PDA

View Full Version : G51J GTX260M not MXM

xinbyrnc
07-26-2013, 02:18 AM
I believe my gfx card is failing, as sometimes it is unable to even boot into safe mode now. I get the 'veritcal pinstripes' sometimes even in the ASUS expressgate OS. I have tried the latest drivers, rollback of the drivers, and nothing's stable.

Oddly enough, the gfx fails during mundane tasks - after I started getting failures, i could still play bioshock infinite for 4 hours no problem.

Anyway, I know ASUS is not MXM, so I would like to know how to go about buying a new ASUS ROG gfx card to replace this one.

If anyone could please help me, I would be very grateful.

Thank you for reading :)

Zygomorphic
07-27-2013, 01:37 AM
You will have to find someone who is selling the card from that computer on eBay. The problem is that ASUS uses a non-standard pinout on the card, which means that standard MXM cards will not fit, thus precluding a new upgrade.

Potentially, if ASUS hasn't changed the pinout (and I guess that they probably have), you could find someone who is selling the gfx card from a newer ROG notebook on eBay and use that.

Better yet, just put the money towards a new ROG computer. At this point, they are so much faster that it will be worth the investment.