PDA

View Full Version : G74 Backpack Selection

SLKStang
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
I've recently acquired my G74SX-XA1. I.E. I have no way of taking this thing anywhere... There are too few selections that will fit this behemoth, but I think I've narrowed it down to 3. My selection criteria was:

1) Large enough to fit the G74 comfortably
2) Additional capacity to carry books, clothing or other work stuff
3) Exterior water bottle holder
4) High Quality of materials
5) Somewhat muted looks

All 3 of my selections have their downsides. I'm deciding between:

Slappa MASK High Five (http://www.slappa.com/MASK-High-Five-Backpack) - Very costly

Everki Beacon (http://www.amazon.com/Everki-Backpack-Console-18-Inch-EKP117NBKCT/dp/B002WOBBVO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t) - No External water bottle holder

Targus XL (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpack-Designed-Notebooks-TXL617/dp/B0001EMM10/ref=pd_cp_e_2)

Open to other suggestions based on my criteria.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-- Steve

Chastity@ASUS
08-16-2011, 11:40 PM
With the Everki model, the G74 only fits one way, and some may not like that it reaches up to the zipper. Otherwise it's a great bag. The Targus it will fit very well, tho imo it needs a little additional padding. No experience with the SLAPPA, sorry.

SLKStang
08-17-2011, 06:59 PM
More padding for the laptop or more padding for the person carrying it?

xeromist
08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
More padding for the laptop or more padding for the person carrying it?

That might depend on the person. Some of my friends already have extra natural padding. ;)

Chastity@ASUS
08-17-2011, 10:51 PM
More padding for the laptop.

Roland3
08-18-2011, 12:34 AM
Anyone likes/hates the original Asus ROG backpack (for G73/G74). I wonder the padding in Asus ROG backpack is enough for G73/G74, or should I get a better one for traveling around?

reiyu
08-18-2011, 02:22 AM
i like the original bag that comes with g53/73. i use it for school too.

Xempt
08-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Just to toss this out there for you but I just got the Oakley Kitchen Sink packback for my G73SW. It doesn't fit in the notebook section only just by an inch but with the different shape of the G74 it might.

But what I do is put in in the main compartment of the backpack instead and place anything and everything else in the notebook side. The backpack has more than enough pockets and room to carry just about everything you'd need and it is also very comfortable to wear. I used it while I went up to Seattle from So. Cal and loved it. I had my G73 the whole time and had no compaints.

In the pack I was able to carry my G73, Power Adapter, iPod, Pens, iPhone, 2 jackets, 2 water bottles, and snacks without ever having it busting at the seams. And I still had room in the other side pocket.

Also if you're not sure about size just take your notebook with you and do a test fit right in the store, thats what I did before I purchased it. (if you have a store local)

Just another option for you.

arbison
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I just did some research I notice the G74 is slightly larger than the G73
The G74 does not fit the slappa mask high five, just off. I have asked them if they have anything else that fits
The Evereki beacon does not fit the G74 according to specs but I see the Evereki titan check does fit
If the targus xl does not have enough padding that is a big problem... the G74 really needs decent protection

I've recently acquired my G74SX-XA1. I.E. I have no way of taking this thing anywhere... There are too few selections that will fit this behemoth, but I think I've narrowed it down to 3. My selection criteria was:

1) Large enough to fit the G74 comfortably
2) Additional capacity to carry books, clothing or other work stuff
3) Exterior water bottle holder
4) High Quality of materials
5) Somewhat muted looks

All 3 of my selections have their downsides. I'm deciding between:

Slappa MASK High Five (http://www.slappa.com/MASK-High-Five-Backpack) - Very costly

Everki Beacon (http://www.amazon.com/Everki-Backpack-Console-18-Inch-EKP117NBKCT/dp/B002WOBBVO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t) - No External water bottle holder

Targus XL (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpack-Designed-Notebooks-TXL617/dp/B0001EMM10/ref=pd_cp_e_2)

Open to other suggestions based on my criteria.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

-- Steve

Wrstlr316
10-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Not sure which Targus XL you meant but I was assuming you meant the backpack, that is why I voted other as I like / own the Targus XL Messenger Bag.

Yahooligan
10-02-2011, 04:13 AM
This is what I ended up getting...

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/130230/Wenger-Pegasus-Computer-Backpack/

It doesn't fit into the notebook sleeve but fits in that section of the backpack and the bottom is still padded, I don't carry it around often so this works OK for me and has plenty of space. If you plan on taking the G74 everywhere then I probably wouldn't get it simply because the corners of the G74 are right up to the zipper.

irdmoose
10-02-2011, 06:50 AM
I own the Everki bag, and after having a close call with a near-fall to the concrete after some evasive driving... I chose to switch to the Slappa Kiken. I don't know about the MASK, but I absolutely love my Kiken and it holds my G73JW quite nicely. If you like a messenger-style bag, the Kiken is awesome. Otherwise I'd probably go with the MASK.

Boosted_R
10-02-2011, 08:47 AM
What about the Targus Voyager Backpack ? if not whats the best backpack for the G74 ?

Chastity@ASUS
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
It's a tight fit for the Everki Beacon, but you can get it to work.

xevilmx
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
I just did some research I notice the G74 is slightly larger than the G73
The G74 does not fit the slappa mask high five, just off. I have asked them if they have anything else that fits
The Evereki beacon does not fit the G74 according to specs but I see the Evereki titan check does fit
If the targus xl does not have enough padding that is a big problem... the G74 really needs decent protection

I found this thread while doing some Google research and would like to add some more info. I originally had bought the Everki Beacon backpack but the G74 won't fit properly, its a very tight squeeze. After reading this thread I decided to pull the trigger and buy the Everki Titan 18.4" backpack. This backpack is massive! It does fit the G74 nicely in a dedicated compartment w/ good padding, it also fits my CM SF-19 Strike Force Notebook Cooler! and still has lots of room for all my other cables and accessories. I would recommend this backpack to anyone with a G74.

Lismail0
11-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Ogio Squadron backpack will fit the g74. Ogio claims the squadron fits "most" 17'' laptops but I know that the g74 isn't like "most" laptops. Anyways it would be sweet if it fits because the bag is very cool looking.

Joseph322
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
My Asus G74SX-DH73-3D came with a Asus ROG backpack. It fits everything nicely. Not sure if this is what its offically called. But it says Asus on the front and ROG.

Jassper
11-16-2011, 02:58 AM
This is the bag that comes with the G74 (if you don't buy it at Best buy - which I don't recommend)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-Gamers-Backpack-Rucksack-Notebooks/dp/B003TF9BA8
However mine says ASUS on the front, it fits snugly and is good construction and comfortable to wear but not much room for other devices. Here are some others, http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5800-G74SX-Case&highlight=Case+links

This one will defiantly protect it - but no room for other stuff, http://www.pelican-case.com/1495-laptop-cases-by-pelican.html

I have wondered about this bag, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1188006&CatId=1786
but it appears to be poor quality, anyone have this bag?

waltermh
12-04-2011, 12:40 AM
I am debating between the inexpensive Targus XL and the expensive Everki Titan

I plan an around the world trip for about a year or more. I plan on walking alot, possibly with the backpack, so I really want a good amount of padding not just for the laptop but for my shoulders and back. It will be very much filled at times. The weight isnt an issue.
The G74 is not the most travel friendly laptop due to size but very happy with the puchase and it doesnt feel like it weighs much, so just a backpack issue.

I got the Targus XL messenger bag and it has no padding really. Not worth mentioning anyway.
I sadly cant find a store that sells the Targus XL backpack so that I can test it :(
Basically what I would like to ask here, for those who like the Targus XL
1) I hear some people say the laptop barely fits into the laptop compartment, will I really have to fight a little to zip it up? I prefer not to have the laptop pushing against the zipper.

2) How is the padding of the XL for the shoulder straps and back?
I assume its more padded than the Messenger back strap which isnt really at all, but how much padding? I really didnt like the cutting of the messenger strap into me, but I loved the feel of the Everki Beacon when I weighed it down and put it on.

Anyway, it sounds like I shouldnt care about saving $100 but I hate to spend on overkill, and the Targus looks like its slightly bigger than the Everki Titan also, which is useful, meaning less to hav to put in a second backpack that will be worn frontways.

AFSOC_Commando
12-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Anyone seen the Everki Titan? It looks perfect, but quite pricy... Considering I now have this laptop loaded the protection would be worth is. Has room for everything and up to a spot For my Asus Prime I have on preorder!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LMWP78/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?ie=UTF8&m=A1729W3053T57N

waltermh
12-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Yes, I know its only been 3 days but I am real curious about other peoples thoughs to my post just above here, and now seems 2 of us are curious.
Its one of the few bags that fits the G74 so I suspect somebody has bought the titan.

Though as with my previous post, the Targus XL I am still curious about, as in comparisons if possible on padding and how tight the laptop would be in there.

MPerni
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
This is the bag that comes with the G74 (if you don't buy it at Best buy - which I don't recommend)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Republic-Gamers-Backpack-Rucksack-Notebooks/dp/B003TF9BA8
However mine says ASUS on the front, it fits snugly and is good construction and comfortable to wear but not much room for other devices.

I bought it in B&H and the package include that bagpack. It fits inside, but very tight in the corners!
For me, it has enought room for others stuffs. When i returned to Argentina i put inside of the bagpack an external HD, an SSD, the asus mouse, a Logitech g930 headset, a perfume (in a ziploc bag, just in case hehe), my cellphone, all the cd+s+manuals, and all the cables+rechargers. Was like 9kg total and it handle it very well and comfortable to carry.
Now i just put the external HD and maybe the headset and itīs ok for me!! The only thing that worries me, itīs the upper corners that are to tight.

waltermh
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
This is sadly turning me toward the higher costing everki which seems to fit less tight.
I would prefer not to have the laptop pushing against the zipper.

But how is the padding on the Targus XL for the shoulder straps and back?

I could be walking many miles many days of the week in this for my travels and I know the Targus XL messenger bag has no padding on the shoulder straps pad and it cuts in a bit.

The everki Beacon I assume has as much padding as the Titan, which is alot, so I loved that about it, plus the adjustable straps which I think the titan still has.

Still, for $100 less, its more about the padding than anything, I am sure the room for the rest will be fine. I dont have much electronics to put in it.

xevilmx
12-08-2011, 01:52 AM
I am debating between the inexpensive Targus XL and the expensive Everki Titan

I plan an around the world trip for about a year or more. I plan on walking alot, possibly with the backpack, so I really want a good amount of padding not just for the laptop but for my shoulders and back. It will be very much filled at times. The weight isnt an issue.
The G74 is not the most travel friendly laptop due to size but very happy with the puchase and it doesnt feel like it weighs much, so just a backpack issue.

I got the Targus XL messenger bag and it has no padding really. Not worth mentioning anyway.
I sadly cant find a store that sells the Targus XL backpack so that I can test it :(
Basically what I would like to ask here, for those who like the Targus XL
1) I hear some people say the laptop barely fits into the laptop compartment, will I really have to fight a little to zip it up? I prefer not to have the laptop pushing against the zipper.

2) How is the padding of the XL for the shoulder straps and back?
I assume its more padded than the Messenger back strap which isnt really at all, but how much padding? I really didnt like the cutting of the messenger strap into me, but I loved the feel of the Everki Beacon when I weighed it down and put it on.

Anyway, it sounds like I shouldnt care about saving $100 but I hate to spend on overkill, and the Targus looks like its slightly bigger than the Everki Titan also, which is useful, meaning less to hav to put in a second backpack that will be worn frontways.

I've had my Asus G74SX along with my Everki Titan for a month now. I walk and take the bus to school and work almost everyday, I probably should have bought a car instead of a laptop, lol. I had the Everki Beacon for three months prior and it did serve me well until I got my G74 for my birthday, I just couldn't find a way to get my laptop to fit much less with my Xbox360 and all my other stuff... I fell in love with the Everki Titan almost instantly. The padding and 5 point strap system keeps my back and shoulders comfortable. It has tons of space and compartments for just about everything, I can carry all my school supplies, G74 and CM SF-19 cooling fan at the same time. I forgot to mention to OP that it does have an external water bottle holder. It still has a protective weather cover which came in handy with my Everki Beacon. Overall I'm very happy with my Titan it was worth the price, very high quality and functional backpack.

waltermh
12-08-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, seems I will suck it up and get the Titan.
I dont trust Targus with padding and I will be wearing this alot. And the 5 point strap system on the beacon was useful.

Though for those curious, Targus brand does have a good reputation and for its price it seems a solid brand. I know that besides the lack of padding the Messenger bag is well made, lots of practical pockets etc...

wanfeilwong
12-08-2011, 06:05 AM
If you're interested in messenger bags, I just got an Everki Advanced bag on amazon for around $47 shipped. fits my G74sx well and has a relatively slim profile. If you want more protection/pockets you could spend $130 for the everki lunar.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Nice! ilike that Lunar. One place has it for $99

kb0sdq
12-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I bought two bags from walmart that are made from swissgear for 17" laptops they work great http://www.walmart.com/ip/SwissGear-Sherpa-17-Double-Slimcase-Computer-Sleeve-Universal/15413069 44 bucks
Doug

Joshg403
01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
If there was any one backpack to buy for a G74SX laptop what would it be for under $70?

waltermh
01-01-2012, 08:39 PM
I dont remember if price was already said, but to be clear, the Targus XL messenger bag and backpack both retail around $70-80
I forget exact amount but I got the messenger bag used, like new, for $35 and you can find it under retail either way by looking around amazon or ebay. I think i saw the backpak also under $70
While I dont like the padding of targus xl items, they are very well made as far as durability (long lasting, handles wear well)
The XL I think just barely holds the G74 but its probably the lowest priced backpack or messenger bag that will hold it at the quality of build and with room for alot of other stuff.

clinthill98
01-02-2012, 01:08 AM
this should be a sticky

rmcsc
01-02-2012, 07:20 AM
That might depend on the person. Some of my friends already have extra natural padding. ;)

Thing with my padding is it isn't where my backpack goes. ;)

City Builder
01-02-2012, 10:39 AM
The Targus is a great backpack for this laptop. The laptop fits perfectly, plenty of padding in my opinion, and has lots of room for the power supply, clothing for a days hike, (or books if needed) water bottle exterior holder, and a place to put damp clothes so that they still get air and can sort of dry out a little bit (well, that's what I would use that area for anyway). Plus the whole thing is water resistant (it's got a sort of rubberized coating on all the enclosures.

I don't know if it's named the "XL" as I lost the tags that were on it, and only bought it last week while on a holiday away from home as the original bag that I bought was too much of a tight squeeze to just put the laptop and the power supply, felt it was putting too much pressure on the laptop.

Edit: Found it on the web, it's the Targus Citygear backpack
http://www.amazon.com/Targus-17-CityGear-Laptop-Backpack/dp/B004C0Z4IM

waltermh
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
hmm, nobody ever mentioned the citygear fitting a G74, its $20 more than the XL normally though with your link its currently the same price lol
So yeah, it looks nice.
But while I dont know anything about the citygear, the padding I mean on targus XLs is not for the laptop. Its the shoulder strap. Theres really no padding in this thing :(

Love Everki bags level of padding but they are very expensive. Though I did end up buying one from them since I will be traveling around alot, so padding is essential.

For people using these around town thicker padding isnt as important and citygear may be better padded than the XL, but I did look at pics just now and padding doesnt look too bad, especially for in city travel and there is City Builders testamonial :)

City Builder
01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
The one that I linked to is configured slightly different from mine, although they are both Citygear bags. On mine it's not quite so pocketized, in the sense that in the photos on the page that I linked, the area that has the strings attached, shows that there is a pocketing inside of it, this is where I would put damp clothes (swimsuit at the beach etc) since mine does not have this pocket, and the first pocket that shows the pens, is on the opposite side in my pocket, but otherwise looks like they are the same.

I'd have to say that the backpack padding for the laptop is no less nor any thicker than the rest of the backpacks that I checked out at that Frys store that day (I'd be crazy concerned if I dropped the whole backpack on the floor and think it would sustain damage, however a slight bump up against the car door I don't think would worry me), and since I never wear it as an actual backpack, the straps were not a concern for me (whereas the handle was, and it's a rubber round handgrip that appears to be somehow riveted into the backpack on mine - On the image in the link above it doesn't appear to have the big rivet that mine does), however after just checking it out a moment ago, (wearing it as a backpack), I'd be comfortable with it, if it had the strap for the chest. It has the loops for it, but I appear to be missing the strap, I'd have to guess that somebody came along and stole the strap in the store, or they're an optional item.

Never the less, I'd buy another one if I needed to for some reason.

Just wanted to try to clarify.

Edit: Also to note, that on my backpack is a small zippered compartment on the flap that is held by bungee string, I found this a great place to put my keys (easy to find) as well as loose change or a couple dollars for emergencies (like lost of stolen wallets). Overall there must be a difference in the ages of the bags, maybe mine is newer or older, don't really know, but they are carrying them through the same "name" so one maybe has to check out each one carefully to see if it's in the configuration that they would want and will suit them.

Also to note, I think that if I was really going to wear this as a backpack for extended periods of time and walking, that I would likely go to the local auto parts store and buy 2 sheepskin car seatbelt thingies. These sheepskin things open up on the long side with velcro and wrap around your cars seatbelt so that it makes the seat belt more comfortable to use, and I'd just slip them onto the padded straps to make them more comfortable since I have sensitive shoulders and neck. However it's not likely that I'd be using this as a real backpack for extended periods of time if at all (just because I don't have to)

Haand22
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey
I'm wondering if this (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpack-Designed-Laptops-CVR617/dp/B0029L9YHI/ref=pd_sim_e_8) will fit the g74 or if i should go for this (http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Backpack-Designed-Notebooks-TXL617/dp/B0001EMM10/ref=pd_cp_e_2) ? Or does anyone else have a suggestion for a cheap, smallest possible backpack that whould fit the g74?

thanks

Haand22
01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
hi again. I bought this (http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=482490) backpack and it works just fine for the g74. Nice padding. Alot smaller than the other options that i've seen. Cheap too!
I recommend;)

sennevdb
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
I bought an O'neill Bag that has a laptop part. It was the biggest bag they had in the store where I got it, but still a nice bag. Sadly, the G74 was too big to fit in it, as in the depth of it. I cut one side of the laptop part open, and it fitted perfectly. :)

MorBlade
01-14-2012, 02:14 AM
I was thinking of getting the ASUS ROG Shuttle Backpack, http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=4366 I figure I spent a bit for the G74 why not spend a bit to keep it safe its $109. Has anyone bought this one? If so is it built decently?
Thanks
MorBlade

Checked out the Targus Web site and they had this 17.3 bag. Id doesnt look bad either. For $99
Targus Demolition 17.3” Backpack http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=TSB220US&PageName=Backpacks%20for%20Laptops%20by%20Targus&productCategoryId=4&bucketTypeId=0&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=products&cp=&bannertxt=Backpacks%20for%20Laptops

VaporTrail
01-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Hmm... was doing some research on bags and decided to give the Targus Demolition a shot. My wife's had a Targus laptop bag for five years, and it's stood up quite well. Hopefully the backpack will show the same quality.

Though I'm ordering it through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YQY5TM/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details (at a savings of about 12% off the MSRP)

After one return of a different bag (claimed to fit 17"... and, well... at least the return process was fairly painless) with a similar look, I'm hoping this one works out. Will report in about a week on the fit.

XTR3M3
01-14-2012, 06:15 PM
does the targus cvr617 backpack fit it good cause i can get it from my supplier for 23$

SpasRocker
01-19-2012, 02:39 AM
I came to this thread a couple days ago when I received my G74. After checking on many of the suggestions, Slappa caught my eye. So I took a risk and bought the Slappa Kampus Duffle. http://www.slappa.com/KAMPUS-Duffle-Laptop-Backpacks_2 It just arrived today and I am relieved and anxious to tell you, IT's A PERFECT FIT! My first impression when I pulled it out of the box was that it looked a bit oversized and even though I bought the Black and Silver bag, it was shinier or more reflective than I thought it would be. No big deal on both issues. I quickly tested it out. I loaded it up with my G74 and threw it on my back. Once I put it on, I knew I made a good purchase. The bag is sufficiently padded. There is a logo pad for your back which is really comfortable. It has both a chest strap and a waist strap. There is a pocket on each side and a pocket in the middle. On the inside, the laptop pocket is nicely padded and has a flap that folds over. The flap has velcro but with the laptop inside, the velcro is just slightly out of reach so it does not fasten but no biggie. It still folds over the top just fine. There are 2 small pockets on the inside which could be great for my mouse, ipod, keys or maybe a wallet. With the laptop inside, the main pocket has plenty of room for maybe 2 days of clothes. The bag seals with a drawsting and another flap. The flap has a nice size pocket for quick access and it fastens to two clips. Which may be nice to put a jacket under or maybe a skateboard. Overall, I'm happy and the price was not too bad. I ordered directly from the site which at the time was cheaper than Amazon. When I ordered they also ask for your laptop size and send a thin protective (Canvas?) bag. It's nothing special but any extra protection is appreciated. I hope this helps!

VaporTrail
01-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Well, I got the Demolition. The backpack is nice enough, but the integral laptop sleeve is too small for the G74 frame. Though it fits just fine in the main compartment. I've decided to keep it, but please note, if you're thinking about this backpack that there is a metal zipper inside the main compartment that may scratch. I'm dealing with it by always putting the bottom of the laptop toward the zipper, and having more than just the laptop in the main compartment (ie textbook). So far it's working pretty good.

Overall, unless you really like the look of the Demolition, look elsewhere if you're looking to haul your G74 with perfect protection.

midihooker
01-27-2012, 02:35 PM
http://www.slappa.com/KAMPUS-Duffle-Laptop-Backpacks?sc=2&category=133

itīs cheep and i love the colors