PDA

View Full Version : SSD not re-installing Windows 8/Locked drive

CTurner15
07-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm trying to re-install Windows 8 on my Asus G46VW. I installed a Crucial SSD on it when I first bought it and installed Windows 8 on it and cleared the 750GB to just use as media storage. I had it running for about 3 weeks with no problem, went on vacation and the first day of vacation, it crashed. I was able to spam F9 on startup and use the Windows automatic repair tools and get it back. Well, about every day I had to repeat the process, usually at night, and most of the time it would work just fine after that. I came home yesterday and I've been trying to reinstall Windows 8 on the SDD for hours and it simply won't let me. I've put Windows 8 on several USB sticks and have tried to boot into them, but continually Windows wants to load the automatic repair. I've ensured about a dozen times that the USB drive is first in the boot order and it still won't let me (I've also disabled quickboot to try to fix the problem.) I even tried Ubuntu on a USB drive and still the same result. I went into the command on the Windows 8 repair section and tried to do a CHKDSK and when I used the List Disk function, only my 750GB HDD (the one that I only use for media storage) is showing. I've also tried refreshing/restoring option, but both times it says that my drive is locked. I've never set a BIOS password for either drive, so I don't know how that could be. So my question is: 1.) What am I doing wrong? 2.) Why isn't my SSD showing under List Disk if that's how the Windows tool is actually running? Any help would be appreciated.

Clintlgm
07-27-2013, 04:18 PM
You know this sounds like you may have a failed SSD? This sounds like it happen over a period of time, you kept repairing your OS? I've never had had a SSD Fail so I don't really know! But if this happen with a hard drive I would suspect the HD and work from that point?

CTurner15
07-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Even if the SSD is failing/failed, why does it still attempt to boot into? I've always been able to just plug my USB stick into laptops before and boot into Ubuntu or even another copy of Windows. I'd really like to try and save a couple of files off the media drive (if possible) before I completely wipe it. At worst case, I guess I could just open it up again to take out the SSD and I could take out the HDD and connect it to my desktop to make sure I didn't lose my data. I'd really like to just be able to boot into Ubuntu before I had to take it apart again

AlexK661
07-27-2013, 05:03 PM
you might want to remove the HDD and leave the SSD. it showed me the same locked message when i first installed OS on my SSD, just disable security and ignore any other messages. hope it helps

GottiBoi55
07-27-2013, 05:10 PM
Try this procedure!

1. Enter BIOS
2. Set "Launch CSM" to disabled
3. Go to Security and set "Secure Boot Control" to disabled
4. F10 save and exit

Then try to install from your usb stick!

You can set "Secure Boot Control" back to enabled after install!

CTurner15
07-27-2013, 06:31 PM
GottiBoi55, I tried your suggestion and still no luck. Each time I reboot, it continually shows the Asus ROG boot screen and says, "Attempting to diagnose, attempting repairs" and then it brings me back to the Windows Repair screen

CTurner15
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM
Okay, a bit of an update: I just removed the SSD entirely (took out the HDD too just for a few minutes so that I could save my vacation pics/videos and migrated them to my desktop) and put just the HDD back in and closed up the laptop again. I just booted back up and it still for some reason wants to go into Windows recovery mode. This HDD (aside from when I bought it with Windows 8 preinstalled) has never had Windows 8. I still can't boot into any of my USB sticks (Windows 7 and 8 and an Ubuntu stick). What could still be the problem?

GottiBoi55
07-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Okay, a bit of an update: I just removed the SSD entirely (took out the HDD too just for a few minutes so that I could save my vacation pics/videos and migrated them to my desktop) and put just the HDD back in and closed up the laptop again. I just booted back up and it still for some reason wants to go into Windows recovery mode. This HDD (aside from when I bought it with Windows 8 preinstalled) has never had Windows 8. I still can't boot into any of my USB sticks (Windows 7 and 8 and an Ubuntu stick). What could still be the problem?

Did you format the USB correctly for UEFI install?

Check out this thread to see if all is formatted correctly.
UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive (http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html)

You should re-format the SSD to UEFI (GPT), and then place the SSD in main drive bay.
(leave second drive bay empty)
Then start install over with correctly formatted USB drive from guide above!

Clintlgm
07-28-2013, 02:55 AM
CT your hard drive should be ok, I would get it out of their until you get this SSD sorted out. I think secure Boot will prevent the Ubuntu from booting? If this SSD has failed you might not be able to recover any data. I just don't have the experience to know. Gottiboi55 showed you how to get around the windows 8 security. You might want to try another hard drive or contact the Manufacture of the SSD they may have a solution or send you a replacement?

CTurner15
07-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Gottiboi55, thank you so much. I don't install OSes too much anymore (maybe like a refresh every couple of months) and I never knew of Rufus and last night it worked perfectly. Maybe the Windows USB tool is just plain terrible or whatever, but Rufus did the trick. The G46VW finally read my memory stick and I was able to install Windows 8. I'm just going to keep the SSD out of my laptop and maybe get an MSATA to SATA adapter off Amazon and stick it in my desktop for programs. Thanks everyone for your help. This forum rocks!

GottiBoi55
07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Gottiboi55, thank you so much. I don't install OSes too much anymore (maybe like a refresh every couple of months) and I never knew of Rufus and last night it worked perfectly. Maybe the Windows USB tool is just plain terrible or whatever, but Rufus did the trick. The G46VW finally read my memory stick and I was able to install Windows 8. I'm just going to keep the SSD out of my laptop and maybe get an MSATA to SATA adapter off Amazon and stick it in my desktop for programs. Thanks everyone for your help. This forum rocks!

I'm glad you got Win8 up and running for you!
The Windows USB tool should have worked, IDK why it didn't, but anyway the "Rufus program" worked!
Maybe you can try Macrium Reflect Free (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) to clone Win8 to your SSD?

CTurner15
07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm just going to leave the SSD out of the laptop completely now. I don't really use any programs that require a heavy load time and 90% of the time the notebook is just going to be in sleep mode so I'm not worried about the performance increase. I'll probably just end up putting in my desktop and using it as an additional SSD for programs or a separate OS

GottiBoi55
07-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Well that's up to you. but many here had great results cloning the OS with Macrium Reflect Free. (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx)