PDA

View Full Version : Asus G46VW (i5) or MSI GE40?

ericxd
07-24-2013, 05:23 AM
I am interested in these two but in Canada the cheapest I can find for G46 is 1000 while the MSI GE40 cost around 1300, tax not included. I use the game for school work, music and League of Legends. Which would you guys recommend for me? I do want the laptop to last me 3-4 years. The reason why I am considering the MSI as well is because my mentality is...maybe pay a little extra to last longer, but now do I really need it?

Also, can someone link me to how to downgrade to Windows 7?

LASTLY, is it true a new G46 is coming out in August already?!?! If so, should I just wait?

Vicodin
07-25-2013, 06:26 AM
The MSI is going to have a Haswell Processor, as well as a 760m vs a 660m. The 760m is substantially better, pretty much doubling the shader cores. To me the G46 is already outdated, so I would have to recommend the MSI at this time. Not to mention the MSI is going to have a better display as well. (1600x900 on MSI, 1366x768 on G46) It is really a no brainer from a performance standpoint.

Not trying to promote MSI, I personally would never buy one myself. I feel they are just ugly. The G46 is much more appealing in terms of design to me. If the only game you ever really play is League of Legends, the Asus G46 will run that on maxed out settings at steady 60fps. So keep that in mind. I would really like to see the G46 refreshed to Haswell and a GTX 765m. In time I am sure.

Djask
07-26-2013, 06:22 AM
I really love the design of the G series. MSI just looks like a chunk of metal with high end components jammed into it. Spec wise though, the MSI has a haswell CPU like Vicodin said and also the new Nvidia GPU.

Zalaz
08-09-2013, 07:02 AM
Make sure to check the GE 40 owner's lounge in regard to heat output. The MSI designs aren't known for having the best heat management compared ASUS, especially when we're talking about a 14" model.

A good question to ask is, will the heat levels get dangerously high in the GE 40 to the point where it ends up handicapping itself in certain games?

My concern stems from briefly owning and returning MSI's 15.6" GT60 2OD model due to the scary heat output.

Random GE 40 Newegg Review I pulled
"This thing gets hot. like really hot. like i would recommend a cooler pad if your gaming over a long period of time just to keep the temps down. Overclocking is not really an option until the stock cooling system is upgraded. It must just put out a lot of heat off of the 760 cause it has two solid copper heatpipes while the haswell i7 has only one. You might even be able to burn yourself off of the air getting pushed out of this thing."