PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a gtx770M

crusen257
07-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Im not an expert so I didn't want to proceed without some suggestions.
To what extent is it safe to over clock the 770M? Also, can anyone post a before-after overclocking performance, just to see if it's worth it?
Thank you

StereoROG
07-30-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm surprised no one has replied to your question yet.

1 - I dont have the G750 with the gtx 770m graphics card so I can't give you a a clear asnwer.

2 - U dont need to be expert to overclock these days as the only thing u need to do is to download a software that allows you to do that, from what i see you haven't got any experience in OC'ing so to point number 3.

3 - Overclocking will avoid warranty as you are doing something outside the rules and regulations so if you are unsure than forget about it.

4 - With mobile graphics you cant expect to have a big difference in performance bcozzzz :

1 - Overclocking = producing more heat ( the G75 had a gr8 cooling module , which i think is used on the G750 series so as long as ur overclocking slowly that should be fine ( please do more research as this is my personal opinion) but still you are LIMITED

2 - If you are overclocking a lot which is pushing the graphics card that might reduce the lifespan of the graphics card

5 - I use MSI afterburner on my 670m on demanding games you will get between 1 to 5 percent extra performance as you see that is not a big difference in FPS getting t 2 or 5 extra frames per second will not make a big difference on the eye IN MY OPINION !!!!

IF you want to overclock start increasing the clock value slowly keep the margin small to be safe, then test for artifacts and keep an eye on the temperatures with GPU-Z. go up slowly till u get that extra frames that satisfies you. Youtube "how to Overclock and you'll get a step by step guide if your not familiar with the vocabulary )

for direct advice for ur card ( GTX 770m ) i hope ull get a response with exact numbers.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Flea0
07-30-2013, 10:29 PM
yesterday I tried playing Remember Me with everything at maximum, including the monstrous supersampling. I was getting 35 fps with some dips below 30 so I decided to overclock a little and using MSI afterburner I set +135MHz to the core and +450 to memory clock and got 45 fps in the same environment. That is a nearly 30% increase, and the maximum GPU temperature was 72C. So the 770M is very easily overclockable and the G750's cooling system remained unimpressed despite that. :p

StereoROG
07-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Well there is a big difference between the 670m and 770m of course with the 770m having the new architecture which dissipates less heat and having the capability to get more OC out of it.

Have you pushed it to the max? or did anyone else have the OC numbers on this forum?

Thanks

Flea0
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
+135 core clock is the maximum that afterburner allows me to do, but memory can go to +1000, but I wasn't trying to push it.

Suspirion
07-31-2013, 05:44 AM
I tried to max it out, but its unstable for me (nvidia beta drivers crash, perhaps when they release standard ones I might have more success). Best I have is +135 core and +800 memory, could perhaps tweak it a bit more, but this is ok for me. Temps didn't go higher than 75

StereoROG
07-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Same with me when i max out my card Nvidia crashes so its not the beta thingy its just that the card can't handle the load i guess.

Anyway thanks for trying this can help a lot of people to know the margin they need to stick with.

Cheers bro

The Thing
07-31-2013, 10:18 AM
Well, I just used MSI Afterburner and clocked the gfx card like Flea0 did and I got +!5 fps in Borderlands 2. I was getting 30-35 fps in combat now the minimum fps was 45 ( and that's when there are a lot of psychos ^_^ ). Proof that oc'ing mobile cards works and improves the gaming experience.

rye017
08-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Just for curiosity I tried overclocking my 770M using EVGA Precision X and ran some benchmarks:

GPU + 100Mhz
Memory +450Mhz

Overclocked setting improved my benchmark tests by 15FPS. I didn't go for higher numbers because it was unstable already and getting some artifacts. Although I have always remained to default setting because I never needed to overclock for my gaming and usage so far...

TekNiko
08-06-2013, 04:28 PM
I'm using MSI Afterburner for overclocking. I can get away with +135 Mhz on the Core Clock and +500 Mhz on the memory clock and be able to have stable play sessions. I tried to raise the memory clock to +800 Mhz but the nVidia drivers occasionally crash. I'd say you get a good 10% increased performance out of the gtx 770m when you overclock. Pretty happy with it :)

Anvirol
08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I successfully overclocked the GPU to 932MHz (max) and MEM 5500MHz (5600MHz crashes) with Asus Tweak. MSI Afterburner didnt have voltage tuning, so I went with the Asus software instead. Hoping for modded bios that allows overclocking the GPU higher, because there seems to be a lot of overclocking headroom.

This high overclock seems to throttle the CPU a little bit, gaming performance goes way up, but 3DMark score has diminishing returns after ~4.7GHz memory.

Dream
08-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Does overclocking void warranty if the voltages are left stock? (I realize this would dramatically limit the overclock, but I wouldnt mind if my warranty were left intact ...)

TekNiko
08-15-2013, 04:12 AM
ASUS makes their own overclocking software. http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?58-ASUS-GPU-Tweak

It would be pretty darn stupid if you voided your warranty using ASUS software to overclock your ASUS hardware.

urmamaiszai
11-15-2013, 12:34 AM
I managed to push the gpu to 932 mHz and 5600mhz memory and it is stable. The voltage was left at stock as after running benchmarks, there was no difference between stock voltage and increased voltage. Before overclocking I got 445 fps in novabench 16x aa but after overclocking I got 579 fps in novabench with 16x aa. Tat is around a 30% performance gain.

Guess I'm lucky :-)

povetkin
11-15-2013, 04:32 AM
I managed to push the gpu to 932 mHz and 5600mhz memory and it is stable. The voltage was left at stock as after running benchmarks, there was no difference between stock voltage and increased voltage. Before overclocking I got 445 fps in novabench 16x aa but after overclocking I got 579 fps in novabench with 16x aa. Tat is around a 30% performance gain.

Guess I'm lucky :-)
Can you give as valid 3dmark benchmark result, please?

schuey7
01-23-2014, 07:56 AM
My results of overclocking using the asus tool are below.The gpu goes up to 75 degrees at these settings on metro last light and is cooler in other games.Playing Bioshock Infinite at stock setting since it runs fine.Maybe if a game hitches I will go for the overclock.The performance increase is awesome ,atleast 20% as per the Hitman benchmark.I have a 770m btw.
Before overclock:
http://i.imgur.com/F7Lkajo.jpg
After Overclock:
http://i.imgur.com/aNtuzz0.jpg
Settings:
http://i.imgur.com/sJqNl9j.jpg

As you can see the minimum framerate goes up by 31% and average by 21% :)

Kardy
05-01-2014, 07:42 PM
hi there
i tried OC on my machine too, and i get these results :
http://postimg.org/image/m77oqk7lh/full/
what you think, can i go higher ?

basvdelsen
05-01-2014, 10:42 PM
How can they tell if it's been overclocked when you un-overclock everything? You can just put all the settings back the way they originally were right? So it wouldn't affect the warranty right?

hmscott
05-01-2014, 11:11 PM
How can they tell if it's been overclocked when you un-overclock everything? You can just put all the settings back the way they originally were right? So it wouldn't affect the warranty right?

The firmware on the video card has the real limits. The max GPU clock OC is 932, and is stable at stock voltage - the max memory clock is self limiting as the max memory OC shows up as unusable video not a physical failure.

Asus makes the tool to allow the user to tune the card to it's limits with warranty support.

BTW, on the GTX7XXm cards the voltage slider does nothing except change the number in the tool, it doesn't change the voltage on the card. :)

Rather than increase the voltage, I wanted to decrease the voltage to the lowest point where 932mhz + boost was still stable to reduce heat - but no voltage change on the mobile cards.

Kardy
05-01-2014, 11:42 PM
The firmware on the video card has the real limits. The max GPU clock OC is 932, and is stable at stock voltage - the max memory clock is self limiting as the max memory OC shows up as unusable video not a physical failure.

Asus makes the tool to allow the user to tune the card to it's limits with warranty support.

BTW, on the GTX7XXm cards the voltage slider does nothing except change the number in the tool, it doesn't change the voltage on the card. :)

Rather than increase the voltage, I wanted to decrease the voltage to the lowest point where 932mhz + boost was still stable to reduce heat - but no voltage change on the mobile cards.

I noticed too that case with the core voltage, so it doesnt matter what i set in utility ?

hmscott
05-02-2014, 12:08 AM
I noticed too that case with the core voltage, so it doesnt matter what i set in utility ?

The Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards, which works with the JW/JX/JH only shows the voltage slider on some versions, and does nothing, so no, it doesn't matter what it is set to. IDK if that will change someday, so leaving it at default is a good idea.

The new fork named Tweak Tool for Laptops is different, and I haven't used it, so IDK if voltage settings there, if available, work or not...

I started a thread here when I accidentally installed the "for Laptops" version and found it didn't work right on my JH

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?45644-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Laptops-vs-Asus-GPU-Tweak-for-Graphics-Cards&p=387929&viewfull=1#post387929

olvr1ck
01-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Can someone upload here modded vbios for GTX 770m?

TechInferno Forum requires 5 posts to download
(http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-492.html)

Need Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip
=( willing to try

hmscott
01-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Can someone upload here modded vbios for GTX 770m?
TechInferno Forum requires 5 posts to download
(http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-492.html)
Need Asus 770m (G750JX) - 80.06.54.00.13 'OC edition' rev02.zip
=( willing to try

olvr1ck, although the idea of flashing a hacked vBIOS/BIOS sounds promising, in reality it is a risk to ruin / brick your GPU / laptop for a fractional benefit that isn't worth the effort. The potential for a couple of fps increase isn't worth losing your laptop, or paying hundreds of $ to fix it.

There are lots of postings in those forums over time with people not able to recover from a bad hacked vBIOS/BIOS flash, and they needed to replace their GPU MXM board and/or BIOS chip.

Fixing your laptop after a bad flash with a hacked vbios/BIOS isn't covered under warranty :)