PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Memory to 16Gs - Is it HARD???

hrmchan
08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Is it as hard as some people say, to go from 8G to 16G??

Chastity@ASUS
08-17-2011, 04:53 PM
If your RAM modules are 2x 4GB, then no. If you have 4x 2GB, then you'll need to do a disassembly to get to the underside.

hrmchan
08-18-2011, 07:27 AM
I want to get to 16g for my G73SW-XA1.

So I'll assume that 4x4g will require getting to the underside .... Oh Poop !

I saw a You-Tube vid and it was very hard to just watch.

Xempt
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
On this same topic where is the forth memory stick slot?

From the video on youtube I saw the one (1) under the keyboard, two (2) under the main back cover but there were no good views of the forth slot.

Pyro411
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
If the SW is situated the same as the JH the Slot 1,2,4 are under the panel near the hard drives where as slot 3 is under the keyboard which requires you to mostly disassemble the system to get past the shielding but it's a relatively easy process so do not fret over it if you have a good set of precision screw drivers with a good hand grip on them. From unpackaging the ram to full re-assembly of the laptop depending on how much experience you have with working on laptops the whole process will take 20-45 minutes.

One thing you will have to watch out for that I found on the G73JH is they used double sided tape between the shield plate and keyboard to help hold it down so you do need to be careful on that portion as to not damage your keyboard.

Xempt
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
So for slot 4 does that mean the hard drive need to be removed to reach it?

jorlanm
08-19-2011, 05:52 AM
If the SW is situated the same as the JH the Slot 1,2,4 are under the panel near the hard drives where as slot 3 is under the keyboard which requires you to mostly disassemble the system to get past the shielding but it's a relatively easy process so do not fret over it if you have a good set of precision screw drivers with a good hand grip on them. From unpackaging the ram to full re-assembly of the laptop depending on how much experience you have with working on laptops the whole process will take 20-45 minutes.

One thing you will have to watch out for that I found on the G73JH is they used double sided tape between the shield plate and keyboard to help hold it down so you do need to be careful on that portion as to not damage your keyboard.

the J's are easier they got 3 slots on the bottom...the S series is harder cause there are only 2 on the bottom

colejd
08-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I upgraded to 16GB with the Hyperx PNP on my G73Sw and it has 2 slots under the panel and two under the keyboard. To get to the slots under the keyboard you have to disassemble it to get to them. Be careful when removing the keyboard because its attached real well. Don't forget the ribbon cables too. The video about disassembling it will help with the rest.