PDA

View Full Version : Lines across the screen. [solved???]

StOryx
07-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Just got a J750JW_V2G with a 765m and 311.41 drivers. I've noticed horizontal lines across the screen and was wondering if it's the drivers or the screen. I've only got a few programs (WOW,Steam,Winamp) installed so it's not those. When the laptop initially boots I don't see the lines, nor do I see them at the start screen/login. What can I do, save for returning, to remedy this issue? I've got a lot of my files transferred over already from my G74sx so I prefer not to reformat. Thanks.

EDIT:Just checked nvida's website and there's version 320 drivers out, going to update and post back in case anyone else is having this issue.

EDIT #2 (Issue Solved for now): Alright, for anyone else who may have had/having this issue, I poked around on the net and found uninstalling Splendid Utility may solve the issue. I uninstalled Splendid and the issue appears to be resolved. Also, it may be just me, but the image quality seems to have improved, could just be me though.

mihaimoga
07-31-2013, 04:14 PM
Just got a J750JW_V2G with a 765m and 311.41 drivers. I've noticed horizontal lines across the screen and was wondering if it's the drivers or the screen. I've only got a few programs (WOW,Steam,Winamp) installed so it's not those. When the laptop initially boots I don't see the lines, nor do I see them at the start screen/login. What can I do, save for returning, to remedy this issue? I've got a lot of my files transferred over already from my G74sx so I prefer not to reformat. Thanks.

EDIT:Just checked nvida's website and there's version 320 drivers out, going to update and post back in case anyone else is having this issue.

I bought my G750jx friday 26 july and have the same horizontal lines on the screen but besides that i had the stupid flickering too. I tried the newest Nvidia drivers but nothing change. Yesterday i've sent my laptop back and ask for a replacement. At least you don't have the flickering...the lines are not that bad..maybe nvidia will update their drivers and correct the issue.

mvadu
07-31-2013, 06:56 PM
I got a replacement due to a different issue (build quality, poor quality control with HDD bay door), and the replacement laptop now has this flickering and lines issue. Its visible only in certain conditions though. (e.g go to http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_6d#DriversAndSoftware and scroll down, the left and right gray panels are kinds flickering and some lines can be seen). Since its not consistent, I am pretty sure its a software issue. I am leaving the country tomorrow, so I don't have time to ask Amazon for another replacement either :(

The Thing
07-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Hi there!

Recently, I noticed that on WIN8 there are some horizontal lines in some games , for example: CODBO2 or Skyrim but in Dota 2 I can't see them. Yesterday I installed WIN7 and saw that there were none in every game I tested. So it's not the screen itself but the drivers . Just don't worry.

mvadu
07-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Hi there!

Recently, I noticed that on WIN8 there are some horizontal lines in some games , for example: CODBO2 or Skyrim but in Dota 2 I can't see them. Yesterday I installed WIN7 and saw that there were none in every game I tested. So it's not the screen itself but the drivers . Just don't worry.

Thank you for that confirmation. I can wait a month or two for Asus/NVIdia to figure out software glitches.

StOryx
07-31-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi there!

This is what I was hoping, thank you. I know Asus is sometimes sketchy about their products, but they always come through. My G74SX did not come with a numlock key, but a calculator key. Luckily, they fixed this with a BIOS update, it's just a matter of time.

Psycho Mantis
07-31-2013, 11:08 PM
I saw this on the display in store too, it showed up on the desktop and the windows 8 tiles, but not when i opened the weather app. Kind of a big turn off. But if I know that's gonna get fixed might help lol. Is the flickering thie laptops fault or can that be fixed with an update?

The Thing
08-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Flickering is mostly caused by the screen itself not drivers.. I remember when I had a PC, the connection between the screen and PC wasn't so strong and thus the screen flickered like hell....if your screen flickers then I suggest RMA. Meh, I will never buy from Asus...never ever in my life. So bad quality. Next year I'll buy another laptop, and this time it will be MSI though it has ****ty cooling, it looks good and has a bad ass keyboard. Or even Sager/Clevo. Can't wait. Peace out

psingh01
08-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Same issue was reported in June by some of us (just search this forum). I think there have been driver updates since then that didn't fix the lines issue.

The only "solution" that has been reported is to buy your own LCD and replace the one in this laptop....yeah, not something you probably planned on doing.

Personally, I returned mine for a refund (after a few exchanges...). I've monitored this forum to see if there has been a solution but I see a month later people are still having the issue. I wouldn't hold my breath on Asus fixing this anytime soon if at all. I don't think they've even acknowledged it as a problem.

Pitcher@asus
08-02-2013, 03:04 AM
could you provide me your BIOS verion, is it 207? thanks.

The Thing
08-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Well, there is a solution: go WIN7 lol.

derpcules
08-02-2013, 03:12 PM
I had lines and I got rid of them by uninstalling the asus program for colour tuning, I dont remeber what its called. It didnt matter what setting i had with it installed, once i uninstalled it I got perfect blacks both in games and browser. If youre still seeing them in farcry dragon blood, youre supposed to its part of the game (horrid effect combined with the crappy asus colour tuning software).

cl-Albert
08-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback derpcules (and StOryx in your Original Post updates).
I believe derpcules is referring to the ASUS 'Splendid' utility and if anybody wants to keep 'Splendid', there is a patch on the ASUS download site for Splendid that is supposed to solve the lines issue under the utilities section called "ASUS G750 Color Enhance Patch (The patch fix color issues in G750.)".

cl-Albert
08-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Actually, I don't use it myself either :).

c3141rog
08-06-2013, 12:19 PM
The black lines are a dithering pattern. At a distance, the alternating black lines blend together with the colored lines to make a solid, darker color. If this panel was being used in a desktop monitor (where you typically sit farther away from it), it would not be an issue. Closer, they are noticeable. Uninstalling the Splendid utility raises the gamma level to levels that are way too high (unless you go into the nVidia Control Panel and lower it again) so it gives the illusion of making the black lines go away but in reality you've just brightened everything so that there aren't as many dark areas where the lines typically show up.

The fact that the lines appear in Ubuntu (with the open source drivers) as well as Windows indicates that it is most likely not a driver problem. It may be possible to institute a work around in the driver to "trick" the panel into not dithering but I tried the usual registry settings for changing the dithering algorithm at the driver level (Registry keys DitherAlgo6 and/or DitherAlgo8 in CurrentControlSet) to no avail.

That means that the dithering is either being done by the video card BIOS or at the panel level. The former can be patched but flashing the EPROM of a panel typically requires special equipment.

TekNiko
08-06-2013, 04:19 PM
The black lines are a dithering pattern. At a distance, the alternating black lines blend together with the colored lines to make a solid, darker color. If this panel was being used in a desktop monitor (where you typically sit farther away from it), it would not be an issue. Closer, they are noticeable. Uninstalling the Splendid utility raises the gamma level to levels that are way too high (unless you go into the nVidia Control Panel and lower it again) so it gives the illusion of making the black lines go away but in reality you've just brightened everything so that there aren't as many dark areas where the lines typically show up.

The fact that the lines appear in Ubuntu (with the open source drivers) as well as Windows indicates that it is most likely not a driver problem. It may be possible to institute a work around in the driver to "trick" the panel into not dithering but I tried the usual registry settings for changing the dithering algorithm at the driver level (Registry keys DitherAlgo6 and/or DitherAlgo8 in CurrenControlSet) to no avail.

That means that the dithering is either being done by the video card BIOS or at the panel level. The former can be patched but flashing the EPROM of a panel typically requires special equipment.

This is the most insightful post I've read about this issue so far. Good job man. I sure hope it's fixable through a BIOS update. Although by my observation and troubleshooting, I'm pretty sure it's the screen :( It's pretty disappointing that the screen does this.

derpcules
08-06-2013, 04:46 PM

The fact that the lines appear in Ubuntu (with the open source drivers) as well as Windows indicates that it is most likely not a driver problem. It may be possible to institute a work around in the driver to "trick" the panel into not dithering but I tried the usual registry settings for changing the dithering algorithm at the driver level (Registry keys DitherAlgo6 and/or DitherAlgo8 in CurrenControlSet) to no avail.

Im sorry but you are wrong, atleast regarding my laptop. And alot of others I suspect. Please dont dismiss others having fixed their issues as this will only make people less versed than you in computers send their laptops back in vain without even trying to uninstall splendid. I dont have any lines regardless of gamma settings after I uninstalled splendid.

TekNiko
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Im sorry but you are wrong, atleast regarding my laptop. And alot of others I suspect. Please dont dismiss others having fixed their issues as this will only make people less versed than you in computers send their laptops back in vain without even trying to uninstall splendid. I dont have any lines regardless of gamma settings after I uninstalled splendid.

Can you check what display you have? Mine is Chi Mei 173HGE. We might have different displays.

Psycho Mantis
08-06-2013, 06:21 PM
After uninstalling spledid, I came back on these forums and the white text was blue, no thanks haha

derpcules
08-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Can you check what display you have? Mine is Chi Mei 173HGE. We might have different displays.

How do I check what exact display I have? All systems tools i have simply say generic pnp display. You should know I did a clean win 7 home premium install and Im not willing to revert to the original win 8 install simply to answer your question.

c3141rog
08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
How do I check what exact display I have? All systems tools i have simply say generic pnp display. You should know I did a clean win 7 home premium install and Im not willing to revert to the original win 8 install simply to answer your question.

Use HWInfo : http://www.hwinfo.com/

derpcules
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
Use HWInfo : http://www.hwinfo.com/

First off Thanks for that awesome systems info tool.

Second I have the same monitor as you do.

So now I guess its down to how does one prove to the other he is right? And if both do we can establish its a matter of faulty hardware.

want me to film my screen while im gaming or something like that?

TekNiko
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
First off Thanks for that awesome systems info tool.

Second I have the same monitor as you do.

So now I guess its down to how does one prove to the other he is right? And if both do we can establish its a matter of faulty hardware.

want me to film my screen while im gaming or something like that?

That would be really cool if you did that. If we can establish that only a subset of G750s has this issue with the display, then I that would mean that the display I have and many others have are in fact faulty. My fear at the moment is that a representative from ASUS might come out and say that the horizontal lines are working as intended. If we have the same monitor and only one of us has the horizontal lines, then that would warrant an RMA. :)

I took a picture with my camera of my horizontal lines in action. You'll notice that the lines are very evident on the hood and cloak.

derpcules
08-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Holy **** that is horrible, like a pre 2k alpha blend or something. I dont even know what that means I just remember it giving those square thingys. Ill film a 60 fps on my phone playing borderlands 2 and skyrim both at max settings so if its something motherboard related and it shows through fps/fluidity you might see it. I dont know; seemingly unrelated info might be helpful excluding reasons for the fault. Evil spirits live inside computers, their only goal is to annoy you with stuff that should have been obvious from the beginning ;)

Ill be back!

derpcules
08-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Listening to Bob Dylan - Hurricane atm. Cant just unplug, wouldnt be right. He couldve been the champion of the world!

derpcules
08-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Made two short movies for you showing....stuff, but no lines (I think, you be the judge)! Fair warning I have a hard time taking things seriously :P

Uploading....one of them...5 min hd video. I think. Real slow.

TekNiko
08-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I wish someone would change the title of this thread because this is most certainly NOT solved. :(

derpcules
08-08-2013, 02:43 PM
search "g750jx no lines" on youtube. Still processing atm.

derpcules
08-08-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErN7dYzhj2U

Im funny! Shut up! ;P

TekNiko
08-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Hey man, I really appreciate your effort in trying to resolve this issue with me. However, I'm still not quite convinced :(

Try this:
1. Open this image in your browser: http://hdwallsize.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Logo-Bioshock-Infinite-2013-Wallpaper.jpg
2. Open the NVIDIA Control Panel and go to Adjust desktop color settings.
3. Try these settings:
Brightness: 50% (default)
Contrast: 50% (default)
Digital vibrance: 50% (default)
4. Adjust and play around with the gamma slider and observe the test image on step 1.

When my gamma slider gets below .80, I start to see the lines. One thing I noticed in your video is that your wallpaper was very bright. The issue is with dark colors, mainly dark shades of gray. So setting the brightness way up high would actually hide the issue more rather than make it show. Try to observe the different shades of gray to find the lines.

I'm betting you'll see the lines too :(

derpcules
08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
The moxxi tit shot had plenty of dark, bright and transients! And tits!1!

Anyways I meticulously inspected every part of the the screen at different gamma settings and yes I do see lines in parts of the screen when the gamma is set to barely visible with all other settings at 50%.

BUT(T)!!!!

Meticulous as I am I tried ALL the sliders and the lines disappear if contrast is set to 0, regardless of gamma setting. Its a moot point for me personally since I would never set my gamma level so low to begin with, but if you feel you need to = kill the contrast and the BARELY VISIBLE lines (seriously i had to look like 2 cm from the screen to notice them. Also they shift from different shades of grey to another depending on gamma setting. Like you set it slightly higher and a different part of the cloud has the lines).

May I ask why you would want to set your display to barely visible? Since this annoys you im assuming thats the setting you want to use.

TekNiko
08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I actually use everything at their default levels. Brightness 50%, Contrast 50%, Gamma 50%, Digital Vibrance 50%. But I still get these lines. I know it's not present on every game, but it most certainly is very rampant on Skyrim to the point that I just stopped playing it because I'm really annoyed by it.

So the fact of the matter is that your display does the horizontal lines too. That rules out that mine is faulty and it looks like that it is just the default quality of the display :(

I was really hoping yours didn't do this so I can just get mine fixed through RMA. Now it seems that even if I do get the display replaced, I'll just end up with the same exact type of screen that shows these horrible lines.

zalbard
08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
I actually use everything at their default levels. Brightness 50%, Contrast 50%, Gamma 50%, Digital Vibrance 50%. But I still get these lines. I know it's not present on every game, but it most certainly is very rampant on Skyrim to the point that I just stopped playing it because I'm really annoyed by it.

So the fact of the matter is that your display does the horizontal lines too. That rules out that mine is faulty and it looks like that it is just the default quality of the display :(

I was really hoping yours didn't do this so I can just get mine fixed through RMA. Now it seems that even if I do get the display replaced, I'll just end up with the same exact type of screen that shows these horrible lines.
Keep replacing until you get a different screen or a refund.
Or get them to test the unit before shipping it back to you.

derpcules
08-08-2013, 06:42 PM

I think you should replace it because I can play skyrim with no visible lines. Maybe it is a basic fault of all of these panels but yours are much worse. Looks like it did on mine when I had splendid installed. Also there was talk of a bad first batch of laptops mainly from best buy that had this line fault.

Also try setting contrast to 0 that made my lines disappear completely even at lowest gamma.

Ill take some pics of skyrim if I get a chance tonight, default settings.

StreetGT
11-17-2013, 11:57 PM
fix that ****ing problem, even G75VX have that problem.

Lazy Asus!