PDA

View Full Version : G46 Graphics Problem

WWtrain
07-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I just purchased the G46VW at BestBuy two days ago and really like it. However, I am having problems with my graphics. When I first turned on the computer, I installed the Windows updates, and updated the NVidia driver to the latest one. I then tried to run the Windows experience rating and got a bsod. (Windows 8 doesn't give you much info there!) When the computer rebooted I tried playing Minecraft and after a minute of gameplay, the Minecraft window turned unresponsive and white and I got the message that my display driver had stopped working and recovered. I have to open the task manager and force quit java quickly or I will also get a bsod. It appears that when the graphics driver recovers, it just stops working again. I tried reverting the driver back to a earlier version, but that did nothing to help. I went to the NVidia Control Panel and the rotating logo there renders properly and doesn't crash the driver, and if I set the preferred graphics driver to the high performance graphics, I don't get any errors when not using Minecraft. Does anyone have any ideas to what is happening? I bought the laptop because of it's dedicated graphics card, it is disappointing that it isn't working.

BTW, I am not really a gamer and the only game I have is Minecraft.

dclanz
07-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Try updating to the latest Nvidia Graphic drivers here http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win8-win7-64bit-320.49-whql-driver.html :)

WWtrain
07-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks for responding. I tried updating to the latest driver, but the problem still exists. I read online that creating a DWORD registry key named TdrDelay in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers set to 8 fixes the problem, as it increases the delay that the graphics card can be unresponsive. I have not tried it yet, but wanted to see if it was advised. Thanks for your help!

dclanz
07-31-2013, 12:00 PM
You are welcome. :) Let us know if it works as your solution may be beneficial to others and welcome to the forums!

WWtrain
07-31-2013, 01:09 PM
After playing a lot, I found out that this doesn't exactly fix the problem. Instead of getting the "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" message after playing for about 1 minute, I can now play for about an hour before Minecraft lags hard and the display driver stops responding. I can play, but it isn't a perfect solution. Does anyone have any ideas that would get rid of the problem completely? Thanks.

Joystick
07-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Did you try a crash dump analysis, e.g. Whocrashed (http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed)?

WWtrain
07-31-2013, 09:55 PM
No, because the computer doesn't crash. A popup in the bottom right hand corner gives me the message that "Your display driver stopped working and has recovered." I tried running Whocrashed, and it told me nothing could be found. Thanks.

alepodj
08-01-2013, 12:17 AM
im having some graphics issues too,,, that was happening to me i updated the drivers, but i got something else.
Im playing crysis 3 at 50fps minimum settings and fraps open in the background, and my fps are droping from 50 to 12 and back to 50 every 10seconds, like a loop the game goes fast and the slow the fast and the slow,,, its tiresome and anoying, any ideas?

Joystick
08-01-2013, 02:02 AM
The computer doesn't crash yet, but you had a bsod, so you should be able to read the dump file. Maybe Whocrashed was not the best suggestion, try BlueScreenView (http://download.cnet.com/BlueScreenView/3000-2094_4-10965136.html).
A few months ago, after a big Windows update, I had random bsod on an old laptop. Graphics card was crashing. It was the firewall.

WWtrain
08-01-2013, 11:48 AM
So this is weird. I tried BlueScreenView, but it reports 0 crashes. I received a bsod twice six days ago. Maybe something erased the dump files?

Tsuki
08-01-2013, 05:27 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 should fix display driver not working crashes/freezes. simple fix, hope it helps.

As for chopping up in games after a while, make sure your power settings are set to high in windows. More importantly, open nvidia control panel 3d settings and under manage 3d settings you have two options:

1) create a profile under the program settings tab (click add, add your game) and under the settings for "Power Management Mode" select "Prefer maximum power", and save it.

2) under global settings, set "Power Management Mode" to "Prefer maximum power"

the first option will keep your game running smoothly for as long as you want, by keeping the clock speeds and power consumption at the max level your game requires

the second option will do the same but even when you aren't gaming, so if you're worried about power consumption i'd go with the first option.

Hope this helps :)

WWtrain
08-01-2013, 10:54 PM
I have already done what that link instructed. I changed the power management mode to prefer maximum power, but that did not solve the issue.

I tried playing Minecraft again and this time when it crashed I received a different result. First, when Minecraft froze/crashed, I could still see my world, but the color was very yellow. Usually the entire window turns white and I cannot see my world anymore. Also, instead of a popup saying that "Your graphics driver stopped working and recovered" I received a popup saying that java.exe has been blocked from accessing the graphics hardware. Minecraft also closed itself instead of me having to go to the task manager and end task java.exe. A dialog box popped up asking if I would like to go to: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007. I pasted the problem details in the Action center below, don't know if they are any help.

Source
Windows

Summary
Video hardware error

Date
‎8/‎1/‎2013 6:35 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: 142
BCP1: FFFFFA80073FD4D0
BCP2: FFFFF880045EEE30
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000001078
OS Version: 6_2_9200
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
Bucket ID: 0x142_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

No bsod or anything else. If there are any other logs or error things I should be checking, please let me know. This problem is getting frustrating. I really like the computer and it preforms well when I am not trying to use the graphics card! Thanks.

Tsuki
08-02-2013, 05:00 AM
We're getting there, we have more info now :) this is good.

Definitely a gfx issue. are you using 32 or 64bit Java? I think just uninstall and reinstall it. I think you've already messed with the gfx drivers but theres a new beta set out you can try thats pretty good and has been performance increasing for the newer cards. 660/670 should benefit from it.

Thats really all you can try for now.

WWtrain
08-02-2013, 11:32 AM
I have both 32 and 64 bit java installed. Maybe that is the problem? The computer is running 64 bit Windows. Which one should I use? I don't have time to test this for a few days, but will definitely try it when I get the chance! Thanks.

Tsuki
08-02-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't play minecraft so I'm not sure if 32bit required for that or not. If its not, and you don't have any other dependencies on it, I would remove them both and do a fresh install of 64bit only and see how that works out. Its worth noting I began freezing completely and not producing a dump to get a crash report about a month ago while just browsing w/firefox. After I installed the new beta drivers and did the MS fix for gfx timeout I don't freeze/lockup/crash anymore. Maybe the beta drivers can help you too.

WWtrain
08-09-2013, 02:30 AM
So I haven't tried the beta drivers yet, but I have been playing on and off for a few hours the past few days and have not had an issue. I don't think Java is the problem, I think that it is something with my graphics card. Once when I was playing my screen flashed blue for a few milliseconds as if I got a bsod but then just returned to normal and I could continue playing. However, tonight I was trying to play Minecraft and couldn't, because it crashed after a few minutes. I also tried to use MCEdit and could not use that either. I managed to hit prtsc so here is a screenshot. I just started it up, didn't load a world or anything, just clicked on create. Its funny because I had just been using MCEdit a few hours before this for a while and had no problems.

WWtrain
08-09-2013, 02:50 AM
So right as I was writing the above post, I got a bsod (Good thing for autosave!). Internet Explorer was the only app open, but Minecraft and MCEdit had both just crashed a few minutes beforehand. The gpu meter on the taskbar reported that there was no activity. So I looked at BlueScreenView. I am not sure how you like things like this posted, so I will try my best. I have no clue what it means. Thanks for helping me decode this!

Dump file: 080813-25921-01.dmp
Crash time: 8/8/2013 10:26:11 PM
Bug check string: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check code: 0x0000003b
Parameter 1: 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2: fffff802`0bf32be2
Parameter 3: fffff880`1a20cb70
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000000
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Caused by address: ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Processor: x64
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Full Path: C:\Windows\Minidump\080813-25921-01.dmp
Processors count: 4
Major version: 15
Minor version: 9200
Dump file size: 305,496
Dump file time: 8/8/2013 10:27:43 PM

Tsuki
08-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Hey sorry for the long delay in getting back. About to ask some questions, Its not my intention to make them sound patronizing but 0x3b bug check can be broad spectrum. There is a hotfix for it but I am not confident that you can use it with windows 8.

Are you using firewire?
please uninstall the nvidia driver reboot then install a different version (try the beta ones)
is it possible you can zip a few of your dump files and upload them/link them here?
you can try this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980932 I have doubts if it can be used with windows 8 though.

I will keep trying for a solution for you! :)

WWtrain
08-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for replying! No, I am not using firewire. I attached the only dump file.

I read some advice to run sfc /scannow in the command prompt, so I tried it, but got a lot of errors. Here is what the command prompt said, and I will post the CBS logs later if you wanted to look at them.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios.

The system file repair changes will take effect after the next reboot.

C:\Windows\system32>

Also, I read about using a utility named DriverSweeper after uninstalling the video driver, would you recommend me do that? Thanks so much for your help!

Tsuki
08-10-2013, 10:26 PM
For some reason when I try to open your attachment it redirects me to this. :(

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

So you were only able to ever produce the one dump file, is that right? Other crashes just lockup/freeze?

As for the CBS file you can just look at it in notepad and try to replace whatever files it's complaining about, It may or may not be attributing to your crashes though, but replacing corrupted files won't hurt. You can use driversweeper if you want but its not as bad as old ati drivers used to be. With nvidia, once you uninstall/reboot they're usually gone. What I do is; download the drivers I want from nvidia, uninstall current ones from device managers, reboot, then install the ones I downloaded previously.

I looked up 0x3b from a windows 8 only query and there was some interesting info regarding a windows update patch that lead to the crashes. Look in your installed updates for "KB2778344 " (Control panel>programs/features>Installed updates) if it is there remove it. Try furmark or heavy gaming to reproduce the crash for a few days, if not crashes I think you'll be good :)

WWtrain
08-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Sorry about the attachment, it should be fixed now: 24797

I have only had one dump file created, the other crashes don't give me a bsod, they just crash the program that is using the GPU and gives a message that it crashed.

The CBS file seems to be a bit weird, it seems to have complained about every file. There are 188,590 lines from the sfc which makes it 60.5 MB! I will try to upload it, but it is too large to post here so I will have to post it on another site and link it.

I don't have KB2778344 installed, so, unfortunately that is not the problem. I will install the new beta driver tomorrow when I have some time to mess around with it so I will report if that helps then. Thanks so much for your help!

WWtrain
08-11-2013, 10:34 PM
So I tried to install the 326.41 beta drivers, but it didn't go too smoothly. After I downloaded the beta driver, I went to the control panel and uninstalled the NVidia graphics driver. I restarted the computer and proceeded to install the beta driver. I happened to be disconnected from the internet at the time, I don't know if that matters. It saved the files to the default NVidia folder and then checked the system, after that it said that the driver installation failed. So I tried again, after it checked the system, it told me I had to restart the computer. I did and tried again, but said that the driver installation failed. There was the NVidia icon in the taskbar though, with the current version as 311.44. I decided I could try Minecraft on this driver, but got the stopped responding and recovered error just as before. I didn't close the frozen Minecraft client right away, and then I got a bsod, with the bug check string DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. When the computer started up again, I looked at BlueScreenView and have posted what it reports below. I have also attached the dump file for you to look at. Thank you for your help. I can't seem to fix this problem.

Dump file: 081113-15625-01.dmp
Crash time: 8/11/2013 6:12:50 PM
Bug check code: 0x00000133
Parameter 1: 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2: 00000000`00000501
Parameter 3: 00000000`00000500
Parameter 4: 00000000`00000000
Caused by driver: hal.dll
Caused by address: hal.dll+22e94
Processor: x64
Crash address: ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Full path: C:\Windows\Minidump\081113-15625-01.dmp
Processors count: 4
Major version: 15
Minor version: 9200
Dump file size: 302,104
Dump file time: 8/11/2013 6:13:41 PM

Tsuki
08-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Ok so I have reviewed both dumps

The first (0x3b) only seems to be attributed to either
firewire on win7 - which you're not using
KB2778344 - which you don't have
or "This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code." - 3b is usually a graphic's driver (display adapter/video driver), other possibilities include
but are not limited to antivirus/antispyware/security programs and even memory (mapping). Its usually graphics, and in this instance I would say its very much looking like graphics.

The second dump (0x133) only returns a timeout occurance which can be seen here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj154556(v=vs.85).aspx

Due to that information we have and the SFC errors (that aren't being fixed) I am wondering are you using elevated command prompt when using /sfc scannow? If not please keep trying it in elevated (run it command prompt as administrator), sometimes it can take 3-4 runs for it to fix everything. If that doesn't work we'll have to use System Update Readiness Tool, but that is a last resort so just try sfc again for now.

Also the 311.44 drivers are quite outdated possibly it rolled back to them because that's what came stock. There is a new component to nvidia drivers called geforce experience, I think it may require some sort of connection to install it, but I can't verify. I think that may be why you're having issues installing it. I would again uninstall the drivers, this time delete whatever is in the root folder (c:/nvidia), download the new non-beta drivers (320.49), reboot then install them. hopefully this goes smoother for you this time, try to be connected incase it is because it requires connection.

I would install the drivers before /sfc but if its giving you more trouble go ahead and run sfc from elevated command prompt as many times as you need until you get no further with it or system is all clear. Again please try gaming or furmark after both is done to try and reproduce crash and we'll go from there.

Edit: while we are working on this, please disable microsoft nanny (set UAC to never notify), she can cause problems sometimes with timeouts and in some games. If you're not comfortable disabling, its just for this you can turn her back on when we resolve issue :)