PDA

View Full Version : Adding SSD DRIVE

hrmchan
08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Just purchased OCZ 60G SSD drive for G73SW-XA1.

Anyone know how to clone my boot partition and OS to the SSD?

If possible, just the BOOT information and not all the other junk.

Naits
08-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I believe the way you would do that, is to drag the OS over to the new SSD (not sure which files) I would like to know this myself too, since my G74SX will come with a 160gb ssd.. but I think you need the entire OS on the ssd though :)

xeromist
08-16-2011, 04:54 PM
You can use Clonezilla or something like Disk Director but be aware that you may have to shrink the partition on your HDD before it can be cloned to your SSD (usually smaller).

Area 66
08-16-2011, 06:24 PM
If possible, just the BOOT information and not all the other junk.

If you want eliminate the junk, the best is to reinstall your OS on the new SSD. After you can transfer what you want from the old hd in it. Myself I use Clonezilla when I have to absolutely save a software that I can reinstall, but I still prefer a fresh install.

hrmchan
08-17-2011, 06:48 AM
I believe the way you would do that, is to drag the OS over to the new SSD (not sure which files) I would like to know this myself too, since my G74SX will come with a 160gb ssd.. but I think you need the entire OS on the ssd though :)

Thanks .... but that sounds too easy, hoping you are right though. I was thinking that you had to do something like moving certain "system files" to the boot partition.

hrmchan
08-17-2011, 06:58 AM
You can use Clonezilla or something like Disk Director but be aware that you may have to shrink the partition on your HDD before it can be cloned to your SSD (usually smaller).

Thanks for your suggestion ... If Clonezilla a flexible disk utility? If its just an inflexible Image replicator ... yes it will have the negative symptom of building the new target partition the to the same size as the source partition with the bootable OS. But I could be wrong, since I'm not familier with Clonezilla. But thanks for the suggestion.

hrmchan
08-17-2011, 07:14 AM
If you want eliminate the junk, the best is to reinstall your OS on the new SSD. After you can transfer what you want from the old hd in it. Myself I use Clonezilla when I have to absolutely save a software that I can reinstall, but I still prefer a fresh install.

Thanks ... sounds like Clonezilla is a flexible Disk Utility and has tools to create Bootable Disk partitions .... THANKS ! I'll try that ..

Pyro411
08-17-2011, 03:12 PM
hrmchan if doing a flat clone of the partition to the new drive does not properly boot, you may have to do a bcdedit if a windows 7 disk will not automatically do the boot repair, if you're good with command line entry bcdedit while booted to a windows 7 dvd should be good to get you going, if not there are programs such as EasyBCD "Sorry I haven't used this yet" that should be able to find your windows install and automatically update the boot record on the drive for you.