PDA

View Full Version : G53SX display issues

legolas911
08-18-2011, 04:25 AM
I recently recieved the G53SX last week, and the monitor has started to display in colours similar to what you would see if you ran it in 16-bit.
The settings are at 1920x1080 resolution, 32-bit, and 60Hz.
If you look at the image below, the logon screen has a random blob of tinted green pixels at the bottom right of the screen. And when using windows, theres a yellow and green tinge to everything, etc. stuff that you will usually see in 16-bit mode.
I am curious as to why this is always doing this, I have the latest NVIDIA drivers installed (tried older releases too), used driver sweeper, etc.
The NVIDIA software doesn't seem to be causing this problem, and I'm starting to think that it's a hardware display defect.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/legolas911/4099cfcd.jpg
Green blob at the bottom right of the screen.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e205/legolas911/03462453.jpg
Look at the rings around the galaxy, they do not look right.

Chastity@ASUS
08-18-2011, 11:47 PM
I've seen that happen when the driver doesn't initialize properly, and the background images are generated to be 16bit. Changing the screen settings, and then reverting back to native settings usually fixes it.

legolas911
08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
I've tried that many times already, and the problem still occurs..

irdmoose
08-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I've seen flaky internal connections do this as well. If a driver reinstall doesn't fix it, then the next step would be to back up your data and do an OS recovery (or boot to another os via CD or USB) to see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's likely a hardware issue and should be RMA'd or exchanged through the retailer where you purchased it (which is likely faster).

legolas911
08-19-2011, 11:01 PM
I've seen flaky internal connections do this as well. If a driver reinstall doesn't fix it, then the next step would be to back up your data and do an OS recovery (or boot to another os via CD or USB) to see if the problem persists. If it does, then it's likely a hardware issue and should be RMA'd or exchanged through the retailer where you purchased it (which is likely faster).

Yep, I can't be bothered to restore off the partition/DVDs and then try it again.
I've arranged a cross shipment RMA with my vendor.

If anyone else has a similar problem with the G53SX though, post here because I want to hear about it.

Pidegy
10-26-2011, 08:08 PM
yehh i got the same problem white my g53sx, it worked fine like 2 days. then i was going to update my nvidia drivers and then, bang! i thinke it have somthing to do whit "Nvidia PhysX Utility" dont know how to thix the problem thoge"/ some helpe whulde be greate:D

Croco
11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
i m having the same problem, i think it started being like this when i had to use a magnet to start my g53sx
the magnet probably magnetized something

kagawa
12-18-2011, 09:04 AM
i also hv the same problem,,i already bought it about 3 weeks,,before this i hv this problem when playing games,,it become to normal when i press alt+tab,,but today this problem does not solve,,do anyone of u hve this problem solve?,,or should i sent this laptop to service centre?,,

Zeninsight
12-19-2011, 05:52 AM
I have it too. I noticed it when I was watching some anime and the screen had TERRIBLE color banding issues. Something is way wrong. I also have the latest Nvidia drivers. When windows starts up...even the Windows symbol itself, the one that pulses before the log-in screen, has the color banding problem. I'm afraid this is a hardware issue. I will be contacting Tiger (bought it from them) and Asus to figure out what is going on. I have an Ubuntu disc I can boot from. I will check for color banding (16-bit color appearance) and report back here.5020

Check out this pic. It's a perfect example of the problem. I tried all kinds of configuration with Media Player Classic. Also, I've seen the color get REALLY bad as well. Like it was 8-bit color or something. But I restarted the PC and that went away. Bizzaro. Paying 1K for a laptop with a screen that doesn't look perfect is NOT cool!

Second image about 1 second later during a fade away. I think it's even more apparent here.

dstrakele
12-19-2011, 06:01 AM
What version NVIDIA driver are you running? Are you sure it is the laptop version? When you upgraded the NVIDIA drivers, did you choose the "clean install" option?

Have you tried a Windows System Restore to an earlier time before this problem manifested?

Have you examined the resolution setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel? Does it match what is reported by Windows?

Zeninsight
12-19-2011, 06:10 AM
This has been an issue since day one. But just for kicks I will roll back the driver to before I updated it. Or may be I will just grab the driver from Asus site. I fairly technical and have a strong feeling that this is not driver related. It has been going on since day 1. Before I ever updated the driver.

285.62 installed currently. (I may try the 290.36 beta for kicks too)
Both Nvidia control panel and WIndows report 1920x1080 32-bit 60hz

By the way...thanks for asking..very kind of you to try to help.

Is there a specific drive for the screen itself I need to have installed?

dstrakele
12-19-2011, 06:24 AM
I think you've done enough troubleshooting, Zen. See if Tiger Direct will exchange it for a new unit and let ASUS worry about it.

Zeninsight
12-19-2011, 06:42 AM
I think you've done enough troubleshooting, Zen. See if Tiger Direct will exchange it for a new unit and let ASUS worry about it.

Yep. I couldn't roll back the driver. And when I went to the newest beta with a full clean install. Same issue. Must be either a defective screen (can't display full 32-bit)...or a defect video card. Can't push 32-bit color. I'm going to run it through my HDTV via HDMI and see if it does the same thing. Then I will know if it's the screen or the card.

damn it!!!

Zeninsight
12-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Ok. Looks like its the video card. I noticed somehting new. Not only does it have the same issue on my HDTV...but it actually looks worse after about 1 second of displat time. First it looks like my laptop screen does

Then after about 1 second it turns into this. (looks like even less color...more banding)

I'd say the GPU is defective at this point.

kagawa
12-19-2011, 11:35 AM
i already sent my laptop to asus service centre,,they say that the problem mybe because of the motherboard or the graphic card,,so i have to wait about 2-4 weeks until my laptop fully repair (hopefully within this range) ,,because the part is not available in my country,,damn,,i just use it 3 weeks,,miss my games already,,

Pr0cKz3d
12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
I've got the same problem on my G53-SX.

I've had the laptop for at least 4 - 5 months with next to no problems with it. It only started recently, with nothing i can really think of that could have caused it.

The strange thing though is that if i tap on the machine to the right of the touch pad, i can actually fix it with a firm enough strike (of course being extra careful not to hurt the machine.)

I think it must be some sort of connection issue with whatever hardware is located in that area.

I really hope there is some way to fix this, as I can not afford to be without this laptop for even a day. I use this not only for my personal gaming but for work as well and use it on a daily basis. Anyone who can help resolve this will have my undying gratitude.

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 04:37 PM
I've got the same problem on my G53-SX.

I've had the laptop for at least 4 - 5 months with next to no problems with it. It only started recently, with nothing i can really think of that could have caused it.

The strange thing though is that if i tap on the machine to the right of the touch pad, i can actually fix it with a firm enough strike (of course being extra careful not to hurt the machine.)

I think it must be some sort of connection issue with whatever hardware is located in that area.

I really hope there is some way to fix this, as I can not afford to be without this laptop for even a day. I use this not only for my personal gaming but for work as well and use it on a daily basis. Anyone who can help resolve this will have my undying gratitude.

The fact that you can temporarily resolve this display issue with a strike to the right of the touchpad confirms your issue is a hardware problem. I would be tempted to open the laptop and check connections in that area (although a strike in the area to the right of the touchpad may end up causing the resolving force in another area of the laptop). If I had to guess about what would cause such a display issue, I would suspect the video cable and its connections to the display and motherboard.

If you don't feel comfortable troubleshooting the innards of your laptop, you'll most likely need to begin the RMA process to get it repaired under warranty. Otherwise, you'll have to farm the job out to a qualified shop and pay for the repair.

Pr0cKz3d
12-27-2011, 06:37 PM
The fact that you can temporarily resolve this display issue with a strike to the right of the touchpad confirms your issue is a hardware problem. I would be tempted to open the laptop and check connections in that area (although a strike in the area to the right of the touchpad may end up causing the resolving force in another area of the laptop). If I had to guess about what would cause such a display issue, I would suspect the video cable and its connections to the display and motherboard.

If you don't feel comfortable troubleshooting the innards of your laptop, you'll most likely need to begin the RMA process to get it repaired under warranty. Otherwise, you'll have to farm the job out to a qualified shop and pay for the repair.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Hopefully it's just a loose connection between the two and can easily be fixed just by lookin at it. I've got a friend I can (hopefully) trust with looking inside it, as I really can not afford to ship it off like i said before. I don't believe something like this should void the warantee; afterall it's not like i'm dealing with Dell or something.

dstrakele
12-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Here is a G53 Disassembly video for your viewing enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdQi2GMQRu8

I'm not sure, but I think the technician discusses when you reach a point that would void the warranty.

Pr0cKz3d
12-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Here is a G53 Disassembly video for your viewing enjoyment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdQi2GMQRu8

I'm not sure, but I think the technician discusses when you reach a point that would void the warranty.

Haha, yeah. It seems you only void the warranty if you mess with the CPU, but everything else is up for grabs. Shame though, as it seems there is no way to mess with the video card despite it being modular. So much for ever upgrading past my GTX 560m

g53ok
12-29-2011, 12:09 AM
Had a similar situation, the banding was there only when I had the power mode at battery saving setting. When I plugged the adapter in and went to "Performance mode"(power4gear button) the banding went away! This was with the drivers that were installed at factory.

G53sx-a1

Just tried with the latest nvidia drivers and the banding is there only when POWER4GEAR is set at "Battery Saver" mode. Which I assume is how it's supposed to function re. battery saver

MrDigou
12-29-2011, 01:23 PM
I think i may have the same problem, recently my display went from black to red, and anything black is discolored to red,
Im thinking it may be my video card that is loose, or a driver problem,
I had a Boot error msg stating their was a problem with the display driver but the problem was fixed, im going to reinstall drivers and if that doesnt work reboot the OS,
if all fails ill open it up and see whats the problem.
I still have till jan 31 for full return, thank you holiday season

g53ok
12-29-2011, 07:46 PM
MrDigou
I think you may have a different problem as to the original posters concern.

dstrakele
12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Had a similar situation, the banding was there only when I had the power mode at battery saving setting. When I plugged the adapter in and went to "Performance mode"(power4gear button) the banding went away! This was with the drivers that were installed at factory.

G53sx-a1

Just tried with the latest nvidia drivers and the banding is there only when POWER4GEAR is set at "Battery Saver" mode. Which I assume is how it's supposed to function re. battery saver

Does the screen resolution change from True Color 32-bit to High Color 16-bit when you switch from High Performance to Battery Saver mode? It sounds like image quality drops down to allow power savings. In other words "by design" (as you surmised) rather than being a problem.

mrnotu
12-29-2011, 09:36 PM
I have been having the same problem. I think it started Dec 17 after a lenghty (140 MB) update. Having the same issues. I have done two restores to an earlier time with no effects. Reinstalled the drivers with a clean install. Readjusted the screens settings. The only other thing I know would be a clean install of the OS. I have two GPUs and I tried each one seperate did not help. When I had that update it was kinda strange. I had taken my laptop to the other room to use. I decided to use my desktop so I carried my laptop to the desktop and turned it on. The lap was already on and as soon as the desktop booted up both of them went into the update of my security system. I could not stop it. So I just had to sit back and wait for it to finish. 140 MB is alot of update I think. That is when I started having my problems. All of us canot be having the same hardware trouble at the same time can we? I ran scans with content cleaner, glary utilities, advance system5, combo fix, and norton with no joy. Seperately of course. I want to know what is going on.

Pr0cKz3d
12-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I have been having the same problem. I think it started Dec 17 after a lenghty (140 MB) update. Having the same issues. I have done two restores to an earlier time with no effects. Reinstalled the drivers with a clean install. Readjusted the screens settings. The only other thing I know would be a clean install of the OS. I have two GPUs and I tried each one seperate did not help. When I had that update it was kinda strange. I had taken my laptop to the other room to use. I decided to use my desktop so I carried my laptop to the desktop and turned it on. The lap was already on and as soon as the desktop booted up both of them went into the update of my security system. I could not stop it. So I just had to sit back and wait for it to finish. 140 MB is alot of update I think. That is when I started having my problems. All of us canot be having the same hardware trouble at the same time can we? I ran scans with content cleaner, glary utilities, advance system5, combo fix, and norton with no joy. Seperately of course. I want to know what is going on.

It could be the same hardware issue if it's a loose connection to the screen that is caused by something in the manufacturing process. I'm fairly certain my own issue with it is hardware related considering smacking the laptop fixes it.

legolas911
01-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Oh wow, I'm glad to see all the new replies since I've created this thread.

Here's a little update:
I sent the unit back to my vendor for a replacement over two months ago (the one seen in the photos).
The new unit was better, and didn't have any problems until about a month ago.
I transported my unit almost daily to and from school, and I realised that this is the cause of the problem (well for at least me, personally).
16-bit and pink pixels would display if I turned the laptop on, right after I took it out of it's sleeve when I was done transporting it.
So this validates the issue that someone else suggested.
It is due to either a loose cable, or a physically faulty GPU.
It's also true that the problem can be temporarily resolved by tapping on the palm rest to the right of the trackpad.
Another way is to lift the entire unit (or right half at least) off of it's surface and into the air.
Place it back down, and lift it up again a few times.
This can fix the problem for at least that boot cycle until you transport it again.

I'm debating whether I should send it into ASUS though.
The problem hasn't occured for me in two weeks now, and I have developed my own solutions to fix it anyways.
However someone else mentioned that ASUS was replacing the GPU/motherboard for them...which seems promising to permanently fixing this problem.
I just got an ASUS RMA issued today, however does anyone know if they will pay for my end of the shipping too (if I argue for it)? They just told me to send it to their address, which I'm not a very big fan of paying for.

Pr0cKz3d
01-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Well I can confirm now that a full clean install does not effect this problem at all. I have replaced the hard drives on my G53sx due to another issue, and started with a new fresh install of Win 7 and this problem still persists and has actually worstened lately.

I desperately need anyone who can help me find a way to fix this without RMA-ing it in any fashion. I need this computer for work and can not let it stay out of use for more than a weekend at most.

legolas911
05-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Update.
I RMA'ed it back to Asus (Canada), and only had to pay for shipping there.
They covered express shipping back though.

It took about a month in time for the full turn around (1 week shipping there on my cost), then 3 weeks with them, and only 2 days of express shipping back.
They had to replace the VGA board, which is the one and only source of this problem. Strictly hardware related.
However they had to wait for the part to be shipped in, which is why it took 3 weeks.

So I strongly suggest that anyone gets their laptop RMA'ed before their warranty runs out, otherwise you'll still have this problem down the road. Just bare in mind that they may have to wait for parts.

sos4ever
09-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I think i may have the same problem, recently my display went from black to red, and anything black is discolored to red,
Im thinking it may be my video card that is loose, or a driver problem,
I had a Boot error msg stating their was a problem with the display driver but the problem was fixed, im going to reinstall drivers and if that doesnt work reboot the OS,
if all fails ill open it up and see whats the problem.
I still have till jan 31 for full return, thank you holiday season

Bought mine from TigerDirect on Black Friday and had the blasted red problem on July 30 contacted Asus and they sent me an update which fixed the problem until yesterday. I run my laptop on high performance always so it had nothing to do with that aspect. Another curious bit of info is that when I record the display with Snap 4 Screen Recorder and circle the bad areas that are seemly bleeding through in vivid red they are normal which denotes to me that the problem has something to do with refresh rate. Any comments???

I will most likely RMA this piece of crap that I spent over a G on and buy another laptop and when I get this one back give it to one of my kids or sell it, as I use my laptop in business every day and I need a reliable laptop. I bought this originally because of the dual fans, fast processor and Geoforce GX 560M. So back to the drawing board as to what kind of laptop will replace this one. My 2 cents

oh and for anyone who wants to try the ASUS customer support NVIDIA download - it was good today 9/15/12 dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Drivers/VGA/nVidia/VGA_nVidia_Win7_64_Z817129616.zip Peace All. My next laptop will be local from Bestbuy or someone who has instant turn around - any suggestions would be much appreciated.

dstrakele
09-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Connect the laptop to an HDTV. Does your red video issue also appear on the HDTV?

tastypotato
10-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Update.
I RMA'ed it back to Asus (Canada), and only had to pay for shipping there.
They covered express shipping back though.

It took about a month in time for the full turn around (1 week shipping there on my cost), then 3 weeks with them, and only 2 days of express shipping back.
They had to replace the VGA board, which is the one and only source of this problem. Strictly hardware related.
However they had to wait for the part to be shipped in, which is why it took 3 weeks.

So I strongly suggest that anyone gets their laptop RMA'ed before their warranty runs out, otherwise you'll still have this problem down the road. Just bare in mind that they may have to wait for parts.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I feel that I need to share my experiences with ASUS RMA.

I had my laptop RMA'd for the same reason about.. six months ago. They replaced exactly the same thing - VGA Board.

Now I'm experiencing the same issue yet again. Thank GOD I got the extended warranty because if I hadn't I would be out of luck by now.

http://i.imgur.com/yU6Kc.jpg