PDA

View Full Version : SSD noise

The Thing
07-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi there!

Does anyone have a king**** 120gb ssd? Mine is such a ****ty thing. It makes a noise like ticking and affects my fans. Dunno how, but I am sure it's the ssd. I will uninstall it and prolly go with the hdd only....meh. So, anyone experiencing such problems?

LLothar
07-26-2013, 03:23 PM
SSD does not have a single moving part in it. It is impossible for it to make any noise...

The Thing
07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
I know but I removed the ssd and the noise disappeared..so it was the ssd . I'll prolly rma it and never mess up with ssds...HDD FOR THE WIN!:D

Zebeyo
07-26-2013, 03:43 PM
SSD does not have a single moving part in it. It is impossible for it to make any noise...

This. Maybe an electrical hum but a ticking sounds should not be possible. I would suspect the SSD as the last thing in my system for the symptoms you are describing.

Clintlgm
07-26-2013, 03:55 PM
Disagree, SSD are the best fastest you just need to get the top of the line ones, Samsung 940 Pro, even the 940 and 930 are great, Intel 520 etc Even the last generation of SSD are 2 to 3 times faster than the fastest HD's.
Optimum size is 250 GB for an OS drive.

The Thing
07-26-2013, 04:04 PM
I know, but I've had plenty of HDDs and none made my day a nightmare like this ssd. I'll stick to the old ones..

Anvirol
07-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Just see previous posts from "The Thing"... If only I had forum moderator privileges..

I'm not sure if you're trolling or not, but can you keep your issues to a single thread? I doubt the SSD can produce any noise, but faulty VRMs could do it.

The Thing
07-26-2013, 05:42 PM
errm dude, I make different threads because I have different topics. Like, ofc when people see SSD problems, they don't expect keyboard issues, right? Every problem has it's place lol. Or at least that's how I think.

Shawnnepc
07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
It actually sounds like your SSD is arcing for some reason. That'd really be the only way to describe the ticking sound.

If that's the case you need to remove that SSD immediately(As it could pose a shock hazard) and contact ASUS for a replacement.

The Thing
07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
God, finally an answer. Well, I've only had this SSD for like 1 day or so. I'll prolly remove it tomorrow, stay on my HDD and see if I hear those clickings again. Until then...we'll see:D . Gotta find a screwdriver to fit the screws :D

The Thing
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Can someone tell me where is the HDD in this laptop? I put my ear near the touchpad ( right side ) and I hear that clicking noise. Also if I try to pull the laptop upwards from the front, the noise comes again.

Now, regarding my temps: is it ok if I have 50-55 c on cpu when idle? gpu is at 40-42c . I made an Intel test in xtu and the cpu never exceeded 77c.

Shawnnepc
07-26-2013, 07:53 PM
Can someone tell me where is the HDD in this laptop? I put my ear near the touchpad ( right side ) and I hear that clicking noise. Also if I try to pull the laptop upwards from the front, the noise comes again.

Now, regarding my temps: is it ok if I have 50-55 c on cpu when idle? gpu is at 40-42c . I made an Intel test in xtu and the cpu never exceeded 77c.

In that case it sounds like the Hard Drive.

Clintlgm
07-26-2013, 08:08 PM
I guess you have just been lucky with hard drives, as they have caused me many a bad day over the years.

The Thing
07-26-2013, 08:13 PM
Yeah I was...kind of. I remember I've had a Seagate hdd 500gb ( dunno the other details ) and that hdd got burned by an electric surge....that was the first thing I've bought with my own money....^_^ too bad. Still, the question regarding the temps is still available :D

Clintlgm
07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
You stated earlier that you removed the SSD and the noise went away? So if you have a SSD and a Hard Drive, the hard drive would be right next to the SSD. Screws should be use a small Philips screwdriver, the same one you used to remove the SSD Earlier.

The Thing
07-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Yeh but then it came back...that's why I started posting about this again and apparently it's the HDD which I don't care about...it's under warranty and I simply don't care ^_^