black screen!
how can i reset or reprogram my Bios when i just getting black screen/??
btw no warranty or support in my country!