PDA

View Full Version : G73 Dead Battery?

Drednot
07-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Hi,

In the interested of ruling out as much as possible, I'll be as thorough as I can.

First, I almost never move my laptop, as it's my desktop replacement, and as such is almost exclusively plugged in. I recently noticed that the battery indicator in the Windows (7) tray consistently read "61% plugged in and not charging", I thought this odd, so I disconnected the adapter, where the laptop immediately powered off. Before this I noticed no issues with the battery LED indicator.

Once I plugged it back in, and rebooted, it now reads "71% plugged in and charging", and has been exactly that for a couple weeks. Also, the battery LED indicator now flashes orange. If I safely power down the system, and remove the power adapter, then the computer will not power on. Absolutely no response until I plug it back in.

At first, I thought maybe it was just a miscalculation in the Windows battery monitoring software, but now I think the battery itself is just dead. I don't understand why Windows thinks I still have a charge though if that's the case.

My laptop is a few years old, and well past any warranty. As I said, I rarely use the computer without plugging it in anyway, so this isn't a huge deal for me, but I still wonder if it's not in fact a dead battery, that maybe there is something I can do about it. Hence my post.

Thanks for your help!

Pitcher@asus
07-24-2013, 02:53 AM
i think you battery is dead already, because when you unplug ac adapter it is ubable to power on even windows show 71%.

Drednot
07-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Thanks for replying so quickly.

That's what I figured. Is there any real problem with running the machine with a dead battery connected? Or should I disconnect the battery? How would I go about getting a new battery?

Also, if the battery has zero charge, why does it register as at 71%?

Thanks again!