PDA

View Full Version : G75VW Wireless Problems

DecadenceFTW
07-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for stopping by my thread. I know what your first thought is. You're wondering why someone is posting yet another wifi issue when there are countless threads and fixes across not only this forum but also the interwebz as a whole. :) Well, you'd be justified in your thinking, but I feel I have done a good bit of research to no avail.

Let's start with the basics. Asus ROG G75VW, standard Atheros AR9485WB-EG card. I would list my full hardware list, but I really don't think it's necessary. I have a Linksys E4000 series router, connected to my cable modem, which goes to the ISP. The cable modem in my scenario is not wireless. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

I got the laptop last year when it came out and it took me about 2 weeks to get the card working the way I liked. Recently, I wiped my hard drive and re-installed Windows for a fresh start. After the install of OS and drivers, I was having pretty bad latency issues when playing games over the wifi, as well as receiving the all-too-common random disconnects from my network. Please see router settings below:

Network: 2.4ghz
Channel: 6
Co-channel: 2
Overlapping Networks: 1

Channel 1 and 11 are both abused in my complex, with each of those having between 5-8 overlapping channels at a time. The 1 channel that is overlapping with mine is so weak, I'm sure that's not the issue. I use "inSSIDer" for network scanning.

I have the following driver installed for my wireless card:

Atheros 10.0.0.26

I have tried the 9.2.0.469 version off of the Asus website, as well as the 10.0.0.42 and .45 off of the actual Atheros site. I have read the troubleshooting page Asus has that includes checking FW settings, disabling AV, checking router, etc etc. I have disabled my Avast AV, ensured I had nothing conflicting with Windows Defender, turned Windows Defender off, changed my wifi settings to ensure I was as isolated as possible on my channel (that seemed to make my network run faster, somewhat). However, all that being said, I'm still having issues.

On a good day when things were working well, I was getting about 45ms latency playing WoW, and about 65ms latency playing COD:BO2. Now, I will get decent latency for a couple of minutes, but then spike to around 1200ms latency and stay there. I usually can't even fix the problem by resetting my wifi adapter, I generally have to restart my computer.

I know this is a lot, but as stated before, any assistance is greatly appreciated. If you would like more information about my computer, or network setup, feel free to ask away!! Thanks in advance.

~ ST

SpasTaz0917
07-31-2013, 03:46 AM
kind of ridiculous but a standard question.

have you tried playing online with a LAN cable?
different pings on a ping test? LAN vs WLAN

games on high graphics? (sometimes makes the ping higher when the laptop is struggling)

heavy WoW server? or a server on another continent.

But I am pretty sure that there's something wrong with that Wifi card drivers of yours..

since I don't have mine with Win 7 x64 I can't help much.
although ive got 2 of those Atheros cards at my desk at the moment..

but I would recommend changing out the internal Wifi card if you are out of warranty and/or just feeling adventurous :P
I replaced mine with intel 6235, worked fine. I've put it in my parents old ass laptop that doesn't even have 5GHz antennaes. it works fabulously albeit on a single stream ;) since the antennaes are old and doesn't support the frequencies.

it is not that hard to open up a G75VW laptop only a thousand screws or so.... but Youtube videos will help for opening it for the first time.

actually just bought an intel 7260 wireless AC card, looking forward to install it next week :)

aaand could you be a bit more specific of which model your linksys is? the E4200 or E4500 etc.