PDA

View Full Version : G750 Processor stuck at .77Ghz when unplugged [solved w/new bios]

Musicmatters
07-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Experienced an unscheduled and unexpected shutdown today, after which Windows did yet another update Ever since then, the CPU has been stuck at .77GHz.

I've rebooted, shutdown, pulled the battery, and changed the power option to both high performance and the ASUS power gear settings to no avail.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

TIA,

Craig

EDIT by cl-Albert: 1. Since the G750JW 208 bios was released first to solve this, there is also an alternate thread New 208 JX and 205 JH BIOS on support.asus.com (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37647-New-208-JX-and-205-JH-BIOS-on-support.asus.com) for the G750JX and G750JH if anybody is interested.

2. Also, after you update the bios, if you have Power4Gear installed, don't forget to change the Power4Gear setting as mentioned by hmscott in this thread CPU still at .80 [solved] (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37888-CPU-still-at-.80-solved&country=&status=)

3. Although it doesn't make a lot of sense, 1 member reported " the stress from folding did the trick" if anybody needs to try this: Funny thing happened with my core being stuck at .77 GhZ on battery (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?50260-Funny-thing-happened-with-my-core-being-stuck-at-.77-GhZ-on-battery&country=&status=)

Musicmatters
07-23-2013, 02:58 AM
BTW, it's a 750JW...

The Thing
07-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Hi there!

Do you have Intel XTU installed? I think that may provide you an answer though I'm not sure...... . Maybe re-installing windows will solve your problem but I dunno.....never experienced such thing.

Peace out chap!

Musicmatters
07-23-2013, 04:31 AM
Just rolled back to an earlier restore point and all is well again...

The Thing
07-23-2013, 04:45 AM
Oh, good to hear that. Hopefully you are happy with your system now :D enjoy

Slavisha
07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Bro , im glad you got everything sorted but just quick note to this issue since i had it too. Nothing is wrong with your PC, what makes your processor run at .77 is the power settings. For some reason by default my computer was set to run with less processor power. Go to Power4Gear and make sure that regardless on battery or plugged in your maximum processor power is not limited to 60% or so.
Worked for me. :-)
Best,
Slav

Zygomorphic
07-23-2013, 10:14 AM
@Slavisha, thanks for the answer, because depending on your processor load, .77GHz may be the idle frequency. You need to actually stress the computer to get it to ramp up the processor speed, depending on your power profile.

hmscott
07-23-2013, 02:27 PM
I see you have already reloaded the OS, but if you run into this again, you might check to see the setting of the "Asus Power4Gear Hybrid" app setting.

Even though I selected the High Performance Power4Gear power plan manually through the Windows Power Options control panel, after a reboot it reset to the Power4Gear Battery Saving setting,

The Power4Gear Battery Saving plan is the one that seems like it sticks the processor speed to around 800mhz - actually it will ramp up higher - all the way to full speed - but it takes longer to react than the High Performance plan.

Running a processor intensive application like prime95.exe running 4-8 threads pushed the clock up when using the Power4Gear Battery Saving plan - while plugged in to AC Power.

Experienced an unscheduled and unexpected shutdown today, after which Windows did yet another update Ever since then, the CPU has been stuck at .77GHz.

I've rebooted, shutdown, pulled the battery, and changed the power option to both high performance and the ASUS power gear settings to no avail.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

TIA,

Craig

Musicmatters
07-25-2013, 12:39 PM
My problem is back! i checked the settings in the Asus Power4Gear Hybrid app and set the processor power management maximum to 100%, and rebooted... Still stuck at 770mhz.
Opened Adobe Premiere Pro and setup a render... processor speed did not change despite the load on the system...

Open to any other ideas on this

Myk SilentShadow
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
What are you using to monitor the processor speed? CPU-Z? other software?

Musicmatters
07-25-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm using the performance tab of the Task Manager. Stuck on .77Ghz no matter what...

Makes this computer useless for my needs...

Myk SilentShadow
07-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Ummm I just had a look @ Performance manager on my PC and there is nothing shown about what the frequency is currently of my CPU...so how can you know what speed your CPU is at? download CPU-Z From here (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) install and run it and see what that says please :)

Musicmatters
07-25-2013, 09:45 PM
I don't have CPUZ on this machine, but the Performance tab in the Task Manager shows the CPU speed...

cl-Albert
07-26-2013, 01:08 AM
Hmm...was checking my G750Jw and noticed the cpu speed was 0.77Ghz on 'Battery Saving' mode in the ASUS Power4Gear Hybrid software.

If you are in the desktop, can you press Fn+<spacebar> to toggle the Power4Gear Hybird mode to 'Performance' and check your cpu speed again?

Wondering if the benchmark scores will be any different (and if you notice any performance difference?) between the 2 modes when plugged in (will the cpu speed increase to the same maximum for both Power4Gear Hybrid modes and how accurate is the task manager cpu speed monitor?), but this may be something to check another day.

It looks like there's already been discussion about the Power4Gear Hybrid setting on page one, but we may need to look into it more tomorrow since it seems to make a difference for my unit.

Zygomorphic
07-26-2013, 01:13 AM
From what little I have run Windows 8 (didn't like it), I would say that it seemed to be reasonably accurate. It isn't as good as CPU-Z, but it definitely worked on my G53SX.

Musicmatters
07-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I think that I've been able to solve this (for now?) Somehow Windows Update had a couple of updates that initially failed to install properly. I rolled back all the updates for the dates effected, rebooted each time, and then let Windows Update install all the updates.

System now works as before, so I am happy once again!

Thanks again to everyone for their tips and ideas on getting this solved...

Myk SilentShadow
07-26-2013, 12:29 PM
glad you got it solved :)

Myk SilentShadow
07-26-2013, 12:53 PM
wait so you're saying you fixed this issue with a Windows update? riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

No, he's saying the issue was caused by Windows Updates, rolled back and got them again and everything is fine

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-26-2013, 03:10 PM
No, he's saying the issue was caused by Windows Updates, rolled back and got them again and everything is fine

Always knew windows updates were crap :). I always just stay stock no windows updates.

Musicmatters
07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Looks like I spoke too soon...

Issue is back... not sure what to do next...

cl-Albert
07-26-2013, 05:14 PM
Below are a couple pictures from my G750JW unit running the 207 bios if you want to compare with yours.

Just wanted to check the simple stuff first and make sure you really are on performance mode (click on the pictures to switch between the two).

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention I'm plugged into AC power for those screenshots.
I should be using the ASUS original factory image with Intel Chipset driver V9.4.0.1016 posted on the ASUS download site plus the Splendid patch, but I can reinstall the original factory image if necessary to be sure.

Battery Saving Mode:

Performance Mode:

Musicmatters
07-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Looks like I spoke too soon...

Issue is back... not sure what to do next...

Musicmatters
07-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Great!

Any idea on an eta for that?

Musicmatters
07-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Here's a screenshot of my power management settings and the cpu speed under load (Rendering in Premiere Pro CC).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Craig

cl-Albert
07-27-2013, 02:06 AM
Craig, can you please confirm if you were on AC power or battery power when you took that screenshot (do you notice a performance difference between AC and battery power?)?

Can you tell us your model (G750Jw?) and bios version too?

Musicmatters
07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi Albert!

That screenshot was on battery power. I'll have to plug the laptop in later and see if anything changes.

My model is a G750JW which I've upgraded to 24GB of 1.35v RAM, and a second SATA Drive in bay 2.

Just flashed the 207 BIOS yesterday and it did not seem to make a difference.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Dude. It needs to be plugged in to reach its full potential.

Musicmatters
07-28-2013, 01:32 AM
Hi Albert!

I can confirm that the CPU in my G750 works normally on AC power, but drops down to .77Ghz on battery power and stays stuck there regardless of the ASUS or Windows 8 power management settings.

Zygomorphic
07-28-2013, 01:57 AM
I've tried this both on Win 7 and Win 8 both of them drop to 799 Mhz on battery regardless of the power plan or the min CPU speed setting

we need a BIOS update to fix this ASAP people

please guys @ ASUS do something
The battery cannot source the necessary current to power the CPU and computer at full-speed, so it throttles. This is not something that ASUS can fix, and if they did, there would be battery damage and/or fires, which are even worse. If you want full-speed on battery, you need a weaker computer that doesn't draw so much power.

tului
07-28-2013, 05:12 PM
The battery cannot source the necessary current to power the CPU and computer at full-speed, so it throttles. This is not something that ASUS can fix, and if they did, there would be battery damage and/or fires, which are even worse. If you want full-speed on battery, you need a weaker computer that doesn't draw so much power.

So you're telling me that it can't support more current than a Haswell draws at 799MHz? So all the cheaper laptops that have Haswells only use theirs at 800Mhz on battery too? Not to mention SB and IB laptops? I've had tons of laptops operate at higher than that current draw.

Now if you're saying it can't concurrently do that AND run the 7xxM GPU, I could understand that. But why the hell is it just locked at 800Mhz. If I'm not using the GPU, I'm pretty sure the battery could pump out enough current to hit 2000MHz or so. While I understand the current limit, I call bollocks on the CPU(and the whole system MINUS the GPU) drawing more than it can supply. Otherwise every other laptop I've ever owned was a lie.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-28-2013, 06:44 PM
So you're telling me that it can't support more current than a Haswell draws at 799MHz? So all the cheaper laptops that have Haswells only use theirs at 800Mhz on battery too? Not to mention SB and IB laptops? I've had tons of laptops operate at higher than that current draw.

Now if you're saying it can't concurrently do that AND run the 7xxM GPU, I could understand that. But why the hell is it just locked at 800Mhz. If I'm not using the GPU, I'm pretty sure the battery could pump out enough current to hit 2000MHz or so. While I understand the current limit, I call bollocks on the CPU(and the whole system MINUS the GPU) drawing more than it can supply. Otherwise every other laptop I've ever owned was a lie.

EXACTLY! Asus needs to fix this immediately!

Zygomorphic
07-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Combined with GPU, that's possible, yes. It all depends on how power efficient the 7XXM series GPU is. However, it should get above that when the GPU is idle, since the CPU can ramp up without overdrawing the battery. I was more making a statement about a fully loaded coniguration, not about idle. I would like to try something, to ensure that it isn't an issue with Windows-based power settings. Please try downloading and booting a LINUX liveCD (Ubuntu is a good choice), and then issuing the following command at the terminal:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Post all results, as it contains the current CPU speed information.

Psycho Mantis
08-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I have this issue as well, if I don't get it figured out within 14 days I'm gonna be stuck without a laptop for a lonnnng time haha...

unclewebb
08-05-2013, 02:00 PM
One user contacted me and was able to get the CPU in his G750 running at its full rated speed while on battery power by using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT.

BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot which is basically a signal path to the CPU. Other items on the motherboard can use this to send messages to the CPU. When you switch to battery power, it sends a signal using this method to the CPU which tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot. The CPU responds by thermal throttling which drops the multiplier down to 8 and locks it there regardless of CPU load. The CPU is then stuck at about 798 MHz when properly calculated. Windows 8 rounds the MHz off a little but the most recent version of CPU-Z will probably show 99.77 MHz x 8.0

Anyway, if you disable the BD PROCHOT signal path then your CPU will ignore this message and should be able to run at its full rated speed while on battery power. Will this damage the battery? It might. I have no idea why Asus locked the CPU to such a low speed but protecting the battery is the #1 reason manufacturers do this.

Will disabling BD PROCHOT prevent your CPU from thermal throttling if it gets too hot? No. Thermal throttling protection is built into the CPU and no user software can disable this safety feature. Disabling BD PROCHOT only blocks other items outside the CPU from forcing it to throttle.

The next version of ThrottleStop is not quite finished but it should be good enough to solve this problem. After you disable BD PROCHOT, it should stay disabled after you exit ThrottleStop but you might need to do this again after you come out of stand by mode. You will definitely need to disable this again after you reboot. Post some screen shots so I can have a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6m1i5ege91o7ib2/ThrottleStop_600b1.zip

cosmicmango
08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
One user contacted me and was able to get the CPU in his G750 running at its full rated speed while on battery power by using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT.

BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot which is basically a signal path to the CPU. Other items on the motherboard can use this to send messages to the CPU. When you switch to battery power, it sends a signal using this method to the CPU which tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot. The CPU responds by thermal throttling which drops the multiplier down to 8 and locks it there regardless of CPU load. The CPU is then stuck at about 798 MHz when properly calculated. Windows 8 rounds the MHz off a little but the most recent version of CPU-Z will probably show 99.77 MHz x 8.0

Anyway, if you disable the BD PROCHOT signal path then your CPU will ignore this message and should be able to run at its full rated speed while on battery power. Will this damage the battery? It might. I have no idea why Asus locked the CPU to such a low speed but protecting the battery is the #1 reason manufacturers do this.

Will disabling BD PROCHOT prevent your CPU from thermal throttling if it gets too hot? No. Thermal throttling protection is built into the CPU and no user software can disable this safety feature. Disabling BD PROCHOT only blocks other items outside the CPU from forcing it to throttle.

The next version of ThrottleStop is not quite finished but it should be good enough to solve this problem. After you disable BD PROCHOT, it should stay disabled after you exit ThrottleStop but you might need to do this again after you come out of stand by mode. You will definitely need to disable this again after you reboot. Post some screen shots so I can have a look.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6m1i5ege91o7ib2/ThrottleStop_600b1.zip

unclewebb

Just tried Throttle Stop and it works on my G750JX - here are a couple screen shots.

Throttle Stop Off

Throttle Stop ON

Thanks for the help.

Psycho Mantis
08-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Can that be harmful?

unclewebb
08-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Thanks cosmicmango for posting those pics. It looks like toggling BD PROCHOT off and changing a single bit in the CPU is enough to get this laptop running over 4 times faster when on battery power.

Can that be harmful?

Will this damage the battery? It might. I have no idea why Asus locked the CPU to such a low speed but protecting the battery is the #1 reason manufacturers do this.

Maybe Asus engineering would be kind enough to ship me a free G750 and a few batteries so I can test this out. :)

I would avoid running Prime95 and Furmark at full speed when on battery power but for some light gaming, this might be OK. Early testers will have to keep a close eye on battery wear level.

You guys paid good money for your high performance laptops. There is something seriously wrong when performance on battery power is not even competitive with a 6 year old Core 2 Duo laptop.

Psycho Mantis
08-05-2013, 10:28 PM
People say they fix this in the power settings but I change them and it doesn't change, so if they can do it why can't i?
\And I agree there is something wrong if we can't even do simple tasks without being slowed, my old laptop could run Runescape on battery and this can't.
What is Prime95 and Furmark and how can you avoid running them on battery?
I'm debating on returning this because of this issue.

unclewebb
08-06-2013, 12:08 AM
There are no Windows power options that allow a user to disable BD PROCHOT. When not plugged in, disabling BD PROCHOT seems to be the only way you can run these laptops at their Intel rated speed.

Prime95 and Furmark will stress your CPU and GPU to the max. I don't recommend running these two on a laptop when plugged in let alone when running on battery power. They tend to load your system more than any real world applications will ever load your system. If the battery does not fail, it could significantly shorten its life.

ThrottleStop is flexible. You don't have to use it to run your CPU at full speed when on battery power. Maybe running the CPU at 1600 MHz or 2000 MHz will be adequate for gaming on battery power without having to worry about damaging the battery. We just need a brave user to step up and do some testing so other users will know what speed they can safely run their CPU at when on battery power. If you are testing, I would recommend running ThrottleStop with the Log File option checked so you have a thorough record of your laptop's performance and power consumption when running on battery power.

Psycho Mantis
08-06-2013, 02:12 AM
Okay, I went to the store and tested both computers, the same thing happened to the display G750JW, however the older model, the G75VX, didn't have this issue, and ran at an speed that actually went up and back down instead of staying at the lowest. I saw it staying at 1.3 while not dong anthing and I saw it jump up to 2.6 as well, running on battery.

Now, my dilemma now is should I exchange the G750JW for the G75VX? I'd be able to run it on battery power and still game and not worry about anything running slow (of course, not high demanding games). So I need to figure out if this issue can be solved by an update, then it will be better for me than the G75VX, if it will be like this as long as I have it, unfixable, then the G75VX might be a better choice for me.

unclewebb
08-06-2013, 03:10 AM
So I need to figure out if this issue can be solved by an update, then it will be better for me than the G75VX, if it will be like this as long as I have it, unfixable, then the G75VX might be a better choice for me.

cosmicmango's testing on the previous page shows that this is a simple issue to fix. A single bit in the CPU controls whether this laptop throttles while on battery power. This was done deliberately to protect the battery. If Asus wrote a new bios they could turn off this throttling. That's not going to happen unless users start returning their G750 laptops because they can not run at the advertised speed while on battery power.

Here's the guy that originally used ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT on his G750.

His website shows how he has ThrottleStop setup and he might be able to tell you how his battery is holding up.

zalbard
08-06-2013, 10:48 AM
If Asus wrote a new bios they could turn off this throttling.
I sure hope they do that... The battery is not that weak, not any worse than on G75VX...

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks man your a life saver. Im going to do some tests. :)

Edit: I can finally play minecraft on my god damn battery lol

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Ok. I have tested Left For Dead 2 on battery power with throttlestep. I can get 15 fps on maximum settings. Better than 2 fps :)

Screenshot:

Psycho Mantis
08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
I don't wanna do this if it's not guaranteed to be safe :eek:

Musicmatters
08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
If CPU throttling was disclosed as a feature in their marketing literature for the G750s. I could have made an informed decision about whether to get a G750 or an MSI or whatever, but sadly it was not. That really doesn't sit well with me. Did ASUS really think no one would notice this?

Somewhere in the manual states that the laptop is not intended to be plugged in all the time. Given this throttling issue, you can't really game or edit videos on this laptop UNLESS it's plugged in. Unplugged it's really only good for web browsing, email, etc. Not what I expected, and certainly not how this product was marketed...

Plugged in it's a great machine (and with the addition of an SSD, 24GB RAM, 1GB SATA 6Gb data drive), it really does hum right along doing what I need it to do...

On battery? Whole nother story.

I'm looking for a BIOS update (and perhaps a spare battery) for ASUS to make this right...

zalbard
08-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Given this throttling issue, you can't really game or edit videos on this laptop UNLESS it's plugged in. Unplugged it's really only good for web browsing, email, etc.
Pretty much only e-mail and Word / light Excel works. Heavier browsing suffers, not even talking about software development or database work. Hell, even PowerPoint can be really slow, lol. I had to return my laptop while I still could. If this gets fixed I will buy one again.

Slavisha
08-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Do we know if ASUS is aware of this? I mean that people have issue with their latest machine and the way how processor is set up?
I am just curious if they are doing something about it or just letting people return their lap tops?

Musicmatters
08-07-2013, 04:54 PM
I contacted them about this and they are aware of this thread.

Slavisha
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Awesome. Thanks for doing that Musicmatters. If you come across any thread on here on any other forum where they have responded on this issue, please let us know.

c0rp1bg
08-07-2013, 05:23 PM
This problem is with all g750 right? Not only with G750JW ?

Slavisha
08-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I think its with all G750.

B1g_Dav3
08-07-2013, 06:58 PM
I have also contacted them linking to this thread, so the more the merrier!

Psycho Mantis
08-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Okay great, hopefully something happens in 10 days because thats how much time i have left to return it..

B1g_Dav3
08-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Okay great, hopefully something happens in 10 days because thats how much time i have left to return it..

I'm with you on this one.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-08-2013, 02:52 PM
I may just have to return mine :(. I hate how Asus just stands by and watches their loyal customers beg them for a fix for the CPU. I proved it can work full speed on battery with throttlestop. There is no battery issue or anything. They just don't want to fix it.

B1g_Dav3
08-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Think it'll be my last if they don't do a fix or something, I've had 2 ASUS computers, and both have had to be replaced.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-08-2013, 10:28 PM
This was my first Asus. I wish i could return it. From now on, i am going with Alienware.

Shawnnepc
08-09-2013, 01:01 AM
They might be able to fix the CPU issue, but you still won't be able to game on it.

The GPU downclock is a NVIDIA 'feature' and not something that can be modified.

All NVIDIA 'desktop replacement' laptops have this issue.

Zygomorphic
08-09-2013, 01:49 AM
ASUS doesn't care about their customers they just release a product and forget it. This is my last ASUS laptop due to crappy BIOS and Driver support
Guys, let's be careful. While once or twice using the laptop unthrottled on battery may not show any issues, repeated usage can damage the battery. Lithium-Ion (laptop) batteries have a current limit which, if exceeded, can cause damage to the battery. That is why ASUS has done this.

Psycho Mantis
08-09-2013, 03:14 AM
The G75VX has the same battery but it runs normal speed on battery power though?

B1g_Dav3
08-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Are 7 series GPU's more power hungry than 6 series? Only thing I can think of here >.<

zalbard
08-09-2013, 02:42 PM
The G75VX has the same battery but it runs normal speed on battery power though?
This. This doesn't seem right at all. Pretty sure it is a bug or something not fully thought through.

kano2
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
maybe this is the new asus technology to prolong the battery.

i wonder if this also happen to other gaming laptop [msi,alien,razer] with new haswell and gtx 7xxm gpu

zalbard
08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
maybe this is the new asus technology to prolong the battery.
What's the point of longer battery life if laptop is unusable, anyway?

i wonder if this also happen to other gaming laptop [msi,alien,razer] with new haswell and gtx 7xxm gpu
Don't know about Razer, doesn't happen with others.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-10-2013, 12:22 AM
That can't be true at all. Who cares about battery life? We are gamers for gosh sakes!

Psycho Mantis
08-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Right lol, even if its 45 mins I'm happy. So does anyone know if ithis can be fixed through an update or are we all screwed?

zalbard
08-22-2013, 11:21 PM
MSI GT70: Intel Core i7-4700MQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M, 87 Wh Lithium-Ion,
7800 mAh battery. <- CPU DOESN'T downclock (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-MSI-GT70-2OC-065US-Notebook.99472.0.html).

ASUS G750: Intel Core i7-4700HQ, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770M, 88 Wh Lithium-Ion,
5900 mAh battery. <- CPU downclocks.

Looks like our batteries are crap, guys. Engineers from ASUS screwed up.

Right lol, even if its 45 mins I'm happy. So does anyone know if ithis can be fixed through an update or are we all screwed?
:(

Musicmatters
08-22-2013, 11:49 PM
I still believe that this is an easy fix for Asus. NOWHERE in the product literature does this come up as a feature, which leads me to believe that it is in fact, a bug. A bug which can be fixed by a BIOS update.

No reasonable person would buy a G750 laptop if they were aware of this bug. I'd hate to spoil the G750 party, but this is the perfect thing to take to social media to convince ASUS that this needs to be fixed ASAP.

Don't get me wrong. I love the performance of my G750 on AC power, but it's a LAPTOP, and as such has to perform at the same level when on BATTERY!

EpIcSnIpErZ23
08-24-2013, 03:23 PM
EXACTLY! Asus makes a product, and drops everything. I am never buying an Asus Again.

Zygomorphic
08-25-2013, 01:30 AM
Guys, if it is really a bug with the system, then I would take to ASUS facebook page and message them. They would definitely listen if enough people made a point to tell them where they can improve. No company can improve without feedback, and if a BIOS update will fix the issue, then ASUS will probably make it.

faisalfaisal
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
When we are on Batteries It would be better if we have the same configuration of cpu when it runs on AC adapter
like to go on full throttle in performance mode or to go on with power saving mode and do normal stuff like browsing and videos and other light stuff to get more out of our batteries

Maxter
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
If you didn't notice, the GPU stays stuck at 135 MHz too :-/ why aren't we using the integrated graphics card in the CPU to help save power like other new laptops?

zalbard
08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
If you didn't notice, the GPU stays stuck at 135 MHz too :-/ why aren't we using the integrated graphics card in the CPU to help save power like other new laptops?
Because display's links to iGPU are physically cut.

UnfairAwesomeness
08-27-2013, 07:05 AM
Go to advanced power settings -> processor power management -> on battery->minimum/maxiumum processor state

Zygomorphic
08-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Because using Optimus on battery allows better battery life, at the cost of reducing peak performance when plugged in and using the discrete card. The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have physically switchable graphics, which are uncommon, complex, and expensive. By throttling the GPU, ASUS has tried to provide some decent level of battery life (remember, it's a 17" gaming laptop) while not compromising on the plugged-in performance.

Maxter
08-27-2013, 08:02 PM
Because using Optimus on battery allows better battery life, at the cost of reducing peak performance when plugged in and using the discrete card. The only way to have the best of both worlds is to have physically switchable graphics, which are uncommon, complex, and expensive. By throttling the GPU, ASUS has tried to provide some decent level of battery life (remember, it's a 17" gaming laptop) while not compromising on the plugged-in performance.

Truth is that I'm really impressed with battery life. I'm getting 5+ hours while using it for work, then at night I plug and game. So if you don't mind having to be plugged in for gaming, it's pretty bad ars that the battery lasts so long for regular internet/word processing (on such a humongous screen). I just saw my friends new lenovo and noticed on battery he uses the integrated GPU, and on plugged it activates his GTX 750m, I was a bit jealous for a moment, then remembered we got 765m :D. Still, underclocking our GPU to 135Mhz makes a huge difference in battery life and temperature. :D

zalbard
08-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Truth is that I'm really impressed with battery life. I'm getting 5+ hours while using it for work, then at night I plug and game.
What kind of work are you doing with a 800MHz CPU?

And while getting a CPU to work properly would reduce laptop's battery life, your work performance would also improve. After all, you get paid per hour of real work, not per hour of battery life. Working faster is more important than suffering with a slow laptop for an extra hour.

Maxter
08-29-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm doing immunofluorescence image analysis... not really a CPU demanding task, but I do understand. I would love to game on the go :_( or even better, load software faster; I think they should take advantage of the boost technology and let the CPU boost to at least 2GHz at small intervals (so fast the CPU won't even go up by a degree of temp) when needed. My friend that worked on this architecture at intel told me the chip was made for that. ASUS is just being bleh....

rex450se
08-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Is this problem only with the new 207 BIOS? I have this problem now and don't remember having it when I was on version 203.

VIctor

Zygomorphic
08-31-2013, 01:54 AM
True, you are being paid per hour of work, not battery life, but if waiting a little longer for something to complete means that he can work a lot longer, that actually ends up saving money. I too have been impressed with the battery life of my G53SX, it would run for >2 hours doing CAD (WiFi off, min screen brightness), which is honestly rather impressive, if you ask me. I hadn't underclocked my GPU either, so it might have lasted even longer (though the CAD program would have been painfully slow).

zalbard
08-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Is this problem only with the new 207 BIOS? I have this problem now and don't remember having it when I was on version 203.

VIctor
No, all versions are affected.

True, you are being paid per hour of work, not battery life, but if waiting a little longer for something to complete means that he can work a lot longer, that actually ends up saving money. I too have been impressed with the battery life of my G53SX, it would run for >2 hours doing CAD (WiFi off, min screen brightness), which is honestly rather impressive, if you ask me. I hadn't underclocked my GPU either, so it might have lasted even longer (though the CAD program would have been painfully slow).
To be fair, if you don't care much about performance, there are notebooks with FAR better battery life and also much better performance while working from battery...
The thing is, in DTR category, this is the only laptop with this issue. So it's definitely not normal.

Rico7ven
09-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm curious why are not more people complaining about this? If this machine only runs at .77ghz unplugged without it being disclosed somewhere is just plain wrong!! Has Anyone heard from Asus with an official answer on this?

TekNiko
09-04-2013, 09:10 AM
I bought this laptop as my portable gaming machine. If I it needs to be plugged in for me to game properly, I should have just gotten a desktop. This is a very dumb decision by ASUS IMO.

Users should be able to decide whether they want to downclock to extend battery life or keep it running at max performance when running on battery. It shouldn't be something that ASUS shoves down everyone's throats.

Zygomorphic
09-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Actually, this is pretty much standard for the industry, due to the power that these notebooks draw. If you pull more current from a Li-On battery than it is designed to source, two things can happen: 1) Damage the battery - reducing its capacity 2) Battery fire/explosion.

This is an issue of protecting the components in the laptop, since manufacturing a battery that can source the necessary current would be prohibitively expensive. Remember, the rated power supply on the brick is the power that the battery would have to source. On my G53SX, that's 19.5 V, 7.7 A. P=IV=(7.7 Amps)(19.5 Volts)=150.15 Watts. The battery is 72.8 Watt*hours, so the theoretical battery life: T=(E)/P=(72.8 Watt*hours)/(150 Watts)=0.48 hours.

Keep in mind that those are theoretical calculations. Sourcing 7.7 amps out of a battery is really hard. The ones designed to source those currents are often car batteries - which are lead-acid, not li-on.

Rico7ven
09-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Correct if I'm wrong ...so at .77ghz we roughly have a Intel Pentium lll chip to work with? Mind you I'm not trying to run NASA from my laptop while its on battery but I would like to think this machine as it is "advertised" could do better than that. And just an FYI I like the machine ...but this issue bothers me. My i5 HP puts out more power than this unplugged.

zalbard
09-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Even Web-browing on battery is slow. If that doesn't say anything about performance then I don't know what does...

UnfairAwesomeness
09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
in response to how I fixed it in the settings, it doesn't work anymore for the 5th 1 i traded in for (it did work before though)

AlexKidd
09-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I just bought this laptop a week or so ago, and like others, it appears to be throttled forcefully while running on battery. No matter what settings I change. I just downloaded the ThrottleStop tool and going to give that a shot.

I've been working with PCs for decades and these latest generation chips can take crazy amounts of abuse, I don't buy that they're protecting anything but their pocket books. A laptop with this class of processor and graphics can beat portable workstations at twice the price - I'm firmly believing that they've decided to lock down battery performance in order to discourage professional use of the system. I will have no issue with running ThrottleStop. If it doesn't work then I'm taking the crippled machine back. I need to be able to operate some Hyper-V virtual machines/servers for various projects and in some cases I will be unplugged so 800 MHz isn't going to cut it. :-(

--Kidd

UnfairAwesomeness
09-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Maybe I got a lucky unit (except for the other issues with the first 5 i tried to get)or there is some setting that let's you set the processor speed back to normal but it definitely is possible to fix the "while on batter" cpu slowdown

I just bought this laptop a week or so ago, and like others, it appears to be throttled forcefully while running on battery. No matter what settings I change. I just downloaded the ThrottleStop tool and going to give that a shot.

I've been working with PCs for decades and these latest generation chips can take crazy amounts of abuse, I don't buy that they're protecting anything but their pocket books. A laptop with this class of processor and graphics can beat portable workstations at twice the price - I'm firmly believing that they've decided to lock down battery performance in order to discourage professional use of the system. I will have no issue with running ThrottleStop. If it doesn't work then I'm taking the crippled machine back. I need to be able to operate some Hyper-V virtual machines/servers for various projects and in some cases I will be unplugged so 800 MHz isn't going to cut it. :-(

--Kidd

UnfairAwesomeness
09-06-2013, 05:25 AM
It would make a lot more sense if Asus would enable integrated graphics while it's on battery and keep the cpu at it's normal frequency. How does gpu at 135MHz compare to integrated graphics?

zalbard
09-06-2013, 09:21 AM
It would make a lot more sense if Asus would enable integrated graphics while it's on battery and keep the cpu at it's normal frequency. How does gpu at 135MHz compare to integrated graphics?
They can't because links connecting iGPU to display are physically cut.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-06-2013, 10:43 AM
They can't because links connecting iGPU to display are physically cut.

I know this but, I wasn't referring to if it wasn't.
And in, referring to the G750, since we use modified graphics card drivers (according to other forum post it's months old), how does it compare to other notebooks where they use up-to-date nvidia drivers

AlexKidd
09-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Back with an update - ThrottleStop did release my CPUs awesomeness, but it does look like the GPU is throttled as well. Thankfully even at the reduced clock as long as you're not running a crazy intensive game then performance seems plenty fine to me, usually 45-60 FPS in Minecraft for example is no problem. 60 of course being the VSYNC'ed refresh rate.

My concern was performance of virtual machines and my applications while in portable mode which rarely depend on GPU, so I'm happy as long as they don't kill my ability to unlock CPU with ThrottleStop. Someone buying to run AutoCAD may be disappointed - that should have been their primary audience to target anyway. Throttling the CPU seems absurd.

--Kidd

zalbard
09-06-2013, 03:13 PM
And in, referring to the G750, since we use modified graphics card drivers (according to other forum post it's months old), how does it compare to other notebooks where they use up-to-date nvidia drivers
We can use official Nvidia drivers just fine.

Nillaz
09-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Back with an update - ThrottleStop did release my CPUs awesomeness, but it does look like the GPU is throttled as well. Thankfully even at the reduced clock as long as you're not running a crazy intensive game then performance seems plenty fine to me, usually 45-60 FPS in Minecraft for example is no problem. 60 of course being the VSYNC'ed refresh rate.

My concern was performance of virtual machines and my applications while in portable mode which rarely depend on GPU, so I'm happy as long as they don't kill my ability to unlock CPU with ThrottleStop. Someone buying to run AutoCAD may be disappointed - that should have been their primary audience to target anyway. Throttling the CPU seems absurd.

--Kidd

Any further thoughts on using Throttlestop for daily tasks? My G750 is great for everything while plugged in, but I can't really say I'm satisfied with it's performance while on battery for even basic things like web browsing. There's a noticeable difference in responsiveness.

I'm amenable to trying throttlestop but I'd like to be aware of any potential pitfalls before diving in. How bad is the impact on your battery life? Any serious concerns about system temps? For any kind of gaming I'll be sure to plug in first, but it would be nice if I could do basic light duty tasks without being throttled into oblivion.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Any further thoughts on using Throttlestop for daily tasks? My G750 is great for everything while plugged in, but I can't really say I'm satisfied with it's performance while on battery for even basic things like web browsing. There's a noticeable difference in responsiveness.

I'm amenable to trying throttlestop but I'd like to be aware of any potential pitfalls before diving in. How bad is the impact on your battery life? Any serious concerns about system temps? For any kind of gaming I'll be sure to plug in first, but it would be nice if I could do basic light duty tasks without being throttled into oblivion.

just raise the cpu frequency to 2.0 or so, should be enough

remidesroques
09-10-2013, 03:47 PM
OK so still there is no improvement to this thread except the Throttlestop fix which after reading seems dangerous. I'm simply outraged. I just can't believe that I won't be able to edit music on the go (that's is why I bought it!!! ). As soon as I hit play the cpu meter goes red instantly and sounds keep stopping. Does anybody knows if there is anything I can do within window settings (power management) to improve that or it is useless like some said on this thread and it won't do anything.

UnfairAwesomeness
09-10-2013, 04:35 PM
OK so still there is no improvement to this thread except the Throttlestop fix which after reading seems dangerous. I'm simply outraged. I just can't believe that I won't be able to edit music on the go (that's is why I bought it!!! ). As soon as I hit play the cpu meter goes red instantly and sounds keep stopping. Does anybody knows if there is anything I can do within window settings (power management) to improve that or it is useless like some said on this thread and it won't do anything.

How is it dangerous? keep cpu frequency at 2.0ish, screen brightness down, stop background apps, and you will be fine.

remidesroques
09-11-2013, 02:38 AM
How is it dangerous? keep cpu frequency at 2.0ish, screen brightness down, stop background apps, and you will be fine.
Sorry if it looks like a newb question but how do you actually set the cpu to 2.0ish. is this done in Throttlestop?

EDIT: Setting the multiplier in Throttlestop to make the CPU go to max 2GHz-ish?

zalbard
09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
If it isn't dangerous, why is a BIOS fix still not available?

Maxter
09-11-2013, 08:04 PM
BIOS 208 just got posted on the ASUS website today. It claims to fix the throttling. Installing now... will comment later on it.

Maxter
09-11-2013, 08:18 PM
All right. This is much better. CPU at 0.77Ghz and I saw it clock to 1.5GHz as needed then jump back down to 0.77GHz (pretty sure that it's increasing clocks purely on demand - it should reach 2.4 GHz if in a game I think). GPU at 135MHz going to 800MHz as needed then back down to 135MHz. I can feel the difference. I am not testing how games would run on this (I'm at work still). I do think this BIOS solves our problem. Cheers!

EDIT: This was tested on Power Saving more, not on Performance Mode.
EDIT2: On performance mode, CPU idles around 1.3 GHz and increases clocks as needed, then back to ~1.3GHz. GPU sets at 135MHz and increases clock as needed to 800 MHz (I think the boost is active too, as needed).

In other words, ALL IS SOLVED!!!!

Slavisha
09-12-2013, 12:29 AM
All right. This is much better. CPU at 0.77Ghz and I saw it clock to 1.5GHz as needed then jump back down to 0.77GHz (pretty sure that it's increasing clocks purely on demand - it should reach 2.4 GHz if in a game I think). GPU at 135MHz going to 800MHz as needed then back down to 135MHz. I can feel the difference. I am not testing how games would run on this (I'm at work still). I do think this BIOS solves our problem. Cheers!

EDIT: This was tested on Power Saving more, not on Performance Mode.
EDIT2: On performance mode, CPU idles around 1.3 GHz and increases clocks as needed, then back to ~1.3GHz. GPU sets at 135MHz and increases clock as needed to 800 MHz (I think the boost is active too, as needed).

In other words, ALL IS SOLVED!!!!

There is no BIOS update for G750JX or JH only for JW model. I have 207 on my G750JX. Does these models share same BIOS? Is it safe for me to update the 208 on my G750JX?

Slavisha
09-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Well I have to correct myself. The BIOS version are targeted for specific model. The BIOS 208 is available only for G750JW and it is not applicable on other models. For the rest of us the issue is still not resolved.

zalbard
09-12-2013, 05:04 PM
BIOS 208 just got posted on the ASUS website today. It claims to fix the throttling. Installing now... will comment later on it.
That's excellent news. Waiting for a BIOS fix for other models.
Hopefully CPU boosts all the way as it does on AC.

Maxter
09-13-2013, 06:14 AM
There is no BIOS update for G750JX or JH only for JW model. I have 207 on my G750JX. Does these models share same BIOS? Is it safe for me to update the 208 on my G750JX?

DO NOT INSTALL BIOS FROM DIFFERENT VERSIONS. You can brick your computer. But Keep an eye... your BIOS update should be appearing soon.

B1g_Dav3
09-13-2013, 10:31 PM
How easy is this to do? Never done this sort of thing before.

Slavisha
09-13-2013, 11:38 PM
How easy is this to do? Never done this sort of thing before.

It takes 5 min. Pretty simple.
Here is the guide:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37270-BIOS-Update-How-To&country=&status=

B1g_Dav3
09-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Is it pretty safe to do? Keep reading that you can mess your computer quite easily >_>

zalbard
09-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Is it pretty safe to do? Keep reading that you can mess your computer quite easily >_>
It's safe if you do it right.

bootyroast
09-15-2013, 05:21 AM
Waiting for the version for JX

Slavisha
09-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Waiting for the version for JX

Yea me to brother. I wonder why would they push BIOS for one version but not for others.

easykriam
09-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Here aswell.

Jeracan
09-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Waiting for the JX model aswell, please scream out lout when it lands :)

Wagnard
09-17-2013, 01:10 PM
Waiting for the JH model.

iweber95
09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Any ETA on when the JX patch will come?

Myroslav
09-18-2013, 03:27 AM
I am sorry to be a mean ass about this, but having a jw right now compared to jx/jh is like having my e72 nokia when iphones came out. No troubles for cheaper price tag with pretty much the same configuration :)

Slavisha
09-18-2013, 06:38 AM
I am sorry to be a mean ass about this, but having a jw right now compared to jx/jh is like having my e72 nokia when iphones came out. No troubles for cheaper price tag with pretty much the same configuration :)

Super, boli te uvo nisi se potrosio ko mi ostali a imas isti komp. :-)

Gingineer
09-18-2013, 02:22 PM
I just recently bought my ROG laptop is the new G750JH.
I have the same problem. even if you set the Power4Gear to high performance. If it's unplugged, the cpu speed is still 0.77ghz
Hopefully its just a software bug and not a hardware.

AlexKidd
09-19-2013, 12:40 AM
The 208 BIOS patch for G750JW seems to have fixed the issue on my G750.

I bought my JW at Best Buy -- are the JX and JH's available from Best Buy as well? I could easily see Best Buy threatening to return truckloads of them back to ASUS if they didn't fix the issue.

--Kidd

faisalfaisal
09-19-2013, 09:11 AM
yeah im also waiting for JX Model
any estimate time for the fix???

hmscott
09-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Battery Throttling Fix => New 208 JX and 205 JH BIOS on support.asus.com

** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan on 208 gives me the best result now, and I am staying on 208.

JX BIOS options. Earlier there was only version 207. Asus added two versions of the battery throttling fix BIOS version 203 as well as the newest 208.
English/US link: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...50JX&p=3&s=521

Version 208
Description BIOS 208 (G750JX)
Fix that CPU and GPU will be throttled immediately when change to DC mode.
File Size 2,25 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 203
Description BIOS 203 (G750JXA)
File Size 2,23 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 207
Description BIOS 207
1.Update EC firmware
2.Support new power 4 gear
File Size 2,25 (MBytes) 2013.06.05 update

On my JX I am running version 207, so I assume I will update to 208 with the battery throttling fix.

** Update: It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan on 208 gives me the best result now, and I am staying on 208.

Why did Asus provide version 203 with the battery throttling fix as well? I did notice that the version 208 is for G750JX and version 203 is for G750JXA... what does the JXA indicate?

JH BIOS options. Again, not sure why 2 versions of the battery throttling fix BIOS, 205 and 203. Version 204 was the only BIOS listed earlier.
English/US link: http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...50JH&p=3&s=521

Version 205
Description BIOS 205 (G750JH)
File Size 2,21 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 203
Description BIOS 203 (G750JHA)
File Size 2,23 (MBytes) 2013.09.22 update

Version 204
Description BIOS 204
Fix that Keyboard light will fade out after a while in AC mode
File Size 2,21 (MBytes) 2013.08.08 update

**==> http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?37647-New-208-JX-and-205-JH-BIOS-on-support.asus.com&country=&status=

rex450se
09-22-2013, 02:37 PM
WooHoo

Updated to 208 without a problem and works as it should on my JX.

Pitcher
09-22-2013, 08:05 PM
WooHoo

Updated to 208 without a problem and works as it should on my JX.

just comes to prove my point that hmscott has a crappy system or doesn't know what he's doing! working perfect here

BlapX
09-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Just updated the bios from 207 to 208 and its working fine. Now when i unplug the power its no longer stuck at 0,77ghz But nicely going up to 2,4Ghz unplugged. Thanks folks!

hmscott
09-22-2013, 08:33 PM
just comes to prove my point that hmscott has a crappy system or doesn't know what he's doing! working perfect here

Pitcher, I don't have a crappy system, and I do know what I am doing.

If you have the time and patience I can help you set up the same tests I am running that shows the lag.

If you aren't seeing any problems then you aren't running the system hard enough to see the lag. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, it just means with your limited testing and usage you aren't seeing the problem.

After years of testing/evaluating systems I have tests that I use sto tress the system to find load related problems quickly.

If you are running BIOS 208 ok with your usage, then that's great. But please don't cast aspersions on those that are spending the time to find the problems, debug them to a solution, and recommend a fix to the vendor.

Pitcher
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Pitcher, I don't have a crappy system, and I do know what I am doing.

If you have the time and patience I can help you set up the same tests I am running that shows the lag.

If you aren't seeing any problems then you aren't running the system hard enough to see the lag. That doesn't mean there isn't a problem, it just means with your limited testing and usage you aren't seeing the problem.

After years of testing/evaluating systems I have tests that I use sto tress the system to find load related problems quickly.

If you are running BIOS 208 ok with your usage, then that's great. But please don't cast aspersions on those that are spending the time to find the problems, debug them to a solution, and recommend a fix to the vendor.

here you go bro to prove you it's only your system

PS: The reason you see the core speed @ 2.11 is normal that's because all 8 cores are working but in normal situations it's
@ 3.2 to 3.4 Ghz. and this test was done on battery power

no mouse jerkiness, i used the computer as well and browsed on Pale Moon it was smooth as usual

http://i39.tinypic.com/2rhbp8n.png

hmscott
09-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Guys, It looks like I am the only one seeing input lag on Bios 208 under CPU load, so please do try it for yourself, using the Balanced Power Plan on 208 gives me the best result now, and I am staying on 208.

Slavisha
09-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Guys, it looks like I am the only one seeing the lag issues with 208, so please go for it and try it for yourself :)

I upgraded mine BIOS to 208 about 5 hours ago, played Call of Duty, Starcraft with no problem. I even tried to play Starcraft while Call of Duty is running in background and haven't experienced any lag or anything. I am happy with what my computer can do on battery. For me the new BIOS 208 covers my needs. I hope you guys get same luck with your systems.

ttrevorbacon
09-24-2013, 04:13 AM
I just read all the way through this entire thread and tried every suggestion except the throttle blocker program and I have to say Im a little pissed. If I wanted a computer that I can only game on when its plugged in I would have bought a damn desktop. Im sitting at .8 Ghz and I do a lot of image rendering in photoshop and illustrator and the process is notably slowed when I am running on battery power. I hope ASUS fixes this or they are loosing at least one customer.

Cykon
09-24-2013, 04:52 AM
So you still experience throttling issues after updating your system BIOS?

hmscott
09-24-2013, 08:13 AM
I just read all the way through this entire thread and tried every suggestion except the throttle blocker program and I have to say Im a little pissed. If I wanted a computer that I can only game on when its plugged in I would have bought a damn desktop. Im sitting at .8 Ghz and I do a lot of image rendering in photoshop and illustrator and the process is notably slowed when I am running on battery power. I hope ASUS fixes this or they are loosing at least one customer.

Check to see which Power Plan you have active. Switch to the Balanced Plan and see if that fixes it. For me and another person, the Asus Power4Gear Power Saving power plan, which is automatically selected when you go to battery power if the Power4Gear Hybrid package is installed, initially keeps the speed down to .79 too firmly.

You get to the power plans via Control Panel => System and Security => Power Options.

Pierre990429
09-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Personally, I uninstalled Power4Gear since there is no way to disable it. Once it's gone, you have the "classic" Windows battery settings : "normal", "max perf", "energy saving" ( I've a French Windows, so those are translations).
You can re-install Power4Gear at any time, though.

ttrevorbacon
09-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Thank you hmscott and Pierre990429 that seemed to do the trick. I tried everything but that is what fixed it for me... now if I can figure out why my comp goes to sleep after only two minutes when its plugged in I think I will be all set to go. Any way thank both of you i exausted all of the other options mentioned and even though Im glad to have updated my bios im glad to have this figure out. Thank you!

hmscott
09-25-2013, 04:47 AM
..now if I can figure out why my comp goes to sleep after only two minutes when its plugged in...

Cool :)

To fix the sleep/screen dim/screen off after a delay, go back to the power plan you have selected and click "Change Plan Settings" on the right, and you get a dialog with the dim display/off display/sleep delay timing under battery and AC :)

Also, check your desktop personalization for screensaver settings in your current theme.

It looks like for some, uninstalling Power4Gear Hybrid gets rid of the strange dimming and sleep behavior, and when reinstalling Power4Gear Hybrid again it keeps working.

Karl78
09-30-2013, 07:39 PM
With new bios version (208, g750jx) no problem. The only thing to do (at least with powe4gear on), is to change the cpu performance in advanced settings from 5% to 100% and that's it.

hmscott
09-30-2013, 07:46 PM
With new bios version (208, g750jx) no problem. The only thing to do (at least with powe4gear on), is to change the cpu performance in advanced settings from 5% to 100% and that's it.

Which Power4Gear plan, Power Saving or High Performance?

If you switch to battery from AC, the plan automatically switches to Power Saving, cutting your CPU back down to .79ghz, even at 100%-100%.

On AC running at 100%-100% isn't the best use of your cooling - it defeats the on demand CPU tuning. Keeping the processor down near idle at idle times keeps things cool, draws less power, if the plan is working correct 0%-100% is good for all except benchmarking extreme performance - which is most of the time, 0%-100% is best.

Right now the Balanced Power Plan at 0-100% works best on battery and AC, and you can uninstall Power4Gear without losing any functionality - I will try Power4Gear Hybrid again when a new version comes out.

Karl78
10-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Ok, I'll try without power4gear. Anyway, in battery mode with Power4gear in high performance and cpu performance to 100%, the frequency of cpu is the same as in AC (note that in AC and high performance with power4gear, the cpu performance is set to default at 100%). Otherwise in power saving mode with cpu minimum on 100%, the cpu stuck at about 1.46GHz

AvX-lood
11-29-2013, 04:14 PM
PROBLEM.. Installed 208 on my g750JW using the instuctions linked earlier.. It installed smoothly and verified and power of itself.. Now everytime it starts it goes straight into bios again,, it doesnt boot windows and i cant do anything in boot order.. doesnt acces windows anymore? it says 208 in bios.

hmscott
11-29-2013, 09:54 PM
PROBLEM.. Installed 208 on my g750JW using the instuctions linked earlier.. It installed smoothly and verified and power of itself.. Now everytime it starts it goes straight into bios again,, it doesnt boot windows and i cant do anything in boot order.. doesnt acces windows anymore? it says 208 in bios.

Make sure you didn't change any of the booting/secure/csm settings along the way - resetting to defaults should fix that.

Try setting Default Settings in BIOS, Save, and it will restart.

After doing that, you should boot up ok again..

If not check to see if you see the disks in the BIOS, check the boot options, make sure your disk(s) show up there too.

Then, after you have pulled the disk(s) and backed them up - saving all your personal data - do a Recovery partition refresh of Windows. If that doesn't fix it, you can do a complete restore.

Check out the G750JW manual page 83 for Windows Refresh and page 84 for Windows Reset, or you can use the Recovery Partition System Image restore on page 85/86 of the manual.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JW/#support_Download

dboris
12-16-2013, 09:42 PM
My laptop is all updated (8.1, bios, graphic card), and even in high performance mode, even by putting "minimum CPU state = 100%", the CPU is stuck at 800mhz EVERYTIME I go on the Battlefield 4 windows.
The worst thing is that it just happenned a few days ago and everything was fine before.
I tried to unistall power4gear, to reinstall the graphic drivers (random try), but still stuck at 800mhz on games x))!

If someones have any idea..

hmscott
12-17-2013, 09:30 AM
My laptop is all updated (8.1, bios, graphic card), and even in high performance mode, even by putting "minimum CPU state = 100%", the CPU is stuck at 800mhz EVERYTIME I go on the Battlefield 4 windows.
The worst thing is that it just happenned a few days ago and everything was fine before.
I tried to unistall power4gear, to reinstall the graphic drivers (random try), but still stuck at 800mhz on games x))!
If someones have any idea..

Did you set the active power plan to under 100% Max? That turns off turbo...

dboris
12-17-2013, 05:54 PM
No, everything is at 100 and works well with some other games and the proc is at 3.3ghz on internet and everything else, but as soon as I switch to the BF4 windows, it goes to 800mhz :eek:

edit: it does the same **** on Skyrim too :(

Edit by cl-Albert: For those interested in finding out what happened for dboris' hopefully uncommon issue, check this thread http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?41680-Stuck-to-800mhz-once-I-launch-a-game-solved!&country=&status=

Dorrulf
03-04-2014, 05:55 PM
JH: I never had any lag issues when on battery even though throttled. Could even watch youtube just fine. I only play games when plugged in, wouldn't generally play on battery.

So my concern is, if I update and continue my generally light use when on battery, would I still get the 3 - 4 hours of battery life? (would probably have to use power saving mode etc...)

Why game while on battery? Wouldn't you only get about an hour of play anyways?

OHIOJAYOHIO
04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Can anyone help me with my issue with my rog g750jw, it is stuck at 0.77 while unplugged this really bugs me because i am on the go alot. Im a web designer and adobe pro. But i cannot seem to get it unclocked at 0.77 while unplug can anyone help ive tried multiple steps but hit a brick wall. Ive tried advanced power options set all the settings on maximum updated my bios from 206 to 208. Windows updates are all updated plz help willing to ((donate)!!

xeroF/A-18
08-07-2015, 06:42 PM
How can we fix this same issue on WIndows 10? The Power4Gear app does not work and for some reason when you go in the Power Options and try to change advance settings manually, for some reason saving does not work, it reverts back to Balance settings. The CPU frequency just hangs out between 1.09 and .77 GHz.

unclewebb
08-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Not sure what is wrong with your computer but the High Performance profile still exists in Windows 10. Are you plugged in?

If all else fails, try using ThrottleStop. It works in Windows 10 and doesn't put any significant load on the CPU when idle.

http://i.imgur.com/RMShAdQ.png

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDTE1fcHNtbUMwdGc