PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sizzler Winner and post contest discussion

HiVizMan
07-29-2013, 03:25 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21867

And the winner is Zka17 well done mate and especially big thank you for all your back room hard work.

To Nikos so close mate so very close, Arne you needed a few extra points in RB and you would have been a contender.

Menthol as always you are in the mix, and actually to all the guys just well done and respect for your efforts.

Detleg
07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Congrats Z very well done buddy :)

Zka17
07-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Thank you! :D

Without Arne and Menthol pushing their gear and showing me that things are possible, I wouldn't be able to reach those scores... also, Nikosa was keeping the tension in me... - I just wanted to beat the IB score with the SB-E... :)

HiVizMan, we won't be able to thank you enough for organizing these Challenges! I think, I can talk for all participants by saying that we all learned a lot... from this and the previous ones... And thank you for introducing me in the world of the Google Docs! :D If my time allows (if I'm in an internet area), you can count on me for updating Leader Boards in the future too...

Chris, as I said this one was the best wallpaper ever - thank you!

And thank you all participants too, without you we couldn't have this Challenge...

nikosa43
07-29-2013, 04:23 PM
A big thank you, to all of you guys. It's an honor for me to be among you in every position, from the very first to the last one. It was a very good and tough competition for all, to show their skills, achieve things and most important to learn things in a very difficult season of the year. The spirit was very high and the mentality to help each other with tips and tweaks was dominant and that's the most important! For me learning memory timmings it was the most important thing I keep from this challenge, because before this, XMP was the only way to go. I am not saying of course that now I am rocket scientist to that field, but at least I can change some things and understand why and how I am doing it :D - Congratulations to all !!! I 'll keep the desktop as a trophy, like the previous one :D

nikosa43
07-29-2013, 04:28 PM
A special post just for the winner! Congratulations Z, for the victory and the work you do here mate. You have the skills and the passion to go even higher. Go for it !

Arne Saknussemm
07-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Well done Z!! well benched!! excellent win in an excellent contest!

Well done to Nikosa! benching through the night to the wire! Great second place..and Menthol the bronze but a win in Cine

Me...chuffed to place first with Firestrike :)

Learned heaps about benching in this contest in a whole heap of ways and had real great fun!!!:D

Thanks to HiViz and chrs and the rest of you....

Menthol
07-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Thanks Vizman,
Congrat's Zka, and everyone else, I also learned some about memory timings, but mostly I have fun in these competitions and meet some great people, and thats what life is all about.
Arne you tweaked the hell out of those memories of yours and inspired me to push harder.

Dartmaul
07-29-2013, 06:30 PM
GratZka!:o

I remember our first challenge, there were some prizes to draw attention. Now it's clear that this challenge was a great MHz seed that just hit the right place to grow. I'm very proud and happy to be one of those who has grown from that seed.
Thank you Sir HiVizMan for that amazing act you've done, and for once again giving us a reason to meet together and bench.
And off course thank you guys for making my benching so fun and for sharing so much experience!

Hope next time I would cause some worries at the top of the ladder):rolleyes:

flexnl
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
hivz you da man....tnx man for this once again succesfull challenge!
Zka... you rock :) and no shame for us loosing from nr1 in USA ;)
everybody nice benching and hope its not too long before we meet again :):)

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Guys the big winner is each and every person who was reading and following the thread. I get heaps of pm's from people who do not post submissions saying how much they have enjoyed the contests. They have their favourites and have been living each weeks updates with us.

Now I want to try something different. I want to have a ROG benching league. What I am looking at is six or seven benchmarks and we run them from now (August) until the end of the year. We have a monthly winner and an overall winner. The same benchmarks until the end of December. A monthly winner and a end of year over all winner. The participant that has the most points for the entire period will be crowned ROG 2013 bencher of the year.

What those benchmarks will be is up to all of us. I would like to see the following benchmarks included.

Super PI 32 Mil
Vantage Firestrike Extreme (yes I know it is a paid for benchmark)
ROG RealBench
FutureMark03
Futuremeark2001SE

The limitations would be the as follows. Hardware has to have been commercially available in two or more regions for one full calender month. So for example if there was a new processor released (or graphic card) that product would need to be available to the retail market for one month before it could be used in the contest.

I do not care about cooling, or about having a frequency cap. Like many of you I want the best of the ROG users to post up here so we can really gauge our worth against the best there is. I guess the only restriction will have to be single card (and that means single core) submissions. Different hardware can be used for each benchmark it matters not all that matters is the scores.

But do not worry I will still hold challenges that hope to provide a level playing field. Summer Sizzler favoured the LGA2011, the May Madness was more weighted to the Ivy processors. There will never be a level playing field, one product will always have a small advantage despite my (our) best intentions.

Think about it and give me some feedback and suggestions please. After all this is for all of the ROG family you and me. Yip I will be competing too.

Zka17
07-30-2013, 01:13 AM
WOW, that's sounds really challenging! :cool:

I just can welcome the lack of cooling or frequency cap... :)

Regarding the benchmarks, both 03 and 01SE?

Do you need to use the absolute same hardware all along the competition? I mean, some of those benchmarks likes IB some are better with SB-E, maybe even Haswell...

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Zka you can use any hardware for any benchmark - so LGA2011 for a benchmark that likes 12 cores/threads and a Haswell on a single thread for the 32mil for example.

Basically this would be the open class. If you can push it then do it. But it would not be closed to anyone. So AMD users and those guys who do not have the latest kit they are most welcome to join in and have fun. We should all learn a whole heap.

As to 2001SE yes it is the most important benchmark for any tweaker. It is THE benchmark actually.

Rockford
07-30-2013, 01:21 AM
Congratz to all participants!!!

I join the next one 4 sure..

Zka17
07-30-2013, 01:27 AM
OK, sounds great! I don't have Haswell, but I'm in with IB and SB-E! :D

Rockford
07-30-2013, 01:32 AM
O)k, now i get it..

No mhz cap

Where do i sign up?

I got Haswell i7 K, and a board to go with it..

;o)

Menthol
07-30-2013, 02:03 AM
WhitPaw,
Sorry I haven't posted any pics, I will get some of my new place, but my pc room is a mess, hardware, cables and stuff everywhere. My 4770k is a weak CPU so either I bin some chips or I turn it into my daily beater, like my Ford, not fast but never let's me down
Viz, I'll be in the mix mate, I am beginning to think you guys let me get third place just to let me feel good, don't hold back next time alright, I can take a beating with a smile:)

flexnl
07-30-2013, 02:24 AM
DAgmar you da man! :D really c ool idea to do a league!
lookin forwars to it!
RoG 4 evr :D

Zka17
07-30-2013, 02:31 AM
I am beginning to think you guys let me get third place just to let me feel good, don't hold back next time alright, I can take a beating with a smile:)

My friend, I swear that I did everything to catch you up in the 2D benchmarks! :)

Actually, last night I managed to get the memories to work at 2400MHz/CL7... (yeah it was burning smell) - but by the time I got there, my OS gave up... i had no energy to re-install it... But next time!

nikosa43
07-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Vizman the way you put it it will be the absolute arena! No limits on anything. I guess LN2, DICE and NOS (from car racing :)) included. That's a real challenge for serious players with unlimited resources, (by means of time and hardware). Of course I don't fall into this category, but I will definitely follow the adventure even from pit stops with a chair and a cocktail!

KPRage
07-30-2013, 06:11 AM
Congrats Z and, nikosa and everyone.. This was indeed an awesome time.. I am up for the next challenge this time from the beginning.. :) Thanks Viz for this competition and, it was a wonderful experience.. Thanks for teaching so many things.. There is so much in benching than one can imagine.. A continuous learning always.. :)

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 08:50 AM
League would be fun...and give those of us with limited time a chance to progress at our own speed over a longer time. This challenge was the first one I've been able to find enough time to dedicate to it even though it was five weeks

Basically the more ROG benching fun the better:D

Detleg
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
nice HiViz...level cap meaning 1 GPU correct?

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Det the only limitation will be a single VGA and that excludes those graphics cards with two graphic processor units like a 7990 for example.

Detleg
07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Gotcha, I better get my water loop on my GPU, it arrives today :)

Nodens
07-30-2013, 11:55 AM
HiVizMan, I don't think SS favoured LGA2011 much. Imho you did a pretty good job in leveling the field with the caps you imposed. Proof of that is Nikos getting second place, just 2 points off first, with a 3770K (btw grats Nikos for that!). I think this challenge is one of the most balanced ones I've ever seen (CB favored SB-E, RB favored IB)! And there were no Haswell contestants unfortunately as I think they'd score pretty damn good.

That said, I want to say Grats to Zka17 and everyone who participated in this challenge. I was observing silently (on my laptop as I'm still on vacation/away from any real hardware:p -- although I must be the first person ever on vacation lugging around a M6E board along with my baggage lol) and really enjoying the pushing, sharing of tweaks and sportsmanship in the challenge.

And last but a galaxy far far away from least, Grats to Viz for hosting this, in the manner that he does!

Zka17
07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Thank you, Nodens!

I think that not only the higher speed cap, but also the better IMC made the IB more competitive in this Challenge... - indeed, it was a very balanced competition! :cool:

Detleg
07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Man, I really need a bench, but I just got me the 6GB Gskill DDR3 PC3-12800 PI series CL7 1.5V should help me with a certain challenge.
And Nodens, Thanks for the RB you big part of it ;)

Zka17
07-30-2013, 12:03 PM
It will sure do, Det! Just remember to manage your swap file... 4GB is a little bit at the lower limit... - at least for the RB...

Nodens
07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Thank you, Nodens!

I think that not only the higher speed cap, but also the better IMC made the IB more competitive in this Challenge... - indeed, it was a very balanced competition! :cool:

Exactly! You can only do so much with SB-E and RAM..and RB really loves fast RAM heh. Imho IB-E chips will be worth it just for the IMC.. Running 2.8 RAM with tight timings on LGA2011 heh

But if it wasn't for Viz's cleverly placed caps, you could offset IB's RAM benefit with higher SB-E clocks (as seen on the league ;))..He really did a good job balancing it out!

Zka17
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
He really did a good job balancing it out!

Yeap, he really did! :)

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Yeap, he really did! :)

Yep, he really really did :)

One thing I learned in this comp is that Win 8 is no where near as resilient as Win 7 when it comes to benching. If you have a BSOD on Win 8 even a single one from OCing either CPU or RAM it is best to do a fresh install. If Win 8 starts up and gives you a repairing your system message same...fresh install is best. I found a couple of times the install would work perfectly but benching something like Firestrike would simply not cut the mustard and scores only went back to where they should be on a fresh out of the box install....

For me Firestrike and RealBench prefer Win 8 to win 7 but there are plenty of system variables so not sure if this is universal or just my rig.

Didn't get to test Cinebench on Win 7 nor 3Dmark06 on XP which I would have liked....

Got my best scores on each benchmark when they were the only thing installed on a fresh OS install...

Myk SilentShadow
07-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Anyone got a spare few thousand bucks so I can build Shadow Bench, kit it out and even get a 3910K...if it ever hits the shelves? THEN I could join the league :p :cool: kidding by the way lol

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
Yeah Myk I know just the bloke his name is Bill G.

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Actually Myk I just gave a few thousand to the postman in cash....he said he'd post it to you....was about to tell him where you lived but he said it was cool he would get it there....so problem solved!

Nodens
07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
A word of advice when benching on 8. Disable fast boot and Hybrid boot. Let your system do a full init and never save/load stuff from RAM to Disk because then instability of a particular bad OC can get carried over or even build up. On Hybrid boot the kernel is saved to disk, if something is corrupted but didn't trigger a crash it can do it on your next try although your OC is fine ;)

(EDIT: Hybrid boot is on by default on 8)

Detleg
07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Also, does anyone have the links to all the Wallpapers Chris made?
I only found this years, and the Pi challenge one.
Thanks upfront

Myk SilentShadow
07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
There was only Pi, May Madness and the SS one Det :)

LOL Viz!!! I'll give good ole Uncle Billy a call shall I? :p

nice Arne!! :cool:

Detleg
07-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Myk the Pi wallpaper looks superb cannot find the May Madness

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 02:06 PM
nice Arne!! :cool:

Funny post man....he went skipping down the road saying he was off on holiday so I guess he'll post it when he comes back right?

Myk SilentShadow
07-30-2013, 02:09 PM
Funny post man....he went skipping down the road saying he was off on holiday so I guess he'll post it when he comes back right?

ooooh that dirty rat!!! where's your henchman you stole from Viz? :p

Detleg: here you go Bro ;) http://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20247&d=1367334928

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
I liked the Pi one heaps and heaps

Myk SilentShadow
07-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I liked the Pi one heaps and heaps

Me too, I didn't even OC my 1090T and I still took out 1st place and add to that, I didn't even mess with the timings on my RipjawsZ either lol.

chrsplmr
07-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Congrats One and All !!! Zka+.This was spectacular .. I might not b play'n .. but even I'm learn'n.c.

Dartmaul
07-30-2013, 05:01 PM
Wow that's a great idea to make our own league.
I like the idea to make each benchmark score separated from each other. That's a real advantage from a complex challenge where you can't have a gear that is same good for all tests.

It feels like we're on a starting point of something big, so I'd like to leave my IMO about it right here right now, and hope it would have some positive sense for you guys.

Few previous challenges gave us some experience, not only about overclocking and benching, but also about organization as well.
So I'd like to use my experience to figure out my view of how would I do things)
It's about time to remember that my English is not very good, so if you see no scene in some of my words, forget about it)

If we're about to create our constant playground, some basic purposes have to be set:
As always, we bench for fun and experience, but everyone has different experience level and gear, also everyone enjoys his own benching style. For example my dear friend Luumi s addicted to RAM overclock and I prefer GPU benching.
What would be good to do is to create a playground with a set of different "toys" which contains something for everyone.

So I divided 3 different factors groups: skill gear and benching style. Let's see what we need about this to make everyone happy:

Talking about benching skills we all know that every single bench can be used by everyone but requires some real experience to achieve good scores. But there are tests those are easier to tweak. I would like to see wPrime (CPU), Unigine Valley (GPU) and MemMaxx (RAM) as a basic skill benchmarks. These shouldn't have any rankings, but should be free to use and share for everyone who'd like to join our party). Advanced tests are like Realbench, Vantage/3D11, and PiFast or SuperPi1M (just because these are fast to run). These are for most of our guys and some of them (I'm not experienced enough to choose which) can be used for our final rankings. "HiVizMan level" skilled guys would challenge in 3D01SE, SuperPi32M and Firestrike Extreme. Serious people, serious benchmarks.
(Well I'm not sure about Firestrike Extreme is more challenging then Vantage but that one more thing for more experienced people to choose)

Looks like we have everything needed but there's some more. I know how sad and unfair it feels to have a gear that doesn't allows you to compete some tests so I'd like to see CPU freq (for AMD CPUs users) and Unigine Heaven (as a non-x79 VGA test)

And yes. It would be good to have one VGA benchmark to be used with multi GPU config. Multiple GPUs are funny to tweak and it has to be done in a complete different way that single GPU.

Rankings should be used for serious benchmarks but it's not only about challenge so it would be good to have a database and practice ground for people who are just about to become real overclockers)

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 05:19 PM
I liked wazza a lot! That was my introduction to benching..copy wazza has a place in my heart!

Dart! So you like Unigine Valley now Huh?:p

Myk, as promised I sent Hector to Madrid to see about some scantily clad ladies....he's not come back....

EDIT.. I'd appreciate some bench to go for double GPU just cos I've got two of them...even if it's a non scoring annex of one or two of the benches.....

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 05:21 PM
Cheers Dart for you comments I am going to wait for a few more folks to comment before I engage with your ideas in some detail.

Zka17
07-30-2013, 05:28 PM
I think, we should keep it simple... 4 3D benchmarks and 3 2D benchmarks... - if you want more diversification (beginners, advanced or expert users), do it only on the Leader Board... This way everyone is benching the same and sharing experience about the same... - so it's the way for most learning

Also, I would like to keep the benchmarks mostly around the standard HWBOT ones - so those who learn should be able to get points over there too... RealBench should be an exception, because HWBOT does not have anything better than that... - actually, Asus guys, have thought about getting RealBench on HWBOT?

So my suggestion:
3D - Fire Strike-Extreme, 3DMark2001SE, Unigine Heaven DX11 and something else... (not sure on 3DMark03, maybe Aqua)
2D - SuperPi 32 mil, wPrime 1024 and ROG RealBench

Dartmaul
07-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Dart! So you like Unigine Valley now Huh?:p
No. Valley is like Heaven but lighter and doesn't respond on instability that much.
I like Heaven Vantage and Firestrike)

Zka I understand that my idea looks like it's just about to extend the amount of tests a little too much.
But it's actually not about all called benchmarks. It's about how to make it interesting challenging educative and fun for everyone.
You are a serious man, you are pushing superpi32m for example. During that you can spend 10 mins to make a superpi1m or wprime to show less experienced people how it should be.

PS I don't really like 3D01 and Aqua. Those are wired on modern hardware. But 3D01 is more tweakable then aqua so I guess it would be enough to have only one of these.

Arne Saknussemm
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah I know what you mean...... I actually like watching Valley more but haven't tried benching it yet....

Detleg
07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
great Ideas period, but to spread the points to those active on HWBOT is excellent

Detleg
07-30-2013, 05:46 PM
why not a poll about which benches to integrate in the league ? two ore more threads might be necessary but you have the input from all

Dartmaul
07-30-2013, 05:52 PM
I actually like watching Valley more but haven't tried benching it yet....
Yep) Relaxing. Too relaxing to focus on benching.

Benchmark choose is a single question that has to be discussed in a special thread.
I posted some suggestions about priority factors that should matter for choosing benchmarks.
Also I'm completely agreed with idea that submissions for out league should be useful for HWbot as well. I have some good results from previous challenges but they could be better without challenge restrictions.

flexnl
07-30-2013, 06:52 PM
HiVizMan, I don't think SS favoured LGA2011 much. Imho you did a pretty good job in leveling the field with the caps you imposed. Proof of that is Nikos getting second place, just 2 points off first, with a 3770K (btw grats Nikos for that!). I think this challenge is one of the most balanced ones I've ever seen (CB favored SB-E, RB favored IB)! And there were no Haswell contestants unfortunately as I think they'd score pretty damn good.

That said, I want to say Grats to Zka17 and everyone who participated in this challenge. I was observing silently (on my laptop as I'm still on vacation/away from any real hardware:p -- although I must be the first person ever on vacation lugging around a M6E board along with my baggage lol) and really enjoying the pushing, sharing of tweaks and sportsmanship in the challenge.

And last but a galaxy far far away from least, Grats to Viz for hosting this, in the manner that he does!

no doubt it was a great challenge but ib was chanceless in cinebench and firestrike (sorry i had to say it) :P....
but your right...nikosa showed it was still possible with some great benchin!

HiVizMan
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM
There will still be challenges and contests running like the Supper Sizzler and the May Madness.

Zka17
07-30-2013, 07:16 PM
no doubt it was a great challenge but ib was chanceless in cinebench and firestrike

That's true... but it had advantage in 06 and RB, isn't it? :) And as all the benchmarks worth the same amount of points, that's how it got balanced among IB and SB-E... :)

Dartmaul
07-30-2013, 07:25 PM
Actually, not only CPU have to be balanced. But it's very hard to do, I've tried.

flexnl
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
That's true... but it had advantage in 06 and RB, isn't it? :) And as all the benchmarks worth the same amount of points, that's how it got balanced among IB and SB-E... :)

Well sb-e wasnt chanceless at rb and 06 :D haha

Zka17
07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Both RB and 06 benefits a lot from the memories... they do so from the cores/threads too, but the final result will be the balance between memories/IMC and cores/threads... and in this Challenge we had a lower cap on SB-E...

Now, IB has only 4 cores/8 threads but has a much stronger IMC vs the IB-E who has 6cores /12 threads and a weaker IMC...

Just out from curiosity, I have tried my second Titan with the same settings (same OS) on my MVE+3770k system... CPU set at 5GHz as it was allowed in the Challenge (my 3970X was at 4.7GHz)... used the GSkill TridentX at 2600MHz/CL10 with IB vs the GSkill Pi 2400/CL8 with SB-E (both 8GB) - guess who was the winner?! The IB scores over 40k easily, the SB-E never reached 39k for me...

nikosa43
07-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Nodens and Flex, thank you for your good words. IMO this challenge was well capped and balanced for its platform to show its best. Winner could be anyone between IB and SB-E. Cinebench was clearly given to SB. RB could have a winner from SB. 3D06 favored IB and Firestrike favoured SB (look at my graphics results and my physics results which are strictly CPU depending and compare them with SB-E platform with a GTX780 or a Titan). These kind of challenges are highly valued because of the physical (HW) or the given restrictions, someone has to think more and try harder, also has to think what the other platforms can do. I am very new to this sports and most possible I don't have a future at all, because it's not easy to follow the hardware updates to be competitive but from my little experience until now the more fun benches for me was 3Dmark01 and RB. By saying fun I mean tweaks and tricks beyond the usual ones. It's not just bump up the clock and whoever has the muscle wins. I have to agree with Vizman that 3D01 is the king of benches even it's now outdated and do not favor modern GPUs. It's the best school to learn practically everything and then test every tweak you learned there, to see if it fits elsewhere.

nikosa43
07-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Zka I agree about the things you say but IBs IMC is not to taken given. Even from reviews of high speed memory, the reviewers say that statistically the majority of the chips starts crippling at about 2450G. So it's a draw of luck or binning to find a good chip. When I ordered my 2600 memory I didn't know if my chip could drive the memory at that speed. I just took the risk.

Menthol
07-31-2013, 12:25 AM
Arne, I agree with win 8, a couple bsod's and it's over, big pain in butt.
As long as you guys let me bench with you I will bench your rules and choices. although I have not heard anyone mention AllBenchmark (Catzilla) it was going to be a hwbot bench but I guess that has not been settled, I think something about not being able to make a wrapper plus it has not been finished as far as I know.

HiVizMan
07-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Keep the comments and the thoughts comming. I want to hear from each and every one of you. What you all have to understand is that the league will attract the best in the world. If they have a ASUS board they will post scores in this league. So yes you will get to chance to see how you do against the best there is.

What I see is a overall league table. No holds barred. And then a sub group - ambient cooling. Only two classes.

But it will be something that we all agree on not just my thoughts.

flexnl
07-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Arne, I agree with win 8, a couple bsod's and it's over, big pain in butt.
As long as you guys let me bench with you I will bench your rules and choices. although I have not heard anyone mention AllBenchmark (Catzilla) it was going to be a hwbot bench but I guess that has not been settled, I think something about not being able to make a wrapper plus it has not been finished as far as I know.
i just scored some hwbot points with allbenchmark contest :) :D its pretty cool benchmark

Dartmaul
07-31-2013, 01:46 AM
I purchased Catzilla but still can't upload my results(

PS That kitty makes me BSOD with an eyebeam(

meankeys
07-31-2013, 02:36 AM
Congrats to all. Some really nice scores up there. I Have been watching From the start. Looks like allot of fun. I hope I can join in on the next one. I Have allot to lean to compete with the big dog's. Great job guy's

Detleg
07-31-2013, 02:39 AM
Keep the comments and the thoughts comming. I want to hear from each and every one of you. What you all have to understand is that the league will attract the best in the world. If they have a ASUS board they will post scores in this league. So yes you will get to chance to see how you do against the best there is.

What I see is a overall league table. No holds barred. And then a sub group - ambient cooling. Only two classes.

But it will be something that we all agree on not just my thoughts.

as long as KINGPIN and Yang not playing I wouldn't be too embarrassed lol

Arne Saknussemm
07-31-2013, 06:17 AM
By saying fun I mean tweaks and tricks beyond the usual ones. It's not just bump up the clock and whoever has the muscle wins.

I liked the CPU cap for this contest and have loved the RealBench OCing for exactly this reason too. It has really inspired me to tweak a whole lot of stuff and dig around for info etc. and find stuff out for myself. The Pi contest should probably have been the same but I was too green at that stage to get it really :o. Not that there isn't a place for the full on muscle challenges where people can go for broke and set things on fire:D

Zka17
07-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, when we have cap on CPU, we're forced to learn other tweaks... but then if we have the big guys, we have to learn tweaking everything in the same time...

Nodens
07-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Well sb-e wasnt chanceless at rb and 06 :D haha

Both RB and 06 benefits a lot from the memories... they do so from the cores/threads too, but the final result will be the balance between memories/IMC and cores/threads... and in this Challenge we had a lower cap on SB-E...

Now, IB has only 4 cores/8 threads but has a much stronger IMC vs the IB-E who has 6cores /12 threads and a weaker IMC...

Just out from curiosity, I have tried my second Titan with the same settings (same OS) on my MVE+3770k system... CPU set at 5GHz as it was allowed in the Challenge (my 3970X was at 4.7GHz)... used the GSkill TridentX at 2600MHz/CL10 with IB vs the GSkill Pi 2400/CL8 with SB-E (both 8GB) - guess who was the winner?! The IB scores over 40k easily, the SB-E never reached 39k for me...

Exactly this. To further elaborate, Nikos could have easily snagged first place if he could clock/tighten his RAM slightly more. 2 tests favored SB-E and 2 tests favored IB (due to RAM and clever caps). Which is absolutely great. I personally think that being able to compete with mainstream hardware is absolutely awesome and keeps it fun for everyone.
The big uncapped league will be a place for extremes (Viz said it, the world's best will come and push the limits heh) but these challenges are great!

Nodens
07-31-2013, 11:42 AM

I'll bet you that they'll be participating :p

Zka17
07-31-2013, 11:46 AM

He-he, they may get embarrassed actually.... - by our very own 8 Pack! :cool:

HiVizMan
07-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Ok let me try and wrap up the discussion on the league thing.

Most folks would prefer the challenges that allow all to compete - mainstream hardware in other words - and to separate the anything goes league. Do I have it right?

Nodens
07-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Most folks would prefer the challenges that allow all to compete - mainstream hardware in other words - and to separate the anything goes league. Do I have it right?

That's exactly my opinion:)

flexnl
07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
yep mine to.. :D

Detleg
07-31-2013, 09:32 PM
wow this oughta be good, maybe i just sit back and observe lol

Rockford
07-31-2013, 10:05 PM
A fun thing i came to think of..

2 members,, To team up with each other, and work together, and the score from the duo, is the total of that duo (so to speak)..

how this is going to be done, i have no idea... i am only swedish

a lottery?

Teamwork

HiVizMan
07-31-2013, 10:07 PM
Paw you know you might just be on to something, I would like to see an AMD system and a Intel system pair up. So one user with AMD and one with Intel. That might make a pretty cool challenge you know.

Rockford
07-31-2013, 10:10 PM
yes, and i think we can learn much from our second part..

just a thought..

Leaving the brainstorm to you Viz..

Dartmaul
07-31-2013, 11:05 PM
AMD cpus aren't very popular among our guys...
Cooperating AMD and Nvidia GPUs would be more interesting IMO)

Menthol
08-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Team, nice idea just not for me, I don't want someone else counting on me to perform. I will probably just watch from the sidelines myself and bench silently alongside to see how I compare

HiVizMan
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Ok leave it to me guys I will come up with something. And then share my thoughs for fine tuning here in the thread.

Arne Saknussemm
08-01-2013, 12:04 PM
Ace! :cool:

I have to say I was thinking of the team thing too but then kind of like menthol thought gees I'd hate to lose a friend LOL....maybe team would be pressure when you got no time..

Myk SilentShadow
08-01-2013, 12:22 PM
The team thing is a good idea in theory, BUT, teaming up an AMD user and an Intel user is a bad idea, purely because right now AMD sucks in pretty much everything benchmarking...it would be left to the Intel user to do better to make up for the lack of good scores from the AMD user and that, is not fair. If something like that was to be done, you'd probably have to put huge caps on Intel users and that again, is not fair to the Intel users. If we had pure Overclocking Challenges, sure then that will be good, both sides can OC very well, even better if you know how to OC properly on air and of course amazing to transfer that to at least liquid cooling. And like Arne said, it would be hard for team work, especially when a lot of us work and are around the world, makes making time for OCing and Benching a real challenge when we're all in different Time Zones.

Yes, you have just read all that from a primarily AMD user and I for one, would not like to be partnered with someone who uses Intel and have them resent me, purely because my AMD CPU's for all intents and purposes, suck across the board in Benchmarking.

Arne Saknussemm
08-01-2013, 12:42 PM
teaming up an AMD user and an Intel user

Over my dead body!

LOL just joking....this would be great if we were benching side by side in the same room I could learn a lot about human suffering.....sorry, I mean an AMD system...it would be good to play with one.

Anyway....who's got an AMD system? are we all going to team up with Myk If 50 Intel systems average out with one AMD system there might not be such a drop in points :D:D

Really hope AMD pull some nice results out of the way they are headed and soon....that last chip they released I was speechless...

EDIT:

Should probably say that up to now you've done us proud HiViz in setting up whatever so at the end of the day I'm sure whatever you come up with is going to be fun and challenging so please feel free to ignore any of my opinions at least.... do what you think best!

Myk SilentShadow
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM
I have an AMD, or have you forgotten? lol I have yet to get my RIVF going, no CPU cooler right now for it. 1090T & CHVF to refresh your memory :p

Zka17
08-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Myk, that's what Arne said: "are we all going to team up with Myk"...

But, I do have an AMD system too... right now is my daily rig... but that can be changed...

However, I do not think that AMD and Intel should be mixed when it's about benchmarking... - everybody in it's own category, yes...

Myk SilentShadow
08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Lol mis-read the whole line, my bad sorry and which chip are you referring to Arne? the new Richland(?) aka 6800k?

Arne Saknussemm
08-01-2013, 01:45 PM
I think so..the new 5.0 GHz chip with the benchmark scores behind a 2600K....i mean I know it's a CPU GPU all in one and that's the way they are headed right but still....

Myk SilentShadow
08-01-2013, 01:52 PM
The only 5GHz chip, is the FX 9590 and that's ridiculously priced, none of the FM2 are stock 5GHz the 6800k is 4.1/4.4Turbo

Arne Saknussemm
08-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Yeah that's the one the 9590...kkn sent me a link to a review of it with bench scores so far below comparable Intel stuff I was kind of taken aback.

You guys know me I'm no fanboy of anything and I don't want to take the thread that way so...just a fan of performance ....I'll buy AMD like a shot if they can deliver that...until then I stick with what I have now...

Henkenator68NL
09-04-2013, 06:17 AM
Guys, I like the ideas that have been posted. Teaming up is a nice idea too! You can count me in ! I am looking forward the see what you will come up with Dagmar! As always you keep the hole team enthusiastic! By the way teaming up ... do i sense a country vs country battle ? As we do have several peeps from the same countries.

ganji
09-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Congrat's Zka, nikosa, menthol well done folks :D
Big thanks to HiViz for putting up the challenges.
My oc knowledge is still very limited so its good to be a part of such a great community and learn from others. There are some great mind's here and none of the usual "noob why u here" that you see in so many other communities.
Big thanks to all involved :D