PDA

View Full Version : Linux compatibility

iabiab
07-23-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm considering getting a G750JX in the very near future, with the intent to make it dual boot WIndows and linux (probably ubuntu, maybe arch). As I was searching for a new laptop, I came across the MSI GT60/70 lines, and was surprised to find they feature ethernet and wifi cards that apparently have no linux driver (bigfoot killers). This, of course, wouldn't do.

Before I commit myself to the G750JX, I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed linux on it, and if everything works as expected. Since linux will be my main OS, with Windows just for gaming, I don't want to have a nasty surprise after purchase...

Thanks for the feedback!

Impetusin
07-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I plan on doing this when I get my ASUS G750JX later on this week with Ubuntu/Windows dual boot and I'll make sure I post with my success/failures and any hardware issues I see along the way. Ubuntu should run it well though.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-24-2013, 02:10 AM
I am 98% sure this laptop has full functionality with ubuntu. Since it has no optimus the Graphics card will work perfectly.

iabiab
07-24-2013, 04:24 PM
I plan on doing this when I get my ASUS G750JX later on this week with Ubuntu/Windows dual boot and I'll make sure I post with my success/failures and any hardware issues I see along the way. Ubuntu should run it well though.

Great! I'm eager to find out how it goes for you.

iabiab
07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I am 98% sure this laptop has full functionality with ubuntu. Since it has no optimus the Graphics card will work perfectly.

Have you ever tried to boot a live-cd, to see how things fare?

iabiab
07-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Edited for double post.

iabiab
07-24-2013, 11:24 PM
But to install another OS won't you have to disable secure boot and enable CMS? wouldn't that kill the current Windows 8 installation and you would also have to go through the headache of doing a clean install for Windows 8 and embedding the built in product key in the bIOS via a PID.txt file?

Well, for me the real headache would be using windows as my main OS. I currently only use it (win7) for gaming, at least for the games not (yet) on Steam for Linux, and I have no plan whatsoever to be stuck with windows for any other task.
Fortunately, Ubuntu and other distributions seem to support Secure Boot now.

EpIcSnIpErZ23
07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Yea, i would just disabled secure boot all together. Dual boot Win 7 and Ubuntu. I've researched and most of the components are compatible with linux. Idk about the wifi card tho.

tannerml
07-25-2013, 12:12 AM
I have a G750JW. I installed Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit but I had to load the "Run Linux without installing" option first and then install from there. When I tried to install it directly X crashed and dumped me to a black screen. Once install I had to look for a Wifi driver that worked as the 3rd party driver did not. Trying to install the 3rd party driver during the Ubuntu install caused it to get stuck. I was able to get the Wifi working afterward by folliowing the instructions at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1173761/comments/29.

I have 2 remaining issues... I cannot change the display brightness and I cannot use the right mouse button. I think I'll be able to overcome these eventually though.

tannerml
07-25-2013, 03:03 AM
The elantech touchpad responds to a two-fingered click as a right click. I can live with that.

iabiab
07-25-2013, 05:40 AM
I have a G750JW. I installed Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit but I had to load the "Run Linux without installing" option first and then install from there. When I tried to install it directly X crashed and dumped me to a black screen. Once install I had to look for a Wifi driver that worked as the 3rd party driver did not. Trying to install the 3rd party driver during the Ubuntu install caused it to get stuck. I was able to get the Wifi working afterward by folliowing the instructions at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1173761/comments/29.

I have 2 remaining issues... I cannot change the display brightness and I cannot use the right mouse button. I think I'll be able to overcome these eventually though.

Thanks for the info. No right mouse button? Now that I did not expect...

tului
07-25-2013, 10:00 AM
But to install another OS won't you have to disable secure boot and enable CMS? wouldn't that kill the current Windows 8 installation and you would also have to go through the headache of doing a clean install for Windows 8 and embedding the built in product key in the bIOS via a PID.txt file?

I disabled secure and enabled CSM. My default install(still using the same install it came out of the box with) of Windows is still running fine. Even with the 3.9 kernel from SystemRescueCD, the wifi and ethernet were not working. I did't look into fixing them. I was just seeing how it worked.

Zygomorphic
07-26-2013, 01:29 AM
For changing the display brightness, that is an issue with the nouveau/nVidia driver. Most versions of the nVidia driver are targetted at the desktop market, and so do not support (At least until recently) the ability to change the display brightness.

For the WiFi and Ethernet issues, please post the output of the following command (run at the terminal):
"lspci"

iabiab
07-31-2013, 09:14 PM

Ok, so I ended up getting the G750JX, and I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 64bit as well, and had the same experience you did. It was my first time dealing with UEFI, and Windows 8, and they were both worse than expected.
Ubuntu install was a little more complicated than usual, since unetbootin (which I usually use to make a live usb stick) did not actually work (grub prompt on boot), although something called Rufus got me a usable media.
All in all, booting the laptop first on Win8 convinced me that a dual boot was the only healthy thing to do. Before, I gave Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, and thought all the bad feedback was because of people reacting negatively to change. It turns out Win8 actually is surprisingly bad. It feels like they were trying to do something, then remembered they had some old stuff to keep, then decided to stop everything and just get it out.
So, really glad I got Ubuntu installed, thanks for all the feedback!

Nemros
08-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Ok, so I ended up getting the G750JX, and I've installed Ubuntu 13.04 64bit as well, and had the same experience you did. It was my first time dealing with UEFI, and Windows 8, and they were both worse than expected.
Ubuntu install was a little more complicated than usual, since unetbootin (which I usually use to make a live usb stick) did not actually work (grub prompt on boot), although something called Rufus got me a usable media.
All in all, booting the laptop first on Win8 convinced me that a dual boot was the only healthy thing to do. Before, I gave Microsoft the benefit of the doubt, and thought all the bad feedback was because of people reacting negatively to change. It turns out Win8 actually is surprisingly bad. It feels like they were trying to do something, then remembered they had some old stuff to keep, then decided to stop everything and just get it out.
So, really glad I got Ubuntu installed, thanks for all the feedback!

I concur with you. Getting Windows + Linux was a hassle (EFI boot). I'm running Fedora 19 and I've had wifi problems (fixed with the link someone gave i a previous post, refixed in kernel 3.10).

To list problems for people to know:
- LAN driver - Fixed in kernel 3.10
- Wifi driver (Broadcom) - Use the above code, look for changes for kernel 3.10 (i manually modified the code as it did not compile)
- Screen brightness - with NVIDIA drivers nothing happens
- Keyboard backlight - Sometimes it's on, mostly it's off (doesn't work)
- Touchpad - left click behaves randomly as either left or right click. Right doesn't work at all. I don't use tapping as I type a lot and i can "missclick"

Windows 8 problems:
- Wifi driver - through installed (no problems shown) it did not work until I got it to update stuff

The good about linux:
- Most things work out of the box
- Suspend works
- Opening the screen gets you out of suspend (nice!)

Hope it helps you guys.

Zygomorphic
08-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Fedora has always been bleeding-edge, hence some stuff doesn't always work. I will say that the NVIDIA drivers not support backlight brightness adjustment has been around for a long time, and was fixed in the latest version of the drivers. If Fedora isn't running the latest version (or one older), it won't work. At least, that's when I noticed that the brightness started working.

I'm still trying to get Gentoo working on my laptop (when I have the time to mess around...not much right now :(). I'm planning on trying a precompiled version of it (Sabayon) and seeing if that allows me to get the X server configured properly.

DukeWellington
09-06-2013, 06:35 AM

Was this under CSM or were you able to load it with UEFI enabled?

Edit: Nevermind.

Was able to install 12.04.3 over UEFI with secure boot enabled. But now I can't launch Windows 8 from GRUB because of secure boot and disabling doesnt help because of a device map error (device.map didn't even exist in /boot/grub/). Also, I can't change actions for the laptop lid in power options (because I have an external monitor and I'd like to keep the laptop closed), and the listing for power manager isn't there in gconf editor. Oh, and for some reason my USB peripherals have to be disconnected, then reconnected after a reboot. It's very annoying.

I guess I'll just have to wait for support to propagate for the ASUS G750JX gaming laptop before I try installing ubuntu again. Shame.

nocturnal
09-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Installed Archlinux on my G750jx. I wanted to keep secure boot, which may work out of the box on Fedora, Ubuntu and Mint (as they now come with signed boot loaders). Arch is however the only viable distro for me, and it now runs great. Using the Linux Foundation's Preloader + Gummiboot it was not so hard to get working. You can also use Shim, but then you need to sign your own files (and was just a bigger hassle imo).

BACKLIGHT:

Many have problems with this. I first tried nvidiabl but it did not work with this machine out of the box. I changed the source code, and got it working fine. However, I ended up using xbacklight instead, which works even better imo. It will not work with the Fn keys, but that is really no issue for me. The key backlight can be set manually as well (a kernel module can be loaded, and ten the fn-3+4 will work, but the increment is all wrong, and opposite).

Zygomorphic
09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Interesting. On my G53SX with LINUX Mint 14 (or 15), The Fn combinations work perfectly - and in the right direction. I have noticed that if the keyboard backlight goes off (computer sleeping), you have to decrement the backlight one step for it to come back on. You can then increment it back up to the maximum.

mikefaille
10-18-2013, 12:24 PM
hello ,
my touchpad ETPS / 2 Elantech v4 protocol using the same company as shown here: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/input/elantech.txt
and I have 2 implementation issue . either:
1 . the right button does not work . In fact, I could fix it in the kernel . ( I 'd like to commit in the trunk but I do not know how to do it ) .
2 . Sometimes, the left button is the right button . I must touch the touchpad and left clicj to make plays revive my left button as it should work. I suspect a problem with the implemetation of the protocol.

1 . The patch is here: http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux
This reactive patch button right . This right button is turn off in linux source code by someone who is using a Mac... For cons , I do not have a Mac and I have a touchpad with the same version of firmware is version 4. I try to automate the build with dkms but without success.
Regarding the DKMS , here's what I did ( not the tar.gz provided does not work and is more prepared exactly as I prepare here) :
- I created the folder /usr/src/psmouse-elantech-v7right
- I was looking for the official source of my kernel rpm and I copied the following folder of the source drivers/input/mouse to /usr/src/psmouse-elantech-v7right/src
- I created the following sources dkms file name /usr/src/psmouse-elantech-v7right/dkms.conf :
PACKAGE_NAME = " psmouse "
Package_version = " Elantech - v7right "
CLEAN = " rm- f * . * O "

BUILT_MODULE_NAME [0 ] = " psmouse "
MAKE [0 ] = " make-C $ M = $ kernel_source_dir dkms_tree/$ PACKAGE_NAME/$package_version/build/src/psmouse.ko "
BUILT_MODULE_LOCATION [0] = "src"
DEST_MODULE_LOCATION [0] = "/updates"

AUTOINSTALL = "yes [/code]
Only it comes to me as an error ( 0 module builted )

DKMS make.log for psmouse - Elantech - v7mike for kernel - 302.fc20.x86_64 3.11.5 (x86_64 )
Fri Oct. 18 2013 7:50:11 EDT
make: Entering directory `/ usr/src/kernels/3.11.5-302.fc20.x86_64 '
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/psmouse-base.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/synaptics.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/alps.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/elantech.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/logips2pp.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/lifebook.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/sentelic.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/trackpoint.o
**DC / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7m echo 0x02 | sudo dd of = debugike/build/src/cypress_ps2.o
**LD / var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7mike/build/src/psmouse.o
**MODPOST 0 modules
make: Leaving directory `/ usr/src/kernels/3.11.5-302.fc20.x86_64
I did a little research and I realized that psmouse is built statically into the kernel without a default module . It would be an error because DKMS DKMS needs not detect psmouse.ko as dynamic module ... Well, why I will not play in the kernel source and the builder ? Because that's what I want to avoid because it is long .... (but it works! ) . I 'd like to commit to the Linux Foundation. Maybe Fedora developers can help me integrate as soon as possible ? (I use Fedora 20 updates- testing # justsayin ')

2 . Regarding the second point I am trying to debug indeed the protocol of Elantech and I can not make a match of the debug module packets with source code or the protocol .
Just like that, to put an psmouse driver based on ( this is the case with most mice ) to debug , you must go to the following folder: /sys/bus/serio/drivers/psmouse/serio{1,2,3.4}/
and to

echo 0x02 | sudo dd of=debug

Anyway, to conclude, I would like to know where I can find a suitable spot aka wiki to document my laptop and my equipment .

Sincerely,
Michael

PS: @http://rog.asus.com admin : plz, fix code hightlight CSS ! ;-)
PS2 : I'm a french talker. My original post is there : http://forums.fedora-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=528384

gazzacbr
10-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi,
i just installed ubuntu 13.04 and with only minor problems its all working. after install it would not boot until i manually installed and set up grub
uefi is off for good now. i multiboot and really dont the hassle. mbr and acpi is good for me.
wifi and ethernet worked oob :)
touchpad working and 2 finger scrolling but not right click ) use a mouse always anyway)
fn key for keyboard backlight, volume, monitor switching and screen on/off working
screen brightness not working yet
disabled nouveau and installed latest nvidia driver direct from .run file for full resolution
still working on shutdown (or lack of) problems

sasikumardr
10-30-2013, 06:38 AM
I believe 2 finger tap acts as right click. It worked for me on 13.10 live mode

For screen brighness we need to add
acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor as kernel params

Prymaldark
10-31-2013, 05:10 AM
I believe 2 finger tap acts as right click. It worked for me on 13.10 live mode

This works for me as well with a Gentoo 3.10.7 kernel. xev also reports the three finger swipes into standard scroll and horizontal scroll buttons.

I do not have screen brightness, or half of the Fn+ keys, working... yet.
Fn+F1 (sleep) brings up a shutdown/logout menu in Xfce4, same as the power button.
Fn+F5/6 work to control the brightness slider, though the screen brightness does not actually change; still under investigation.
Fn+F7 works to shut off the internal screen, though I have not yet tried with the HDMI connected.
Fn+F10-12 work for the audio control as intended.

The mouse config I am about to call finished. I use a Logitech Unifying receiver with an M570 trackball, which finally works, mostly. The mouse needs to be unpaired, and re-paired, on each boot; after which it works beautifully.

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 06:51 AM
May be issue is with kernel. I am using ubuntu with kernel version 3.11 and most of functional key is working out of the box in case of ubuntu. Only have brightness issue(not able to control) and touch pad (right button not works). Other than that I am very happy with Ubuntu-Gnome 13.10

gazzacbr
10-31-2013, 07:22 AM
@sasikumardr: thanks for reply.
yes, the 2 finger tap works except that i normally have tap to click disabled as i use a mouse :)
i added the params to grub (and updated grub) and tried several other combinations but screen brightness didnt work.
i tried xbacklight but that also didnt work.

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 07:31 AM
I read some where that people solved backlight problem using this kernel param. But I am also not able to solve that after trying it yesterday. Will let you know once I find a solution..

Dr. Zchivago
10-31-2013, 05:11 PM
What if we could convince the admins to open a Linux folder for all of these scattered threads...

sasikumardr
10-31-2013, 05:54 PM
Yeah.. That would be good idea.. @Zygomorphic can put these in Linux group

Dr. Zchivago
10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
I debated with myself over starting a new thread, but I didn't know where to do it. (@Zygomorphic)

Can anyone help me get Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to run in Ubuntu 13.10?
I accidentally wiped the disk (and lost my Windows installation - yeah, lol), and since I have my desktop, I'd rather just keep Linux instead of re-partition and setup dual boot again.

Zygomorphic
11-01-2013, 01:25 AM
What if we could convince the admins to open a Linux folder for all of these scattered threads...
I'm an admin, I'll try to create a folder. If not, I'll get @MarshallR to do it. Stay tuned!

EDIT: Can't seem to do it. :( I'm PM'ing @MarshallR about it. If/when he creates it, I'll move all the threads.

sasikumardr
11-02-2013, 01:17 PM
@Zygomorphic any luck?

Zygomorphic
11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
@Zygomorphic any luck?
It's being discussed, we shall see. I cannot create it myself, so we'll see. If approved, we'll get a section, and I'll push everything into it. I understand both sides of it. We need to make sure that we have a serious following to warrant another sub-forum - so that we don't split stuff too finely.

mikefaille
11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
I can't wait to have a special place for Linux Gamers :cool:

mikefaille
11-05-2013, 04:37 PM
My last game on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/
It work very perfectly with my G750J combined with a Logitech mouse for gamer. :3

joebow1991
12-21-2013, 09:07 PM
Hey all, I just got myself a G750JH-DB71 two days ago and I've come to notice a few issues. First for background, I'm running Fedora 20 with the 3.12.5 kernel that I've compiled myself with the latest Nvidia proprietary driver installed. First as I've noticed that it's a known issue, has anyone found a way to patch the kernel / driver to get the mouse pad to work correctly? (enable right click). Second, I am only getting sound through the speaker / sub by the front left corner; from what I've read I think there's supposed to be a left and right speaker plus that sub but I haven't read anything definitive on it so would anyone be able to confirm this either way? Also, for the record I never even booted into Win8 as I installed F20 on first boot so I don't have a reference to whether it worked or not on win.. (lesson learned for next time lol). Anyway thank you in advance!

ThatGuy_ZA
12-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone know where I can find a retard proof guide to installing Ubuntu 12.04/13.xx on a G750?

joebow1991
12-21-2013, 09:20 PM
I haven't seen a guide specific to this laptop lol but other than secure boot it should be the same as anything else... Are you trying to dual boot or completely overwrite Windows? Also do you care about the recovery partition?

villiansv
12-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Hey all, I just got myself a G750JH-DB71 two days ago and I've come to notice a few issues. First for background, I'm running Fedora 20 with the 3.12.5 kernel that I've compiled myself with the latest Nvidia proprietary driver installed. First as I've noticed that it's a known issue, has anyone found a way to patch the kernel / driver to get the mouse pad to work correctly? (enable right click). Second, I am only getting sound through the speaker / sub by the front left corner; from what I've read I think there's supposed to be a left and right speaker plus that sub but I haven't read anything definitive on it so would anyone be able to confirm this either way? Also, for the record I never even booted into Win8 as I installed F20 on first boot so I don't have a reference to whether it worked or not on win.. (lesson learned for next time lol). Anyway thank you in advance!

The answer here - http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux - worked for me a few months ago in getting right-click working. That was in Arch, at the time with 3.11.x kernel, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you, or any other Linux distro.
Can't remember having issues with sound, and I don't have Linux running at the moment so I can't help there.

joebow1991
12-21-2013, 10:51 PM
The answer here - http://superuser.com/questions/619582/right-elantech-touchpad-button-not-working-in-linux - worked for me a few months ago in getting right-click working. That was in Arch, at the time with 3.11.x kernel, but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you, or any other Linux distro.
Can't remember having issues with sound, and I don't have Linux running at the moment so I can't help there.

Thank you so much, it's definitely on the right track but it still fails telling me to check the log which says:
DKMS make.log for psmouse-elantech-v7right for kernel 3.12.5 (x86_64)

Sat Dec 21 17:50:40 EST 2013
make: Entering directory `/home/joe/3.12.5/linux-3.12.5'
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/psmouse-base.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/synaptics.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/alps.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/elantech.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/logips2pp.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/lifebook.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/sentelic.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/trackpoint.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/cypress_ps2.o
LD /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/psmouse.o
MODPOST 0 modules
make: Leaving directory `/home/joe/3.12.5/linux-3.12.5'

As of right now I am trying to manually enter the code into the file... does the "fix" replace code in the file or just add to the bottom? I'm currently unable to locate where to add it lol--- noob moment haha. Anyway thank you for your help!

villiansv
12-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Thank you so much, it's definitely on the right track but it still fails telling me to check the log which says:
DKMS make.log for psmouse-elantech-v7right for kernel 3.12.5 (x86_64)

Sat Dec 21 17:50:40 EST 2013
make: Entering directory `/home/joe/3.12.5/linux-3.12.5'
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/psmouse-base.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/synaptics.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/alps.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/elantech.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/logips2pp.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/lifebook.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/sentelic.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/trackpoint.o
CC /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/cypress_ps2.o
LD /var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src/psmouse.o
MODPOST 0 modules
make: Leaving directory `/home/joe/3.12.5/linux-3.12.5'

As of right now I am trying to manually enter the code into the file... does the "fix" replace code in the file or just add to the bottom? I'm currently unable to locate where to add it lol--- noob moment haha. Anyway thank you for your help!

I just used the ready-to-use solution the poster there gave at the very end, I never actually applied the patch he suggested myself.

joebow1991
12-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Yea I tried that first but it fails at the command: sudo dkms install -m psmouse -v elantech-v7right
saying:

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area...
make KERNELRELEASE=3.12.5 -C /lib/modules/3.12.5/build M=/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/src psmouse.ko...
Error! Build of psmouse.ko failed for: 3.12.5 (x86_64)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/psmouse/elantech-v7right/build/ for more information.

My post right before this one is the log it's referring to but yea, that is why I am trying to apply it manually lol. Anyway I've made some progress... I just wish I understood the error a bit better since that would make it 10x easier to fix :p

villiansv
12-21-2013, 11:12 PM
I see what you mean. I don't see much in that log though. I'll see if I can get around to installing Arch again and test myself. You may want to check the Fedora forums in the meantime though, there may be specifics relating to dkms... afaik Fedora always implements cutting edge features, so it may behave oddly in cases. In any event, they'd know a lot more than I do, I'm just good at googling :-)

joebow1991
12-21-2013, 11:26 PM
hahaha where do you think I looked to first :) my post over there: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/37354/asus-rog-g750jh-right-click-not-working/ although that was before I found out this was driver related lol (should probably update the post). Also, for the record my best friend Google is how found this thread and that it was for sure driver related haha. Anyway thank you very much for your help so far... even with it not working yet it has gotten me A LOT closer to having it working correctly.

joebow1991
12-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Okay so I did get the mouse working, the Fedora 20 provided 3.12.5 kernel got pushed through yum and allowed the "ready to use" instructions to work. A couple steps failed due to them already being installed / enabled so I took a chance and just kept going with the steps and in the end it now works.... hurrayyyy one problem solved. I hope someone else will stumble on this and help them :p. Now there's just that pesky audio issue with sound from only one speaker, can anyone confirm whether or not the ROG G750JH is supposed to have three, two, or one speaker? I believe that it's supposed to have the traditional left, right and bass speaker, but I haven't found anywhere to confirm this. Anyway thanks again villiansv --anyway I can officially thank you or give you a thumbs up lol?

villiansv
12-22-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm glad you got it sorted mate. Your "thank you" is more than enough, don't worry about it :)

Zygomorphic
12-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Anyone know where I can find a retard proof guide to installing Ubuntu 12.04/13.xx on a G750?
Just download the installer ISO and put it on a flash drive with pendrivelinuxinstaller (Google it). Then boot the flash drive with Secure Boot disabled. Check to make sure that the HW is properly supported in the live USB mode. Then go back into Windows and make space for Ubuntu using the partitioning tool. Then boot the USB again and double-click on the installer. Follow the prompts, and you should be set! :)

gazzacbr
02-24-2014, 12:29 PM

good info, thanks. worked perfect on Linux Mint 16.
Also the xbacklight tip works fine, just assigned ctrl-F5 and ctrl-F6 for darker/lighter.
atheros ethernet, wifi, and also sound worked oob :)
so far much better than ubuntu (and also os x until the boot issue is resolved).

Tectas
05-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Hey, probably a dumb question, but did anyone manage to map xbacklight decrease/increase to the fn key combinations probably? Would also be nice to know if anyone managed to make the keyboard backlight value to stick between reboots.

These are more or less the only issues i got on my G750JX-T4070H with Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 driven by the 3.13.0-26-generic kernel (well, except of bluetooth, what is marginal bugging me), after i installed the wifi driver from the additional drivers interface and the nvidia propietary driver (tried the latest stable and beta from their website, but xserver freezes every now and then, so i reverted to 331 from the ubuntu repository, which works well, not perfect, but well [still some freezes every now and then, but way less]). UEFI + Secure Boot enabled btw, just had to turn off fast boot before installation.
Would be great if anyone could lend me a hand :)

Tectas
05-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Small update on screen brightness control with fn key combinations, this guide: http://lajackson2.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/g750jh-backlight-brightness/
seems to work pretty well (just the file at 1. is acpid.conf not only acpid and execute permissions have to be set at the script). Only downfall, it seems to be not working with the beta driver.

bekkra1
05-20-2014, 09:54 AM
As for generic Linux compatibility, I'd say this is a nice powerhouse.
Unfortunately, the system fails to deliver full I/O performance as only one port supports SATA3, the others run SATA2.

This is not an OS compatibility issue, but as usual, you get to see the problems in the system logs, while Windows just swallows them :D

I use Linux as my only OS on this machine. You can do that too.

The SATA problem is a clear (misleading) advertising problem - most people use the machine with a single drive, where full performance is achieved.

//

gazzacbr
05-20-2014, 05:43 PM
As for generic Linux compatibility, I'd say this is a nice powerhouse.
Unfortunately, the system fails to deliver full I/O performance as only one port supports SATA3, the others run SATA2.

This is not an OS compatibility issue, but as usual, you get to see the problems in the system logs, while Windows just swallows them :D

I use Linux as my only OS on this machine. You can do that too.

The SATA problem is a clear (misleading) advertising problem - most people use the machine with a single drive, where full performance is achieved.

//
hmm, what does this mean exactly?
i have 2 ssd's exactly the same inside the laptop and crystalmark test in windows show them both the same speed????

bekkra1
11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Ah, I apologize for responding wih such a delay.
Well, it turned out that my machine had a hardware error. A lightning fast RMA and service turnaround resulted in that both of my HDD ports support SATA3. The ODD port is not yet confirmed.
Still, the Q/A issue is somewhat valid as the computer had a hardware problem when first delivered.

The machine runs very nicely now, with brightness controls under Linux being the only real problem.

//

back2back2015
02-11-2015, 04:41 PM
hi t have a new G550J.

still haveing your problems.

ill be happy to get help grom you!!

10x

TrickOrTreat
02-12-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm considering getting a G750JX in the very near future, with the intent to make it dual boot WIndows and linux (probably ubuntu, maybe arch). As I was searching for a new laptop, I came across the MSI GT60/70 lines, and was surprised to find they feature ethernet and wifi cards that apparently have no linux driver (bigfoot killers). This, of course, wouldn't do.

Before I commit myself to the G750JX, I was wondering if anyone has successfully installed linux on it, and if everything works as expected. Since linux will be my main OS, with Windows just for gaming, I don't want to have a nasty surprise after purchase...

Thanks for the feedback!

I've successfully installed Linux ( Ubuntu 14.04 ) on my ASUS G750JX as a dual boot. My Windows 8 is on the primary SSD drive and the LINUX is on my secondary HD drive. The Linux was installed with my G750 with my hard drives configured with GPT partition and UEFI. After installing Ubuntu, I just made sure to install the NVidia drivers rather than using the standard Linux/Ubuntu drivers to have the laptop's inherent features working properly (e.g., hot buttons, display settings, etc...).

TrickOrTreat
02-12-2015, 09:22 PM
Ah, I apologize for responding wih such a delay.
Well, it turned out that my machine had a hardware error. A lightning fast RMA and service turnaround resulted in that both of my HDD ports support SATA3. The ODD port is not yet confirmed.
Still, the Q/A issue is somewhat valid as the computer had a hardware problem when first delivered.

The machine runs very nicely now, with brightness controls under Linux being the only real problem.

//

I will confirm that the ASUS G750( xx) ODD port does Not support SATA3 even if you purchase an ODD port HD/SSD caddy that supports SATA3 (SATA III). I know this from my own personal experience. I purchased one of the few reasonably priced caddy trays that supports SATA3 6Gbps speed (i.e., the ORICO L127SS SATAIII 2nd HDD/SSD Caddy Tray) and after installing, the G750's HD SATA controller will recognize that my HDD (WD Black Series) is SATA3 capable, but will only allow for SATA2 3Gbps speed. However, the G750's primary and secondary drives do support SATA3 6Gbps speed.