PDA

View Full Version : G75VX-DH72-CA, No Wireless AC? How to make it work?

StrangerHacks
07-26-2013, 05:20 AM
I bought my G75VX-DH72-CA from FutureShop, ordering it was quite the headache, took over 2 weeks for it to arrive, they over charged the credit card by $480, and when I finally got the laptop and it's French.. At least the sticker by the trackpad is all in French, the OS still installed in english. I have always had this laptop with a wired in connection and never really tested my wireless to it's fullest, however, it says it's connecting to my DIR-865L (Dual Band Wireless AC Router) in Wireless N.

Is there some setting to turn Wireless AC on? I only bought this model because the FutureShop website said it was Wireless AC and I can't figure out how to get it working. I would have bought the cheaper G75VW alternative with Wireless N if I knew Wireless AC was going to be such a headache to try to figure out.

I looked over the router settings and everything seems to be fine, I don't know why this laptop isn't working but after a quick google search I can't find anything now that tells me this laptop is Wireless AC.

Was I just swindled by FutureShop? I am positive their website said Wireless AC, I even printed out the listing to make sure when I brought it in to show them which one I wanted to order. The Best Buy website that I price matched also said Wireless AC.

I'm getting a little worried about this. Is there some kind of "test everything in my computer" feature just to make sure it's all the way it was advertised? It also said it comes with a Blu-Ray Writer, but the French sticker on it only says 6x Blu-Ray

How can I test this to make sure it is a Blu-Ray writer and it really has Wireless AC like advertised when I bought it?

EDIT:
It says Blu-Ray Writer and Wireless AC but the sticker on the laptop only says Blu-Ray and I can't conect to Wireless AC.. Hmm..
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/asus-asus-17-3-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-3630qm-256gb-ssd-500gb-hdd-16gb-ram-windows-8-english-g75vx-dh72-ca/10243106.aspx?path=f601b62589f29bcae2ec21982d70fc3 8en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Clintlgm
07-26-2013, 04:02 PM
I would install Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php), run it and look in the hardware section to see what you actual have installed. Then if you didn't get what you paid for you can deal with your vendor.

StrangerHacks
08-09-2013, 04:05 AM
I would install Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php), run it and look in the hardware section to see what you actual have installed.

I ran it, and it says I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter. I tried googling it and can't find much on what frequencies it connects too but I did find two other threads of people not being able to conect to 5GHz channels with their G75VW (Wireless N) but I got the G75VW (Wireless AC).

So if I'm correct, does this mean the Wireless AC network card in this only connects to Wireless AC on a 2.4GHz band? Because my router only goes up to Wireless N on 2.4GHz, Wireless AC is only on the 5GHz band. Does this mean I need to replace my WiFi card?

FutureShop was not able to explain why I received a french laptop as they claim to not even offer one. They asked me to bring in my laptop just to be sure but I don't trust them touching it after the 3 week headache I was put through.

Should I just cut my losses and try to find a new WiFi card for this that supports 5GHz Wireless AC?

Hwinfo64 (http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php)

EDIT:
Is the Intel 7260 Wireless AC + Bluetooth (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/wireless-products/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth.html) worth it? It's like $35 from Amazon. Is it supported for my G75VX?
2.4GHz, 5GHz, and even 80GHz bands are supported, improved battery life over other WiFi cards, supports Wireless AC on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, and it's only $35.. It just seems like it's too good to be true, anyone else test this card on a G75?

StrangerHacks
03-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I went ahead and bought the Intel 7260 anyways, it's a dual antenna (one side wifi, the other side bluetooth) which is the same style setup the card in the laptop. I took the laptop all apart and these new G75 are a lot more difficult to change the wifi card compaired to the G73 or G74.

I did a speed test on the old card, something around 25Mbps download, got the new card in, ran another speed test, it was something around 94Mbps, I ran anther speed test using ethernet and it was nearly identical to the 5GHz Wireless AC of the new Intel 7260. I gotta say this car is amazing.

All you gotta do is uninstall any Wifi or bluetooth drivers before you remove the old card, install the new one, and when you turn it on, just have ethernet hooked up until it finds the new drivers and it's good to go. It was almost a full success right out of the box. Best $35 ever spent lol

As for the old Wifi Card, it's a AzureWave AW-NB097H which is an OEM card for ASUS only, it is no 5GHz, and it is NOT Wireless AC like I was told from FutureShop. This is the last laptop I am buying from them.

But for anyone that is wondering, the ASUS G75VW-DH72-CA comes with an AzureWave AW-NB097H Wifi card that runs in wireless n on 2.4GHz. Don't be fooled by FutureShop.

The best upgrade you can do is buy the Intel 7260 for around $35 from Amazon, it's a direct swap, works amazing, and despite a little bit of work getting it installed, it really wasn't that hard, you just need to take your time. Total install from start to finish took me around an hour and a half.

I'll upload pictures of the install later, they're on my phone right now.

bioangel
03-08-2014, 01:21 AM
down side is i think this voids warranty