PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Crash on ASUS G75VW

Kloden
07-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Hello everyone,

In January 2013, I bought my ASUS G75VW, and I got no problems. Since, I decided to change browser from Chrome to Firefox, and then my computer totally crashed.

First, I thought it was a graphical driver problem or some stuff like that, so I upgraded every of my drivers on this computer, but the problem was remaining.

So, I thought it was maybe a problem with Windows 8 (and I wasn't really fan of it), then I changed to Windows 7, a really clean installation. After reinstalling every drivers on Windows 7, I installed firefox, and after about 10 min, the computer crash (exactly the same crash than before). I decided then to do a bios upgrade, it works but nothing changed.

I can't really explain the crash, there is a sound loop, and the computer is totally frozen. If I switch off the elecricity link, it shutdown, so the battery is not supported when the crash appears, if I do nothing, the computer shutdown himselft after like 2 mins.

I really don't know what do to, I didn't changed any hardware configuration on the computer its the original one.
Thanks for your help.

PS : Sorry for my english, I tried to be clear as much as possible.

nirO
07-28-2013, 01:55 PM
i have both.. and never had a crash cuz of firefox... i play a web browser game of firefox every day.. so i dont think its the firefox... maybe its a hardware problem.. something is lose... like ram or something?

Pitcher@asus
07-29-2013, 03:19 AM
i think you do the all SW check, but problem still happen, could you unplug one dimm to try it if you have over one dimm or change to other HDD or format by difference partition.

Zygomorphic
07-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Does Chrome still work? If so, that's a weird bug to have, considering that it is appearing on two different OS's. I would guess on a hardware problem, since Chrome was working, and other applications also work, I assume? If you are willing, then I would ask that you boot a live CD of Ubuntu and try using Firefox. If it crashes, then it's a hardware problem at some level. If not, then it sounds like a bug in the latest Firefox.

Kloden
07-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Yes, everything else is working perfectly, I think I will just forget the idea to use Firefox, cause its the only crashing programm and I don't really want to boot on Ubuntu or some stuff.
Since I don't have some dimm and I tried previous Firefox version, the bug was remaining so...
I just posted this to see if someone else had it, and fixed it. Seems not.

Thanks anyway !
Bye.

fakunchas
07-31-2013, 01:17 PM
installed firefox yesterday because of the useless CRAP OPERA HAS BECOME (they now are chrome clone!)
Firefox in 6 hours of use 6 crashes! hoorrraaayyy

I hate chrome and I hate IE
Do i have to use the freakin' apple SAFARI??

Opera and Mozilla get your stuff right or else go home, you're drunk!

Tsuki
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi,
I was using firefox since I got my laptop in november of last year, suddenly about a month ago it started to crash at random intervals when I was only "browsing" w/firefox. The system would completely freeze up and I would have to force reboot. Because of total lockup, It could not produce a crash dump so I had no way of knowing what the issue was. I thought it was Nvidia driver issue as well, since there had been some updates, and rolled back drivers which did not solve the issue. I started posting on some mozilla forums about it but nobody could help.

I switched to chrome for about a month before I finally came across some thread about MS update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946 basically what it says is that there is some timeout between gfx card response and display output, there is a quick fix you just change a number in the registry to set the timeout higher. No more crashes. Thank goodness because Chrome has a crappy version of "NoScript" which I hated using.

I hope this helps you. :)

13fist
08-02-2013, 12:26 PM
i started having issues with firefox quite some time ago. I've never figured out the exact problem, but it is related to 64bit operating systems. my problems first began with win7rc1 and continued across different computers to this day.
After a bit of searching i switched to waterfox, the 64bit version of firefox, and overall stability has improved. The only drawback is that it is not as supported as firefox is. I dont know what the hold up is but waterfox development has been slow compared to firefox, or any other browser for that matter.
I suggest giving waterfox a try and see what happens.

Zygomorphic
08-02-2013, 01:50 PM
That's interesting, especially since I use Firefox on Windows and never had any problems. I have also used Chrome, and that works as well. I have heard about that timeout issue before, though you would think that MS would issue a patch to address the issue, rather than telling people to fix it themselves.

Prostar Computer
08-02-2013, 04:42 PM
What sort of "crash" are you experiencing? This is not the first time I've heard of this, and I believe it's an issue on Mozilla's end.

Try disabling hardware acceleration in Firefox (http://lifehacker.com/disable-firefoxs-hardware-acceleration-to-fix-slowness-749344037)

Tsuki
08-03-2013, 02:35 AM
That's interesting, especially since I use Firefox on Windows and never had any problems. I have also used Chrome, and that works as well. I have heard about that timeout issue before, though you would think that MS would issue a patch to address the issue, rather than telling people to fix it themselves.

As I stated before, they did release a patch for it :)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

Kloden
08-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Many thanks to Tsuki !

It works perfectly ! Even if its a bit weird that they didn't test it before or some stuff !

Thank you !

GottiBoi55
08-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Hello everyone,

In January 2013, I bought my ASUS G75VW, and I got no problems. Since, I decided to change browser from Chrome to Firefox, and then my computer totally crashed.

First, I thought it was a graphical driver problem or some stuff like that, so I upgraded every of my drivers on this computer, but the problem was remaining.

So, I thought it was maybe a problem with Windows 8 (and I wasn't really fan of it), then I changed to Windows 7, a really clean installation. After reinstalling every drivers on Windows 7, I installed firefox, and after about 10 min, the computer crash (exactly the same crash than before). I decided then to do a bios upgrade, it works but nothing changed.

I can't really explain the crash, there is a sound loop, and the computer is totally frozen. If I switch off the elecricity link, it shutdown, so the battery is not supported when the crash appears, if I do nothing, the computer shutdown himselft after like 2 mins.

I really don't know what do to, I didn't changed any hardware configuration on the computer its the original one.
Thanks for your help.

PS : Sorry for my english, I tried to be clear as much as possible.

I been experiencing issues with Firefox "locking up Windows"
For myself, Firefox may not lock up windows right away, I can be on Firefox for a hour or more!
When it does lock up, nothing is responding, and I need to preform a "hard restart"
(The weird thing this issue doesn't show in the "Windows problem reporting")
So I did a Google search and found THIS (http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/963963) on the Firefox support site!
Read about the issue there, and read down to second post about running Firefox in "safe mode"
The second post will link you to this "Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems"
I would try the "reset option", will save you a lot of time!
Hopefully this will help!

(http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/963963)

Kloden
08-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Ok guys !

Finally the fix link from Tsuki wasn't making my firefox working at all, the thing is I tested it during 1h30 and it didn't crashed, but suddendly, BOOM !
So I came back here and tested the "GottiBoi55" method, i reseted my firefox and my computer didn't crashed for like 5 hours.
Then I was a bit bored of the adds everywhere, so I decided to put back Ad block (the only addon I got on firefox) and my computer crashed again.
So I removed it, and it works again. I think i found the thing who was making my computer crash.

PS : I tried other ad blocks derivation and the bug remains... so I stay with ads !

Thanks everyone ! :)

GottiBoi55
08-03-2013, 11:22 PM
There's 'Bugs" with some "plugins , extensions, and hardware acceleration"
But I hear there's a fix in the works that will release in update for Firefox 23 (coming August 6th)!

Tsuki
08-04-2013, 10:32 AM
oh, I didn't put adblock back on since the fix, maybe it needs to be updated for new FF version? (I had removed all plugins to troubleshoot) I will put it back on and see if it crashes again!

GottiBoi55
08-05-2013, 02:38 AM
oh, I didn't put adblock back on since the fix, maybe it needs to be updated for new FF version? (I had removed all plugins to troubleshoot) I will put it back on and see if it crashes again!

You should test your plugins in "FF safe mode" one at a time.
This way you can find the problem plugin.

Kloden
08-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Just a short message to tell that in the new version of Firefox (23.0), everything works, no more crashes even with ad block ! :D